Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wow: THIS guy had an 8-6 record as a starter here?

Larry Brown #43

Man I forgot we even had Hostetler lol

and I liked Marty here...seemed much more conservative with the offense when he was here than he does with San Diego though. Even making the playoffs under Norv losing ot the bucs...I still liked Marty better...seemed like a sense of calm...I was confident in his being head coach for some reason..compared to some of the others that were in and out b4 Gibbs returned.

Before anyone knocks Marty, look at the Chargers now... no one wanted to go coach there, let alone play there (ask Eli Manning).

:mad:

Good point.

I was pissed when Snyder fired him. Some on here are critical of him because we lost to Dallas but give me a break. We started 0-5 just like Gibbs did and then won 8 of 11 just like Gibbs did. Except we didn't have a QB and were stuck with Tony Banks.

With the weak NFC at the time we probably could have made the playoffs every year under Schotty. And who really knows if we'd knock off the Eagles but the kind of Ball that Marty plays works against teams like Philly.

Marty is a tough, old-school coach. He expected his players to practice. But he faced a mutiny from Bruce Smith and the other veterans from the easy Norv regime. Bruce was "too good" to run the nutcracker drill! Norv ran a country club. Marty had the guts to cut George, fired Cerrato, and he ran off Deion. He tried to instill discipline on an undisciplined team. He also had to begin cleaning out the old non-performers, and the cap mess from earlier years. We knew we were going to face cap-hell lean years. He began to build a team in his image with draft choices and free agent signings. I do not mean the high priced free agents, rather the undrafted free agents. He may not win a Super Bowl, but his teams will be respectable and they will play solid, tough football.

I would be happy with a consistent winning team, always in the playoff hunt, a team that plays good defense and disciplined offense. I would be happy with a team that builds thru the draft. I would be happy with more substance and less flash.

Mart was damn good for this team. But he would not let Snyder play with his toy, so he got fired.

:mad:

GHe did not embarrass Green He expected every player to practice hard play it all during Training Camp and OTA's something that the skins Vets had grown accustomed to not doing during the The Norv days

Yes he did. DG never missed a day of training camp. If you remember the press accounts Marty went out of his way to correct DG's technique. That's the same DG that managed to hold Randy Moss to 2 catches when he was red-hot.

Then! Instead of making Smoot earn the spot he gives him the job anyways. Makes an announcement just minutes before DG was going to announce his retirement after that year.

Marty is an egotistical azz who will never, EVER win the big one.

Its not really accurate to say that Banks went 8-6. In two of those games (on the road against Denver and at home against Arizona) Kent Graham replaced Banks and led us to victories in games that we probably would've lost if Banks had stayed in. In fact, I think the victory against Denver, in which Graham went to Michael Westbrook quite a bit, brought us to 4-5, and some could argue that if he had remained the starter for the rest of the year, perhaps we would've won some of those late games and made the playoffs.

I agree, though......getting rid of Marty was a bonehead move. Yes, he had a rough start, but seemed to be turning things around. Instead we had to put up with Spurrier for two years, and now disappointing seasons from Gibbs two out of the three years he's been here.

0-5.

I always remember, during the first few games, wondering why Marty wasn't running Davis that much when "Marty ball" was supposed to be about running the ball down the gut. Davis had around a 14 carry a game average the first few games until Marty and the lousy OC figured out we had a good running back. What did we get? A West Coast offense with Jeff George, who was benched for Banks. The best thing I remember about Banks was that long ball he threw to Rod Gardner (who picked up the 50-50 moniker that season, I believe).

Marty ball was extremely painful to watch at times. His brother, Kurt, actually ended up being almost a better coach for the team since his defense wasn't that bad.

And, yeah, even with the mid-season run, when it came to winning a game to get over .500, we'd lose that important game. I had high hopes for Marty, and perhaps he would have succeeded in his second year, especially with the job he did with the salary (which we had, I believe the league lowest in 2001), the first year wasn't that fantastic.

Schottenheimer has never figured out the playoff thing. His brand of football (when he was here, anyway) is as dull as day-old toast. And (when he was here, anyway) he has a very dictatorial management style. I am very glad that he is not here any more.

He may be dull...but he is 7-2 and has a QB that is lighting things up in SD...do we have that???....case closed.

no one liked banks or wanted him here. If you remember the last game of that season Banks got hurt and the fans cheered.

That's because Banks is a horrible QB.

Marty certainly didn't want him as a QB either. But he had little choice.

The fact is that Marty squeezed 8 wins out of him, which is simply remarkable.

Still...I miss "the audible" we had that year.

Vinny Cerrato gave Spurrier Trung Canidate.

Vinny Cerrato gave the Redskins Jeff George.

see a pattern

Schottenheimer fired Cerrato

Snyder hired him back in the Spurrier era.

Bingo...That man is the biggest problem with the Snyder era. he is the only man that Snyder will not fire. He fired Marty so that he could get control of personel decisions and bring Vinny back. For as much as Dan Snyder wants to win he chooses Vinny over winning. As long as Vinny is on board Snyder will never hire the GM that the team needs.

Marty did a great job the year he was there...but danny was not involved so he was not having any fun.

Archived