Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The future of the running back.........

Pete

I know this may sound off the wall, but it's been in the back of my mind for some time now. Everybody expects Betts to go this off season. I think his style is more suited to what the coaching staff likes, north / south between the tackles. Duckett is also a north south runner for the most part.

I think Portis is the one that may be gone next season. His value is very good in a trade to a team hurting for a starting running back. He doesn't seem to be all that dureable in the style of offense we run, and we don't need another season like this one. Sure, I may be so far off on this, but this is my gut feeling. If Portis is with the team next year, we will keep all three backs in fear of injury again. If he's traded, we keep two, freeing up a roster spot.

OK, you can all jump me now :laugh:

Regretfully, I agree. He just doesn't seem to me that he fits within the offense. He's an outstanding back and has really done his best when in the game, but he seems out of place to me. I really wouldn't be all that surprised if they traded him this offseason.

I hope you're kidding. There is no way that CP is going anywhere. We're not just going to release our best player and we wouldnt get much out of a trade for him. He is the heart and soul of our offense. When Portis plays good, our offense does good. When Portis is not playing or having a bad game, our offense struggles. There is no way the CP is gone next year. Book it.

i just said this in another post. i think ladell and tj are more suited for this offense. plus i dont think clinton will ever be healthy for an entire season. almost every year so far in his career he was very banged up at the end of the season. last year he was there at the end of the year but he was very ineffective in the playoffs cause of his shoulder. and that was his healthiest year. i admire his toughness but this might be the best time to get value for him. we are already without a 2nd 3rd and 4th round pick this year.

Well... it might be first prudent to understand what CP's cap hit would be if we traded him. Is he due a roster bonus this offseason that can either be converted to signing bonus or paid that year as a roster bonus? Is it possible to trade him BEFORE the roster bonus is due? How much would we be on the hook for in terms of signing bonus he received when he signed his new contract?

I will say that Betts reminds me more of Larry Johnson that does CP. CP is a darter... seemingly more suited for the stretch plays employed by the Broncos and Falcons. I think Gibbs / Saunders might prefer a bigger punishing back who excels at being patient and utilizing his blocks to break big plays and punish defenders (read wear them out) downfield.

Finally, we've got some big cap decisions this offseason already. Brunell is likely done, as is John Hall. Shawn Springs could be a casualty as well. Let's identify the others who might be in jeopardy.

Hell naw. You have got to be trippin!!!!!!!!! Portis when 100% is a beast. Maybe in short yardage he is not that reliable. But he is a heck of a running back. He can catch out the back field, He can block on pass protection, He is a home run hitter, Portis has alot of power and speed. He is also a tough running back. He is the face of the redskins you cant trade him. HELL NO!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing we picked up Duckett and put him in our back pocket for the future. The coaches know that Betts wants a bigger role and won't stay here and we had the perfect situation for getting a big back like Duckett. Duckett is here for the future and also as depth just for a situation like Portis' injury.

THen why play BEtts? They can't trade him. They wouldn't be playing him this much if they didn't like him more than Duckett.

THis thought has crossed my mind and I would hope we can keep all three but is unlikely. The Portis trade would bring some value and money but it would make the Bailey trade look rediculous now.

Gibbs is loyal almost to a fault *cough* Brunell *cough*....I don't see him dealing Portis this off season...he has been dinged up this past year, but he has been more than durable over the course of his career....Portis is the face of this franchise, and to deal him would be a huge mistake....I don't know what the skins are going to do...one thing is for sure, they need to find a way to get some draft picks on the 2nd day...how they do that, I don't know....

This is a dumber post than that idiot who got banned like 20 minutes ago... (the one who said he "owned Joe Gibbs")

Is it because he is a moderator that everyone agrees with this bull:pooh:?

I am in disbelief...

Good thinking, lets cut our BEST offensive player, the one who got us to the playoffs last year, in favor of a guy who is at best a very good backup.

Not only would this not work salary cap wise, it would be plain stupid.

I'm in awe...please don't go spouting off this dumb crap again, I just lost a few hundred brain cells.

Thanks.

:doh:

I wouldn't mind trading CP under two conditions...

1: We're going to be completely cleaning house and starting over

2: We get a bundle of draft picks for him

I very seriously doubt either of the two happen, ESPECIALLY #2. Remember we're the only team that trades draft picks for anybody.

I know this may sound off the wall, but it's been in the back of my mind for some time now. Everybody expects Betts to go this off season. I think his style is more suited to what the coaching staff likes, north / south between the tackles. Duckett is also a north south runner for the most part.

I think Portis is the one that may be gone next season. His value is very good in a trade to a team hurting for a starting running back. He doesn't seem to be all that dureable in the style of offense we run, and we don't need another season like this one. Sure, I may be so far off on this, but this is my gut feeling. If Portis is with the team next year, we will keep all three backs in fear of injury again. If he's traded, we keep two, freeing up a roster spot.

OK, you can all jump me now :laugh:

i'm actually feeling where you're coming from. CP is just not durable enough. in addition, i don't think it would be hard to find another CP IMO.... if we could get something good for him, i say go for it!!

let's see how betts/duckett play out in the next few weeks...

Hell naw. You have got to be trippin!!!!!!!!! Portis when 100% is a beast. Maybe in short yardage he is not that reliable. But he is a heck of a running back. He can catch out the back field, He can block on pass protection, He is a home run hitter, Portis has alot of power and speed. He is also a tough running back. He is the face of the redskins you can trade him. HELL NO!!!!!!!!

Everything you say about Portis is also true about Betts, and he's better at short yardage.

People bring up that "Face of the Redskins" thing. I've only baught into that once, and that was Darrell Green. Maybe the team doesn't need a face. I love the hell out of Portis, and he's an outstanding back in the right system. I just don't think this is the type of system for him.

Archived