Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Have to Go 8-3 From Here Forward

bulldog

I agree with everything for the most part... I think we need to win the next 2 games...which will be very very difficult to do esp since we are going into Indy... I think if we lose to anyone in the NFC south it is going to be Carolina... any way you put it ... we need to be at least 10-6 or this season IS A WASTE...

I feel like Gibbs is worried (and apparently rightly so) that this year will get away from him and he will find something he's never known before: failure. He said from the outset this would be a three year project and if he hadn't gotten it done by then, well, that would probably be it.

Yeah, my only quandary there is how to contextualize the Saunders hiring. Is that an example of Gibbs trying to keep the brain trust stocked after he leaves? Or did he understand there was a chance it'd set things back a year as the system went in and he's thinking long-term, for the team and his 21st century tenure?

Fwiw, I wouldn't call Gibbs' return a failure, even with 8-8 and a retirement this year (assuming that's the worst case), but I understand why you might so and think Gibbs would agree. Anything less than a Super Bowl... Still, playoffs. Thank heavens for a return to the playoffs and respectability during the season.

I'll chime in on these 2...

#1. It's quite possible that we can go 8-3 but don't look at it that way. We are competing against our division and who is to say 10-6 is what you need in the NFC East? Look at the schedules the rest of the way, if any team is 9-7 that' s a miracle. Our divisional foes will suffer some losses...

#2. The loss at home to Minny was rectified when we beat the 12-4 Jaguars. Now our goal is to win the games we are supposed to win. If we defend our house by winng our home games and beat 2/5 teams on the road (Bucs, Rams,Indy, Eagles and Saints) , we will be right where most of us predicted. 10-6

There is room for concern because of the lack of intensity and execution, but that was being said last year before we went 6-0! No need to panic, lets just see how the NFC East plays out. Remember, all our 2nd divisional games are at home just like last year!

I'm in this camp right now.

We have lost two NFCE road games in embarrassing fashion. We did so last year as well @ NY. We were also on the way to another until the miracle finish @ Dallas. Then they came to Landover and the tables were turned. It is difficult to win on the road in the NFL. It is very difficult to win on the road in the NFCE.

Am I concerned by a lack of apparent passion from this year's team? You betcha. Does that mean it's not there? Nope.

If we hold serve at home and pick up a couple of wins on the road we will be right there at the end. And if we don't? I'll agree with bulldog that it was the Minnesota loss that was the most damaging.

It is hard to argue with most of what you said, yet I will try. No one can imagine this squad winning eight out of 11 this year, but could you have imagined them running off five in a row with their backs against the wall last season? Only if you were a very optimistic fan. They need to go at least 6-2 at home, and with one home loss already, that means being a great team at home. Should be doable with 90,000 strong in their corner. They need to pull one or two road upsets at some point, and they need to start playing more consistant football.

I disagree with your assessment of Cooley. I think he was asked to block a lot the first two games, I think Al Saunders wasn't sure what kind of player he was getting in Cooley. He has been a stud the last few weeks, and he has been a weapon on 3rd down. Brunell's best tosses have been to Cooley -- sometimes in tight spaces. And Cooley is impossible to take away. At one point the Giants put their No. 2 corner on him, and Cooley ran a drag route across the field, caught the ball in stride, and plowed forward for two yards and a first down. I still think after Moss, he is the most dangerous man on the field in passing situations.

Lloyd has been a bust -- whether that is timing with Brunell, timing with the offense, match-ups so far, I don't know... but I watched the 49ers a lot last season and I really think he is a No. 1 talent wr being guarded by team's No. 2 corner, or sometimes the nickel db, so we've got to throw him the ball. ARE is going to have some big moments and some big games -- it is really about game plans and match-ups.

As far as the division, the Eagles and Giants are going to enter the tougher stretches of their schedule. The Cowboys can't consistantly win with Drew Bledsoe at QB. I still think TO will emplode with not getting the ball. They do not have the offense to win shootouts, and their D will still get beat for enough plays that they won't win games the way the Bears, Ravens, or Panthers could -- on D alone. As long as a Dallas team headed for a 9-7 or 8-8 season doesn't sweep Washington, the Redskins should be okay. The division will beat on each other. IMO, 10-6 wins the division, but 9-7 doesn't mean wild card b/c the Rams, Saints, and Vikings are better this year and in easier divisions. Remember, all the Eagles have done so far is beat the three easiest opponents on their schedule and an emotional home game. They should have won those games. Also, if McNabb goes down they are done. He is more vital to them than CP is to us.

I have a feeling we are going to win a shootout with the Colts in two weeks, I don't know why. I also think Springs will play in this game, even though it would make sense to wait until the bye week is over... If that happens and we are 4-3 heading into the bye, don't you like our chances of coming out of this thing with at least another 10-win season?

Don't bet against Gibbs after Thanksgiving...

I have a feeling we are going to win a shootout with the Colts in two weeks, I don't know why. I also think Springs will play in this game, even though it would make sense to wait until the bye week is over... If that happens and we are 4-3 heading into the bye, don't you like our chances of coming out of this thing with at least another 10-win season?

Good point. I've been thinking the same thing.

Tennessee and Dallas are MUST wins, no matter how you slice it. We gotta win those games.

Then, IMO, in order to "switch" this season around we need to either win at Indy or at Philly-- both games most people figure us to lose-- rightfully so by the way.

But if we can hold serve against the Titans and Cowboys and upset either Indy or Philly, we WILL be back on track. Basically, I'm not going to REALLY panic until:

--After we lose to the Titans OR Cowboys

--After we lose to BOTH Indy and Philly on the road.

