Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The future of the running back.........

Pete

I'm sorry, I just don't see the 'it' factor in Betts. He's a decent backup, but not a starter for us. He goes down too easily and seems to stumble a lot. CP is our best player, hands down. With an inexperienced QB, we're gonna need all the talent we can muster at RB. I don't see him leaving for a long, long time. Hopefully it won't be until he helps us win a couple Super Bowls...

If CP is traded, the Redskins will regret it.

He is the type of back that can make a difference in big games.

Betts is not as good a runner as Clinton is IMO.

Portis is a special player and if his production is not what is expected then the coaching staff needs to find a better way to utilize his abilities. Lets not dump on the guy because he has had some injury problems this year.

If youre calling for Duckett and Betts, dont forget that Duckett was dumped in Atlanta and Betts has had his share of nagging injury problems in his career.

Plus, neither one of them has proven that they can carry the load for an entire season. I dont want to bash the starter of this thread because I believe it was started out of frustration for the way the season has gone but lets be honest: Clinton is part of the solution, not part of the problem.

No back would be as effective as they should be with teams stacking the box like defenses have been against us this season.

Clinton needs a QB that can take some of the pressure off him so he can take some of the pressure off the QB in return.

I just cant understand how people say he doesnt fit the offense when hes only played in what, 7 games? And on top of that has been banged up. And still has 7 TD's. I think he's a great fit for Saunders O, which we have yet to see since everyone stacks the box against us because of Brunell

I'm sure there's a lot of arguments both ways but what it boils down to is that we are talking about a back in Portis who statistically is on his way to being one of the most productive backs of all time. You don't trade that away in the hopes that your decent #2 can step up and be a legit #1. Even if he could he would not have nearly the production that Portis has shown he can have if healthy. I just don't see what the conversation is here.

Just think about the history of this offence, Kansas city needed a power back (Priest Holmes 5’-9” 213 lbs) to be the number one offence multiple years, St Luis need that power back (Marshal Faulk 5”-10” 211 lbs) when they put all those point up a few years ago and when the Vikings had that huge year in 98 they needed that bulldozing back to (Robert Smith 6’-2” 210 lbs) all of those teams put up big numbers in this same offence and forgive me if I’m wrong but I don’t think any of them are the big backs you guys wants.

To top that off, the best team Joe Gibbs ever had was the 91 team and guess who we had at tail back (Earnest Byner 5’-10” 215lbs). I think Clinton Portis at 5’-11” 212 lbs should be fine in this offence.

I don't see Portis going anywhere for a number of reasons... Here they are in no particular order.

1. He is under contract for the forseeable future while both Betts and Duckett are staring at FA. This team does not have a great history of hanging on to it's FA guys (unless your name is Jansen or Samuels). The team is not going to let Portis go unless it has the guys it wants locked up and I don't see either Betts or Duckett resigning here without first trying the market. We have all seen how that went with other players in the past.

2. I believe the salary cap hit at this point would be staggering but I admit I don't know that for sure.

3. Portis is a threat to go to the house every time he touchs the ball while neither Betts nor Duckett are that. He demands respect from the defense and forces the other DC from the other team to game plan specifically for him. Moss is the only other player we have like that.

4. Portis plays much bigger than he is without the ball while not giving up anything in quickness. He is, quite simply, the best blocker and the best at blitz pickup of any starting RB in the league. He is fearless and completely capable of stoning any LB in the league right now. Again, neither Betts nor Duckett give you this.

5. Once the vertical aspect of this offense comes into play and the defense really has to worry about the WR stretching the field, Portis is the back capable of ripping off big chunks of yards. He plays with more speed and elusiveness than either Betts or Duckett and is frankly more of a danger in space than either of the others can ever hope to be. He is just a freak talent who really stands with only Tomlinson and Barber as "complete" backs in this league right now.

6. Gibbs knew what he was getting when he traded for Clinton and he has not changed his mind.

Archived