Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I think JDS' sole reliance on his hands will be his downfall in that fight. You can't come at this version of Overeem with one weapon and win. I'll be rooting for JDS, but the analyst in me says its a rough night for him (although my predictions have been **** lately, so take with a grain of salt :ols: )

JDS actually has a pretty solid submission game, but Overeem is too big.

Not saying its not possible I just personally don't think it's true. I am no mma expert just going off by seeing them fight and JDS seems faster to me.

Speed comes with Technique, technique advantage is with Overeem. I don't expect him to be 265 for his fight with JDS.

I think JDS' sole reliance on his hands will be his downfall in that fight. You can't come at this version of Overeem with one weapon and win. I'll be rooting for JDS, but the analyst in me says its a rough night for him (although my predictions have been **** lately, so take with a grain of salt :ols: )

It's boxing vs kickboxing basically and Overeem is a much more superior kickboxer than JDS is boxer IMO.

It's boxing vs kickboxing basically and Overeem is a much more superior kickboxer than JDS is boxer IMO.

Hands are far more powerful a tool in mma than kicks. In fact I'd say hands > knees > kicks. Furthermore accuracy is the most important aspect of striking. JDS is far more accurate than Overeem and he's most certainly faster (and it's not close). Overeem has more striking tools and is the larger stronger man.

JDS will knock him out in the first or second. His lack of defense and willingness to strike will behis downfall. He can't stand in front of JDS and I think JDS can stand in front of Overeem. If I thought Overeem would dirty box and stay outside of the striking and while in the middle of the ring I'd favor him.

Edited by Destino

Hands are far more powerful a tool in mma than kicks. In fact I'd say hands > knees > kicks. Furthermore accuracy is the most important aspect of striking. JDS is far more accurate than Overeem and he's most certainly faster (and it's not close). Overeem has more striking tools and is the larger stronger man.

JDS will knock him out in the first or second. His lack of defense and willingness to strike will behis downfall. He can't stand in front of JDS and I think JDS can stand in front of Overeem. If I thought Overeem would dirty box and stay outside of the striking and while in the middle of the ring I'd favor him.

Lol, K1 champ > good MMA boxer nine times out of ten IMO. And Overeem has a good 30+ lbs of muscle on JDS too.

Slam KO to start the Dream card

not a bad way to start at all.

Trying to watch it online....Comcast FTL :(

Nate Diaz was always good on the ground, adding some boxing skills is a good step in improving as an overall fighter. Much like his brother, Nate's pace was too much to overcome. He never stopped coming forward and always was looking to throw punches in bunches. Cerrone might not have been "hurt" but he was definitely slowly busted up not just physically, but mentally as well. His will was broken down. Even when he swept Diaz a few times he wanted no part of the ground game, rightly so. Something the Diaz bros do that doesn't get the credit it deserves is show that good techinical striking doesn't always have to mean having power. They use their work rate and output combined with the outrageous cardio and just smother their opponents. Sure, 1 or 2 "50% power" punches don't hurt, but how about 50 of them? Over and over....and then just when you go to take a breath here comes a handful to the body.

DON'T BE SCARED, HOMIE!

Brock, well what can you say. His kryptonite was discovered a few fights ago and he either didn't bother to work on it in training or this is just another example of the saying "you can't teach someone how to take a punch" you either have it in you to eat a punch and come back stronger, or you cover up and retreat. To be fair, in this fight his liver was blasted so that probably contributed a lot. Not sure why Brock was trying to throw down with a K1 champion though. He played into 'Reem's strengths.

Oh and Fitch....ahahahahahahahahaha.

I wouldn't make too many snap judgements about a JDS/Overeem fight based on what we saw in tonight's destruction of Brock.

Brock cannot deal with being hit. This was exposed in the Carwin fight even though Brock came back to win. Ever since that fight all Brock's opponents have to do is block the takedown and throw their hands in Brock's direction and he turtles, retreats, and gets pounded out.

