Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wow: THIS guy had an 8-6 record as a starter here?

Larry Brown #43

Running him out of town was a colossal mistake. People whining about him choking in the playoffs is trivial, winning is winning. Before last year, Cowher had the same exact knock, but I'd take him in a second over just about any other coach in the league. Anyone who can consistently win like that through so many different teams/rebuilds has to be doing something right.

Man, if Marty could get an 8-6 record out of Tony freakin' Banks, who we yanked off the scrap heap that year after Dallas cut him loose, he just may have done a better coaching job that year than anyone realized.

IMHO Marty should have been given another year but when Spurrier left Florida there was nothing Marty could do to save his job. Spurrier was Mr. Snyders Dream Coach, or should I say Night mare coach.

Yeah, I completely forgot about Tony Banks. I think Marty just rubs people the wrong way. He can build a team over 3 years, but he has trouble finishing the job with a Super Bowl. Yeah, I was pissed when they signed Jeff George to a big contract. He was already a bust and they signed him. The two that the redskins shouldn't have let go were Stephen Davis and Trent Green. Make Champ Bailey a third they shouldn't have let go either.

The problem I had with Marty was simple:

After the 5-5 start, we choked. An AWFUL Dallas team came into DC and beat us in a pivotal game where we looked unprepared and sluggish. IMO, Marty got an F- for the first 5 games, an A+ for the next 5, and then the Dallas, Philly, and Chicago losses (ALL at home) broke the tie. I was underwhelmed by what Marty did here. He was 6-8 in games with playoff implications that year.

My issue with this way of thinking is that the Redskins were a wreck the year Marty coached, recovering from the disasterous spending spree of 2000. No one predicted that the Redskins would win more than 4-5 games for the year so going 8-8 in such a year was major over-achievement.

Yeah, I completely forgot about Tony Banks. I think Marty just rubs people the wrong way. He can build a team over 3 years, but he has trouble finishing the job with a Super Bowl. Yeah, I was pissed when they signed Jeff George to a big contract. He was already a bust and they signed him. The two that the redskins shouldn't have let go were Stephen Davis and Trent Green. Make Champ Bailey a third they shouldn't have let go either.

What the heck are you all talking about? Marty didn't acquire George, Snyder did as part of his 2000 spending spree. George was what Marty inherited as the starting QB.

What the heck are you all talking about? Marty didn't aquire George, Snyder did as part of his 2000 spending spree. George was what Marty inherited as a the starting QB.

Yeah, I went to Jeff George's last game as a 'skin...he got cut in the preseason. I forgot who they played, but he got cut after the game.

Spurrier was a bust...face it...we were better off with Schotty.

The point I believe the point Burgold was trying to make is that there was a CHANCE of greatness with Spurrier.

Marty has a great record for the regular season, but a HORRIBLE post season record. The man has lost how many playoff games??? He has never made it to the SB, although he has gotten to several championship games.

Marty was an arrogant insufferable prick, who treated D.Green badly. I agree he is a great coach, but i'm glad he's not our coach. I'd much rather cheer for Gibbs. Plus LT is a once in a lifetime player. Schottenheimer is supposed to be a defensive coach. What did he give up 41 or something last week. Our D could do better then that.

Schottenheimer has never figured out the playoff thing. His brand of football (when he was here, anyway) is as dull as day-old toast. And (when he was here, anyway) he has a very dictatorial management style. I am very glad that he is not here any more.

And what we have had for the last 3 years hasnt been dull? Marty won games for us here, that should be all that counts. What he did elsewhere shouldnt have meant a thing. So lets remain ecstatic that we have a Character guy in JG, that's a Hall Of Fame Coach, that has not produced wins in his second go round. I have a hard time understanding why our organization runs off or lets walk away almost every young player or coach that proves they can be successful for the Redskins.

I remember a few things about schottenheimers tenure here. 1) Training camp and hearing stories about how poor he treated veteran players, and guys like Darryl Green who marty tried to get rid of. 2) The awful preseason games where we just got manhandled every week. 3) The first 5 and 3/4 games of that season when we just got drummed every week and looked pathetic. Tim Biakabatuka running wild all over us in that panthers game. 4) The 5 game winning streak after the players got together and played well in spite of marty.

It's easy to look back and see the over all stats and stuff, and think to yourself what could have been, but I remember suffering as a fan that year.

With Spurrier, I always found myself giving him way more slack for some reason. I honestly feel that with a better O-line coach and just better players, the spurrier regime would have been successful, but he almost seemed against that notion.

Let's face it, as a team, we've SUCKED since gibbs left the last time. But I'm still a fan.

Yup...Vinny has to go...and we could have made the SB with Marty.

Do you realize the last time Marty won a playoff game???

