Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Reeling Redskins awash in troubles

JeffSchmeff

I was thinking AA at first because of his obvious frustration mentioned through his agent but when the article speaks of the history of the organization I agree that it was probably Springs.:2cents:

AA wouldnt have known about past years.

Its obvious someone who ha splayed for him all 3 years. They point out mostly towards the 2ndary. I hear very little linebacker talk and defensive line.

My guess is Springs. He is a vocal player and has seemed fed up with this season. Can't really blame him either.

He ought to be fed up about being injured every year, not about the team.

He's getting paid big bucks and playing very little. He's only played, what, 3 games this season?

nice little update

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2672668

Against Carolina on Sunday, the defense responded, flying to the ball more than it had all season. The secondary didn't bite on double moves or pump fakes, the safeties stayed deep, Rogers was flawless, there was a pass rush on Jake Delhomme without blitzing, and the much-maligned Sean Taylor ended the last two Carolina drives with a tackle and an interception. Whether the anonymous quotes rallied the unit or were ignored is unclear, although someone in the organization printed them out and passed them around the locker room Saturday morning. At their team meeting Saturday night, Gibbs simply asked the players to keep their grievances in-house, and the players took care of business and beat the Panthers, 17-13.

The major problem I have with GW is not his Xs and Os -- he's good at what he does; simply one of the best. The problem I have is his personnel gaffes, or at least the opinions about players he sends along to Coach Gibbs and company. For example, how does a coach think he can just "throw" guys in the lineup and let quality guys go.

That's because the mediots have been worshiping him as a defensive genius for so long he's believes it himself. He feels like his schemes are why his defense is so successful, not the players. That's why he doesn't hesitate to let players go. He wan't to prove that he's the reason for success not them.

Could you imaging playing football for a coach who makes you feel like your replaceable? He believes he's the reason the defense succeeds even though the players are the ones out there working their asses off on the field. Who would want to play for a guy like that? Would anyone on this board want to work for an arrogant prick like that? I know I wouldn't.

Everytime I'm praised for doing a good job the first thing I do is give props to the people under me. I know I couldn't succeed without them.

I agree, but for reasons regarding what is happening Now. I'm unfamiliar with the history of what happened in Buffalo -- other than he was fired. What happened there?

He lost his job due to his ego, the players and other coaches hated him and he tried to convince everyone in Buffalo that no one there knew what football was till he became the coach. There are many stories in tne buff papers about some of the comments he made that were just flat out wrong and stupid.

I have always been worried of him taking over after Joe leaves, after this article I do not have to worry about it :cheers:

hey, if articles like this motivate the players, keep writing em

Thats what I've been saying too.

Everytime something like this happens the team that gets blasted starts winning for a while afterwards. The Giants after their 3rd or 4th game won several in a row after Shockey ran his mouth off. It's happened a lot that I've noticed. You can't tell me that this whole thing didn't effect the team. Thats the first time the defense has played well for an entire game all season.

As for the unmentioned player, I don't think it's a member of the secondary based on the way corners on the island and safety play was discussed. It sounded like it came from someone outside that group.

Also, the knowledge of previous years suggests it's not a newcomer. Griff is a possibility, Marcus is a possibility as well. I lean toward a lineman based on the comments about 7 men in the box against the run allowing four yards a carry.

As for the unmentioned player, I don't think it's a member of the secondary based on the way corners on the island and safety play was discussed. It sounded like it came from someone outside that group.

Also, the knowledge of previous years suggests it's not a newcomer. Griff is a possibility, Marcus is a possibility as well. I lean toward a lineman based on the comments about 7 men in the box against the run allowing four yards a carry.

Griff was the one who said whoever that player is, they need to go home, leave the team immediately

Everyone points to Smoot, Pierce, and others that have been allowed to walk. We made competitive offers to every one of them. None of them would have been in position to get the offers they received without the opportunity the 'Skins gave them. If it comes down to the most money in each scenario, then they truly aren't playing for you, me, or the city. They are all about self-promotion and the big bucks.

I agree with you on Smoot, but I believe we lost Pierce and Bailey (he was begging to get out of town) due to this kind of stuff... they wanted to go to a team that had fewer of these kinds of distractions and dramas.

LOL! Somehow I just totally got a vision of Samuel L Jackson as a Skins fan.

Well Samuel L is from the DC area...

He's one bad mutha..shut yo mouth.. just talking bout Sam!

They posted an update to the article in a little side box. This article felt like I was reading the Monica Lewinsky scandle or something. Riveting stuff :D

GC

None of yuou guys know ****. The only difference between this web site and a bunch of old hens gossiping about men is.... well nothing. Just post fact not opinions. Opions do not matter unless you are part of the team.

If you dont like it stop reading them. Im not even going to curse u

Wow - I hadn't seen this on here. This is some shocking stuff:

Reeling Redskins awash in troubles

By Tom Friend

ESPN The Magazine

Archive

They're irrelevant by Thanksgiving again, and somehow there hasn't been steam coming out of Joe Gibbs' ears. I covered Gibbs in the '80s, the glory '80s, when losses were like death, when he micromanaged, when he used to bring in his struggling players and offer them a bible. One year, the punt team couldn't cover a kick, so he hired a second special teams coach. One year, a player anonymously ripped his methods in the press, so he called a team meeting and ordered the mystery player to raise his hand. Nobody did. He might've been cut.

That's ancient history now, because Joe Gibbs is 3-7 and, by all accounts, a grandfather figure at Redskin Park. You ask players what they think of him, and they say, "Good dude." If Joe Gibbs was 3-7 in 1987, nobody would've been saying "Good dude" -- they'd have been cursing him for the three-hour practices. Joe, the first time around, would've fixed this by now, but instead he appears to be a burned out coach again, who is allowing his defensive coaching staff to run amok.

Click the link for the rest:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2672668

WOW. That spoke volumes.

Coaches and players need to get in gear.

Let's hire a GM with a logical head on his shoulders to manage everything.

FIRE VINNY

Let's just hope Snyder reads this and chooses not to bring in Williams as a succesor to Gibbs. Wow.....Great article.

I bet Sean Taylor was the source....Of course, that's complete speculation but it would make perfect since for someone who avoids the media as much as he does to leak a little information. Especially considering how unhappy he has been with the moves that have been made and how badly he's played this year. The author was also harping on how Williams' "schemes" have made Taylor into a robot and restricted him.

Archived