Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I can't stand it. I'm very selective about which cards I buy now. I suppose Dana would explain that it's in counter to piracy but I'm not well-educated on all that.

That would seem like a backwards strategy.  Higher prices will only increase piracy, just look at what doomed CD sales and gave rise to Napster, the almost $20 low value CD.  The problem is businesses don't want to come to terms with the dynamic a black market creates.  They aren't selling the UFC.  They are selling a UFC broadcast of higher quality for X price and competing against a UFC broadcast of lower quality for free.  Raising X or reducing the value of the UFC event makes the free option more appealing.  It's not fair but it's the situation as it stands at the moment.  They should greatly reduce prices... it's not like they are paying their fighters nearly as much as they should be anyway, they have room to make deep cuts.  

Edited by Destino

They should greatly reduce prices... it's not like they are paying their fighters nearly as much as they should be anyway, they have room to make deep cuts.  

If they reduce PPV prices or paid fighters more, how would Dana ever drop 50k on a hand of black jack? Think of Dana man, think of Dana.

Edited by StillUnknown

The official word is that production costs have risen, so the PPV price must as well. The realistic view is that UFC took a beating in PPV buys and overall revenue in 2014. Instead of making stronger cards, they're banking on having more PPV's at a higher cost to make up the difference.

This article really highlights just how bad 2014 was for them in terms of PPV buys:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/31/7952683/why-ufc-ppv-model-is-doomed-2014-ppv-buys-mma-stats

It's their own fault for having watered down PPV. I remember a time when nearly every card was incredible, now it's bogus. Ufc 100 was amazing. Edited by Taylor703

It's their own fault for having watered down PPV. I remember a time when nearly every card was incredible, now it's bogus. Ufc 100 was amazing.

This.

It seems like the UFC is banking that people will pay ridiculous amounts for a PPV fight, simply because it has one good fight as a huge main event, and regardless that all the other fights on the card are usually weak. Then it comes back to bite them in the butt when someone in the main event gets injured.

This.

It seems like the UFC is banking that people will pay ridiculous amounts for a PPV fight, simply because it has one good fight as a huge main event, and regardless that all the other fights on the card are usually weak. Then it comes back to bite them in the butt when someone in the main event gets injured.

Its funny because this is the very thing Dana & crew said contributed to boxing marginalizing itself.

Edited by StillUnknown

Its funny because this is the very thing Dana & crew said contributed to boxing marginalizing itself.

Please just don't tell me UFC gradually going down that road, and will end up just like boxing, with drama like Mayweather/Pacquaio.

Something is terribly wrong with a sport, where competitors (fighters, in this case) are the ones who are allowed to dictate if, when, how, and under what microscopic details a fight will take place.

Can you imagine what the UFC would be like, if it operated that way ?

It would mean we'd have to wait another 5 years, or more (or never) before we get to see Jon Jones and Rumble Johnson, while the 2 of them bicker about everything from the color of octagon mat, to the size of the seats their friends get to sit in at the venue, before they agree to fight.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Please just don't tell me UFC gradually going down that road, and will end up just like boxing, with drama like Mayweather/Pacquaio.

Something is terribly wrong with a sport, where competitors (fighters, in this case) are the ones who are allowed to dictate if, when, how, and under what microscopic details a fight will take place.

Can you imagine what the UFC would be like, if it operated that way ?

It would mean we'd have to wait another 5 years, or more (or never) before we get to see Jon Jones and Rumble Johnson, while the 2 of them bicker about everything from the color of octagon mat, to the size of the seats their friends get to sit in at the venue, before they agree to fight.

I doubt things could ever get that far in the UFC simply because they don't have to worry about cross-promotion, thats the biggest hang-up in Floyd/Pac not getting done. They're in the same sport, but not under the same promotional umbrella. The UFC doesn't co-promote. They will sooner buy out their competition before promoting with them.

On the other hand, I also doubt we'll ever see UFC fighter purses reaching the level of top boxers. Even if you ignore the astronomical amounts Floyd & Pac make, the other top draws in boxing (Canelo, Cotto, JCC Jr.) and even good fighters who don't draw well (Tim Bradely, Andre Ward, JMM, Berto, & countless others) make well over a million a fight.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

Whoa, this seems a little premature. Dana already trying to put on an interim title for Weidman's belt.

So, his rib injury must be more serious than previously thought ?

“Vitor Belfort and his wife are asking for an interim title fight. I pulled together this fight. I called Lyoto Machida; Lyoto Machida said, ‘send me the bout agreement.’ Called Vitor back; he didn’t think that was a great idea. So he’s gonna wait.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dana-white-confirms-vitor-belfort-shot-down-lyoto-065038716--mma.html

http://fansided.com/2015/02/03/anderson-silva-nick-diaz-fail-ufc-183-drug-tests/

Last weekend, UFC 183 took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, with Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz in the main event.