Brock vs. JDS should be a very entertaining fight. JDS has the heavier hands but I feel Overeem is more dynamic overall.

Jon Jones vs. Overeem: Hypothetical predictions?

Nate Diaz was always good on the ground, adding some boxing skills is a good step in improving as an overall fighter. Much like his brother, Nate's pace was too much to overcome. He never stopped coming forward and always was looking to throw punches in bunches. Cerrone might not have been "hurt" but he was definitely slowly busted up not just physically, but mentally as well. His will was broken down. Even when he swept Diaz a few times he wanted no part of the ground game, rightly so. Something the Diaz bros do that doesn't get the credit it deserves is show that good techinical striking doesn't always have to mean having power. They use their work rate and output combined with the outrageous cardio and just smother their opponents. Sure, 1 or 2 "50% power" punches don't hurt, but how about 50 of them? Over and over....and then just when you go to take a breath here comes a handful to the body.

This really is easy to over look. I think even more importantly then your point on this is that it stops their opponent in their tracks from whatever there game plan is. They have no time to start their attack or regroup after trying to start one. They just keep getting popped. Nate looked like Nick tonight. Nate looked great.

JDS is a bigger mismatch than Brock was. At least Brock had some sort of ground game. For those who don't know the difference between real striking and what MMA striking is, get ready for a trainwreck. Expect Overeem to have JDS in the Thai plum pretty easily and watch the knees fly.

I've seen Overeem get dominated by Brazillian fighters so many times at this point it's almost to be expected.

I realize most of them were at 205, but going up to heavyweight has only slowed down Overeem. I mean Shogun and Little Nog dominated him twice. I think it's totally absurd to think because he just beat one of the worst standup fighters in all of MMA that he's going to now go dominate JDS who is a faster and more accurate striker. Overeem doesn't have some iron chin either, he's been put to sleep plenty in his career.

I'm not saying it's one sided for JDS, but he'll be the favorite as he should be.

I've seen Overeem get dominated by Brazillian fighters so many times at this point it's almost to be expected.

I realize most of them were at 205, but going up to heavyweight has only slowed down Overeem. I mean Shogun and Little Nog dominated him twice. I think it's totally absurd to think because he just beat one of the worst standup fighters in all of MMA that he's going to now go dominate JDS who is a faster and more accurate striker. Overeem doesn't have some iron chin either, he's been put to sleep plenty in his career.

I'm not saying it's one sided for JDS, but he'll be the favorite as he should be.

Overeem's striking is leaps and bounds better than it was back when he was 205. I'm not saying JDS is going to stand there like Brock and get picked apart while overeem throws caution to the wind, but as far as striking goes it is still Overeems advantage.

glad that one didn't last long.

I'm glad Fedor got the KO but Ishii looked reluctant to engage in any standup whatsoever.

Overeem's striking is leaps and bounds better than it was back when he was 205. I'm not saying JDS is going to stand there like Brock and get picked apart while overeem throws caution to the wind, but as far as striking goes it is still Overeems advantage.

I definitely agree with this. Overeem's striking is way better than it was back in his Pride days.

I like how Overeem was stepping inside the pocket just to throw knees :ols:. He's made his signature move the core of his striking. Uberknees are his H-Bomb; Hendo knows to throw his right hand all the time, and Overeem wants to dish those knees constantly. The knee he landed to Brock's upper thigh looked so painful, but before Brock's mind can even register the loss of feeling in his leg, Overeem sends a missile right in to Brock's belly. UMPH!

