Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The future of the running back.........

Pete

I don't know if his injuries this year were a result of being a workhorse back. Last year they were, no doubt, but this year he caught the injury bug way back in the preseason, and it wasn't even a result of him running the ball. The broken hand occured on an outside-the-tackles play, so I don't know if pounding it in between the tackles as been a big issue. Portis is gonna stay, I hope. I think he just wants to be in the D.C. Area anyway. But you're feeling isn't farfetched, I'm just refusing to accept it. :)

Everything you say about Portis is also true about Betts, and he's better at short yardage.

People bring up that "Face of the Redskins" thing. I've only baught into that once, and that was Darrell Green. Maybe the team doesn't need a face. I love the hell out of Portis, and he's an outstanding back in the right system. I just don't think this is the type of system for him.

Betts isnt nearly as explosive as CP. No way does he belong starting a 16 game season for this team. Plus im not too fond of his blocking.

This is a dumber post than that idiot who got banned like 20 minutes ago... (the one who said he "owned Joe Gibbs")

Is it because he is a moderator that everyone agrees with this bull:pooh:?

I am in disbelief...

Good thinking, lets cut our BEST offensive player, the one who got us to the playoffs last year, in favor of a guy who is at best a very good backup.

Not only would this not work salary cap wise, it would be plain stupid.

I'm in awe...please don't go spouting off this dumb crap again, I just lost a few hundred brain cells.

Thanks.

:doh:

Speaking of dumb, that thread starter wasn't banned. The next time you want to spout off, know what you're talking about. Otherwise simply shut up.

Griffen and Washington have 3.5 mil increases each. Springs is 4 million.

Well... it might be first prudent to understand what CP's cap hit would be if we traded him. Is he due a roster bonus this offseason that can either be converted to signing bonus or paid that year as a roster bonus? Is it possible to trade him BEFORE the roster bonus is due? How much would we be on the hook for in terms of signing bonus he received when he signed his new contract?

I will say that Betts reminds me more of Larry Johnson that does CP. CP is a darter... seemingly more suited for the stretch plays employed by the Broncos and Falcons. I think Gibbs / Saunders might prefer a bigger punishing back who excels at being patient and utilizing his blocks to break big plays and punish defenders (read wear them out) downfield.

Finally, we've got some big cap decisions this offseason already. Brunell is likely done, as is John Hall. Shawn Springs could be a casualty as well. Let's identify the others who might be in jeopardy.

I've heard rumblings of CP getting an ego. Like taking himself out of games in a critical situation. Attitude counts for a lot. So far this team has played like 11 individuals instead of a unit. On both sides. Eleven individual loses to a team most of the time. No one player is bigger than the team. If the rumblings about CP aretrue then he may very well be gone. That said we still have quality backs in duckett and betts. with betts getting more touches this year don't rule out resigning him. and of course we could always bring back jesse lumsden.

LMAO - just kidding.

This is a dumber post than that idiot who got banned like 20 minutes ago... (the one who said he "owned Joe Gibbs")

Is it because he is a moderator that everyone agrees with this bull:pooh:?

I am in disbelief...

Good thinking, lets cut our BEST offensive player, the one who got us to the playoffs last year, in favor of a guy who is at best a very good backup.

Not only would this not work salary cap wise, it would be plain stupid.

I'm in awe...please don't go spouting off this dumb crap again, I just lost a few hundred brain cells.

Thanks.

:doh:

This from a guy I have calouses older then. :doh: I don't really care who supports my idea or not. If you actually watch the games, and know what our coaches like to do and have done over the years, you might have a clue. It has nothing to do with me being a mod on this site that some agree with me. If you were around long enough, you would know that.

Since your the athority, could you provide the exact cap implications on this if it were to happen. Secondly, I would have to say Moss is our top offensive weapon, not Portis.

Could you also tell us why it would be plain stupid.

Last but not least, don't ever tell me or any other member to not post our opinions.

I dont know why we traded for him to begin with actually, I was one of those people that thought with Gibbs coming in, Betts would be perfect for us. Portis is however amazing, and I dont buy all this "he isnt the best fit for our offense" stuff. The K.C. offense had Priest Holmes in it's most successful days. I think Portis runs tougher, with more power, and has better quickness than Holmes did.

I think Portis has been screwed by bad injuries, and bad blocking. Betts and Duckett are like Riggins. If you block for them, they gain 20 yard chunks. If you dont block for them they get 4-5 yard chunks. Portis, if you block for him gets 10-TD sized chunks. If you dont block for Portis he gets 1 yard "chunks" Priest Holmes wasnt really all that different. If he didnt have good blocking on a play he could get stuffed. Its just the K.C. offensive line had been together and had been running that offense for a long time when he was in his prime. Our linemen are maybe not as good, or maybe not as used to the scheme.

I think if we bring Portis back next season he will have a great year with Campbell in charge at QB, the o-line and entire offense in it's 2nd year, and a return to the playoffs maybe...

