Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wynn and Daniels possible cuts?

RWJ

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2007draft.html

02/08...I'll be updating this blog DAILY once the Combine and NFL free agency rolls around... but even though this is a quiet time of the year there are several rumors making their way around the league...in Minnesota...the Vikings are rumored to be interested in Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald and may be willing to part with the seventh pick overall in the upcoming Draft in a package deal to land him...keep in mind...Fitzgerald is from the area and was a Vikings ball-boy while he was growing up...plus Fitzgerald was drafted by former Cards Coach Dennis Green who no longer is with the club......in Washington...the Redskins have a salary cap mess on their hands and will need to trim some of the fat to get under the Cap before Free Agency hits in March...because of salary cap ramifications...many of the Redskins recent free agent acquisitions are virtually untouchable including free agent busts WR Brandon Lloyd and S Adam Archuleta...however...from what I'm hearing... DE's Renaldo Wynn and Philip Daniels may BOTH be Cap casualties by the time March rolls around...Stay Tuned!

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2007draft.html

02/08...I'll be updating this blog DAILY once the Combine and NFL free agency rolls around... but even though this is a quiet time of the year there are several rumors making their way around the league...in Minnesota...the Vikings are rumored to be interested in Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald and may be willing to part with the seventh pick overall in the upcoming Draft in a package deal to land him...keep in mind...Fitzgerald is from the area and was a Vikings ball-boy while he was growing up...plus Fitzgerald was drafted by former Cards Coach Dennis Green who no longer is with the club......in Washington...the Redskins have a salary cap mess on their hands and will need to trim some of the fat to get under the Cap before Free Agency hits in March...because of salary cap ramifications...many of the Redskins recent free agent acquisitions are virtually untouchable including free agent busts WR Brandon Lloyd and S Adam Archuleta...however...from what I'm hearing... DE's Renaldo Wynn and Philip Daniels may BOTH be Cap casualties by the time March rolls around...Stay Tuned!

Eh....between injury and general ineffectiveness these wouldn't be too big cuts.

According to an ESPN article here, http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2758756, the Skins are 4.3 Mil under the cap.

probably due in part to the Jansen extension.

I can see both being cut, and I really would not mind. I see them keeping Daniels though, I think his cap number may be lower than Wynn's. Wynn probably has a 3-4 million hit which would help us big time. I see Patten going too.

Being 4.3 million under already is a good start. Cutting Wynn and/or Daniels will give us at least 3 milliong more. Re-structuring/releasing Brunell will help, as will releasing Patten. Each would add at least 2 million more in savings (im not too sure of the numbers right now, so it'll probably be more). I'm not terribly worried about our cap situation, it's always lots hype about cap hell that never comes true.

I think this would be an indication we want to go a "new direction" with the d-line, hopefully meaning younger and better.

get wynn and daniels out of here. use that sykes guy for depth and hopefully we draft a DE.

i really hope the coaching staff works with golston and montgomry because i think when they were drafted the staff was hoping they would evolve into the starters. golston already proved hes ready, montgomry isnt quite there yet, but hopefully he will be. think of the youth on that D line if we had those two starting, and drafted DE stud, and andre carter.

We signed all the practice squad guys, some CFL player and some random young players. It's a full roster, not one we want to start the season with but much more than 43.

You're right, but some of the contracts signed by these players may or may not count as of yet. I'm not sure. Some are just TC fodder.

If one of the two has to go, I want it to be Daniels. Wynn isn't a world-beater and never was/will be, but he's been consistent and he's durable. Plus, he has tenure and I think that that still counts for something.
Well, if we cut them, Daniels saves 1.9 mil, Wynn saves 2.5. Also, Daniels was the starter over Wynn this past year for a reason. I think we will cut Wynn, restructure Daniels by adding a third year to his deal(lowering his cap number by about a million) and draft our DE of the future with the #6 pick.

Redskins salary cap hell, much like the boogy man, does not exist. You will get a definitive picture of the Jersey Devil, or Bigfoot, before you see the Redskins in the dreaded and fabled "Salary Cap Hell" .

Sure it doesn't exist if you define in the way you appear to be doing.

Salary Cap Hell doesn't exist if you are totally fine with all of your money being tied up in a handful of players who you have to restructure each year (thereby making it more difficult to cut them when they don't perform). Salary Cap Hell doesn't exist if you don't mind razor thin depth on your team. Salary Cap Hell doesn't exist if don't mind having aging players who you can't afford to cut.

If you want to build a deep team that is quality across the board and the flexibility to make key changes each off-season, then you can't manage the cap the way we have.

Look, I've said it once and will continue to say it as long as there fools who defend Snyder's insanity: if what we did made good sense under the salary cap, every team would do it. No other team does it. That alone should tell you how stupid it is.

So, you are right: "Salary Cap Hell" will never happen if you define it the way you do. We can always defer salary to the next year's cap hit and pass on talent for cheap bodies to just fill the roster.

But if you want to build a dominant franchise, then we are salary cap hell when you look at the depth and age of our roster, how close we are to the cap compared to who we have under contract, the lack of flexibility with our players we have, and worst of all, how our salary cap status looks going forward.

I think the Skins will trade Clinton Portis and let Salavvea, Wynn, Evans, Daniels, Patton, and Holdman go.

again, refer to one of the countless "trade Portis" threads. While I know nothing is 100% for certain, Portis signed around a 16 million bonus when he was broght over. 16 million over 8 years, or 2 million a year pro-rated. Meaning, he has 10 million due, even if we were to free up 10 million, we cut/trade Portis, we can't sign anyone then, literally, anyone.

To pjfootballer, you are right. The "rule of 51" is in effect until teams have to trim the roster to 53. As in, only the top 51 players count against the cap until then.

Archived