Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Holy moly. I get the sick feeling I will see two of my all-time faves get retired... violently.

I think Shogun can stick around for 3 rounds with Gus. He might be begging for a third lung by the time the fight is done, but what a chin on that man. Same with BJ. Easy to see him getting through the fight. Whether he wins or loses is another story. I actually like BJ's chances. Rory has mechanical standup and seems to be preoccupied with the obsession of slamming people on their backs. If Stay Puft Penn can stay off his back early in the rounds, there's a decent chance of him derailing the train.

I think the worst beatdown is coming via Nate Diaz.

http://vigilantemma.com/2012/08/16/breaking-news-cerrone-vs-pettis-at-ufc-on-fox-5-will-be-for-next-ufc-title-shot/

We’ve heard rumors and speculation, but a source has just confirmed to VigilanteMMA that Donald Cerrone and Anthony Pettis will be added to UFC on Fox 5—and it will be a number one contender’s fight. Not only is this event shaping up to be one huge show, but the added stipulation should create quite a buzz for the latest fight being added to the card.

Pettis has been waiting for his title shot ever since he defeated Ben Henderson for the WEC title. But his hands will be full with Cowboy. Cerrone has run off six wins in seven UFC fights and like Pettis, tends to be a crowd pleaser every time out. This one is sure to fire up the fans.

The other three fights already announced for the show are a lightweight title fight between Henderson and Nate Diaz; Mauricio “Shogun” Rua vs. Alexander Gustafsson; and BJ Penn vs. Rory MacDonald. The title eliminator between Cerrone and Pettis could steal the show.

We’ve also learned that the contract is now in the hands of Pettis for final approval. Although he apparently hasn’t signed it yet, Cerrone has already started pressuring Pettis to do so in quick fashion. As Dana White hoped, the lightweight division is on fire right now, just days after the Henderson/Edgar fight ended the string of re-matches for the UFC belt.

If true, this makes the greatest UFC card of all time even better. What a show!

Edited by styx491

That certainly seems to be the popular opinion. I'm less convinced. I certainly don't see a reason why Diaz can't win but I think he'll deal with more trouble (especially early due to his penchant for being a slow starter) than most folks analyzing this matchup.

I do see your points on Rua and Penn being able to overcome their age to foil the young upstart opponents though.

http://www.bestfightodds.com/

Benson opened up a -340, its down to -210 now. I think it will be even money or Nate will be the slight favorite by the time the fight happens.

I think Penn is taking the worst beating in the matches listed. If BJ were "in-shape & motivated" he'd still have hard time beating Rory. Fat BJ is getting destroyed.

Edited by StillUnknown

I think Penn is taking the worst beating in the matches listed. If BJ were "in-shape & motivated" he'd still have hard time beating Rory. Fat BJ is getting destroyed.

I really don't understand why BJ continues to try convincing us all that he trains hard for fights. He could walk away retaining the ultimate respect of his fans and peers but instead chips away at his own legend by continuing his career. I think he wants that one final big victory to step away on. It's certainly not about the money because even the biggest MMA fighters don't get that much for one purse. Not like boxing, anyway.

http://www.bestfightodds.com/

Benson opened up a -340, its down to -210 now. I think it will be even money or Nate will be the slight favorite by the time the fight happens.

It's true, Rory is so strong at 170, and Penn should be at 155. You can see one of those situations where when Jon Jones gets on top of someone you know **** is about to get real. Rory starts posturing up on BJ and you might want to turn away, Chach.

I still give BJ a better than normal puncher's chance. In fact that term doesn't apply here. BJ's boxing is still a threat. Nick Diaz and Frankie Edgar are two of the best boxers in MMA, it's extremely easy to underrate BJ's boxing at this point. What really, really sucks, is that everything you can compliment BJ on has to be prefaced with "when he's not tired."

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Every time Jon Jones opens his mouth I hate him a little bit more.

"I don't want to fight Lyoto Machida. He was my lowest pay-per-view draw of last year. No one wants to see me fight Lyoto Machida. I don't want to fight Lyoto again. Lyoto is high risk and low reward. He's a tough fighter, but no one wants to buy that fight. Between (Mauricio) Shogun (Rua), (Quinton) Rampage (Jackson) and Rashad (Evans), Lyoto was my lowest draw. Why would I want to fight someone where it's a lose-lose situation? I won't make money on it. And he's a tricky fighter."

What a DBag

Every time Jon Jones opens his mouth I hate him a little bit more.

What a DBag

Kinda has a point though. There was no ambiguity about the first fight. Machida shouldn't get a shot just because FOX executives wanted the fights on their card to have something at stake. Machida's 2-3 in his last 5 fights, including just one fight removed from being choked unconscious by Bones, he has done nothing to earn a rematch.

Edited by StillUnknown

Kinda has a point though. There was no ambiguity about the first fight. Machida shouldn't get a shot just because FOX executives wanted the fights on their card to have something at stake. Machida's 2-3 in his last 5 fights, including just one fight removed from being choked unconscious by Bones, he has done nothing to earn a rematch.

He was the only guy to win a round against him. He get caught with a vicious elbow in the 2nd and then he was done. He is a former champ who was also considered unstoppable not that long ago. He deserves the shot as much as anyway. Couture domintaed Liddel in their first fight, but Chuck still got a rematch and he KO'd Randy in it. Rematches are part of your gig if you are on a championship run this days.

And to qoute his PPV numbers? Give me a break, Pretty Boy. Rashad was right. This drunk driving DBag is a phony.

He was the only guy to win a round against him. He get caught with a vicious elbow in the 2nd and then he was done. He is a former champ who was also considered unstoppable not that long ago. He deserves the shot as much as anyway. Couture domintaed Liddel in their first fight, but Chuck still got a rematch and he KO'd Randy in it. Rematches are part of your gig if you are on a championship run this days.

And to qoute his PPV numbers? Give me a break, Pretty Boy. Rashad was right. This drunk driving DBag is a phony.

I'm not debating Bones' personality as I do not care about it, i'm simply saying that a guy who gets choked unconscious by the champ should have to win more than 1 fight before he gets another crack at the belt.

Btw, other than Shogun, Machida would probably get the most ratings out of any rematch for Jones.

Who really wants to see him rematch Evans? Probably no one, that fight was boring as ****. Anyone care to see a rematch with Rampage? Doubt it. Bader? lol. Machida makes the most sense if they aren't giving Shogun a rematch.

I'm not debating Bones' personality as I do not care about it, i'm simply saying that a guy who gets choked unconscious by the champ should have to win more than 1 fight before he gets another crack at the belt.

That is how it works in a muddled division sometimes. Better than the champ just taking a 9-12 month break. And Machida may have only won once wince the loss, but he is a former champ. That counts for something.

Reading between the lines of Bones' quote I get that he basically admits he could lose to Machida and he doesn't want to risk a loss unless he can make a lot of money losing, which he says Machida would negate as a draw. Wow. I hope Hendo drops the nuke. (I sincerely doubt it, but I hope it happens.)

Edit- I also don't agree with Jones that there's a chance he could lose to Machida.

Edited by Chachie

Jones is a douche. I can understand him saying machida didn't earn a title shot but that's not what he said. He said he doesn't wanna fight Machida because there's no money in it. Jones isn't the draw he thinks he is IMO. Early estimates are saying UFC 150 did about 150k ppv. Frankie isn't a draw IMO either.