Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Sonnen is a damn puppet master

Guy gets embarrassed by Anderson in the rematch, now is probably looking at a title shot at 205 when he beats Forrest

I doubt it. Hopefully this was his only chance at getting a shot at that belt. Because he does not even remotely deserve anything close to a title shot.

I doubt it. Hopefully this was his only chance at getting a shot at that belt. Because he does not even remotely deserve anything close to a title shot.

Dana White: "Here's the thing, this guy stepped up when nobody else would. He likes to say all kind of crazy ****, but he backs it up. We like guys that like to fight"

It's sucks this got cancelled this soon, Jones has had a rough year

Luazon:

"Not only has this screwed over all the fans that bought tickets, non refundable airfare, took off work, made arrangements, etc... but think of all the fighters. Fighters that put in full camps, flew people in that helped them trains, etc. By the time I am actually fight, I spend close to 20k between corners, flights, expenses, coaches, etc... and then to have the whole show cancelled because ONE guy didn't want to fight. This ONE guy that had trained an entire camp, who was the CHAMP and at the top of his weight class, who was going to fight someone who didn't do the camp, and was fighting UP a weight class.

I have always been a big Jon Jones supporter... but I would be FURIOUS if this happenned to me and I was on the card. To call is scorched earth wouldn't do it justice. "

Honestly, THIS is what irks me more than anything, the fact that the rest of the card is **** out of luck now with a bunch of these fighters who have no idea when/where they'll be fighting next. JJ made a ridiculously selfish move there, even if he IS the champ and the young face of the UFC.

Also, just saw this on reddit :ols:

CLYsI.jpg

Edited by styx491

I do understand the argument that Chael and Dan have totally different stances and it is a completely different training camp and fight, stance wise. But Chael is still, as everyone is saying, an out of shape and unprepared fighter while JJ is top 3 pound for pound with a full training camp.

Now, JJ has to fight Machida most likely, which is a MUCH MUCH more dangerous fight for him, especially without a full training camp, while Machida was already thinking of and planning on fighting JJ after 151. If Jon loses against Machida, it's going to be a lot worse for him than if he lost against Gangster Chael, who most people would have called a showman anyways for coming up and "saving" the card.

Consensus on twitter is 99% hate for JJ, especially from his fellow UFC fighters (except for Ben Henderson, who made some dumbass comments), and ESPECIALLY from the undercard fighters who are now left with many bills to pay.

Jon Jones used to be a fighter who I supported, but not at all anymore, unless he releases a statement that convinces me otherwise, which I highly highly doubt. Chael appears to be more badass now, and basically talked his way into the fight. Sure he didn't earn it, but I'd LOVE to see the fight still, even if it's Jon Jones taking Chael to school with elbows and kicks. I'd expect Silva/Sonnen II all over again.

Edit: just saw Chael's interview on Sportscenter, I like him more now. He did kiss Dana's ass a little, but I like it when Chael speaks. I think he called JJ a brat about 6 times.

Edited by styx491

He's an amazing fighter who is making legends look like tomato cans, but I really wish somebody would knock Jon Jones out. I guess that makes me a hater but I simply never liked the way the guy came across. I can understand why he's uncomfortable changing fights. However, to not consider that many fighters depend on this card to make their daily bread is just so self-centered. It's not like the UFC threw Anderson Silva or Junior Dos Santos at him. It was Chael Freaking Sonnen.

Anyway, here we go again with The Dragon. Go, go, Lyoto!

Edited by Chachie

However, to not consider that many fighters depend on this card to make their daily bread is just so self-centered. It's not like the UFC threw Anderson Silva or Junior Dos Santos at him. It was Chael Freaking Sonnen.

IMO, the other fighters being out of a payday is more on Dana than anyone else. We have been saying for a while now that the cards have been watered down considerably, now he's paying for that sin. He can deflect the blame on Bones if he wants, but the fact that the rest of the card couldn't stand on its own is solely Dana's fault.

Its the same **** he criticized boxing about, centering the card around the main event and virtually ignoring the undercard. Jay Hieron should never be a PPV co-main event.

