Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell is NOT a rookie. Repeat: NOT a rookie

kleese

JC isn't a rookie, agreed. But the "redshirt" comparison is dead on... We also have to take into consideration that the rest of the offense will have to get used to JC's style of play... meaning his pocket presence, his ability to run faster than a 36 year old, being a right handed QB who is still coming off an undefeated season at Auburn... Portis being out (possibly for the season) might force JC to be more explosive and look to running the ball himself if there are no other options (better than Brunells primary reciever aka out of bounds)... besides Betts will be a good running force (having his best season) and maybe we'll finally see Duckett bang a TD in there... I think JC will have a pretty good game against Tampa, in anycase, he'll get over the anxiety of playing his first NFL game out of the way and we as fans can start seeing what the future holds for seasons to come...

The Future is NOW....

Hail

Technically, Jason is not a rookie. But lets be real here. He has never seen any regular season action.

Yeah, I'm sure Jason has learned a lot from being able to watch Mark Brunell play, and I'm sure Mark has given him plenty of advice. But I think Campbell will still play like a rookie at first just because he has never seen any live regular season playing time. I am going to give him all the patience in the world, because I believe that he has the potential to be a real star in this league.

Another thing to keep in mind with the timing. Even though it's doubtful we'll play a meaningful game again this season, almost every opponent of ours is in the thick of the playoff hunt.

Therefore, he'll be seeing some intense football. It's not like have too many games between two bad teams (this weekend and possibly @St. Louis excluded).

I would expect that they will slim down the playbook conciderably for Jason, I'm not sure that a 700 page playbook comes into play this year anyway. As a "rookie" QB I'm expecting for him to face a lot of Blitzing and hurries, how he handles this will be interesting.

Tampa's gonna wanna humble Jason after just playing terrible against the Panthers last night.

They'll be looking for payback for last year ;)

But I have a feeling although they think it's gonna be a blowout - we're gonna give them a dogfight and we'll prevail!

HTTR

I am looking for production from Jason. I am looking for the little things. I am looking for natural leadership, calm in the pocket, execution of the offense. If Campbell throws three picks, but executes the offense, gets the ball downfield and moves the chains I will be satisfied. Most of the great QB's made a lot of mistakes early on, but they all showed promise and they all showed they could move the ball.

Not all QB's are the same Kleese.

If you watched Alex Smith last season, you'd say, 100% that he wasn't an NFL QB. He couldn't make the reads, he couldn't pick up the blitz, and the worst of all, he had huge problems just gripping the ball.

Same for Drew Bees, the guy sat out season and looked pretty terrible. He even regressed his second (third) year. I used to watch them every Sunday and rip my Charger buddies on how sad he looked out there with the game in his hands.

All I'm saying is that JC should not look terrible. If he's awful, then IMO, there's a problem. If after these next 7 games he hasn't done anything to really earn himself some respect, then I'm sure as heck not going to feel comfortable with him carrying our future.

Dumb mistakes here and there? No probelm with that. One terrible overall game? Gonna happen. Some sloppiness? To be expected.

But incompetence is not acceptable for JC. IMO, I think he needs to WIN us a couple of games down the stretch there. That's what we're looking for: a winner, not just a game manager. It's asking too much to think he'll be able to win 7 games for us, but I would like to see some glimpses.

This is a key factor, IMO when judging Campbell now that we'll have the chance. JC is not a rookie. He's been in the NFL for almost two years now. That's two years of training camp, two years of game film, two years of practice, and two years to get himself acclimated to the professional and personal aspects of being in the NFL.

This is the important part and I agree with this.

Other than that your mentalitiy Kleese is the one I'm afraid many fans will have......and also one which could result in running JC out of town before he has a chance to develop.

I want to expect the same things you do.....but its not totally fair.

JC has yet to play a down AND whether anyone wants to admit the impact the new offense has it will make things more difficult for him.

I expect him to look overwhelmed in this game. Tampa has a good defense and will have a good game plan to rattle him.

I want him to feel the blitz and show pocket presence but these are the things I fear for him the most.

As for the throw......I'd like to see him make them all as well. And he should be able to do so if other factors don't prevent it.

But incompetence is not acceptable for JC.

I think you need to be more specific here Kleese.

How do you define incompetence?

I assume you don't mean his ability to throw 15 yard outs. Thats physicall....not mental. But even then how do you know? Maybe he doesn't have the confidence to make such throws. How will you be able to tell?

Is incompetence fumbling snaps? Is it taking unecessary sacks?

You say you expect sloppiness. Where does JC cease to be sloppy and become incompetent?

I think it will take all 7 games to make any conclusions on JC...and you may elude to that. However, after Sunday we aren't going to know much about JC.

Look, everytime Grossman has a bad game, I hear Wilbon on PTI mention that he's only started 15 or 16 games.

That's about 1 season's worth for a guy who's been around for 3 years.

