Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

As a Shogun fan, I pray they give Machida the title shot.

Shogun does not need to take the kind of punishment Bones will put on him.

Yeah Rua is on the back nine for sure. He is so amazing that he was able to suck it up and get that KO but he was gassed after the 1st round. If he were facing someone more dangerous than Vera, I don't think he'd have pulled that out.

Machida is the marketable fight I think too.

In the first fight I felt Machida won the 1st round pretty decisively and was doing fine in round 2 until he got wrecked by the Bones elbow which led to the standing choke.

Shogun on the other hand, was wrecked by Bones, and ever since then he still looks like the same fighter, one who is still technically dangerous, but is very battle worn and gasses out way to fast for a 5 round fight.

You can tell his body is breaking down. He is nowhere near as fast and his technique fading faster each fight

His athleticism is breaking down 100x faster than his technique is. Shogun still throws some beautiful punches, but he's just too weak to keep up any kind of rhythm. It's like after 1 round, you start to see a shell of the real Shogun. It's been that way for a while now. His uppercuts were ridiculous tonight, his right hand was incredible to watch. The dude is just out of breath. What a great, great fighter. I feel for him, man. The dude needs to go train with the Diaz crew for a year. I think if he focused on cardio in an over-the-top manner, he'd become fearsome again.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Hopefully a lot of people were watching. Very good card, felt like the UFC and FOX gelled for once.

The prelims on Fuel were also good. I had my brother-in-law over and we were constantly yelling "WHOOOAAA" and "HE'S COMING BACK" throughout the evening. :)

Thank you Shogun for being a guaranteed barn burner type of fighter, and Vera for having the heart of a lion tonight. And Machida, for KO'ing people in awesome fashion. Looks like the UFC's approach is to put KO artists on FOX to attract the kids. Sport is on an upswing after tonight. Needed it, the move to FOX has been rocky.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Shogun is another example of a fighter that was so good in his early and mid 20's that it's frustrating so many of today's UFC fans didn't get to watch him in his prime.

It seems MMA fighters are starting to peak a lot early and then wane not to soon after. It's not like Shogun is "old" but you can tell he isn't the same fighter.

Shogun is another example of a fighter that was so good in his early and mid 20's that it's frustrating so many of today's UFC fans didn't get to watch him in his prime.

Well said. Mauricio was the Jon Jones of Pride. Came in young and wiped the slate clean of great fighters.

Edited by Chachie

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/8/5/3220937/rory-macdonald-withdraws-from-ufc-152-due-to-cut-wants-to-fight-b-j

A cut suffered in training has forced Rory MacDonald to pull out of his UFC 152 fight against B.J. Penn. UFC president Dana White announced the news following UFC on FOX 4 on Saturday night.

White said he found out the news during the Shogun Rua vs. Brandon Vera fight and had yet to talk to Penn about what he wanted to do next.

BJ just received a stay of execution.

Edited by StillUnknown

Thank you Shogun for being a guaranteed barn burner type of fighter, and Vera for having the heart of a lion tonight. And Machida, for KO'ing people in awesome fashion. Looks like the UFC's approach is to put KO artists on FOX to attract the kids. Sport is on an upswing after tonight. Needed it, the move to FOX has been rocky.

That's why Pat Barry still has a job. Notice how most of his fights are on the free cards.

---------- Post added August-6th-2012 at 11:11 AM ----------

The UFC also needs to do what it can to buy out the Strikeforce light heavyweight division from Showtime control. The Strikeforce LHW division is only 2 deep anyway with Mousasi and Feijao (assuming Kyle drops to MW). Furthermore, the UFC could use an infusion of new LHW prospects like OSP and Villante, given the current pool of top prospects in the UFC at LHW consists of just Gustafsson, Davis and a few others.

Perhaps, they can agree to send a few of their mid-tier lightweights, welterweights and middleweights to challenge Melendez, Marquardt, and Rockhold.

You can tell his body is breaking down. He is nowhere near as fast and his technique fading faster each fight.

Bones literally beat him into submission, he was then pounded on by Henderson and his H-Bomb for 25min. His body is done.

My guess is that he can't go hard in training. Otherwise, the potential is definitely there for another setback to his knees.

Some talk on different sites has Shogun & Lil Nog coaching the next installment of TUF: Brazil.

Shogun/Gustaffson makes more sense though.

Oh fudge, I forgot about the TUF: Brazil rumors. I just wonder who Gustafsson is going to face if it is not Shogun. Maybe Rashad if he does not move to 185?

That grass will make you crafty at the jiu jitsu. Eddie Bravo said on a Rogan podcast that he feels like he's ripping off his students if he isn't high during practice.

Pretty much any Nick Diaz fight, 'cept for the Condit fight, is a must-see.

He did have a dip in his career after that bout with Gomi.

He got a split decision against Mike Aina (who?), and I still contend Aina should have gotten the decision. Then he followed that one up by losing to Chachie's boy, KJ Noons.

I watched the BJ fight afterwords, and after the first round BJ had this constant "what the hell is wrong with this kid" look. Paul Daley and Gomi had the same look. Condit didn't though, it was like Condit knew "what was wrong with this kid" and took advantage of it.

I'm really intrigued to see the Bones Hendo fight. Bones seems to be growing better w/ each fight. Particularly the Michido fight. The craziest thing is Bones is basically just using his natural skill. I don't really see any skill when he fights. W/ that being said, its frightening to think how good he can be when all is said and done. I think he could be as celebrated as Silva. I don't think Hendo can win the fight out right because of age and battle wear. However I have zero doubt this will be Bones biggest test ever. I think he'll take a good pounding and get schooled well.

I'm really intrigued to see the Bones Hendo fight. Bones seems to be growing better w/ each fight. Particularly the Michido fight. The craziest thing is Bones is basically just using his natural skill. I don't really see any skill when he fights. W/ that being said, its frightening to think how good he can be when all is said and done. I think he could be as celebrated as Silva. I don't think Hendo can win the fight out right because of age and battle wear. However I have zero doubt this will be Bones biggest test ever. I think he'll take a good pounding and get schooled well.

I'm not sure how you can watch Bones, and not see skill. Particularly when you compare his standup technique in his first UFC fight against Gusmao to his fights against Shogun/Rampage/Rashad.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/8/3228510/nike-signs-ufc-champion-jon-jones-to-global-sponsorship-deal

Jon Jones is about to become the global face of mixed martial arts.

The UFC light heavyweight champion has signed a sweeping, worldwide sponsorship deal with sports apparel giant Nike, MMA Fighting has confirmed with multiple sources.

The two sides have agreed to a multi-year contract that will see Jones decked out in Nike gear for the foreseeable future. On Sept. 1, when he faces Dan Henderson at UFC 151, Jones will be rocking the famous "Swoosh."

As a part of the deal, Jones will be featured on worldwide Nike advertising and receive his own signature line, sources said. It is expected to be announced within a week.

When reached by phone, Jones' manager Malki Kawa declined comment while Jones did not immediately return a message left by MMA Fighting.

While a few international mixed martial artists including UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and popular Japanese fighter Yoshihiro Akiyama have inked deals with Nike subsidiaries in their respective countries, Jones' deal makes him the first to land a global pact.