Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help Name My Child!

macnoke03

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

i work with a guy named landon and may have used that name for my new son but i am not close to him and didnt want him to feel weird about it.

i ended up going with darius. but not the traditional pronunciation. my sons name is pronounced like the word are.

I remember this really interesting chapter towards the end of the book Freakonomics that talks about trends in baby names across several decades and how they're sort of cyclical, and even connect to or almost predict a baby's future success. It's heady, interesting stuff...check it out if you haven't already :2cents:

"Daddy, tell me the story about how you and Mom were inspired to come up with my name ?"

"Meh, we just did some poll on an internet message board where a bunch of drunk, hungover football fans cast their vote"

just messin with ya, man....those are all good names

I remember this really interesting chapter towards the end of the book Freakonomics that talks about trends in baby names across several decades and how they're sort of cyclical, and even connect to or almost predict a baby's future success. It's heady, interesting stuff...check it out if you haven't already :2cents:

They don't predict a child's success in any individual case. In other words, macnoke should not use Freakonomics to rule out certain names for his child. (Whether or not you were suggesting he should read the book for this reason I'm not sure.)

What the book does is analyze trends, essentially finding that families which choose certain names often share certain characteristics which reduce their child's prospects for educational success.

"Daddy, tell me the story about how you and Mom were inspired to come up with my name ?"

"Meh, we just did some poll on an internet message board where a bunch of drunk, hungover football fans cast their vote"

just messin with ya, man....those are all good names

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

They don't predict a child's success in any individual case. In other words, macnoke should not use Freakonomics to rule out certain names for his child. (Whether or not you were suggesting he should read the book for this reason I'm not sure.)

What the book does is analyze trends, essentially finding that families which choose certain names often share certain characteristics which reduce their child's prospects for educational success.

Nah, of course I'm not suggesting the book or the trends it references could mean much on an individual level. Should have been more clear...

I think in this (Macnoke's) case, it'd just be a cool reference to see the way trends play out in baby names... for example:

I say the names Esther, Mable, Eloise, or Ardath...Hugh, Harry, Sid, or Herman and you picture someone born in the early 20th century. Just like if I said, now: MacKenzie, Hayley, Brittany or Madison...Jordan, Clay, Tyler, Austin or Cole, you'd picture someone born more recently.

I guess my point is that Landon, Peyton and Dylan seem like names that would be, at some point in the future, easily identifiable as coming from a particular time period (or trendy)...maybe go for something more...classic?

Roman! We liked Roman a lot, but our last name starts with an "R" and my husband wasn't excited about the double "R". We opted, instead, for Maximus!

I chose Landon from the list above. I think it's the least common, but not so uncommon that he'll get picked on.

Of the names given I like Dylan, but then that's a fairly popular name right now. As for Peyton, well...other than Manning I normally think of that being a more feminine name. Landon, dunno, just sounds more like a last name to me.

For my son and daughter we went with

Ethan Conner

McKenna Bailey

As for the baby name books and websites, well one would think they are helpful, but they rarely are. You usually just end up laughing at all the odd names, and realizing that you really don't want to name your child Thor, regardless of the meaning.

I was never much on the meaning of names, they always seemed pretty generic, like reading your horoscope or something. Our families wanted us to go with family names, but we didn't want them all fighting over which ones we chose so we just found some that we liked and that sounded good together and went with those.

However, our son was 3 days old before he got his middle name, and that was after we polled the nursing staff at the hospital, so voting is not all together unheard of in these cases.

IMO, go with your gut, find one that you like and that the kid will be able to live with for the next 80 years, and then pick that one.

Archived