Edited by StillUnknown

The immediate thing that stands out matchup wise, is that Chael offers virtually no threat in finishing Jon Jones. Whereas Jon would most likely rough Chael up beyond recognition. However, Jackson has a very careful approach, whatever your opinion is towards it is another story. He wants to assess all of Chael's tools and weaknesses to come up with a formula for everything. Perhaps he felt Jon could be susceptible to the double leg, or maybe he smoked powerful hashish today.

Dana is trying to make Chael out to be a hero in this situation, but c'mon man. Of course Chael wants the shot, he wouldn't get it any other way. That was a gift, not a heroic act. "It's hard for me to do this Dana, but I'll fight Jon Jones if you absolutely need me to." Mhmm, more like - "**** YEAH I'll TAKE THAT FIGHT!" *starts beating off rapidly*

Beat Brian Stann, lose to Bisping (yes he lost), get torched by the champ in a lighter division = fight for the LHW strap. Next up, Chael vs. GSP. Then after that, it's off to face The Rock at Wrestlemania. So what do you guys think, does Chael's trash talking help him get anywhere in this business? Jesus H. Christ.

It's more drama that I'm just going to ignore. It's one fight, there will be thousands of other great matchups. Jones vs. Machida 2 is a few weeks away, hell yeah. In the coming months, fighters being dispersed off of UFC 151 will strengthen other cards.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

221994_10151172725701276_210321806_n.jpg

Just popped up on fb through the UFC page.

ALSO:

Greg Jackson Responds To Dana White's Words

While UFC president Dana White was tossing several expletives at MMA trainer Greg Jackson during a special conference call on Thursday, Jackson was doing his best to defend himself on The MMA Show with Mauro Ranallo.

White took issue with Jackson telling UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones to turn down a fight with Chael Sonnen at UFC 151 after Dan Henderson was forced to pull out with a knee injury. Jackson explained his decision process on the radio show.

"I was asked if it was smart to take a fight on three days (due to media obligations and weight cutting) notice, and I didn't think it's smart to do that," Jackson said (thanks to Bloody Elbow for transcribing). "Three days to fight a guy that caliber (of Sonnen) is not a smart thing to do. I'm not trying to ruin the sport or cancel an event. I don't know about that stuff, but I thought it wasn't a wise course of action."

Sonnen was willing to accept the fight, and the UFC started to put together new commercials on Wednesday evening. White, however, said he found out early Thursday that Jones has declined the fight. Instead, Jones will face Lyoto Machida on September 22 at the new UFC 151: Jones vs. Machida II card in Toronto.

Jackson said he was confused by White's words, adding, "I really like Dana and respect him....there is no ill feelings. I'm more confused than anything else. I didn't know they had (the entire card) riding on one fight. It's one of those things. As a trainer, I'll give you my opinion. I'm not a yes man. I do what's best for my guy."

Edited by styx491

In defense of Jones and Jackson, Sonnen IS a completely different type of challenge than facing Hendo and would be tough to plan for on such short notice. But cmon man, everyone wanted to see something and people definitely would have still tuned in for that show. Bummed we wont get to see this card.

This one is on Dana. The rest of the card was pretty bad. It's funny but these days I'd rather watch a Strikeforce card than a UFC PPV - Strikeforce really does the most with what it has. You can argue that it is because they have 8-10 events a year but, in that case, cut the PPV cards by 25% and load the cards up. If Dana doesn't feel it is because the 250 fighters on his roster are not getting enough fights, then reduce the roster as well. Keep around less of these low-level prelim gatekeepers like Riki Fukuda and Leonard Garcia.

Every PPV card should have the main 3 fights feature top 12 fighters (in their divisions) squaring off against each other. It is a good thing 151 got cancelled. Now, the fans will get more of their money's worth for 152.

Edited by method man

Its the same **** he criticized boxing about, centering the card around the main event and virtually ignoring the undercard. Jay Hieron should never be a PPV co-main event.

Well, this does not mean much, but Hieron was not supposed to be in that spot, it was supposed to be Koscheck. Koscheck-Ellenberger is not a main event caliber fight, but it is a damn good fight. And light years better than Ellenberger-Hieron.

Chael is a freaking master, hats off to him. Dana helped by throwing jones & Jackson under the bus, but the guy has talked himself into a fight with another title holder. I phrase it like that since I think the will fight after lyoto &maybe hendo fight him, but I think it will be a non-title fight.