I think Campbell deserves a lot of slack. Going from #3 to #1 is a jump.

Totally agree :applause:

He has never practiced with the full first team O, 'cept for last week.

His biggest role thus far has been playing the dummy QB of the scout team.

Look at the transformation of Alex Smith of the 49ers this year.

Field experience is worth millions. All of you college grads, as well as many others know exactly what I'm talking about. You can only learn so much from a book. Making practical applications of what you have learned is the next step. You can only get that on the field of play.

Tony Kornheiser and I are 'polishing' and 'prepping' The BANDWAGON, as we speak!!! :dj:

The REDSKINS are going to make a SERIOUS Playoff (Yes, I said the heretofore 'Taboo' 'P-Word') Run - Just Watch and See!!! :cheers:

One MAJOR thing that has HELD-BACK Al Saunders' Offense is the abject FACT that there was ABSOLUTELY NO 'Deep Threat' in the Passing Game (see: #8 for details:doh: ).

With all of our WR SPEED and ATHLETICISM, opposing Defenses SHOULD NEVER have been 'Comfortable' with '7 and/or 8 In the Box' schemes!?! :mad:

Watch what JC's mere Physical Capabilities do to opposing Defensive Coordinators' schemes... :coach:

Let's hope Saunders has the balz to trust JC and call the plays to really open up the O.

There are a lot of flaws in your logic. First of all, JC has been in the league for only one and a half years. Not 'almost two'. Second, Palmer and Rivers were top 5 picks. And they also didnt have to learn a new scheme in 1/2 a year. JC has been in the league for only 1 1/2 years and he is learning his second offensive system.

Carson Palmer was a Heisman winner and 1st overall draft pick. It is not fair to JC to compare him to Palmer. Rivers had TWO FULL YEARS to sit behind the bench and learn ONE system.

We gotta be patient with Campbell. I just hope that if he doesnt have a good game(which SHOULDNT be a surprise), people dont come in here IMMEDIATELY after the game and make "Campbell sucks" or "Draft Brady Quinn" threads.

You people are expecting a lot for someone who has only practiced TWICE with the starting team until this week. The other QBs that have been mentioned were groomed before being placed in their first game, meaning they actually worked with the first team. Campbell is going to have his first real practice as a starter with the first team for the first time. Cut the guy some freakin slack.

Technically, Jason is not a rookie. But lets be real here. He has never seen any regular season action.

Yeah, I'm sure Jason has learned a lot from being able to watch Mark Brunell play, and I'm sure Mark has given him plenty of advice. But I think Campbell will still play like a rookie at first just because he has never seen any live regular season playing time. I am going to give him all the patience in the world, because I believe that he has the potential to be a real star in this league.

Yea like if the Running back is not open in less than 1 second, throw the ball away. And if Moss is your primary read, throw him the ball NO MATTER WHAT. Even if has 5 people around him, throw him the ball.

He has 2 years of practice against professional defenses, plus playing time in 8 pre-season games. That hardly puts him in the same class as a guy who played in college 6 months earlier. The "red shirt" comparison is better.

And forget the "new system" crap, Brunell was in a new system also.

Oooohhhh preseason with a bunch of players who are no longer on teams. That'll get you going for your first professional start. Practice is hardly real-time defenses that are coming for you and only you as long as you have the ball. On top of that Campbell has been going against our defense, and they cannot blitz or tackle the QB during practice the majority of the time.

Why don't you people leave your expectations at the door and let the kid take a snap before labeling him a loser b/c he didn't meet your expectations.

What I expect from a great quarterback: Does he see the field? Does he at least look at his second and third receivers before he's forced to dump it. Are most of his throws on target? Does he seem to always find the receiver in single coverage or the man open in the zone?

What I expect from an average quarterback: Does he make the right decision most of the time? Can he at least throw the ball to the right team? Does he avoid sacks? Does he avoid throwing into double and triple coverage?

What I expect from a bad quarterback: he shouldn't be playing.

The tendency of young, athletic qb's is to try and force the ball into the receiver. All brawn and no brain. It costs the team in the early going. Good quarterbacks learn. Campbell is an unknown, and is definitely a rookie. So was Montana and Marino at one point. They both took incredible talent, combined it with smarts and outstanding receivers and became Hall of Famers. But I think I'll hold off on the Hall of Fame nomination until I see the kid play a few games.

I hope he's the greatest man to ever touch a football because I'm a Skins fan. The football season starts the day they first play and ends for me when the Skins season ends. I expect some big mistakes and I expect an occasional flash of the future in his first few games. But whether he's the next Montana/Marino/Sonny or just the average NFL quarterback, I'll cut him some slack until he's got 6 or 7 games under his belt.

And I hope they call some plays other than run, run, pass. There's a lot to be said for play action, but I seldom see it this year. Predictability is nice in a stock or a relationship, but not when calling plays in an NFL game.

Archived