Overeem constantly wants that thai plum, even for a split second. He's always getting his opponents off balance, and instead of throwing strikes he reaches for the dome. I know it was Brock, but Overeem's footwork and angling was a thing of beauty last night. The disparity in striking level was immense. I still don't think Overeem worries about the hands enough, and that's JDS bread and butter. Overeem has a gigantic right hook...and his kicks are ridiculous. I don't know how practical it is to wade in with knees against JDS. I think Reem should keep the distance, use his kicks and find one that hurts JDS. Doesn't matter if it lands on the leg, body or head...if that big ass Popeye looking dude nails you with a kick, you're a different fighter.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

My End of the Year Awards:

Fighter of the Year: Jon Jones

This is by far the easiest pick to make. You could make a strong argument he completed the single greatest year in MMA history. Coming into the 2011, he was a top prospect waiting to be tested by top dogs. By the end of 2011, he choked out an undefeated Bader, brutalized Shogun (a man Dan Henderson and his right hand couldn't finish) so bad that he tapped to strikes, put on a striking clinic against Rampage before becoming only 2nd man to submit him, and finished his year by rebounding after a shaky first round to choke Machida unconscious. Any other answer for fighter of the year is just wrong.

Runner Up: Dan Henderson

Fight Of The Year: Michael Chandler vs. Eddie Alvarez (Bellatory Fighting Championships 58)

This was the toughest call for me to make. It was a close bout throughout the fight, with Chandler dropping Eddie with power shots in the 1st and continuing the damage in the 2nd. Even though he was getting hurt, Eddie was recovered quickly to continue to throw shots that caught Chandler just as hard. In the 3rd round Eddie appeared to be taking control of the fight and almost finished Chandler, but Chandler survived the round. In the 4th he connected with another big shot that eventually led to the fight ending RNC. I'm going with this fight over Henderson/Shogun because I feel as though each round was more closely competitive as compared to Henderson/Shogun. Also I give a slight edge to Chandler/Alvarez because once Henderson/Rua gassed, the 4th & 5th rounds, while incredibly filled with drama, got a little sloppy with the technique.

Runner Up: Henderson/Rua

Knockout of the Year:

iZP9fJUBcKAsZ.gif

I struggle to determine the criteria of this award. Do you go with the most spectacular looking knockout or do you go with the best looking knockout against the best opponent? I try to fit somewhere in the middle of those two questions. Vitor was the fighter Anderson fought in a long time that people actually gave some credibility to due in part to his power & fast hands. It didn't matter to Anderson. Before that kick, Anderson used his superior head movement to avoid the quick shots of Vitor and the proceeded to make Steven Segal the most in-demand trainer in MMA :ols:. If I were going purely on style, Machida's reenactment of The Karate Kid would be high on my list as well, but I take points off when its done against a senior citizen.

Runner Up:

2.gif

Submission of the Year:

twister.jpg

Its a twister, no explanation necessary.

Runner Up:

22222222222222.gif

Edited by StillUnknown

Hard to argue with any of that, and I can't think of a better single year in MMA history than Jones. I can't even really think of one that's close...maybe Royce Gracie in the early days of the UFC? But even then he was tapping out nobodies with a relatively unknown style.

Hard to argue with any of that, and I can't think of a better single year in MMA history than Jones. I can't even really think of one that's close...maybe Royce Gracie in the early days of the UFC? But even then he was tapping out nobodies with a relatively unknown style.

The only year I can think thats close would be Shogun's 2005 when he won the Grand Prix.

On a side note, starting at midnight, Fuel has 24hrs straight of UFC programming. Starting with a replay of UFC 79.

Houston Alexander knows how to discipline a kid:

http://www.kmtv.com/news/local/136333543.html

Omaha, NE - Police ticketed popular MMA fighter Houston Alexander for child abuse after the 39-year-old became upset with his 16-year-old and made him box with him.

Police reports say officers were called to a home near 44th and Maple for a domestic disturbance. The older Alexander told them he was having trouble with his teen son, who was "having explicit sexual contact on Facebook with some unknown females." The 16-year-old reportedly lied and "made him very upset."

According to police reports, "Alexander then retrieved boxing gloves and told his son, 'If you are going to lie to me, then we are going to box.'" The two reportedly boxed in the basement. Officers describe the teen as having a "slight bloody nose and pain to his right side."

Alexander was cited for misdemeanor child abuse.

HoustonAlexander.jpg