If we traded him to anybody it would have to be for a premium player maybe on the D-Line. Maybe Julius Peppers- the Panthers really need a good runningback.

Betts isnt nearly as explosive as CP. No way does he belong starting a 16 game season for this team. Plus im not too fond of his blocking.

Betts doesn't need to be in the style we tend to run, and I haven't seen much explosiveness out of portis this season........... His blocking has gotten better, but I'll give that one to Portis.

Come on...I have never seen BEtts or Duckett lead this team to a playoffs and IMHO, If portis goes, so does moss. Her me out: We weren't even considering Moss until Portis talked to Gibbs about it and he decided to try moss and it worked like a charm. Now they are both the best of friends and I think moss wouldn't care if we gave up Portis. No, We won't give up Portis...I also remember that we aren't in Gibbs offensive guys, we are in AL Saunders playbook, now.

looking at it from an objective perspective, you have portis who is a proven player and betts who is very unproven as a #1 both in production and health since he has never been a #1 for an entire season and has rarely been healthy for an entire season and you have the same thing with TJ being primarily a compliment to dunn in atl.

I just think portis is having a bad luck kind of year, he got hurt the first series of the preseason and although he was trying to work himself in, he just never seemed comfortable, maybe because he was still trying to get the confidence back in his shoulder but I dont see portis going anywhere.

what makes me think that he was never 100% this year is how quickly and often he would remove himself from games, just look at how long betts was out there after portis left the game, he barely came out for a break the rest of the game

Everything you say about Portis is also true about Betts, and he's better at short yardage.

People bring up that "Face of the Redskins" thing. I've only baught into that once, and that was Darrell Green. Maybe the team doesn't need a face. I love the hell out of Portis, and he's an outstanding back in the right system. I just don't think this is the type of system for him.

I respect your opinion. But I dont agree. Betts is not half the back portis is. He is a good change of pace back and a great special teams player. I love ladell, And I hope we resign him. But you cant get rid of Cp. Dont get me wrong, I consider ladell a true Redskin.

For the type of offense we run, TJ is perfect. He will abuse the defense all day and in the 4th quarter they will be calling for mercy. I would like to see him get a start or 3 down the stretch and sign him to an extention if it works out well, then trade CP for some draft picks that we desperately need.

The only problem I see is that Duckett is probably furious at not even getting a chance to prove himself in a contract year. Jason Campbell and a TJ Duckett combo could be just what the doctor ordered. With the picks from a CP trade and the few that we still have could be used to revamp the defensive line and a LB or CB or 2.

Of course as far as the "face of the team" two of our three SBs really didn't have a "face of the team." Betts has done a pretty good job in games when he's had to take the load this season. I really want to see what he does the rest of the year with 20 carries a game. Betts has a better YPC than Portis this year and even though he's not a homr run threat, he hasn't been dragged down at the LOS as much. I just want to see what Betts does the rest of the year, get Portis healthy by resting the rest of the year.

OK, you can all jump me now :laugh:

Uh, you sure you don't wanna rephrase this? :twitch:

I have two problems with your scenario, Pete. First, Betts has not proven he can be anymore healthy than CP. In fact, Betts might be less durable.

Second, assuming that Portis misses a reasonably substantial amount of time this season, who's gonna want to trade for him? What kind of value would we get? One post above mentioned Shaun Alexander being on the trade block, and the Seahawks getting no serious offers for him. And then someone else says we should get Peppers for CP?

So what would we get? I guess that's kind of what it comes to, right? Those who decry even considering this, what if someone threw a plethora (of pinatas?) of draft picks at us? Pete, what if all we could get was a second? And as someone pointed out above, what are the salary cap ramifications?

Lots of questions. Few answers.

If we traded him to anybody it would have to be for a premium player maybe on the D-Line. Maybe Julius Peppers- the Panthers really need a good runningback.

You read my mind. I'm not thinking a draft pic, but a key player. I don't see Peppers being let go, but there are some spots that could use a boost.

Come on...I have never seen BEtts or Duckett lead this team to a playoffs and IMHO, If portis goes, so does moss. Her me out: We weren't even considering Moss until Portis talked to Gibbs about it and he decided to try moss and it worked like a charm. Now they are both the best of friends and I think moss wouldn't care if we gave up Portis. No, We won't give up Portis...I also remember that we aren't in Gibbs offensive guys, we are in AL Saunders playbook, now.

Have you ever seen Betts given the chance to lead this team anywhere ? Nope...... As for moss leaving, I honestly doubt it. Business is business. Saunders came up in the same system Gibbs did, that's why Gibbs wanted him.

Guys, I'm not looking to bash Portis. I just think the combo of Betts and Duckett are what we need, and what our coaching staff likes. Saunders loved Betts in the preseason, and said he would be more involved this season. He has, hasn't he. I'm sure a little bird in Atlanta told Gibbs that Duckett is his type of back, and that's why we went for him to insure we were covered when Portis went down.

Archived