Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell is NOT a rookie. Repeat: NOT a rookie

kleese

This is a key factor, IMO when judging Campbell now that we'll have the chance. JC is not a rookie. He's been in the NFL for almost two years now. That's two years of training camp, two years of game film, two years of practice, and two years to get himself acclimated to the professional and personal aspects of being in the NFL.

We should NOT judge him like a rookie.

We SHOULD cut him some slack of course because it is is first NFL game; but we should not treat him with kid gloves when making our judgements.

I will compare him to the other recent QB's who sat for a long time, and then got to play: Pennington, Palmer, and Rivers. All three of those guys were highly competent IMMEDIATELY when entering the fray.

Let me clarify: This team has major problems, and I do not expect JC to solve all of them. I do not expect him to be perfect, and I certainly do expect some brain cramps and errors that may very well cost us games.

HOWEVER.....

I remember Heath Shuler. I had fellow fans rip me when I said after THREE starts that he'd never be any good. I could see it plain as day. He couldn't make the throws. He couldn't see the field. Those are hard things to "learn."

If JC is incapable of completing a 15 yard out on Sunday, that's a red flag to me. If he never understands how to adjust to the blitz, that's a red flag to me.

What I want to see is a guy with poise; a guy with a strong arm that is capable of making tough throws in crucial situations. I want to see a guy that reads the defense and can move his feet. If he is doing those things and then occassionally tosses a stupid INT, I can live with that. That is correctable.

But at this point, JC SHOULD be competent. He should not be totally lost or flustered.

I am glad we made the move now because it gives us a real chance to see what he's made of. While I don't consider us "in the race" at this point, with only 6 losses, we are still "technically" alive, which makes these games matter a bit more than if he came in when we were 3-10. If we beat Tampa (which I doubt we will), JC will have a nice little homestand to potentially help "save" the season in one form or another. In other words, there may not be time to make the playoffs this season, but there is still time to dream-- and I'm glad JC gets that opportunity with almost half a season left.

Again, I do not expect miracles. I do not expect JC to improve our D line or our secondary. I do not expect him to block for Jon Jansen or make Novak's kicks. But I do expect to see a smart, talented QB. And yes, I do expect him to maybe WIN a game or two for us.

I can't say that I disagree with you kleese. I am expecting the same from JC. He could go down to Tampa and lay an egg OR he may light it up. My guess is that he is going to be somewhere in between. The offense is not gooing to magically get better with JC at QB because CP will not be there. Which, I believe, was a major contributing factor that led to the change.

Gibbs knows that if we do not have Clinton for the forseeable future we have no chace with Brunell in there or anyone else for that matter. Cambell has the ability to stretch the field and make plays with his feet whoch gives us that added dimension that Brunell lacked. On the converse, we take a hit in the experience department and Cambell WILL, I repeat, WILL make some bonehead plays.

I really don't expect the Skins to win out this year with Cambell in at QB. These next seven games are setting Cambell up for the future NOT now. So, when he make a couple bonehead plays don't jump on him or the coaches because it does take time.

Very fair expectations

Palmer, Rivers, Pennington, and even going back to McNair (he sat out his 1st year also) all looked like NFL QB's when they finally came in. No they were not throwing 30 TD's right out of the gate, but they looked like they knew what they were doing

What I expect to see from JC is pocket presence, vision and confidence in his throws. He may not always make the right throw, he may hold on to the ball too long, but he should be able to make the throws, with confidence, and not be a deer in headlights in the pocket

I think to a certain extent you also have to remember that he: like the rest of the team is very much a rookie in this offense. I'm hoping the year on the bench was beneficial, but the reality is he may not have gotten as much out of it as we hope b/c of the change in offense.

Tony Kornheiser and I are 'polishing' and 'prepping' The BANDWAGON, as we speak!!! :dj:

The REDSKINS are going to make a SERIOUS Playoff (Yes, I said the heretofore 'Taboo' 'P-Word') Run - Just Watch and See!!! :cheers:

One MAJOR thing that has HELD-BACK Al Saunders' Offense is the abject FACT that there was ABSOLUTELY NO 'Deep Threat' in the Passing Game (see: #8 for details:doh: ).

