Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoooot: Possible FA pickup?

tehhunter

I hope you are kidding. He's been benched in MIN cause of poor play. WTF would you want a player like that? NO MORE lame-duck vets that arent cutting it on other teams. Build from the draft! Get Marcus Mcauley from Fresno St. please. Best cover corner in college ball

But, as we've painfully learned in free agency, one has to wonder if it's the system. Here, he was a bonafide corner who made plays, not just covering, but also offering run support. I think he's been humbled by his stay in Minnesota and being able to start over again in Washington will be win-win for him and the Redskins.

I don't think you can assume that he won't ask for a huge contract. He doesn't deserve a huge contract. He didn't really even deserve a huge contract when he left (He was a #2 CB). He certainly doesn't deserve one now.

Unfortunately, between his ego and our track record for overpaying, Smoot will get paid if he comes here. In that case, I'd rather spend a little extra to get Clements.

He is certainly worth signing for a reasonable price, but when have we ever paid a reasonable price for anybody?

I hope you are kidding. He's been benched in MIN cause of poor play. WTF would you want a player like that? NO MORE lame-duck vets that arent cutting it on other teams. Build from the draft! Get Marcus Mcauley from Fresno St. please. Best cover corner in college ball

I'm for bring him back if the opportunity arises. He played well for us and he knows our system. I agree with the poster that said he shouldn't be given a starting spot. Have Smoot, Springs, and Rodgers compete. I'd take Smoot even at nickel DB over Wright, Rumph, or Jimoh.

Regarding Smoot being benched in Minnesota, it has more to do with his off the field issues than his ability. His brother was just killed in a car accident. I can understand him lacking his usual focus. Childress pretty much said that he wasn't sure if Smoot had recovered from his brothers death yet. I know if my brother was killed I'd be devastated :(

Hell yes bring him back! He LOVED DC! Also, Springs is just starting to play better again this season but the man is getting old and his injury bug seems to have come back to bite him again.

Smoot only left because another team offered him more money and a better contract...can't fault him for that. The Skins weren't exactly cordial to him, but I'll welcome him and his loveboat back with open arms.

Smoot would be a better nickelback than Kenny Wright.

Plus he has experience in our system.

I'd sign him so long as he knows it's not gonna be for a lot of money. He would provide an immediate upgrade to our nickelback position.

Um...Smoot's no nickel back, sorry to interject but the man is a bona fide starter.

Um...Smoot's no nickel back, sorry to interject but the man is a bona fide starter.

Well here he would be, until Springs retires or moves to safety...

Springs/Rogers/Smoot. As our best corners in that order.

Unless you suggest we open up the #2 position for competition between Rogers and Smoot, which would be interesting...

So we cut a guy that was consistantly injured, talked more than his game could backup, and wasn't liked by Joe Gibbs and G. Williams and you expect them to bring him back?

I wasn't a big Smoot fan when he was here. I could see it being a smart pickup if he got the smallest contract available BUT I highly doubt Gibbs bringing him back. There was a reason they let him go in the first place. It is a tough situation but I wasn't sold on him as a dominate corner in the first place, just a guy the fans liked. Id rather see that money going to extend Cooley a fan favorite that plays well consistantly.

Scott

Archived