Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Just now, Morrison J said:

Awful quiet on here tonight. All the McGregor haters gone into hiding it seems. 

Fighting Irish running the show :rofl89:

I knew what was coming. I hated this fight the moment they set it up. It's a waste and there's much better fighters to put in the octagon with Connor. 

1 minute ago, Taylor703 said:

I just said the champ of a division had no business being in the octagon with him. How much more credit could I give him J?

Concentrating on the opponent instead of giving credit to the fighter who's just made history? You're playing down what he's done whichever way you look at it. 

This pretty much happens every time Connor fights, J. You get too emotional about it. I just said Connor is leagues above the champ of a division and you're still upset. He's an extremely talented fighter but Alvarez had no business trading shots with him and most MMA fans could've told you that before the fight started. The key for Alvarez was to take him down and he thought he could outbox him and then he got hurt and it was too late. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Conor hater here. Rooting for Eddie but was well aware of Donor's ability to beat him. Regardless of him winning, he didn't deserve the title shot. Khabib mauls him imo. Looks better at 155 imo, too small at 170 if actually tries that. Eddie could barely take down Pettis, Eddie isn't a great wrestler. 

If Khabib got Connor to the ground it would be over quickly. And they better give Khabib the fight now. Enough of the gimmicky bull**** they've been pulling for Connor. Defend one of the titles. 

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

How was it a waste, if Alvarez was the champ ? Conor wanted that belt. So no other fight made sense.

Because Alvarez just isn't anywhere in the same class as Connor. The fight was a joke and it showed from the beginning. I was much more excited for Woodley-Thompson because I knew Connor was going to work Eddie badly.

1 minute ago, Taylor703 said:

This pretty much happens every time Connor fights, J. You get too emotional about it. I just said Connor is leagues above the champ of a division and you're still upset. He's an extremely talented fighter but Alvarez had no business trading shots with him and most MMA fans could've told you that before the fight started. The key for Alvarez was to take him down and he thought he could outbox him and then he got hurt and it was too late. 

I'm definitely not upset right now :)

I was only pissed off after the last Conor fight because people tried to make a case for Diaz winning when Conor clear as day won 3 rounds. 

Just making this thread a bit impartial that's all. it's very anti-McGregor tbf. 

Connor the man and all but it appears the UFC is taking good care of him. Who else could win the belt from a 5+ year champ on a fluke 13 second k.o. and not have to give the man a rematch. Not even after he beat Frankie. He hasn't defended it once and that was a year ago. He then fights a 5ish ranked lightweight at 170 and gets beat. You'd think he'd have to defend his 145.....nope. He fights Nate again and gets gifted a decision in which he literally ran in the fight. Oscar Dela HOya was like 'damn'.  Then he jumps in front of the line to fight the champ? Khabib has been there at no.1 for 4 years it seems and it wouldn't be right if he don't get the next shot. Though I think Ferg might be the best in the division.

Connor looked great at 155 no doubt.  The reach advantage didn't seem much on paper, but it clearly ruined Alvarez's chance at trying to stand and bang, he was lunging with punches the entire fight and it led to him either having no mustard on his shots or completing whiffing leaving him wide open for counters. 

The Nate-Connor rematch was a draw, IMO.  Connor took 3 rounds, but Round 3 was a 10-8 thrashing in Nate's favor.  I hope they put together a trilogy fight for Superbowl Saturday.

Woodley is a freak of nature, but he was clearly flustered by Wonderboy's style.  I think in a rematch Wonderboy is more aggressive and has a good chance to claim the belt, however Woodley is superior in a lot of areas.  Overall a fight I'd love to see again.

1 hour ago, Morrison J said:

I'm definitely not upset right now :)

I was only pissed off after the last Conor fight because people tried to make a case for Diaz winning when Conor clear as day won 3 rounds. 

Just making this thread a bit impartial that's all. it's very anti-McGregor tbf. 

Not...really.  I'd say this thread is remarkably even-keeled compared to MMA forums.  That is, until a famous fighter has a fight and everyone comes out of the woodwork to bash each other.

There's no denying he has a lot of talent and a ton of swagger.  

Doc is a rankings nazi anyway.  Matchups like this make him want to do somersaults while omoplata'ing Dana.

