Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoooot: Possible FA pickup?

tehhunter

Well here he would be, until Springs retires or moves to safety...

Springs/Rogers/Smoot. As our best corners in that order.

Unless you suggest we open up the #2 position for competition between Rogers and Smoot, which would be interesting...

They both could start.

Rogers is a good cover guy, who plays the run very well

Smoot is a better cover guy, who is OK vs. the run.

The starters could be

CB: Springs, Smoot

SS: Rogers

FS: Taylor

Nickle Packages

CB: Springs, Smoot, Rogers

SS: Vincent or Preliou or Arch (if he wakes up and remembers how to play)

They both could start.

Rogers is a good cover guy, who plays the run very well

Smoot is a better cover guy, who is OK vs. the run.

The starters could be

CB: Springs, Smoot

SS: Rogers

Nickle Packages

CB: Springs, Smoot, Rogers

SS: Vincent or Preliou or Arch (if he wakes up and remembers how to play)

I don't know. I don't think we drafted Rogers #9 to be a grossly undersized safety.

Interesting fact I picked up on another NFL forum. Smoot is due 12 mil next season by the Vikings, and is a certain cap cut (i.e. he is definetly a FA). What are the chances that we'd pick him up to shore up our own secondary / would you as fans welcome him back or shun him?

Honestly, I can see why he would leave for that much money. But seeing as he had an off year this year, he couldn't ask for an equal salary, and also the cap is projected to go to 109 mil this year.

So yay/nay for smoot?

Why would we want a dude that hasn't been playing terrible ever since he left us. The Vikings benched this man and you are saying he's going to sure up our secondary. I really doubt that.

I wouldn't mind having him back here, so long as he doesn't cost us an arm & a leg. Wait a minute, what am I talking about? Of COURSE he's gonna want an arm & a leg...& the Vikings will want the remainder of our draft picks & a VW Beetle for every staff member & player on the roster. And Snyder would probably be willing to do it, too. :doh:

But to answer the question, IF the price was right & Smoot became a Redskin again, I would gladly welcome him back.

I'd take him back. but heres the problem

With Springs, Vincent, Fox, Rogers, and Taylor... someones goint to have to sit if smoot comes in, would it be carlos? or vincient? hrms

Do you think Vincent is even going to be here next year? And quite honestly, I haven't seen Smoot play in a while so I could not attest to his performances as of late, but what I remember of him, if we had him AND Rogers, Rogers would never see the field.

I laugh at those who say they wouldn't want Smoot back Period. Smoot has proven he could at least be a #2 CB in this league. He did here anyway.

He would have to work very hard to return to #2 corner status. He was just benched recently for a corner back that has been injured.

"The Minnesota Vikings have demoted cornerback Fred Smoot, who has struggled in recent weeks with a groin injury and the death of his half-brother.

Coach Brad Childress said Friday that rookie Cedric Griffin has leapfrogged the veteran Smoot on the depth chart at right cornerback, though both will see plenty of action Sunday against Arizona.

"I think the best thing is that the guys that give us the best chance to win are on the field," Childress said. "It's on merit, and Cedric has played well and therefore he goes to the front of the line."

Complicating the issue is a neck and shoulder injury Griffin suffered against Miami. Childress said Griffin had "another episode" in practice Friday and is listed as questionable for the game."

Smoot seems to have lost that "swagger" he had. I personally felt his swagger wasn't helpful because it was self-serving while someone like Portis does it to lighten up the team.

Scott

I don't know. I don't think we drafted Rogers #9 to be a grossly undersized safety.

Vincent seems to have done fine in the SS position and he is no bigger (Weight wise) than Rogers, and Rogers is 10 - 15 lbs heavier than Preliou, who we seemed to like using in that role....

It really depends on how much we plan on using our SS in coverage. If that is the teams chief concern, then Rogers, Vincent, or Springs (as I have seen many recommend) would all represent good cover options. Of those three, I think the we would obviosly go with Vincent, unless we bring in another quality CB. If that is Smoot, I would like to see Springs stay as a starter (when healthy), and use Rogers in the SS role because it puts your best players out on the field more often.

Of course, who from the team is really listening to anything we say?

:2cents:

Archived