Does Chael deserve it? Hell no! Even with 2 wins at 205, not even 3 since the first one would be Forrest, but he will fight jones. He comes out talking and sets the narrative, jones is spoiled, undercard fighters & team will go hungry, I offered my purse, he's scared to fight me, he only has 8 days but had a camp while i have 8 days and no camp, our troops don't get 8 days and the circumstances here dictate you take the fight are all different concepts a whole bunch of people can grab onto and agree with. He is getting public support from a whole bunch of people agreeing with anything he said, even if they dont think he deserves a shot, just by agreeing with him makes his case for a shot stronger in Dana's eyes.

Dana should not even be dealing with Sonnen on a moral and fighter safety basis, for his TRT use & suspension and his conviction in a fraud case, but he plays to him because he sells. It is dana's fault the card was cancelled because the PPV cards have been crap since Fox, a card 2 years ago could lose a title fight & still go on, but not this piece of garbage. I was not going to buy, maybe watch at a bar but the card was not worth the $ even with Jones. Dana didn't even have to call it a cancelation, he could have called said he postponed the card like he did for the one in Montreal or even try to slide a fight from 152 over, like the other title fight it Stann Bisping. I guarantee they will return to Mandalay Bay quicker than the postponed show in Montreal (march to November) but it is easier to blame jones and has more potential to sell a fight with Chael when bones was quickly running out if opponents at 205. I don't know if Dana is that smart of a promoter to think of it, or he just got lucky on this one, now jones Sonnen is a much bigger draw than any other fight jones could have in the next 6 months to a year, even the hendo fight.

Jones is only making it worse by not saying something sooner, now he's in a hole only a very charismatic and skilled PR person could dig out of, and we all know he is not that type of person. With so many points to refute, you know he will stumble on at least one of them and say something really dumb. Or he gets a PR firm to craft a statement that he reads and comes off as prepared, insincere and self serving. Either way, Chael keeps the upper hand in public support, people are rooting for him now like they did for Silva 1, as the man who will step up and fight the self entitled champ who doesn't want to fight, and he's doing it for all the fans jones screwed over by being selfish & disrespectful.

Genius move by Chael, but at the same time that move and Dana's comments kind of make me sick that they can get away with this kind of crap. Since i already got tickets to 152, I won't buy that PPV even though I think it's good, but now with this and the overall weak quality of the PPV cards recently, I don't see myself ever buying another one unless it is an Anderson Silva fight.

Edited by artmonkforHOF

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/24/3264645/jones-vs-belfort-to-headline-ufc-152-after-lyoto-machida-turns-down

Jon Jones will not be facing Lyoto Machida at UFC 152 after all.

Instead, Vitor Belfort will fight Jones for the UFC light heavyweight title on Sept. 22 in Toronto. UFC president Dana White confirmed the change late Thursday night.

According to White, Machida turned down the title shot on Thursday. Belfort volunteered to fight Jones on one month's notice and was granted the title shot by the promotion.

You can't make this **** up :ols:

It ain't over, posted 14 min ago:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/24/3264668/anderson-silva-offered-to-save-ufc-151

Anderson Silva was close to saving UFC 151.

According to UFC president Dana White, Silva, the middleweight champion, personally called him just moments after he announced on Thursday that UFC 151 was canceled after Jon Jones turned down a fight against Chael Sonnen. Silva, who admitted he wasn't in the best shape, volunteered to fight on eight days' notice in Las Vegas against another light heavyweight fighter. Unfortunately, he was a few hours late as the promotion had already decided to scrap the event.

White said he never expected Silva to offer his services to fight Jones and appreciated the call.

Dana says Anderson offered to step in against Jones.

I think that's something you'd want to hype for more than a week, but hell, put that together NEXT please.

Anderson has been pretty consistent saying he doesn't want to fight Bones, kinda strange he would switch up on 8 days notice

---------- Post added August-24th-2012 at 01:48 AM ----------

Ariel HelwaniVerified

‏@arielhelwani

Correct. I fixed the typo. RT @GenoMrosko: @arielhelwani To confirm: Silva offered to fight another light heavyweight but not Jon Jones?

that makes more sense

Edited by StillUnknown