Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

TUF Finale predictions:

Melvin Guillard vs. Gleison Tibau: Melvin "Kevin Randleman" Guillard has that huge fight-ending mentality that I think will get him pressing too hard and caught in another submission. Tibau, RNC, round 1.

Joe Stevenson vs. Nate Diaz: Super fight. Joe Stevenson needs this fight very badly. I do think he has a better chance than the majority of MMA fans are giving him. Always the threat of a Diaz sub but I think Joe can scurry away from the youngster at this point. Stevenson wins this on takedowns. Joe Daddy, Unanimous Decision.

Ross Pearson vs. Andre Winner: I swear I watch the show, just don't remember much about Winner. Sure has a hell of a last name to live up to. I'll take Ross by hail mary. Round 1 KO.

DaMarques Johnson vs. James Wilks: Pretty even match-up. Leaning towards Johnson because of how calm and collected he seems to be. DaMarques, Unanimous Decision.

Chris Lytle vs. Kevin Burns: Lytle is one of the best gatekeepers out there. There's a stark contrast in the names he's beaten and those he's lost to. He's the perfect gauge, and I'm afraid burns isn't of the upper-echelon. Lytle by TKO (cut), round 2.

Diego Sanchez vs. Clay Guida: Both of these guys are bad ass mother****ers, it's as simple as that. This could be a potential fight of the year candidate. Clay has to watch out for knees ala the 3rd round of the Huerta fight. His hunched-over and scrappy style begs for him to get kneed in the head. He also sometimes slows down in the third because of his torrential pace in the first two rounds. He has to have the fight of his life here, and if anybody can step up to the plate it's the crazy caveman. Clay, Unanimous Decision.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Damn Chachie I didn't make it in time for predictions....but I have to say Guida vs. Sanchez is one of the best fights I've seen all year.

I've pretty much come to expect that from Guida. Anyone remember his fight with Roger Huerta a few years ago? Just as epic.

That was a good card overall for a TUF finale. Can't wait until UFC 100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm surprised Diego didn't finish that fight in the first round. He had Guida rocked a couple times in that round. Great fight. Overall card was good. Wilks looks really good. Very technical and has both standing and ground game. He may rise quickly. UFC 100 next...should be good.

I'm surprised Diego didn't finish that fight in the first round.

I was too. I tend to root against Sanchez. I don't know why. He has all the best qualities in a fighter and he's for real. I just get tired of his "intensity." :)

He could have blown Guida away but he was a tad gun shy, perhaps with good reason. Guida was tagging him intermittently but in that first round Sanchez pulled a Guida on Guida. Overwhelmed him right away and almost ended it there. Clay won the 2nd with some gritty groundwork but even from his back Diego was hurting him with elbows and sub attempts.

I think more than anything it was just a case of Guida having a great chin. I remember Diego saying something about that after the fight too. He was talking about how he thought he put Guida out with that high kick. I thought he was out too. That kick caught him right on the button but he came back to fairly quickly.

So did I understand Mike Goldberg right last night, that the winner will face BJ or Florian for the title?

What drug is Guida on? Is it cocaine?

Next to GSP, the guy have been my favorite for the last three years.

I just seriously wonder what he is taking that can give him that much energy.

It has to be more than dietary. All of the MMAs know how to diet.

I'll pose the big debate question on Sherdog to you guys, since I'm having trouble making up my mind on this.

When a fighter is on top of a guy and gets hit more from the guy on the bottom, while having to fend off a few sub attempts...who wins the round?

My opinion was always that when a guy is on top, he has the upper hand, unless he actually gets sub'd. But after Diego smashed the top of Clay's head and set up about 5 kimura attempts, it's hard to argue that Guida won those ground battles.

I scored the fight a draw, 28-28. I hear people talk about Guida "dry humping" Diego, but to bring homosexuality in to the equation is just to emphasize a point that doesn't have enough merit in the first place. Lay & pray might be boring in many cases, but if you know you're fighting a guy like that, practice on getting your ass up during training camp. It wasn't like Diego tried getting up, why should Clay risk getting swept on a transition against a dangerous jiu jitsu guy with sick ground and pound? To please Bubba watching with a warm Milwaukee's Best in his hand?

It's all very debatable, Diego cut Guida up with those elbows, but are CUTS that significant? You can get smashed by haymakers and not get cut, but a glancing shot can make it look like you sliced an artery. Guida was bleeding pretty badly, and he got busted up in the first real bad. But he paid his 2 points for that, and I don't think a flurry of elbows to the crown of the head completely wins a round...that's just me.

I was very surprised in Diego's demeanor in round 3. He had the look on his face like, "I've hit this guy with everything I have and he's still walking towards me." He is a talented fighter, and count me in as a guy that loves his intensity. But Guida won even more fans last night.

The bottom line is that Diego either won that fight or it was a draw. I called it a draw. Just can't make my mind up about what is considered more important, a few more strikes landed from the bottom or top position?

I'll pose the big debate question on Sherdog to you guys, since I'm having trouble making up my mind on this.

When a fighter is on top of a guy and gets hit more from the guy on the bottom, while having to fend off a few sub attempts...who wins the round?

My opinion was always that when a guy is on top, he has the upper hand, unless he actually gets sub'd. But after Diego smashed the top of Clay's head and set up about 5 kimura attempts, it's hard to argue that Guida won those ground battles.