Nothing really new to add, as I agree with everyone elses sentiments.

One additional small glimmer of hope tho, we are still only 2 games behind division lead with the only division games played on the road (one a home season opener, and the other after the opponents bye).

Good post, my argument is though that the season is more than black and white ponderables.

Ain't sport induced emotion a fascinating thing?

Edit: By 'emotion' I don't mean in a post, more in the emotional state of posters. Even the emotion that drove the poster to dismiss all emotion kind of emotion... You get my drift? :silly:

Another week, another "must-win" game. Skins seem to put out more of an effort at Home (before their adoring fans), so I'm glad I am attending my one and only Skins game for the season at Fedex this Sunday to watch them whoop up on the Titans!

You make some great points, on top of that the Colts and the Eagles have us in their places after bye weeks. Not that those 2 teams need two weeks to get ready for us but those games could be ugly. My real concern with this team seems to be a real lack of motivation. It's like if we don't have to win the game then the players don't show up. Boswell had a pretty article about this on the Washington post. Back in the day you had guys like Joe Jacoby, Russ Grimm, Brian Mitchell, Gary Clark, guys who just refused to lose. Even though they didn't win every game, you knew the Redskins would play you in a tough, physical game. It was disturbing to watch the Giants manhandle us this week. There doesn't seem to be a vocal leader, especially on defense to make everyone accoutable. I was hoping Sean Taylor would develop into this but that doesn't seem to be the type of player he is. I still have hope for the season, but I am worried about a team that's been physically manhandled by 2 NFC East opponents.

One more thing to point out....

NFC record is NOT the first tie-breaker. It's head-to-head. And in that case, we still control our own destiny against the Eagles, Panthers, Falcons, Saints, and Rams. Something to keep in mind.

Very good point. We really have to root against the Vikings. Their remaining schedule looks pretty soft with the exception of @ Chicago, @Seattle and home against New England.

I can still see us going at least 10-6, maybe 11-5. We can beat Tenn and Indy (they aren't playing that good this year, but still 5-0 but a squeker against Tenn)). Hopefully it was just the "Giants stadium " curse, we have hardly ever played good there. So 4-3 at the "break" (bye-week). Then I see Philly and Atlanta as possible losses, Philly maybe twice.

:eaglesuck:gaintsuck:dallasuck

Excellent observations...Its definately "do a ble"

Titans: No excuses...If we do not crush them...we do not deserve to go anywhere.

Colts: They have 2 weeks to prepare but....They cannot stop the run. We can roll.

Cowgirls: They are comming to our house...They have TO and Bledsoe issues..Springs should be back to help prevent the long pass burn.

Tree Chickens: By then ....They have McNabb canonized a saint....they also are weak in the secondary...Hard game up there...we win later at home

The Yuckaneers: We win...provided our Defense shows up

Panthers : unfortunately they have our number....Hope for the best

Dirty birds: No telling how they may fare considering they will be scrapping in their own division...Its home...we win

Saints: Hard game for us unless we find a pass rush or learn to cover on the outside. possible loss.

Rams: They always play well against us...They may be in a sleepy situation considering their division...already 4 and 1. toss up

The Little people : Imagine the last game of the season with it all on the line...I never want to see the xskins sneer again they way they did this weekend. we roll

8 And 3 is possible!

Nope bulldog. We have to go 9-2 from here on out. The reason? Look at who we have gotten our wins against so far--AFC teams. With a win over the Titans and a possible win against the Colts, we would be 4-0 against the AFC. If we finish 10-6, what does that mean? It means we are 6-6 against the NFC. With a few teams figuring to finish at around 10-6 (possibly us, Vikings, Rams, Saints, Falcons, Giants, and Cowboys), this becomes very important. In my opinion, the Vikings are definitely taking one wild-card spot. So that leaves good NFC East and NFC South teams battling for the other. We waltzed into the playoffs last year because we were 9-2 in the conference and we owned all tiebreakers. To guarantee a playoff spot this year, we have to finish 9-2. If we do finish 8-3, however, we have to finish strong in the division (4-2) and hope that the NFC South teams beat up on each other in the division. We must also hope that the AFC dominates dominates these teams.

If we go 10-6 we'll be in. I guarantee it. I say this due to the fact that we'd most likely own the tie-breaker (head to head) w/ several contending teams. I'm not saying we WILL go 10-6, but we WILL make the playoffs if we do.

What if 3 or 4 teams are all tied at 10-6, which seems possible from looking at the Rams and Vikes' schedules? Then, what matters is conference record. Remember last year? The last game of the season was pointless for the Cowgirls because even if htey had finished 10-6, they would not have made it in to the playoffs anyway.

What if 3 or 4 teams are all tied at 10-6, which seems possible from looking at the Rams and Vikes' schedules? Then, what matters is conference record. Remember last year? The last game of the season was pointless for the Cowgirls because even if htey had finished 10-6, they would not have made it in to the playoffs anyway.

When multiple teams are 10-6, they first do tie-breakers within division. Since the Cowboys had already lost to us twice, they would not have made the playoffs.

If we do well in our division from here out (wouldn't shock me if all four teams went 3-3 in the NFCE), then other tiebreakers might come into account. But if we're tied 10-6 for a wildcard against teams in other divisions, that's where head-to-heads could match up very favorably.

Thanks Bulldog for what Ive known all along-The 2005 Redskins were better than the 2006 Redskins. Now we as fans should never give up on oor team BUT we must readjust our Super Bowl Dreams we had in July and August to 3rd probably 4th place in the division. Yes we have some characters on this team but players with very little character. GO SKINS, no go skins. :gaintsuck :dallasuck :)

Archived