Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Springs Gone?

Hooper

According to some poster over at the Post's Redskins Insider blog, the Skins and Springs are definitely parting ways. According to others on that blog, this poster is never wrong about these kind of things and gets all their info from a very knowledgeable source. Their 100 percent sure Springs is not going to be a Redskin next year. Does Andyman still post here? Maybe he can weigh in.

That would be great. Release him and Brunell and I get some sign that the F.O. has a clue.

Because you think he's too old/injured? If we get Clements, I could see the argument that it's time to get his contract out of the way and let Rogers develop, but what about all of the "Springs to play safety" talk?

Because you think he's too old/injured? If we get Clements, I could see the argument that it's time to get his contract out of the way and let Rogers develop, but what about all of the "Springs to play safety" talk?

probably more gibbs smoke and mirrors talk. just like when gibbs said he hoped archuleta stayed on the team haha.

do we take some enormous cap hit if he goes?

His cap number for this year is 7.358 - his total outstanding bonus money of 7.249 = a cap plus of 9k.

We would then have to add in the cost of his replacement on the roster, but it is doable.

If we make it a June 1st cut then we would actually save about 4 mil this year and and next (guesstimating on those two numbers)

Also this takes a contract of 7.484 and 8.484 off the books for an aging player over the next two year.

I want to see him back as a SS and corner depth but this may be the best thing for the franchise if we sign Nate Clements and another starting caliber NB.

His cap number for this year is 7.358 - his total outstanding bonus money of 7.249 = a cap plus of 9k.

We would then have to add in the cost of his replacement on the roster, but it is doable.

If we make it a June 1st cut then we would actually save about 4 mil this year and and next (guesstimating on those two numbers)

Also this takes a contract of 7.484 and 8.484 off the books for an aging player over the next two year.

I want to see him back as a SS and corner depth but this may be the best thing for the franchise if we sign Nate Clements and another starting caliber NB.

Keep in mind, if I'm remembering correctly, we can now do one or two "June 1st" cuts before June 1st.

Springs may be old and battled, but he is still by far the best CB we have on this team. Even at less than a 100%, he was able to blow Carlos away.

Blow carlos away? Springs has lost a step, and it showed. I remember several times last year reciever was open in the endzone and springs was always a step behind. He doesnt has the same speed anymore, and it is hard for him to keep up with people.

Carlos showed some signs of potential last year. What I dont understand is how people can blame our front seven for the cause for Sean Taylors problems, but when it comes to rogers, it is all his fault. Los was matched up with top recievers last year, and somwhat held his own.

This is kind of going out on a limb, but I still think Rogers can turn into our #1 corner

Blow carlos away? Springs has lost a step, and it showed. I remember several times last year reciever was open in the endzone and springs was always a step behind. He doesnt has the same speed anymore, and it is hard for him to keep up with people.

Carlos showed some signs of potential last year. What I dont understand is how people can blame our front seven for the cause for Sean Taylors problems, but when it comes to rogers, it is all his fault. Los was matched up with top recievers last year, and somwhat held his own.

This is kind of going out on a limb, but I still think Rogers can turn into our #1 corner

carlos rogers shut down steve smith, he shut down torry holt, and he shut down the saints and won that game for us. he is a good cornerback, and he has the ability to be an elite cornerback. if we had a defensive line, youd see that. he dropped like 8 SURE THING interceptions, and he already said he wants to work with the receivers this off season to work on catching. imagine if he could actually catch? im glad hes always near the ball. he was torched badly twice this year, and thats all.

because some people are idiots that repeat what someone else wrote. Carlos will be fine, sure he needs to work on catching the ball but he is great against the run.

because some people are idiots that repeat what someone else wrote. Carlos will be fine, sure he needs to work on catching the ball but he is great against the run.

Main reason why I don't post much in the stadium anymore.. Parroting moron's who have no real clue.

Because carrying Springs and Brunell for one more year and THEN cutting them would cost over 7.5 mil in dead money in 08. Restructuring them probably ups that cost to over 11 mil. That's about 10% of our cap for next year gone so that we can hold onto two aging, fading players who can't stay healthy. Or, the restructures could make the team decide that, so long as the two can still walk upright, they might as well hold onto them for even another year, at a cost of probably 17 mil or so, plus still some dead money in 09.

And, with all that, you still have to sign a CB capable of starting because you just can't plan around Springs. And it raises the strong possibility that we go into 08 with a young Campbell backed by two new QBs rather than at least one who had 07 to learn the system and get used to his team.

Bottom line: A front office that isn't doing things based mostly on wish-casting ("Hey! Maybe Springs and Brunell can stay healthy this year! Maybe Springs turns into a Pro Bowl Safety! Maybe Brunell returns to 2000 form and takes us to the Super Bowl!") and extreme short-sightedness ("We can re-structure them and save a few mil in cap space now. What? 2008? Why worry about that? That's like ten years away, isn't it?") would bite the bullet and get rid of them now, find their replacements and actually plan for a future that's more than 10 months away.

I hope it's not true. Springs had a tough year with injuries, and the D itself took several blows to its pride and their collective chins. The grumpiness I imagine has a lot to do with expecting to be a Superbowl contender and then winding up contending for the number one pick in the draft. It's quite a discouraging fall. For fans it hurt, for some players I bet it hurt even more.

Archived