Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The future of the running back.........

Pete

There is no way we give up portis... he is the only reason our offense existed last year. Sure he's missed games this year but it has nothing to do with his toughness he's just been unlucky. Portis is still young and has had besides this year he has had an incredible start to his NFL career. Before this year portis rushed for over 1500 yards in 3 of his first 4 seasons... name another running back that isn't a hall of famer that has done that. Few running backs that are injured in the preseason ever come back from an injure to stay healthy all year. Portis is a huge part of the Redskin's identity and to say that we would be better off with him gone (in exchange for some draft picks) is absolutely ridiculous.

PORTIS IS THE MAN

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

in his opportunity to show something against minnesota and dallas starting he did nothing!! NOTHING!!! !

Let's break this down. Those two alleged starts he had only 19 carries combined. Yeah maybe he started but that isn't much playing. Let's look at a different stat. Games where he's carried the ball 15+ times in a game during his whole career. Where he has seen signifigant action. These aren't random games I've picked. These are EVERY game that he's carried the ball 15 times or more in a game.

at Philly 16-49, 3.1 ypc

vs Hou 20-116, 5.8 ypc

vs Dall 17-98, 5.8

vs NYJ 18-77, 4.3 ypc

vs Minn 26-118, 4.5 ypc

no games with 15+ carries

at Hou 16-124, 7.8

at Philly 20-83, 4.2

Now before people flame me hear me out. I'm not saying I want Betts to be the starter next year. I don't want Portis gone. I'm playing the devil's advocate here to show that when given some signifigant work he has been pretty good.

I would have to disagree. CP is our man and if the offense doesn't fit him, build it around him. I have never been a fan of Al Saunders and I think he is most of our problem. Get rid of Saunders and keep CP. Let Gibbs go back to calling the plays and get CP the ball!

AZ-105 y-1 TD

STL-136 y-2 TD

DAL-112 y-0 TD

NYG-108 y-1 TD

PHI-112 y-2 TD

that would be 573 yards and 6 TDs

but you are right, he gets WAY too much credit :laugh: :laugh:

Laugh all you want. I do, when I see people parrot 'Portis put the team on his BACK'. Of course Portis stepped up, but so did almost the entire D, and Moss, and Cooley, and the O-Line. He didn't do it himself.

Edit: Just to be clear again, I love Portis on this team, I don't want him to leave or anything.

I think Portis is your franchise back without a doubt. Duckett could be a nice changeup because he's big and can pound the line like a riggins. Its all in the O-line folks. I'm surprised Portis has done this well because I don't think our line is that great. Portis seems to pull yardage out of his a** which you have to admit is nice to have.

I think they should have portis in the wide receiver slot more often and have duckett or ladell in the backfield instead. Imagine that offensive play... Portis wide, ladell and duckett in the backfield.. Moss and Randell wide with portis.

if portis is traded

moss wants to be traded

then sean taylor will get pissed off

we already got rid of his friend ryan clark

it would never happen

portis has a big contract

and he means everything to this team

The NFL is a business. These guys understand that business is business and if they get their feelings hurt over something like that then they aren't prepared for the real world and working a profession. If it upset them then we could make them the GMs and we'd just be a team of U guys. We could go out and sign Dorsey, Winslow and Shockey and every other U guy in the NFL. Why not? Heck, just fire Gibbs and hire Butch Davis.

Let's break this down. Those two alleged starts he had only 19 carries combined. Yeah maybe he started but that isn't much playing. Let's look at a different stat. Games where he's carried the ball 15+ times in a game during his whole career. Where he has seen signifigant action. These aren't random games I've picked. These are EVERY game that he's carried the ball 15 times or more in a game.

at Philly 16-49, 3.1 ypc

vs Hou 20-116, 5.8 ypc

vs Dall 17-98, 5.8

vs NYJ 18-77, 4.3 ypc

vs Minn 26-118, 4.5 ypc

no games with 15+ carries

at Hou 16-124, 7.8

at Philly 20-83, 4.2

Now before people flame me hear me out. I'm not saying I want Betts to be the starter next year. I don't want Portis gone. I'm playing the devil's advocate here to show that when given some signifigant work he has been pretty good.

what did portis do in those games? my point was at dallas and minn betts didn't thrive as a starter, as a backup to portis, he does well and I won't argue that.

