Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Springs Gone?

Hooper

Because carrying Springs and Brunell for one more year and THEN cutting them would cost over 7.5 mil in dead money in 08. Restructuring them probably ups that cost to over 11 mil. That's about 10% of our cap for next year gone so that we can hold onto two aging, fading players who can't stay healthy. Or, the restructures could make the team decide that, so long as the two can still walk upright, they might as well hold onto them for even another year, at a cost of probably 17 mil or so, plus still some dead money in 09.

And, with all that, you still have to sign a CB capable of starting because you just can't plan around Springs. And it raises the strong possibility that we go into 08 with a young Campbell backed by two new QBs rather than at least one who had 07 to learn the system and get used to his team.

Bottom line: A front office that isn't doing things based mostly on wish-casting ("Hey! Maybe Springs and Brunell can stay healthy this year! Maybe Springs turns into a Pro Bowl Safety! Maybe Brunell returns to 2000 form and takes us to the Super Bowl!") and extreme short-sightedness ("We can re-structure them and save a few mil in cap space now. What? 2008? Why worry about that? That's like ten years away, isn't it?") would bite the bullet and get rid of them now, find their replacements and actually plan for a future that's more than 10 months away.

That is why springs and MB where asked to take pay cuts instead of restructure. I think MB is wise enough to see that he would be hard pressed to find a roster spot let alone a starting gig. Springs will probably land a higher pay for the year if he is released.

I think this is a pride issue with Springs, why should he take a pay cut and be the first starter in recent memory for the skins to be the one to do it. He knows he is the best CB on this team and trying to leverage that. If we do restructure him and he stays it is because one side blinked at the eleventh hour.

I hope this is the new policy of the FO, we need the skins to start to do this type of thing in order to turn this ship around.

I hope we don't get rid of Springs because then we need 2 corners.
My thoughts exactly. I think the jury is still out on Rogers, he does have potential and has had a few great games, particularly against the Saints last year. With a decent D-Line, he'd shine even more, but if Springs leaves, what happens when Carlos gets hurt?

*shiver*

Only one of 2 possibilities are true here.

1. This is a rumor and will die as all rumors do.

2. This is true and Springs is gone. If so, then Clements will be a Redskin. Snyder will not dump Springs and then be outbid for Clements. Redskin One will be picking up Clements at 12:00 AM on March 1st and he will be signed at 1:00 AM.

That is why springs and MB where asked to take pay cuts instead of restructure. I think MB is wise enough to see that he would be hard pressed to find a roster spot let alone a starting gig. Springs will probably land a higher pay for the year if he is released.

I think this is a pride issue with Springs, why should he take a pay cut and be the first starter in recent memory for the skins to be the one to do it. He knows he is the best CB on this team and trying to leverage that. If we do restructure him and he stays it is because one side blinked at the eleventh hour.

I hope this is the new policy of the FO, we need the skins to start to do this type of thing in order to turn this ship around.

Paycuts would be one thing, though they don't change the dead cap figures.

There MIGHT be a chance Brunell would actually accept one. But Springs? No way. Someone would give him at least 4 mil in bonus and salary if he were cut, so why should accept less than that to stay?

Was he considered a core Redskin at the end of last season? I think Gibbs considered Brunnell to be one. So that would be two down most likely? If they can't find something for Archuleta that makes three players gone. Now they are filling roster spots and plugging holes. We then have history repeating itself. I'm not saying keep Springs or Brunnell. I'm saying it looks like they keep digging holes that are going to be hard to get out of.

Cut Springs, take a very large cap hit, and then pay Nate Clements Champ Bailey money even though A) he's nowhere near as good (a healthy Springs is better in fact) and B) we have so many holes to fill paying out another huge signing bonus is flat-out insane.

I just can't see it happening. This front office has to learn at some point. Doesn't it?

Paycuts would be one thing, though they don't change the dead cap figures.

There MIGHT be a chance Brunell would actually accept one. But Springs? No way. Someone would give him at least 4 mil in bonus and salary if he were cut, so why should accept less than that to stay?

They don't change the dead cap figure but we could say as a example do this.

Springs figures for this year are

4.875 Salary + 2.483 bonus money due = Cap figure of 7.358

If we offer to cut his salary by say two mil, he would then make 2.875 + 2.483 = a new cap number of 5.358 for a savings of two mil.

He would then play out this year and the cost of cutting him next year would be 4.97 ish million. or a savings of around 4 million off the cap next year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MB salary go down to hopefully 1 mil but more realistically around 2 - 2.5 mil to save about 3.2-2.7 mil this year.

Yes I agree that he will get at least a 5 mil bonus by someone so that is the reason he is probably gone next year.

How about Asanti Samuel? What's the latest on his contract situation?

The Pats put the franchise tag on him. Besides, I think alot of people (including myself) were kinda wary about this guy, considering there's a good chance he's another "Belicheck System" creation or whatever.

But yeah, if Springs is gone, we might as well start printing out the Clements jerseys right now. I really would like Smoot to come back though ....

The Pats put the franchise tag on him. Besides, I think alot of people (including myself) were kinda wary about this guy, considering there's a good chance he's another "Belicheck System" creation or whatever.

But yeah, if Springs is gone, we might as well start printing out the Clements jerseys right now. I really would like Smoot to come back though ....

Smoot and Clements coming here would be great, only if Springs is gone. If Springs is here, then I say we go Smoot and Harper.

This would be a terrible move. If we cut Springs and keep Brunell at ANYTHING more then a $1 million deal then this whole operation is a sham......

All we're doing is creating additional holes to fill with minimum draft picks.....Oh wait, we can go back to FA which sure has worked out great for us.

Well, Springs was running his mouth at the end of the season. Lots of sources are pointing to the Skins going after Clements. Springs has a history of injury and Williams makes a point at players being available to play. Williams knows and probably likes Clements. So, this could be true.

Assuming this is true, I would just cut Springs and call it a wash. Get him off the books after this year. The FO can structure any new contracts to be cheap the first year. Heck, they do that all the time anyway.

Archived