Love ya Doc.  Hendo/Bisping II - Never Forget.

21 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Not...really.  I'd say this thread is remarkably even-keeled compared to MMA forums.  That is, until a famous fighter has a fight and everyone comes out of the woodwork to bash each other.

There's no denying he has a lot of talent and a ton of swagger. 

This thread is not even-keeled whatsoever :ols:

Every excuse in the book comes out when he wins and every win he gets is a robbery, fluke or because his opponent is ****/didn't have a full camp. That's a fact.  

36 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

This thread is not even-keeled whatsoever :ols:

Every excuse in the book comes out when he wins and every win he gets is a robbery, fluke or because his opponent is ****/didn't have a full camp. That's a fact.  

Just because you keep saying it, doesn't make it true.  I'm looking back at the conversation during and after the fight, and I see unbiased commentary, and amazement at his skill - even from Doc.  Aside from you misinterpreting Taylor, twisting his praise in to an insult, the conversation was quite even-keeled amongst the regulars.

But you're right, it isn't even-keeled right now.  We have Conor's brother Jim posting under Morrison J.

SU, me, and a few other regulars in the thread didn't even post during the fight.  I think the dude's left hand is Jeebus, his overall striking game is really good, he's tough, and I voice that in every fight of his.  I notice most of us doing the same for the most part.  There are some critics here and there about this and that, but most of us know what's up at the end of the day - Conor is a beast.

Hopefully that settles this embarrassingly biased narrative you've swooped in here with.  I want to get back to constantly talking **** about Conor and how I think he threw Chong Li's powder in to Eddie's eyes.

Conor is great and all, but can we talk about that Woodley/Wonderboy fight? Holy ****ing **** that 4th round escape and subsequent 5th round domination to pull off a draw was one of the coolest things I've seen in the octagon. A little strange that no one there knew how a majority draw worked, it made the whole thing look staged, but whatever.

Also, Yoel Romero looked crazy juiced.

Edited by Bacon

5 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

SU, me, and a few other regulars in the thread didn't even post during the fight.  I think the dude's left hand is Jeebus, his overall striking game is really good, he's tough, and I voice that in every fight of his.  I notice most of us doing the same for the most part.  There are some critics here and there about this and that, but most of us know what's up at the end of the day - Conor is a beast.

Hopefully that settles this embarrassingly biased narrative you've swooped in here with.  I want to get back to constantly talking **** about Conor and how I think he threw Chong Li's powder in to Eddie's eyes.

I love to follow the sherdog threads while the fights are going on. It's pretty entertaining and I can always count on a "so and so is the GOAT" thread after every card. I'm just starting to get annoyed with all the watered down cards and all the stuff they put on fightpass. 

I was at the bar and it was too loud to hear the judges scores, but at the end of Woodley/Wonderboy I figured I'd have scored it a draw, then I saw Buffer mouth "47-47" and was happy that at least one judge agreed with me.....then the confusion set in, and then the ref came back and raised both their hands.  

I wish more MMA fights ended in a draw.  I know it's not popular, but in fights that are only 5 rounds I think it is an acceptable outcome and usually sets up even more hype for an automatic rematch. I think the big hold up is judges hesitant to hand out 10-8 rounds even when it seems fairly obvious it's warranted. Woodley is an animal and almost put Wonderboy a couple times via strikes and submission, but it was clear that he hadn't totally figured out how to counter Wonderboy's style.  Woodley's athleticism really helped him.

As far as Connor goes, I don't think him being a good fighter can be denied, the dude is hard working and puts in the time.  He said something way back before the Aldo fight which was "timing beats power" and his fights really prove that.  He must spend a good portion of his training going over precisely how to wait and counter his opponent's strikes because it seems like no one yet has been able to avoid his left hand. Now with all this said, Connor has also found a way to get some favorable matchups at the lower weight division.  A lot of it is not his fault, just bad circumstances from his would-be opponents. 

If the rumored fight with GSP doesn't materialize, I'd like to see a trilogy fight with Nate on Super Bowl Saturday as long as he is medically cleared to fight that soon.

Joanna is a beast, but I do like that her opponents are starting to figure her out a little and give her good challenges.  When she first took the belt, she was just blowing everyone out of the water, but her last fight and her defense last night, she was pushed.

Edited by NoCalMike