Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

barry fought like he was star struck, not really sure where he goes from here.
according to his twitter, pat barry broke his hand in the 1st, and his foot in the 2nd

Check SU making an observation then doing his homework. :)

I bet he broke it the 2nd time he knocked CC down. That punch broke things on both sides. Props to Mirko for getting up and getting it done. There was no way on Earth that CC was going to break last night, which was cool to see.

I don't think Barry lost much momentum last night. He fought well and got hurt which took some of his game away. He'll still move up in the UFC as planned. I do think though, that he found himself in deep water with a legendary fighter and simply went "deer in the headlights" so to speak. He's never been in the octagon with someone who (when on his game) can really reach deep into a bag of tricks like Mirko can. I'd like to see Barry vs. Gonzaga or Barry vs. Rothwell. That's about where I see him ranking right now.

Check SU making an observation then doing his homework. :)

I bet he broke it the 2nd time he knocked CC down. That punch broke things on both sides. Props to Mirko for getting up and getting it done. There was no way on Earth that CC was going to break last night, which was cool to see.

I don't think Barry lost much momentum last night. He fought well and got hurt which took some of his game away. He'll still move up in the UFC as planned. I do think though, that he found himself in deep water with a legendary fighter and simply went "deer in the headlights" so to speak. He's never been in the octagon with someone who (when on his game) can really reach deep into a bag of tricks like Mirko can. I'd like to see Barry vs. Gonzaga or Barry vs. Rothwell. That's about where I see him ranking right now.

You simply can't put Barry against anyone with a ground game. It's either Barry shuts it down or he gets subbed in 60 seconds. Gonzaga could get in to a clinch situation and it's over. Rothwell is the same.

It's hard to match Barry up with fighters because he has such a poor ground game. I think he'll get a newbie kickboxer on an undercard his next fight.

The thing about the two knockdowns is that Barry didn't attack, I mean, that's MMA 101 unless you're fighting some jiu jitsu nightmare. This is Cro Cop...you knock him down, you ****ing capitalize. Every other heavyweight would have capitalized and tried to pound him out.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I have to agree. I think Barry will be fine. From a mental standpoint this fight was a good learning experience for him.

I just finished watching the card. I had it recorded and have been avoiding this thread and all sports sites like the plague.

A few comments:

-I didn't really agree with the Condit stoppage even though MacDonald said that he was hurt at the end there.

-I was disappointed that Thiago lost to Kampmann. I've started to become a fan of Paulo and I thought for sure that he could work Kampmann over.

-Cro Cop looked great after the first round of his fight. I was very impressed with how he handled Barry, who IMO is a really good up & comer. I'm excited to see who Cro Cop fights next. I'd love to see him fight Big Nog again or maybe even Ben Rothwell.

-Chuck's career is over. His chin isn't what it used to be and he refuses to implement any kind of defense into his game. I think age is partially responsible for his downfall but I think refusing to leave John Hackleman has cost him some fights too. He's had a great career overall and it would be smart for him to think about his health and hang up his gloves. He'll always have a job with the UFC.

I had money on Barry and he really disappointed me by not finishing Cro Cop when he could. I just kept thinking about his interview on sherdog I read a couple weeks ago:

Sherdog.com: Is your instinct still to check on an injured opponent?

Barry: I’ve done that a lot. This is also my weakness. I’m not a bloodthirsty animal. I’ve hit guys, and this is bad for me, but I’ve hit some guys with some real stiff shots and not followed it up. Like -- boom -- then kind of like look at them to see if they’re OK. Not OK, but if they’re dazed enough that the ref would stop the fight, versus some guy being unconscious, and, while he’s unconscious, me hit him six more times before the ref gets to him. That’s also bad because I’ve had guys in really bad situations where if I was to just bump into them a little, I’d finish the fight, and guys have gone from dazed to woken up. If you remember the Tim Hague fight [at UFC 98], when he stumbled back, he was out. He was like dazed. All I had to do was just touch him, but instead I backed up and looked at him. So by the time I got back to him, he was back awake again.

Sherdog.com: But you came on in the Antoni Hardonk fight at UFC 104 really strong. There was a definite streak to finish in that fight.

Barry: Well, right. But even in that fight, if you watch that last hit that hits him on the head, when he’s on the ground, I punch him and I go to hit him again and I stop. What if [referee] Josh Rosenthal would not have stepped in? Then that was my opportunity to finish the fight, and I didn’t. But like I said, I’m pretty good at telling when the fight’s over and when it’s not. It’s something that could be changed. I don’t hate anybody I fight. I’m not angry at anyone that I compete against. I need them just as much as they need me. We have to feed off of each other. If we don’t have fighters out there, then I don’t work. I think that there’s a classy way, and I get a lot of flack about this, there’s a classy way to be a good sportsman versus just being a brute. I’ve never been in a street fight, man. I’m about to be 31. I’ve never been in a street fight, not even at recess in fourth grade, never. Of course everybody in the world gets mad at somebody eventually, but I’m not a fighter. I play the game really well, but I’m not an angry dude at all

Chuck Liddell's chin is made of glass. That punch that knocked him out cold was not all that.

I'm not completely disagreeing with you here...but he literally walked into the punch. When you "walk into a punch", it's not good.

I had money on Barry and he really disappointed me by not finishing Cro Cop when he could. I just kept thinking about his interview on sherdog I read a couple weeks ago:

He said a few things about this issue in the countdown show too and I also thought about it after the first knockdown of CC. Maybe he didn't want to go to ground? Even through the tv I could tell that the first one didn't daze Mirko so maybe Pat knew it too. t was more about speed. He should have brought it though because he could have ended it with some pummeling.

I want to take a moment and stress what a good card I thought that was. It was sweeter this time because I felt like I was in the definite minority who liked the matchups going in and we were all rewarded with some serious action. :)

Edited by Chachie

I thought about that interview too. Lacking killer instinct possibly cost him the fight last night. But then again, he could've jumped into Cro Cop's guard and got armbarred or something. I don't think Cro Cop was hurt at all on the first knockdown either, but I could definitely tell the second one rang his bell.

I want to take a moment and stress what a good card I thought that was. It was sweeter this time because I felt like I was in the definite minority who liked the matchups going in and we were all rewarded with some serious action. :)

Yep I think you and I were the only ones excited about this card. :pfft: I was definitely happy with it.

Cro Cop put Pat Barry in a wheelchair:

Wow. Well this definitely explains his dropoff in the 3rd round, as StillUnknown mentioned. Although I have to say it was Barry who put Barry in a wheelchair by throwing those vicious punches and kicks that broke the bones.

Cro Cop's body must be concrete.

Before the fight even started my buddy asked who I had between Chuck and Ace. I said "if Chuck keeps his left hand up he has a shot, if he doesn't he'll get knocked the **** out". Look where Chuck's left is when he gets hit on the button. Dammit Chuck! You were winning the freaking fight!

Strikeforce is live on Showtime tonight at 8pm.

Lawler vs. Babalu

Evangelista Cyborg vs. Marius Zaromskis

Trevor Prangly vs. Tim Kennedy

KJ Noons vs. Connor Huen

I'll take Lawler, Zaromskis, Prangley and Noons.

Leaving for LA in 30mins!

I've got Babalu by choke and the rest same as you.