Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Pursuit of Happyness

Henry

Damn, what a dissapointment...

Based on the thread title, I thought Henry was going to watch all 6 Star Wars movies back to back, AND throw in the Clone Wars cartoons between EP II and III...

Oh well.... :paranoid:

Please.

I did that months ago. :)

Completely agree with you from the perspective of the opportunity he had, and was able to take ... not so much in agreement from the point of view that he and his young kid had to sleep in public restrooms.

All nations have citizens who live in delporable conditions.

Very few nations provide those particular citizens the opportunity to become fabulously wealthy.

Wait, he didn't seek government handouts and expect the government to take care of him???? Great story, truly great story.
You must've missed the affirmative action mentioned in the article.
Once Gardner passed his exam to become a stockbroker and the opportunity was his to seize, the success of the formerly homeless man was astonishing. He started with cold calls, was recruited by other firms, and eventually opened his own institutional brokerage firm in Chicago, benefiting from, among other things, government and pension fund rules that created business for minority brokers.
Also, the part where he lived in government-maintained public bathrooms and benefited from boardinghouses and homeless shelters that if not funded directly by the government, certainly received tax benefits.

This is a great country because as a people and a government we are willing to provide a helping hand to the less fortunate ... and this is a great country because some of those less fortunate individuals can take advantage of the opportunities we give them and to achieve great success like Gardner did through hard work and determination.

This is a great country because as a people and a government we are willing to provide a helping hand to the less fortunate ... and this is a great country because some of those less fortunate individuals can take advantage of the opportunities we give them and to achieve great success like Gardner did through hard work and determination.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Amen, I say, Amen. That was the best post I've read during my time here at extremeskins.

The article was great and I can't wait to see the movie.

And oh yeah, F#$% Dallas!!!

DjTj, my point was not that he didn't have help along the way in different shapes and forms but that he didn't "expect" anyone to help him. Too many people "expect" the government to take care of them instead of getting off there asses and helping themselves.
Sorry to kind of jump on you, and I definitely agree that people shouldn't "expect" the government to take care of them, but I don't think it's that easy to separate the people who expect help from the people who actually need help - they don't usually ask a lot of questions at the soup kitchen.

Charities and government programs don't really exist to serve freeloaders but for people like Gardner, and there are more people like him out there than you might think - maybe not millionaire stockbrokers but a lot of people who got back on their feet with a litle boost from government handouts. Hopefully this kind of story will inspire others in dire circumstances to aspire to bigger dreams beyond just being taken care of.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived