Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

^^^^

Holy moly. I gotta give it up to Liddell. He's hungry again.

After that weight loss you know he is. :silly:

Found these on Sherdog today:

d945405b.jpg

d4834d16.jpg

96d3debc.jpg

He's definitely cut down a lot and prob won't have to dehydrate himself too much before weigh-ins. Unfortunately that doesn't help his chin out a whole lot. I'm still not sure who to pick. I'm leaning toward Franklin but I'd like to see Chuck win.

I think Cro Cop should take the fight to the ground. He's got the experience and enough knowledge to beat Barry on the mat. Conversely, it's hard to believe he's redeveloped the speed to keep up with Barry's stand up. If Cro Cop takes it to the floor, yeah, it won't be a Roger Gracie seminar, but I do think he has the advantage.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I think Cro Cop should take him down. He's got the experience and enough knowledge to beat Barry on the mat. Conversely, it's hard to believe he's redeveloped the speed to keep up with Barry's stand up. If Cro Cop takes it to the floor, yeah, it won't be a Roger Gracie seminar, but I do think he has the advantage.

Dana finally gave Mirko an easy tune-up in his last fight against....? exactly. Perosh, was it? Anyway, he desperately needed it. He's not like Couture, who thrives on only big fights. Cro Cop has to be coddled a bit. Barry is no Junior Dos Santos and he's not even at ManBearPig's level (yet) but he fits that profile of "young, fast, strong, and on the rise" that those guys did when they met Mirko in the octagon. Put it this way- Barry's no Mustafa Al-Turk or Anthony Perosh. He's a young lion. I just have my big doubts about Cro Cop's ability to handle the young lions of the UFC. He needs to close his career against Mir, Nog, and Randy. Not against young lions who will only erase his greatness with speed and desire.

I'll be rooting for Cro Cop saturday night because I love the legends but if he loses (even by decision) Dana should hand him his papers.

Dana finally gave Mirko an easy tune-up in his last fight against....? exactly. Perosh, was it? Anyway, he desperately needed it. He's not like Couture, who thrives on only big fights. Cro Cop has to be coddled a bit. Barry is no Junior Dos Santos and he's not even at ManBearPig's level (yet) but he fits that profile of "young, fast, strong, and on the rise" that those guys did when they met Mirko in the octagon. Put it this way- Barry's no Mustafa Al-Turk or Anthony Perosh. He's a young lion. I just have my big doubts about Cro Cop's ability to handle the young lions of the UFC. He needs to close his career against Mir, Nog, and Randy. Not against young lions who will only erase his greatness with speed and desire.

I'll be rooting for Cro Cop saturday night because I love the legends but if he loses (even by decision) Dana should hand him his papers.

Very good points. Would love to see him against Nog. I'd have the Pride theme blasting in the background while crying.

Would love to see him against Nog. I'd have the Pride theme blasting in the background while crying.

The mental picture is hilarious. :ols:

Mirko fighting a fellow legend does nothing to tarnish his rep or theirs. Getting pummeled by up-and-comers puts him where we all currently have him. In bum country. :(

Edited by Chachie

Here's a good quote from Barry that definitely shows his respect for Cro Cop:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/UFC-115-Primer-24972

"Anybody says that ‘Cro Cop’ is out of his prime can feel free to fight him for me…I'll defend that to the end. In my eyes, he is the man he's always been. It's just that everybody else has gotten better. It makes it a little more difficult nowadays." -- Barry, to the Las Vegas Review-Journal, on Filipovic’s perceived career slide.
Very good points. Would love to see him against Nog. I'd have the Pride theme blasting in the background while crying.

:ols:

I've only seen Pat Barry fight twice but after watching the 115 Countdown show it's apparent that Cro Cop is facing a shorter but much younger and hungrier version of himself. This fight isn't going far beyond the 1st round.

(Also- You know Barry's gonna throw kicks to Cro Cop's "repaired" knee right away.)

Recap of the presser, it looks like CC has a long cut along his forehead. It may not matter, but it's certainly there. He joked about it, but it's an obvious training blunder.

It was a great presser, Pat Barry is hilarious and extremely likable. The kid is just so humble.

