Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Another big step for MMA....this is up there with Rashad's Microsoft commercial and Gina's Pepsi commercial:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/gsps-gatorade-deal-hits-the-us-18271

GSP’s Gatorade Deal Hits the U.S.

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Jake Rossen

When it was announced that Georges St. Pierre had signed an endorsement deal with Gatorade Canada in March, observers pegged it as a major step forward in MMA’s “mainstream” market acceptance. As with Caol Uno and his Nike sponsorship in Japan, though, it still didn’t feel all that tangible to North American fans. (Let’s face it: We’re an insulated, self-involved culture. If it’s not happening here, it’s not happening.)

But if you’re willing to crack open the new issue of Rolling Stone -- and can suffer the indignity of buying a magazine with a Jonas brothers cover -- you might be pleased to see a two-page spread for Gatorade’s “G” campaign featuring St. Pierre decked out in green trunks. He’s not identified by name, but it’s an obvious signal that blue-chip companies are willing to acknowledge the sport’s sizable influence and its ability to arrest the attention of key demographics.

"Georges' relationship with Gatorade has recently expanded into the U.S., where he will be featured in a national print campaign launching July 1 that includes Rolling Stone and outdoor advertising in the New York City and Los Angeles markets,” St. Pierre’s manager, Shari L. Spencer, told Sherdog/ESPN.com. “We're excited that this relationship now reaches his fans in the U.S. as well as in Canada, and we're proud to be part of the Gatorade team."

Why this pleases me, I’m not sure: probably because St. Pierre, like so many others before him, didn’t get into MMA with designs on becoming a spoiled athlete. Considering the faint pulse of the sport at the time of his 2002 debut, it was just as likely he’d soon have to consider an alternative career. That he’s now cashing checks based on a love of something he might have done for free? It just seems fair. Take the risk, reap the rewards.

Joe Riggs vs. Nick Diaz II possible, but not set, for Aug. 15 Strikeforce event

by Dann Stupp on Jul 01, 2009 at 1:15 pm ET

One of the most infamous fights in MMA history, complete with a legendary post-fight emergency room brawl reportedly broken up by police officers, may spawn an upcoming rematch.

Joe Riggs (31-11) first defeated Nick Diaz (20-7) via unanimous decision in 2006 at UFC 57, and since then, both fighters have given slightly different versions of a scrap that took place at an emergency room after the bout.

Now, with both fighters under contract to Strikeforce, officials are considering adding Riggs vs. Diaz II to the Showtime-televised main card for their Aug. 15 show in San Jose, Calif.

That event, which takes place at the HP Pavilion, features at least two title fights with Gina Carano vs. Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos (for Strikeforce's first-ever 145-pound women's championship) and Strikeforce lightweight champ Josh Thomson vs. interim title-holder Gilbert Melendez.

Strikeforce executive Mike Afromowitz today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reports that the bout is set are premature, but he said the organization hasn't closed the door on the possibility of the welterweight fight.

Riggs would enter the fight with two straight wins and three victories in his past four fights. He most recently defeated Phil Baroni via unanimous decision at a June 6 event in St. Louis.

Diaz, meanwhile, has posted five consecutive victories, and he's 9-1 with no one no-contest (he submitted notable Takanori Gomi, but the result was later ruled to a no-contest after Diaz tested positive for marijuana) in his past 11 fights. He most recently defeated Scott Smith via submission at the June 6 event.

In addition to the above fights, the Aug. 15 Strikeforce fight was expected to feature heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem's first title defense, possibly against undefeated Brett Rogers. Afromowitz said there are no updates on the potential bout, but sources close to the fight tell MMAjunkie.com the fight is looking "unlikely."

Misc-OhSnap_Bear.jpg

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15377/shane-carwin-vs-cain-velasquez-in-works-for-ufc-104-in-los-angeles-on-oct-24.mma

A heavyweight contest between top undefeated prospects Shane Carwin (11-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) and Cain Velasquez (6-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) is currently in the works for UFC 104.

If finalized, the bout would likely feature on the main card of the Oct. 24 pay-per-view event, which will take place at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Sources close to the bout, which was first reported by MMAMadness.com, have confirmed to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Carwin has verbally accepted the contest, while Velasquez is expected to follow suit.

Carwin also confirmed his participation in the contest with a post on his Twitter account.

"Looks like I'll be fighting Oct. 24 in Los Angeles," Carwin stated. "Excited to know."

Jason Genet, Carwin's manager, pointed MMAjunkie.com to his client's Twitter message when asked about the fight. While unable to confirm the status of the fight, he said a potential matchup with Velasquez is just the type of opportunity they want.

"For Team Carwin, we want to fight whoever it takes to fight for that belt," Genet said. "Cain, whoever – we are excited to be getting an opportunity. Shane is ready to continue the climb to the top of the division."

The potential contest between the highly regarded heavyweights would likely determine the division's No. 1 contender, though the winner of the UFC 102 between MMA legends Randy Couture and Antonio Rodrgio Nogueira may also figure prominently in the immediate title picture.

Carwin, who has never fought beyond the first round in his near-four-year career, has needed just three minutes and 24 seconds to dispatch of Gabriel Gonzaga, Neil Wain and Christian Wellisch in his three fights for the UFC.

The Gonzaga contest, which took place in March, was Carwin's most recent appearance in the octagon.