The NFL is a business. These guys understand that business is business and if they get their feelings hurt over something like that then they aren't prepared for the real world and working a profession. If it upset them then we could make them the GMs and we'd just be a team of U guys. We could go out and sign Dorsey, Winslow and Shockey and every other U guy in the NFL. Why not? Heck, just fire Gibbs and hire Butch Davis.

yes its business but what would trading portis do?

its just a downgrade for this team

betts cant stay healthy

duckett is a backup

so you wanna keep 2 backups instead of a franchise back who is the whole offense?

look at portis injury and look at the WR's production

tell me whats wrong in this picture

lack of production from portis and his injury isnt just hurting the running game but the receivers as well.......

I have always sort of felt that Portis hasn't been utilized to the BEST of his ability, which is fast cutbacks, and running through holes. Rather than what he's been doing lately which was running straight into the middle, hoping to end up on the other side. TJ Duckett seems to be the perfect guy for those kind of plays, but I don't think letting go of CP would be the solution. I honestly think it's the O-Line's job to give CP those oppurtunities.

My dad has said all along that Portis is not the type of back Gibbs normally uses. He thinks that Duckett is the back that Gibbs needs.

I'd gladly take Portis off your hands. :D

I'm sorry, but isn't Joe Gibbs the one who traded Champ Bailey and the picks for CP??? Why would he make such a blockbuster trade if that isn't the guy best suited for "his" offense?

I have always sort of felt that Portis hasn't been utilized to the BEST of his ability, which is fast cutbacks, and running through holes. Rather than what he's been doing lately which was running straight into the middle, hoping to end up on the other side. TJ Duckett seems to be the perfect guy for those kind of plays, but I don't think letting go of CP would be the solution. I honestly think it's the O-Line's job to give CP those oppurtunities.

al saunders is going to change that but portis was injured this year

yes its business but what would trading portis do?

its just a downgrade for this team

betts cant stay healthy

duckett is a backup

so you wanna keep 2 backups instead of a franchise back who is the whole offense?

look at portis injury and look at the WR's production

tell me whats wrong in this picture

lack of production from portis and his injury isnt just hurting the running game but the receivers as well.......

Portis has only played all 16 games twice in five seasons so he has a history of going down as well. I will agree that not many RBs don't play out a full season every year but Portis does wear down through the year.

As far as WR production being down that's a no-brainer. That falls into the hands of the QB that can't get it to anyone but running backs. Proof of that is the fact that Betts is second on our team in receptions.

Portis had a HUGE hand in our run at the end of last year but that was a total team effort and our defense almost single handidly beat Philly late in the year.

As far as our three Super Bowl runs we only had a superstar running back in one of them. Guys split duties in our other two.

I'm not saying I agree with the thread starter. I'm just saying I understand the scenario

do you people just want drama?!?! First brunnell has to go and now portis has to go?!?! I can't believe you people call yourself fans! oh right, betts and duckett would make a GREAT combo!! yea!! duckett does really well rotating with betts!! Oh wait, he doesn't play!! and what has betts done? in his opportunity to show something against minnesota and dallas starting he did nothing!! NOTHING!!! do you see magical holes for portis that he doesn't see or something? this is a ridiculous thread and anyone who thinks it would be BETTER for this franchise if portis left just sucks!

here here. :cheers:

ok ok ok, i give in!! let's trade CP for LT! b/c that is the only other RB i would want!! or better yet, let's just trade for peyton!! yea! portis for peyton!!

can we please stop the discussion of trading our best offensive player!!

Let's not end it. This thread has had some of the most intelligent debating of ones I've seen for weeks. It's nice to see a thread that carries a good discussion without it resorting to flaming. OK, one person flamed, the 16 year old, but this has been a good thread overall and I'm actually seeing both sides of this argument.

