Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Does anyone think Alves can beat GSP? I think that fight is going to be awesome. Thiago has cement fists and he throws fast.....he also NEVER lets people take him down. But GSP is just so great all around.....hes a great fighter.

I think it would be cool to see Thiago beat him..

if Alves can find a way to keep the fight standing, he has a great shot. Alves can stand with anyone in the world at 170, his leg kicks are a thing of beauty.

problem is, nobody has stopped GSP from taking them down. throwing leg kicks will open Alves up to be taken down if he's not careful.

it comes down to if Alves can stop the takedown, if he can he has a good shot of winning.

if not GSP will finish with strikes on the ground

Man, I still can't believe Aldo hit Swanson with both knees. That thing is amazing. I watch it for about 3 min every time a read one of SU's posts.

i've never seen anything like it. we've all seen the occasional flying knee land, but a flying double knee is insanity. add to the fact that each connect caused a separate cut on the mans face............Jose Aldo is a glimpse of what MMA talent will be in 5-10yrs

he's one of the first fighters that we've seen that has specifically trained for MMA since he was an early teenager.

Edited by StillUnknown

Does anyone think Alves can beat GSP? I think that fight is going to be awesome. Thiago has cement fists and he throws fast.....he also NEVER lets people take him down. But GSP is just so great all around.....hes a great fighter.

I think he can but like SU said, it's going to hinge on him stopping the takedowns.

IMO, Alves is GSP's toughest opponent to date. We've seen that GSP can be overwhelmed by strikes and Alves is tailor-made to do that.

At the same time though, GSP's game is constantly evolving and I wouldn't be completely surprised if he could finish Alves on the ground. If GSP wins this fight decisively there's not many more guys out there for him to prove himself against at 170.

I would love to see Thiago beat GSP. I do not see it happening though. GSP will lean on Thiago and take him down for 5 rounds. Thiago has 5 chances to win the fight. The opening of each round when they are both standing with space.

Watching the repeat of TUF finale.

Does anyone think Bisping has a shot against Hendo? This is going to be a brutal fight, with Bisping getting roughed up pretty good IMO.

I don't think he has much of a shot. UFC apparently does though. They are already planning a Manchester show and the rumor is Anderson-Bisping if Bisping wins.

I couldn't get the link to work but on ESPN's MMA page there is an article about how Bisping is predicting he will be the first man to knock out Hendo. :)

Oh please. Bisping just needs to STFU. Stat.

I hope Henderson murders him. Really. I have no desire to see anymore of Bisping's ugly face or ugly personality in the UFC ever again.

Unfortunately, Bisping's stupid ass will probably be around for awhile, but I'd actually be willing to put a lot of money down on this doosey of a prediction. Gosh I hate that jerk.

mmajunkie.com

Agreements in place for Roger Huerta vs. Gray Maynard at UFC Fight Night 19 in September

by John Morgan on Jun 25, 2009 at 3:15 pm ET

UFC lightweight Roger Huerta (20-2-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) is set return from a year-long layoff when he faces top lightweight prospect Gray Maynard (7-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 19 in Oklahoma City.

The fight was first reported as a possibility by Sherdog.com, and MMAjunkie.com has learned from sources close to the event that both fighters have agreed to the contest and bout agreements are expected to be signed shortly.

UFN 19, which will serve as the lead in for Spike TV's "The Ultimate Fighter 10" debut, is scheduled for Sept. 16 at the Cox Convention Center.

-----------

Great news. I've been wondering who each of these guys would get next. Should be a hell of a fight.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9056&zoneid=2

The delay brought by WEC lightweight champion Jamie Varner's hand injury has created an opening.

Donald Cerrone, who was expected to take on the champion in a rematch from their January battle, will instead take on rising prospect Ben Henderson, likely for an interim lightweight belt, at WEC 43 in September. Henderson was booked as the challenger after early discussions named former contender Rich Crunkilton as the replacement.

Cerrone on Thursday confirmed the news to mmamania.com and Henderson announced it on his personal blog. While bouts agreements haven't been signed, and details are still being worked out, both parties have agreed to the fight.

It would mark the first time the WEC has employed an interim title.

The event's date and location are still undetermined, but Cincinnati has been named as a possible host.

Henderson last appeared at WEC 40, where he defeated Shane Roller by strikes in the second round. The 25 year-old Filipino-American has won all but one of his nine professional appearances. He currently trains out of The Lab in Glendale, Ariz.

Cerrone lost his bid for the lightweight title in January when an illegal knee he threw brought a premature close to the WEC 38 bout. Varner's lead in points ruled him the winner. The loss was his first in 12 professional bouts. The 26-year-old Colorado native bounced back at WEC 41 with a decimation of James Krause, submitting the newcomer in the first round.

Varner pulled another one of these:

o7rkoh.gif

I'm pretty sure you're right about there having to be a lull in the action.

But at the same time I'm not sure if I agree with that rule or not because there's a good chance that if you lose your mouthpiece in the middle of action that someone could bust your teeth out.

Then again, what would stop a fighter from spitting out their mouthpiece intentionally to get a chance to recover?

I think that's just one of those gray areas that's hard to come to a good conclusion on.

Edited by #98QBKiller

yeah i can see both sides of the argument

i think most fighters would be honest about it and never intentionally drop the mouthpiece, but i've seen instances in boxing where spitting the mouthpiece out was intentional and benefited the hurt fighter (the Diego Corales/Jose Luis Castillo all-time classic is a perfect example)

I'm pretty sure you're right about there having to be a lull in the action.

But at the same time I'm not sure if I agree with that rule or not because there's a good chance that if you lose your mouthpiece in the middle of action that someone could bust your teeth out.

Then again, what would stop a fighter from spitting out their mouthpiece intentionally to get a chance to recover?

I think that's just one of those gray areas that's hard to come to a good conclusion on.

They already deduct points for intentional spitting out of the mouth piece. The trouble seems to be the ref's interpretation at the time. They generally get one warning and then a point. Much like grabbing the cage, which I think should be an automatic point on first offense.

Anyone else watching "Ultimate Chaos"?

Bob Sapp vs. Bobby Lashley

Gilbert Yvel vs. Pedro Rizzo

Javier Vazquez vs. Din Thomas

Chris Horodecki vs. William Sriyapai

Brett Cooper vs. Waachiim Spiritwolf

Randy Hedderick vs. Tom Atencio

Colby McMahan vs. James Orso

Danny Abbadi vs. Lance Thompson

Eric Bradley vs. Colin McKee

In other words, anyone else stuck in front of a computer on Saturday night? I am curious about the Lashley-Sapp fight. Wouldn't have gone out of my way to watch.

Yvel-Rizzo could be pretty exciting.

Slightly interest in seeing "the t-shirt guy" fight. Hope he gets his ass kicked to be honest, but he probably set himself up for an easy win.

Thomas and Hordecki are quality fighters. Too bad they are fighting nobodies instead of each other.

Rizzo/Yvel is a good matchup, but nothing of significance at this point. I'd be surprised if Sapp wins, even though Lashley is new to MMA and giving up a ton of weight. Sapp, and I hate to use this term, is a can-killer. He beats people by basically making them faint at the sight of him. Lashley will probably go low right away and whip him around with a single leg (good luck getting a double leg). The last thing he should risk right now is running in to a wild punch from a fading Bob Sapp.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll