Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TSN - Lions' Wilson signs with NFL's Redskins(Merged)

JimmiJo

Thats the point im making......

There is no one in college you can be sure of either so why not give this guy some of the same respect?....

there are a lot of folks in college who can be reasonably projected with high probability to play well in the NFL.

that said...I agree that there is nothing wrong in being optimistic while acknowledging that we have no idea what this guy can do.

You guys....

Signing number one and you behave like this one signing has devastated the 2007 season already.

He is either brought in as camp fodder or with a legit chance to make the team.

He may be used in pass rushing packages, moved to a linebacker position to attack or bulked up and may or may not have the hunger and skill to provide help in run defense and or pass defense.

Thats what mini and training camps are for.

Navy Dave nails it again.

You guys....

Signing number one and you behave like this one signing has devastated the 2007 season already.

He is either brought in as camp fodder or with a legit chance to make the team.

He may be used in pass rushing packages, moved to a linebacker position to attack or bulked up and may or may not have the hunger and skill to provide help in run defense and or pass defense.

Thats what mini and training camps are for.

I see a couple of people overreacting, but for the most part I see people discussing what position he'll play due to his size.

Yeah, you're right he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Dexter Manley. :laugh:

When comparing size and how he got to the NFL of course he does.:laugh:

Im sure every draft expert and scout were all over manley when they signed him...Im almost sure of it...:rolleyes:

I bet if there were an ES back in those days the server would have crashed due to the over whelming support of the beloved redskins... signing the highly touted and soon to be Hall of fame Dexter Manley...:notworthy

Interestingly enough, Wilson was the only starting member of the Lions defensive line not to be named to the CFL Western Division all-star team.

Uhhh... that seems strange. But at least the Skins are out there looking for camp fodder. Besides, he could pull a Reed Doughty -- make the team because there's absolutely no one else to compete for the position.

The only thing I would add is that IMO it is harder to get sacks in the CFL, as there are more receivers who are already at full speed at the line when the ball is snapped AND they have the 1-yard neultral zone between the lines. So, the rusher has to go farther (on less plays, only 1st and 2nd down) to get to a QB who has more throwing options who are already running full-speed.

Reminds me of Jesse Lumskin ... the RB brought in from Canada last year. De ja vu eh?

The signing is only questionable if you are overrreacting to it.

The Redskins aren't touting this guy as "the next big thing".

Just someone who has played very well in the CFL and they are giving him a chance.

Maybe he'll work out. Maybe he won't even make it through training camp.

But he isn't costing them anything seriously.

It's just funny watching how folks react to signings like this.

He wasnt even the best DE on that team. Brent Johnson was on the other side and he commanded double teams and lead the league in sacks. I have never heard of this man "Wilson" although I dont follow the BC team but the Montreal team. Im thinking they're going to make him into a LB.

Also the weight isnt a problem, in the CFL all the players are lighter due to the field being larger so everybody has to be able to move quickly sideline to sideline. Also the offensive lines in the CFL arent that big so theres no need for the DE's to be either.

all he needs is 10-15 lbs...you guys are stressing his weight way 2 much..we have the whole offseason to go! he can gain that much and even become a everydown DE....it juts depends on how good or how bad he wants it...

Hello logic welcome to this thread...:applause:

If we had hired a new GM and this was his first move no one would question if it had the potential to help or not

These are the types of signings I have wanted the Redskins to go out and get. Will he be a good player? I am not sure we will wait and see. I have never heard of him and that’s how I like it!!!

What I do know is he is fairly young and has EVERYTHING to prove on a short and cheap contract. If he sucks – it costs us very little or nothing to replace him.

Good point... :applause:

Hello logic welcome to this thread...:applause:

If we had hired a new GM and this was his first move no one would question if it had the potential to help or not

I'm open minded about seeing where this goes.....but laughing just the same at the notion that a 255# DE can cut it! the LB thought may be spot on.

we already have a skinny DE that wears 99............

is that carters twin brother?

Kills me how people on this board hear something spewed somewhere about someone being too small and suddenly it's gospel. Here's a little education for you.

Jason Taylor 6'6" 255

Michael Strahan 6'5" 255

Dwight Freeney 6'1" 268

A. Carter 6'4" 265

Stacked up against some of the best in the league it appears he's the prototypical size for a DE. We're talking DE here not DT. :applause:

The signing is only questionable if you are overrreacting to it.

The Redskins aren't touting this guy as "the next big thing".

Just someone who has played very well in the CFL and they are giving him a chance.

Maybe he'll work out. Maybe he won't even make it through training camp.

But he isn't costing them anything seriously.

It's just funny watching how folks react to signings like this.

:applause: :applause: There you go, if he's a bust he's training camp fodder. He doesn't cost the team anything against the cap so whats the big freaking deal?

so how many million was the signing bonus and how many draft picks did we forfeit?

j/k

:rolleyes: These kinds of responses are so very tired. Enough already.

I think its a great signing, a low risk/high reward kinda deal. Im sure we'll sign him to the league minimum, or close to it.

If he works out, its a great deal. If he doesnt work out, its not a big deal. But give the team credit for making an attempt to patch some holes.

Some of you are more happy being miserable.

There's really nothing to discuss or get excited about here. "We'll see," is all that is appropriate. He's small and he couldn't make it into the NFL, that doesn't preclude him from breaking out, but don't get your hopes up. I don't know if I'll be excited about a single signing or draft pick until this team shows some execution on the field.

Kills me how people on this board hear something spewed somewhere about someone being too small and suddenly it's gospel. Here's a little education for you.

Jason Taylor 6'6" 255

Michael Strahan 6'5" 255

Dwight Freeney 6'1" 268

A. Carter 6'4" 265

Stacked up against some of the best in the league it appears he's the prototypical size for a DE. We're talking DE here not DT. :applause:

And i also added these guys earlier....:applause:

A. Ogunlye 6'4 260

Alex Brown 6'4 260

M. Anderson 6'4 255

Terrel Suggs 6'4 260

J. Taylor 6'6 255

J. Abraham 6'4 258

I think the fans have never been able to forgive the front office for the early years when they were young and hasty...and kind of look too deeply into everything now.....

I look at a guy like this as the 4th round pick we lost for Lloyd....:cheers:

If this guys turns out to be a nice speed rusher or just a good DE period I will revisit this thread and open a crow buffet....:laugh:

They didnt just invite him to camp... they brought him in early so obviously they know something we dont...

[\QUOTE]

ROFLMFAO!!!!

Sorry but I'm CONVINCED that there is nothing this current front office knows that we don't know on this forum. It seems like almost every decision they made was a disaster this year. I'm not very optimistic.

Archived