There was a great moment where a media member asked all 4 fighters why people think MMA is still made up of a bunch of buffoons. Every one of them had extremely good answers. It's like a blueprint of how to answer the idiots who proclaim MMA as a barbaric sport.

The last fighter to comment was Barry, he hesitated and then spoke deeply in to the microphone with an ashamed tone, "I'm a Buffoon." :ols:

I just got the chance to watch the last episode of TUF 11. I thought the McGee/Tavares fight was one of the best TUF fights I've seen. Awesome TDD, with a last second RNC to put him completely out. The other fight was decent, but McKray needs a ton of work, but he's got the wrestling skills to win fights. I think the new coaches made a HUGE difference in his game plan and fighting. I doubt he would have won the fight with Ortiz still coaching him. I got McGee winning the show. I'm slightly annoyed they are giving Yeager a piece of the main card for the show, even though he quit in his last fight.

UFC 115: Get in my New Belly!

Carlos Condit vs. Rory McDonald: Condit is hit or miss, I think Rory is one tough SOB. Condit will give him a mean stare only to be woken up by Rory's focus and well rounded skills.

McDonald, Unanimous Decision.

Ben Rothwell vs. Gilbert Yvel: This could be one of those "throw 'til somebody goes to bed" fights, or Rothwell could score a takedown and once again put Yvel in a world he hates to be in. I'm merely going off a hunch, but I think Rothwell stands with him and gets nailed first.

Yvel, TKO, round 1.

Paulo Thiago vs. Martin Kampmann: I don't think Kampmann has anything for Thiago. I think he'll get beat up enough for Thiago to sink in a formality of a submission.

Thiago, arm triangle, round 2.

Mirko Cro Cop vs. Pat Barry: Barry is now a full step faster and has more power than Cro Cop, but I think Cro Cop should take this fight to the ground. He's not known for his ground game, but he has plenty of experience down there. I think it's his best bet. Barry catches him on the chin and finishes this quickly.

Barry, KO, round 1.

Chuck Liddell vs. Rich Franklin: Rich is a good starter, but not much of a devastating finisher, unless you count Quarry waltzing in to his best left hand. In my opinion, this fight depends on how smart Rich fights. Rich has a tendency to fight smart then inexplicably hover in to action he shouldn't be a part of. I don't know why he does it, the guy has fine technique, he just seems to welcome most exchanges that come to him. If I was in Chuck's corner, I'd tell him to back the dude up and throw bombs several times in a round. Instead of circling out like he should, Rich will try to fight back a few times and leave his chin exposed.

Chuck Liddell, TKO, round 3.

Chael Sonnen: #1 contender; Politician; Last Comic Standing.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-fI7GGX8nM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-fI7GGX8nM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

This is going to fire Anderson up big time.

Edited by Sebowski

UFC 115: The Pride of Chucky

Carlos Condit vs. Rory McDonald: Two good young fighters. I'm banking on Condit's ability to absorb punishment. He'll take it deep and prevail. FOTN candidate.

Condit by split decision.

Ben Rothwell vs. Gilbert Yvel: Fireworks. First big punch ends it. No idea who will land it but I'll just flip a coin.

Rothwell, TKO, round 2. Yvel's stamina is suspect.

Paulo Thiago vs. Martin Kampmann: Another FOTN candidate. I like Kampmann but I think Thiago is more well-rounded.

Thiago, kneebar, round 2.

Mirko Cro Cop vs. Pat Barry: Cro Cop only beats grapplers these days. Barry is a younger version of Mirko. Therefore the young version beats the old version. I hope we see a 3 round kickfest with a late KO, but...

Cro Cop wilts in rd 2. Barry by TKO.

...I'm a die hard Cro Cop fan though. I really hope he comes back in style.

Chuck Liddell vs. Rich Franklin: I think this fight will be very frustrating to watch for the first 2 rounds. Both guys will be somewhat hesitant to lean in and bang. I think Chuck will become a wrestler tonight the way he did against Wandy to eke that one out. But- I still say Rich beat Hendo and if he fights the same way tonight, he'll beat Liddell. However, I have to make a pick, right?

Chuck Liddell, UD.

I also predict Chuck Liddell will fight naked.

Edited by Chachie