With all of our WR SPEED and ATHLETICISM, opposing Defenses SHOULD NEVER have been 'Comfortable' with '7 and/or 8 In the Box' schemes!?! :mad:

Watch what JC's mere Physical Capabilities do to opposing Defensive Coordinators' schemes... :coach:

Kleese, technically speaking he is. He's been inactive his entire NFL career -- all 20-plus games of it -- and he's never played a down in the regular season. So, while he is a second-year pro, this is his first time of NFL action with the bullets flying. You can bet the adrenaline will be pumping for him and you may see a few high passes because of it. I just want to see a decent game out of him in his first start and see where it goes from there.

As screwed up as this team is I dont expect him to be Pennington, Rivers or Palmer. Sorry.

If we hadn't changed offenses though I'd say he'd do fine but I think part of the problem is Saunders offense. He ran offenses in 2 of the most finesse divisions and his teams always underachieved. Even the Rams did. They were totally dominant but almost lost their 1 SB.

When you haven't take a single snap in the NFL as s QB, then you're a rookie.

Time on the bench may help but it isn't a substitute for playing time.

He has 2 years of practice against professional defenses, plus playing time in 8 pre-season games. That hardly puts him in the same class as a guy who played in college 6 months earlier. The "red shirt" comparison is better.

And forget the "new system" crap, Brunell was in a new system also.

As screwed up as this team is I dont expect him to be Pennington, Rivers or Palmer. Sorry.

If we hadn't changed offenses though I'd say he'd do fine but I think part of the problem is Saunders offense. He ran offenses in 2 of the most finesse divisions and his teams always underachieved. Even the Rams did. They were totally dominant but almost lost their 1 SB.

Didn't KC have the #1 ranked offense under him? How is that "underachieving"?

Hey Guys,

He is a "rookie" but he has great QB's around the league that have groomed him and is pulling for him to win in this league. Including McNabb, McNair who has been overlooking Campbell since High School. I was at the game on Sunday and you could see McNabb speaking with him in pregame as well as after the game was played. Last year, he told Jason to " Stay Focused and Keep at it" I think he knows the pressure of being the QB and I cant wait until we get a chance to see him in FEDEX. FEDEX will be rocking for this kid...However, it does sound like a quiet marketing move as well, because we all know everyone is going to get a jersey...:2cents:

I would expect that they will slim down the playbook conciderably for Jason, I'm not sure that a 700 page playbook comes into play this year anyway. As a "rookie" QB I'm expecting for him to face a lot of Blitzing and hurries, how he handles this will be interesting.

Moreso than slimming down the playbook for Jason, I think Saunders will adjust his gameplan to Jasons skills and knowledge of NFL defenses much like he did with Mark Brunell.

I think we can all agree that Saunders didnt let Brunell run his offense like he let Trent Green run his offense. For the Redskins to even come close to matching KCs offensive production, Mark was going to have to have a career year at age 36...highly unlikely.

I think Saunders will realize now that, while Campbell may not be able to make all the reads and adjustments that Green could make in the heat of a game, he can make all the throws from all the positions that Green could to facilitate the offense.

Hopefully Campbell has been studying up and it wont take him long to adjust to the complexities of NFL defenses and the speed of the NFL game.

Go Jason go!!

Hail!

IMO, you're a rookie if you haven't taken a snap in a regular season game in the NFL, especially at the QB spot. Why do I say this? Because a first time starter has never seen the speed of the game like he will when he steps on the field for the first time.

Do you consider Tony Romo sits to pee a rookie as well?? I agree with OP that we should cut JC some slack but not to a point that we just ignore the obvious. I watched the girls-gints game when Romo sits to pee first started. Not pretty, but you know he is going to be Ok. I hope I can have the same feeling regarding JC after Sunday.

Archived