My opinion goes like this:

The elbows Diego threw from his back established offensive effectiveness. Clay spent the 2nd round on top but I didn't feel like he was winning the fight because of it. Sanchez was creating all the offense (elbows, punches, sub attempts), therefore had I been a judge I'd have scored the round in his favor. The judges scored it for Clay and I'm fine with that. I understand the way it goes but I wasn't worried about Diego with Clay in his guard. I was worried about Guida.

And just for the record, I was rooting for Clay Guida but I was seeing Sanchez fight better the whole way.

My opinion goes like this:

The elbows Diego threw from his back established offensive effectiveness. Clay spent the 2nd round on top but I didn't feel like he was winning the fight because of it. Sanchez was creating all the offense (elbows, punches, sub attempts), therefore had I been a judge I'd have scored the round in his favor. The judges scored it for Clay and I'm fine with that. I understand the way it goes but I wasn't worried about Diego with Clay in his guard. I was worried about Guida.

And just for the record, I was rooting for Clay Guida but I was seeing Sanchez fight better the whole way.

Can't say you're wrong.

I still think a fighter establishing top position and avoiding sweeps/reversals has to be worth something. But was it worth enough to win those rounds? One could make a good argument for both fighters winning rounds 2 and 3. Hell, perhaps even having a 10-10 round in there.

I also have mixed feelings about Clay accepting a Frye/Takayama exchange right off the bat. He's not a high level kickboxer, he was facing a better striker that had a reach advantage. It was a death wish. Exciting, yes, but wanting to please the crowd or have a pissing contest right off the bat will inevitably get you hurt. After 10 seconds Clay was already cloudy.

I'm a huge fan of Guida, but the kid needs to work on his finishing abilities. No KO power, hardly enough submission skills to be effective in the UFC, his ground and pound is lacking...how does he finish people? Perhaps a move down to featherweight would help?

Diego won all three rounds. Laying on a guy while making zero attempts to finish the fight does not mean much in my book. The sub attempts and elbows from Diego were more than enough to win each round for me. If you are casing no damage you are not winning the round/fight.

I love Guida's energy, wrestling, and stamina, but I am tired of seeing him fight. He is Sean Sherk 4 years ago. Seen it. It doesn't get better from here.

OK...I missed this the first time around, but I watched the finale again last night and in that little Burger King feature with Amir Sadollah (have to do soemthing with him I guess) and Dana, they were discussing plans for Anderson Silva. Dana said he had a few things up his sleeve to challenge him and then mentioned Vitor Belfort.

Did I miss something? Are there negotiations I am unaware of? It is just kind of odd to me for Dana to specifically mention a fighter from another organization.

OK...I missed this the first time around, but I watched the finale again last night and in that little Burger King feature with Amir Sadollah (have to do soemthing with him I guess) and Dana, they were discussing plans for Anderson Silva. Dana said he had a few things up his sleeve to challenge him and then mentioned Vitor Belfort.

Did I miss something? Are there negotiations I am unaware of? It is just kind of odd to me for Dana to specifically mention a fighter from another organization.

i think he's a free agent after his fight with Jorge Santiago at the next Affliction card.

You're right, Dana is apparently eyeing him:

http://sherdogblog.craveonline.com/blog/2009-06-20

Would be a good bout for Anderson IMO. Anderson should win, but Vitor still has good standup.

I scored the fight a draw, 28-28. I hear people talk about Guida "dry humping" Diego, but to bring homosexuality in to the equation is just to emphasize a point that doesn't have enough merit in the first place. Lay & pray might be boring in many cases, but if you know you're fighting a guy like that, practice on getting your ass up during training camp. It wasn't like Diego tried getting up, why should Clay risk getting swept on a transition against a dangerous jiu jitsu guy with sick ground and pound? To please Bubba watching with a warm Milwaukee's Best in his hand?

It's all very debatable, Diego cut Guida up with those elbows, but are CUTS that significant? You can get smashed by haymakers and not get cut, but a glancing shot can make it look like you sliced an artery. Guida was bleeding pretty badly, and he got busted up in the first real bad. But he paid his 2 points for that, and I don't think a flurry of elbows to the crown of the head completely wins a round...that's just me.

I was very surprised in Diego's demeanor in round 3. He had the look on his face like, "I've hit this guy with everything I have and he's still walking towards me." He is a talented fighter, and count me in as a guy that loves his intensity. But Guida won even more fans last night.

The bottom line is that Diego either won that fight or it was a draw. I called it a draw. Just can't make my mind up about what is considered more important, a few more strikes landed from the bottom or top position?

I think that you have to count strikes from the bottom position as long as they are effective. Those elbows that Diego threw from the bottom were definitely effective. Not because they tore Guida up, but because they negated his top position and made him cover up to avoid a potential TKO from inside someone's guard.

From what I understand, and someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that physical damage (bleeding, cuts, bruises, etc.) is supposed to be factored in a judge's decision.

That being said, Mike Goldberg commented on the damage that Guida sustained during the fight and said something along the lines of "I wonder if all of this blood will affect the judges decision?" So I'm confused on whether or not it should be counted.

Either way, I feel like top position shouldn't necessarily equal automatic points. If you take someone down, you get points for that but once you're in their guard it's up to you to get points after that. For example, if you're in someone's guard and are effectively using ground n pound or are attempting submissions that are keeping your opponent constantly having to defend himself then I think that you should be awarded points, however, if you're in someone's guard and they are elbowing you from the bottom and negating any offense you may have or if they are attempting submissions from guard and negating your top position then they should be awarded the points.