It was an exciting fight with Anderson Silva earning the unanimous decision victory, but now it may go down in the record books as a no contest — like it never even happened. All of this thanks to two failed drug tests.

According to Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports, Silva failed a pre-fight drug test on Jan. 9 for an anabolic steroid and Diaz failed a post-fight drug test because he was over the marijuana limit.

2015 off to such a great start..............

edit: on a different note, if fighters are caught pre-fight, why in the **** does the fight still happen? (besides the obvious $$$$ answer)

Edited by StillUnknown

Ugh, Silva and steroids. Smh. Nick smoking weed "is normal" and I don't give a crap tbh. Roids though, yikes. That opens a can of worms.

Yeah SU, Jones on coke, Silva on roids, Weidman hurt, Vitor not budging, Cruz got hurt either early this year or late last year. At least CM Punk is here to save us. :eyeroll:

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 1

on a different note, if fighters are caught pre-fight, why in the **** does the fight still happen? (besides the obvious $$$$ answer)

Sure sounds like grounds for a class-action lawsuit on behalf of PPV customers, live-event customers, or anyone who spent or lost money on the fight.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

We all should have known something was up. He's damn near 40 and recovered from that horrific leg injury in just a shade over a year and didn't look that far off from when he left.

Drug testing was a big part of the reason GSP got out when he did, he wanted stricter testing.  The fight commissions have always done a pretty horrible job when it comes to testing, in MMA & boxing. What's the point of pre-fight test if the results aren't revealed until after the fight takes place?

Fighter safety tho...........

I heard that he won't likely get more than 6  months...if anything.

Diaz might get more for the weed since its his 2nd or 3rd offense 

"The NSAC said results of the prefight test were not available until Tuesday morning, which is why the fight was not canceled."

This is just plain retarded and supremely greedy. I'm freaking angry right now. I paid $60 for that fight and I wasn't ripped off by Silva or Diaz. I was ripped off by the UFC, flat-out.

If this is their policy on testing, it's **** ing useless and it's absolutely DESIGNED to NOT cancel fights.  **** you, Fertittas and Dana.

"The NSAC said results of the prefight test were not available until Tuesday morning, which is why the fight was not canceled."

This is just plain retarded and supremely greedy. I'm freaking angry right now. I paid $60 for that fight and I wasn't ripped off by Silva or Diaz. I was ripped off by the UFC, flat-out.

If this is their policy on testing, it's **** ing useless and it's absolutely DESIGNED to NOT cancel fights.  **** you, Fertittas and Dana.

According this article: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/2/4/7980383/ufc-mma-nac-went-out-of-their-way-to-license-diaz-for-ufc-183-after-several-failed-drug-tests

Gracie says that Diaz failed several tests in the weeks leading up to the fight, until he was finally able to provide a clean sample, the one that was finally submitted last week for license approval. Bennett says the paperwork didn't even cross his desk until 3 days before the fight, adding,

Diaz wasn't even licensed until close to fight because he couldn't provide a clean urine sample. Gotta love the fact that just days before an event, he someone magically produced clean piss after not being able to provide it before.

• Like 1

Jumping the gun on Silva here, 1 SAMPLE of 1 test came back positive, happens all the time & subsequent test from the same sample can show they are clean. I'll give Andy the benefit of the doubt until it is proven without a doubt he used. Maybe I have too much faith in those other tests coming back clean, we'll see.

As for Diaz, that is such BS. A positive test for marijuana metabolites does not indicate "in competition" use. MM stay in a persons system for up to a month, & his readings would be high as a regular user. I just hope common sense prevails at Nick's disciplinary hearing & the NSAC realizes he did not break their rules regarding Marijuana use since the test results don't show the results they are looking for.

Essentially I view Jones & Diaz the same, each used a banned drug a month (maybe a week for Nick) out from the fight that had no effect on their performance in their fights.

If Nick gets any sort if punishment above what Jones gets-which looks like it will be nothing, NSAC is too worried about being sued- it will be a joke, coke is ok, weed is not when out of competition. But i bet they hang him, or even if they do agree the test doesn't prove in competition use- or that weed is not a PED- they still fine & suspend him.

UFC corrupt as hell. I don't care that Nick smoking weed, everyone already knows that, Silva testing positive for PED's is another thing entirely. Also, I read on sherdog that Nick test positive on a post fight test. Apparently strenuous activity can make some test positive because the metabolites are stored in the fat and the activity releases them.

• Like 1