Velasquez last fought in June, earning a unanimous decision over Cheick Kongo at UFC 99 in Germany. The win was Velasquez's fourth straight in the octagon, a streak that also includes wins over Denis Stojnic, Jake O'Brien and Brad Morris.

For complete coverage of UFC 104, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

i'm taking Carwin by brutal knockout

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15380/ufc-announces-four-grappling-superfights-for-fan-expo-2009-in-las-vegas.mma

While it may be of little solace to heartbroken Limp Bizkit fans, grappling enthusiasts will be thrilled to learn of the UFC's latest addition to the organization's first-ever fan expo.

While Limp Bizkit recently canceled their previously scheduled concert, Bill Cooper, Ulysses Gomez, Jeff Glover, Vinicius Magalhaes, Fredson Paixao, Rumina Sato and Joe Stevenson will take part in grappling superfights as part of the weekend's Grapplers Quest tournament.

The UFC Fan Expo 2009, held in conjunction with UFC 100, takes place July 10 and 11 at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas.

On Friday, July 10, "The Ultimate Fighter 8" cast member Magalhaes will meet an opponent yet to be determined. While Magalhaes has struggled recently in MMA contests, "Pezao" is an eight-time medalist at the Brazilian jiu-jitsu world championships.

That day's main event will see Gomez, a four-time Palace Fighting Championship veteran and multiple-time grappling champion, meet Shooto legend and 40-fight MMA veteran Sato.

On Saturday, WEC contender and four-time Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion Paixao meets 22-time Grapplers Quest champion Glover.

Additionally, UFC lightweight contender Stevenson, who recently defeated Nate Diaz on the main card of June's The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale, meets Cooper, a 22-year-old jiu-jitsu black belt that has earned 24 Grapplers Quest titles.

The grappling superfights are just one of several activities – including autograph opportunities, training sessions and product demonstrations – available during the fan expo.

I could not agree more...with both of your statements. I did not even know Limb Bozkit was still around until I heard about this concert.

Me either, I thought they were totally done. I know that the UFC are trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator of casual fans with someone like Limp Bizkit, but I wish they would make better choices about who to have perform. I feel like MMA is still being judged a little unfairly from outsiders and when you have a group like that come and play it reinforces the audience stereotype.

I think Swick is right around championship material. Dude is really hitting his stride. Kampmann is a bad ass, but I just don't see him beating Swick. Time will tell.

I wouldn't say Swick is championship material. But he's deserving of a title shot. If he beats Kampmann, I can't think of anyone more deserving.

Alves on GSP: 'I'm Going to Knock him Out'

http://sherdog.com/videos/recent/Alves-on-GSP-Im-Going-to-Knock-him-Out-2027

Very good possibility. Also a good possibility that Alves spends 3-4 rounds on his back getting pounded on. I like both of these guys a lot. Can't wait for this fight.

GSP is another fighter that i find myself rooting against, with absolutely no logical reasoning for doing so

GSP is a guy that I can't figure out if I hate him or like him...

He's a polarizing figure in the MMA world. Although I'd argue Lesnar to be the most polarizing figure...

Gotta turn my sigs off now because every time StillUnknown posts my screen lags to oblivion :)

GSP is another fighter that i find myself rooting against, with absolutely no logical reasoning for doing so

I've been rooting for the Jackson camp recently (minus Jardine as always lol). I like how well they gameplan for each fight. I suspect this one will be no different, except if their plan is to take down Thiago and pound him all fight; that might be too obvious. Not to mention Thiago kept Koscheck from taking him down and Koscheck's wrestling is on par with GSP's.

Will be interesting to see what they do. I wouldn't rule out anything. Not even a plan to stand with Thiago for a round or two because that's the last thing his camp is expecting.

I've been rooting for the Jackson camp recently (minus Jardine as always lol). I like how well they gameplan for each fight. I suspect this one will be no different, except if their plan is to take down Thiago and pound him all fight; that might be too obvious. Not to mention Thiago kept Koscheck from taking him down and Koscheck's wrestling is on par with GSP's.

Will be interesting to see what they do. I wouldn't rule out anything. Not even a plan to stand with Thiago for a round or two because that's the last thing his camp is expecting.

Koscheck didn't really try to take him down that many times. he had a sean sherk moment and turned into a kickboxer :doh:

it will be interesting to see how GSP responds to being in the cage with someone who's just as big as he is. part of GSP dominance stems from the fact that he's so much bigger than his opponents. that wont be the case this time around, although i still think he's stronger than Alves

Koscheck didn't really try to take him down that many times. he had a sean sherk moment and turned into a kickboxer :doh:

it will be interesting to see how GSP responds to being in the cage with someone who's just as big as he is. part of GSP dominance stems from the fact that he's so much bigger than his opponents. that wont be the case this time around, although i still think he's stronger than Alves

I just watched the fight for the first time the other night. I felt Kos did try a couple times (legit shots) but paid the price for it, and gave up. He tried a few more times in the last couple of rounds, but usually because he was rocked.

IMO, Kos is a much better wrestler than GSP, but I agree that GSP's size is what gives GSP the better chance at taking Alves down. However, GSP doesn't have half the chin that Kos does.

I think it is either a TKO for Alves by the end of round 2, or a boring 5 round decision for GSP. I'm hoping for the former.