1993, the year after Gibbs retired. Do you really want a guy who has coached 11 seasons without a playoff victory?

Marty was better than Spurrier but so the eff what.

You take away LT from San Diego and watch what happens. And for 2 years now he's got them close but they flame out. Because he wears his teams down. They have no legs by the end of the season due to his practices.

I don't get your analogy - if we take LT from San Diego?

OK- let's take Peyton from the Colts - and watch what happens.

Marty has a very successful Chargers team playing to win and airing it out in San Diego - the Chargers are a Top 5 offensive unit with a young QB - in fact - i'd love to have their record right now...

And I'm no psychic but I think the Chargers will go deep into the playoffs and Marty will get over that hump.

I doubt it, Marty will still lose in the playoffs. I think this is the year the Broncos make it again. They do have offensive problems, but those are starting to come together.

I did love losing with flair under Spurrier. If only Spurrier was an o-coordinator and had a great o-line coach with him, I think he could tear it up in the NFL.

Spurrier was a bust...face it...we were better off with Schotty.

The thing that bothered me so much about Spurrier was his inability to adjust to the NFL. It was unbelievable. So many times during those two years I wanted to scream at the TV:

1. IN THE NFL, WE DON'T USE QUARTERBACK BY COMMITTEE!!!

2. THOSE GUYS WHO PLAYED FOR YOU IN FLORIDA SUCK AS NFL PLAYERS, GET OVER THEM!!!

3. IN THE NFL, THERE IS SOMETHING CALLED A "PROTECTION SCHEME!"

I agree, we would have been much better off with Schottenheimer.

I don't think it has been mentioned that he ran Larry Centers out of town, which was not a popular move. He had a couple more productive seasons in Buffalo.

Then there was the draft, where Smoot was the only worthwhile player who was picked.

As a coach, he was pretty decent, but as a GM, he was a disaster. He decided that he could work with George, but never had a backup plan if that didn't work out, so had to go to the trash heap to get Banks. Beyond Westbrook and Gardner, WR was a mess with one of Marty's holdovers in Kevin Lockett.

One note on the defense was that Antonio Pierce was a surprise starter at OLB. He actually did quite well, which is why I was surprised that he was replaced by Jesse Armstead the next year. I guess you would have to ask Marvin Lewis about that one.

Jason

The thing that bothered me so much about Spurrier was his inability to adjust to the NFL.

Not just his inability, but his unwillingness to adjust. It looks like all he wanted to do is to see if his offense would work in the NFL, not to actually be an NFL head coach.

I understood the move at the time, and I knew with Shotty's questionable performance as GM that he couldn't stay, but I also knew it was probably going to set us back awhile. We didn't realise at the time by how much, tho. Gibbs is still trying to recover from that time.

Jason

Marty's one season here is utterly fascinating in retrospect. The "What ifs?" surrounding that team are great.

To me' date=' the biggest disappointment after Marty was the decline of Lavar. Maybe the injuries still would have ruined him. But, God, did he love playing for Marty.[/quote']

Marty's had stud LBs everywhere he's been. Chip Banks, Clay Matthews, Derrick Thomas, Lavar, Merriamn and Shaun Phillips. He played and coached LB before he was a HC. He let's them play loose.

I understood the move at the time, and I knew with Shotty's questionable performance as GM that he couldn't stay, but I also knew it was probably going to set us back awhile. We didn't realise at the time by how much, tho. Gibbs is still trying to recover from that time.

Jason

WHAT?!? Marty was only here one year. He didn't set this team back. If anything he did it a favor by clearing up the salary cap mess made by Cerrato and Snyder in 2000.

Schottenheimer has never figured out the playoff thing. His brand of football (when he was here, anyway) is as dull as day-old toast. And (when he was here, anyway) he has a very dictatorial management style. I am very glad that he is not here any more.

That's what they were are saying about Tony Dungy (and to an extent, Bill Cowher) too...

At this point, wouldn't we rather have a better chance by getting to the playoffs instead of now the doormats of the NFL and perennial losers? Two playoff appearances in 15 years?!?! Com'on... I'd rather make the playoffs every year, even if I don't win it. At least, I knew we had a shot. We are in a severe futility.

Dan Snyder is paying the price for firing Marty. That was the second dumbest decision he has made as the owner of the Redskins. The dumbest decision is hiring Vinny Cerrato.

Before anyone knocks Marty, look at the Chargers now... no one wanted to go coach there, let alone play there (ask Eli Manning).

:mad:

WHAT?!? Marty was only here one year. He didn't set this team back. If anything he did it a favor by clearing up the salary cap mess made by Cerrato and Snyder in 2000.

I probably wasn't clear. I'm talking about the Spurrier years.

At least after Shotty, we had something to build on. Spurrier pissed that away.

Jason

Archived