Portis has only played all 16 games twice in five seasons so he has a history of going down as well. I will agree that not many RBs don't play out a full season every year but Portis does wear down through the year.

As far as WR production being down that's a no-brainer. That falls into the hands of the QB that can't get it to anyone but running backs. Proof of that is the fact that Betts is second on our team in receptions.

Portis had a HUGE hand in our run at the end of last year but that was a total team effort and our defense almost single handidly beat Philly late in the year.

As far as our three Super Bowl runs we only had a superstar running back in one of them. Guys split duties in our other two.

I'm not saying I agree with the thread starter. I'm just saying I understand the scenario

then again we dont exatly have the hogs do we?

portis broke every franchise rushing yards record

and hes doing it with this o line

Slingin Sammy...being one of the Clue-Laden...gets it. :)

I really wasn't going to post again; I was just having fun reading the responses...well…except for those that like so many others on the forum these days bring sort of a sad shake to my old, weary, head. ;):D

I didn’t read Pete saying he wanted the trade as much as putting himself in the place of how this staff may be thinking given the facts as he laid them out. I also think he pretty clearly identified it as some very out of the box speculation, and that’s certainly how I took it.

And, as indicated in my post, the thought is "out-there", but it’s not all that crazy that they might consider such a thing. Of course I also thought it was a great way to help get a good topic going. :D I never said anything about wanting to trade CP, and anyone who’s been around here knows me as a guy who went nuts with glee the day I heard we actually got some value for bailey.

I loved CP in Denver. I thought he was special then, even above their system. And I was in the thick of all those early debates on this site, getting chewed up for thinking we made such a great deal. I have always absolutely loved the guy, and think he may be the best all-around back I’ve seen since Walter Peyton (if he lasts long enough) and that’s not the first time I’ve said that, either.

Pete’s exploring the possibilities and presenting how the situation might look to the coaches. As is Slinging Sammy now. It offers an interesting thread about something other than members tearing at each other over QB’s, coaches, and owners ;) , which is unfortunately what a loud, large, and mind-numbingly repetitive group of simple-minded, behaviorally and developmentally challenged types have brought to ES lately. :mad:

Pete’s not trying to subvert or destroy the franchise. :laugh: Like I said, it’s a stretch but I could see the possibility of the coaches making such a decision even though it’s “out there.” As far as Betts goes, a number of times, many other members have posted stats of how he’s run in replacement of CP and on those days he usually had fine games. With TJ factored in, who knows? And these injuries on CP (the shoulder) have yet to be fully evaluated for lasting impact, so we have a question mark there, perhaps.

Its just speculation, I don’t think Pete is flat-out advocating trading CP. I’m sure not, but I could see the reasons why the FO might think about it.

Pete, I see where you're comin' from on this but I think that would depend on what happens the rest of the way. If Betts looks like a stud and Duckett does well, maybe their value would go up. On the contrary, maybe we'd keep them and let CP go. If CP goes next year, get ready for a divided locker room. Change is good, but too much change is chaotic.

I think CP is the man, but trading him may be the only way to turn the philosophy of this organization around. His value is worthy of a first/plus for sure. My gut says he stays though, and I think Betts' and Duckett's stock will go up. I believe one of them goes next season.

HTTR

so let me guess we want to trade portis away

so we can keep 2 backup rb's?

betts who is turning 28

and duckett who cant get more then 2 yards?

yepp this is something mark brunell would say

because hes in love with betts catching ability

jumbo-i know what you are saying but you cannot expect someone to start a thread about the 'possibility' of trading portis and not have people absolutely freak out!

I would just like to stop talking about getting rid of players all the time! I was never a brunnell fan but it was exhausting reading all of the threads bashing him. This team is lucky to have a guy like portis and I don't understand why people need to bring up all these hypothetical situations that involve trading/cutting players. We all just got what we wanted, campbell is our QB!! Let's just be happy until next week, PLEASE!

Archived