Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

when that chin goes for Bones, its gonna be ugly. Kind of amazing its still holding strong after 12 years of competing against mostly the best in the world.

Jones reminds me of a phenom pitcher who once struck everyone out throwing 100, who eventually transitions into a pitcher using craftiness to stay great. He's not as fast, his wrestling has regressed, and he doesn't really do the flashy **** anymore, but he has a functional game that works for him as the competition years pile up.

49-46 puts a bad taste on the fight, but even though I scored it 3-2 Reyes, scoring it 3-2 Jones is perfectly acceptable

• Like 1

Bones won tonight because Reyes gassed in the third round. If Reyes had been ready for the marathon, he’d have won fairly easily. Nothing Jones did put Reyes in jeopardy tonight. His wrestling did nothing. His strikes had almost no effect. That is not what we’re used to seeing from Jon Jones.  

This isnt intended to diminish his win.  He leveraged his experience and his superior conditioning to tough out a win.  Nothing wrong with that, it’s just that he doesn’t normally win that way.  Normally, he overwhelms his opponents standing and with his takedowns.  He dominates.  

9 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

when that chin goes for Bones, its gonna be ugly. Kind of amazing its still holding strong after 12 years of competing against mostly the best in the world.

Jones reminds me of a phenom pitcher who once struck everyone out throwing 100, who eventually transitions into a pitcher using craftiness to stay great. He's not as fast, his wrestling has regressed, and he doesn't really do the flashy **** anymore, but he has a functional game that works for him as the competition years pile up.

49-46 puts a bad taste on the fight, but even though I scored it 3-2 Reyes, scoring it 3-2 Jones is perfectly acceptable

I just started wondering if maybe Jones has actually regressed more than DC.

And maybe a trilogy of Jones and DC might go much differently.

57 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I just started wondering if maybe Jones has actually regressed more than DC.

And maybe a trilogy of Jones and DC might go much differently.

I tend to think Jones is just a horrible matchup for DC. DC isn't technical enough on the feet, especially defensively, to present the same types of problems that have proven to give Jones trouble. When he tries to close the distance on Jones, he just leaves himself open, particularly to the body, which Jones exploited in both of their fights. the biggest difference in their respective regression is that Jones has maintained his durability, DC has not.

I think Jones might be better off going to HW. His failing speed wont be such an issue if he goes up a weight class. He won't be knocking anyone out on the feet, but his pace would probably tire enough HW's to get a finish or two through accumulation of damage.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

Both fans and pro fighters seem to mostly believe Reyes won it.

Obviously, these are both non-scientific, but virtually all MMA fighters gave to Reyes here...

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/2/9/21129737/mma-news-pros-react-jon-jones-controversial-win-over-dominick-reyes-ufc-247

And in a poll by Miocic, currently 57% of fans gave it to Reyes...

https://twitter.com/stipemiocic/status/1226590215671701504

• Like 1

I usually stay away from mma fan polls on the account of 98% of mma fans being complete idiots. Obviously nobody in this thread meets that category. Fighters are only slightly above the fans in that regard.

Jones is probably a victim of his previous successes. When you come uo destroying everyone in your path, fighters who stand tall with him, almost get an unconscious bonus.

Rewatched it again earlier, i still give 1-3 to Reyes, but there is an argument for Jones winning the 3rd. Close fight, no robbery. Better cardio from Reyes and he probably wins a rematch. Reyes could also work in more combinations. He hit Jones with some really clean shots that left Jones open for a follow up, but Reyes didnt have anything to throw. 

Jones needs to leave Jackson/Wink tho. His wrestling has deteriorated,  and he can no longer effectively get to the clinch. If you throw any type of combinations, Jones simply waits and tries to avoid. he doesnt throw with fighters, probably because he knows he doesnt have one strike power

Edited by StillUnknown

Close fight, I had it 48-47 for Reyes, but don't feel 48-47 for Jones is a horrible decision.  It likely comes down to Round 3.  I'd have to go back and watch the fight again.  I think now that Reyes has a taste for what a 5 round feels like, he could work on training for that length of a fight, because if his cardio was a little bit better he could have very well won this fight running away.   This felt a lot like the first Bones/Gus fight where Gus was really dominating early and then Jones fought his way back, but to the unbiased observer it felt like the outcome of the fight was already determined (outside of Bones getting a stoppage or rare 10-8 round to in the final 2 rounds).  

Bones has always looked better in rematches, but I am not sure that happens in a rematch with Reyes because Gus was not nearly the same fighter he was in the rematch, and Cormier was still at such physical disadvantages against an opponent like Bones.  

Wouldn't mind seeing a rematch right away, but also wouldn't mind seeing Reyes wreck an opponent or two, to further establish his resume before facing Bones again.

Either way, it was a great fight that elevated the profiles of both fighters.

Also, Valentina is so ridiculously good.  If she hadn't been screwed by the judges in the second Nunes fight, she'd probably be considered the GOAT female MMA fighter right now. 

12 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So if Blacho beats Anderson, it would make sense that he gets the next crack at Jones.

Wait, didn't Blacho lose to Patrick Cummins ?

Please tell me he's improved since then !

unless one of these dudes decapitates the other, I think they go with the Reyes rematch or he goes to HW. Anderson/Blacho aren't exactly selling ppv's in a fight against jones

anderson has a rep for being boring, but he starched Johnnie Walker in his last fight. Blacho had one of the worst fights in recent memory against Jacare his last time out.

22 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

aldo is quite possibly my favorite fighter of all-time, but this is complete bull****. the ufc has become everything they claimed to hate about boxing.

And yet I'll be rooting hard for the guy who doesn't deserve this title shot.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 2:02 PM, StillUnknown said:

aldo is quite possibly my favorite fighter of all-time, but this is complete bull****. the ufc has become everything they claimed to hate about boxing.

Jose Aldo going to ko him. 

If Cejudo beats him in dominating fashion. That’s a huge name and he builds his resume for the greatest combat athlete ever. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Jose Aldo going to ko him. 

If Cejudo beats him in dominating fashion. That’s a huge name and he builds his resume for the greatest combat athlete ever. 

I would favor Aldo if he still threw his low kicks, but he doesn't. Cejudo's resume isn't enhanced by beating him. if anything, his legacy takes a hit for campaigning to fight Aldo when he has credible contenders in line.

• Like 1