Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Cool vid, SU. Love when you post their vids.

Anderson.

Rick Dempsey.

63 yard toe kick for the win. I mean c'mon. That seemed unfair. I used to not want to see GSP vs. Silva. But now, I'm starting to lean towards it. It has Ali/Frazier Trilogy written all over it. Forget your bias towards either fighter, and think of the sport. Think of the hype that would generate. Please beat Shields, Mr. St. Pierre.

I used to summarize that matchup as "Anderson is too big for GSP", and it seems VERY true if you were to stand them next to each other. But let's look at the attributes. Anderson, takedown defense, not much of it. GSP, takedown cyborg. Anderson, Gumby with a sniper rifle. GSP, takedown cyborg. Size difference, yeah, but there's no secret on how GSP could win the fight.

Anderson would obviously and truly hurt GSP if he were to land a strike to his face, but don't be surprised if GSP gives him a sum total of 3 minutes to pull that off throughout the fight. As a GSP or Silva fan, you're excited about this fight, as an MMA fan, you're busting out the vuvuzelas.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

So I take it I'm the only guy on the planet rooting for Shields?

Anderson needs to move up to 205 and fight the winner of Jones-Shogun. I'd be much more excited about that than GSP-Anderson. I've detailed it too many times to rehash,

And if they give GSP that fight in Canada I'm calling Shenanigans.

I did'nt think Vitor had a chance honestly said it a few pages back. This was a perfect style fight for Anderson in that Vitor is notoriously aggressive playing right into Silva's counter striking. I think the kick just surprised Vitor but he woulda been ko'd anyway.

I dont know about that...the Vitor of the past has been super aggressive after his first UFC run, then fighting in Pride, and Affliction and his FIght with Rich he was always counter striking to aviod the take down....his fight with Hendo in Pride was horrible they litterally stared at each other for three minuets.

I would like to see them fight again, cause while the kick was awesome it was kinda like the Gonzaga head kick on Cro Cop no one expected it and no one expected it to KO him....I have seen that kick used in competition (Kick Boxing mostly) and never seen it KO anyone until last nite. Sadly though this is the kinda of fight that will make Vitor go crazy, and lose his confidence just like after Chuck beat him. After that he fought like **** for a few years.

It's not fair that Anderson Silva fights in the Matrix while all of his opponents are restricted by such things as physics and reality. This guy is the king, and for all that rag on the guy for a couple of "poor" fights, well each time there was another guy in that ring who should share as much of the blame if not all of it for making them bad fights. It is clear that even the top of the UFC Middleweight cannot compete with Silva, so he should move up but he has too many friends/training partners at 205 which he said he would never fight. He did not move up to LHW earlier because he said he would never fight Machida. Now that Machida no longer has the belt, this may happen, but don't expect Silva to go through 3 or 4 guys before the title fight, he has already proven he can handle the LHW's with his few wins in the UFC. I can see him taking 1 fight vs the top contender then the title fight.

GSP will get destroyed if he fights Silva. Sure he is the king of take downs, but try and get close on Silva, he will make you pay. The only guy to have any success was Sonnen, who on roids barely took down Silva who had a cracked rib. GSP can take Silva to the ground, but Silva can beat anyone on the ground from any position, one mistake by GSP, even if he has Silva pinned to the matt, and the fight is over. I want GSP to win vs Shields just so this match can happen, and I am a bigger fan of Shields than I am of boring GSP and his 5 rounds of laying on top of people.

I am calling GSP will not make it out of the second round in a fight with Silva. GSP's stellar run would come to a crashing end, and Dana will be scrambling to find a headliner for all of his future Canadian dates.

It's not fair that Anderson Silva fights in the Matrix while all of his opponents are restricted by such things as physics and reality. This guy is the king, and for all that rag on the guy for a couple of "poor" fights, well each time there was another guy in that ring who should share as much of the blame if not all of it for making them bad fights. It is clear that even the top of the UFC Middleweight cannot compete with Silva, so he should move up but he has too many friends/training partners at 205 which he said he would never fight. He did not move up to LHW earlier because he said he would never fight Machida. Now that Machida no longer has the belt, this may happen, but don't expect Silva to go through 3 or 4 guys before the title fight, he has already proven he can handle the LHW's with his few wins in the UFC. I can see him taking 1 fight vs the top contender then the title fight.

GSP will get destroyed if he fights Silva. Sure he is the king of take downs, but try and get close on Silva, he will make you pay. The only guy to have any success was Sonnen, who on roids barely took down Silva who had a cracked rib. GSP can take Silva to the ground, but Silva can beat anyone on the ground from any position, one mistake by GSP, even if he has Silva pinned to the matt, and the fight is over. I want GSP to win vs Shields just so this match can happen, and I am a bigger fan of Shields than I am of boring GSP and his 5 rounds of laying on top of people.

I am calling GSP will not make it out of the second round in a fight with Silva. GSP's stellar run would come to a crashing end, and Dana will be scrambling to find a headliner for all of his future Canadian dates.

Sonnen beat him striking in that fight as well. Anderson got beat everywhere and was on his back every round. Sonnen has always had suspect submission defense. Travis Lutter was mauling him as well had him fully mounted, Marquart had him on his back. And Jake Shields has 0 standup so how can he be less boring then GSP. GSP will standup and KO Shields because he fights to win and Greg Jackson puts together great gameplans. Shields BJJ is better then Silva but GSP knows he strikes like a girl literally so why take the chance.

Nobody will beat Anderson standing up for 5 rounds in my opinion. But I do think GSP can standup with him at times and do very well striking. I think the Serra fight where he clearly got clipped on the ear messing up his equal liberum has made people think he has some terrible chin. GSP is the best control wrestler in MMA period. Florian said he already walks around at 195lbs which is a decent sized middleweight already without putting on weight. Greg Jackson has said nobody in his camp can stop GSP from taking them down not Rashad, not Bones,not Marquart none of them. Rashad has said its like being put in vice grips he is so strong.

Knowing all this and how powerful GSP shots are, how and the holy heck do you expect Silva to keep it standing?

Silva has to win this fight by KO early. And this is'nt even taking into account the type of wear and tear and pace GSP is gonna force on him with his cardio and constantly trying to defend takedowns. We have seen Anderson slow down later in his fights.

I don't care if Anderson comes into that fight at 210lbs and GSP is 171lbs he will take him down regardless of any weight or height difference people make to big a deal about that.

Sonnen beat him striking in that fight as well. Anderson got beat everywhere and was on his back every round. Sonnen has always had suspect submission defense. Travis Lutter was mauling him as well had him fully mounted, Marquart had him on his back. And Jake Shields has 0 standup so how can he be less boring then GSP. GSP will standup and KO Shields because he fights to win and Greg Jackson puts together great gameplans. Shields BJJ is better then Silva but GSP knows he strikes like a girl literally so why take the chance.

Nobody will beat Anderson standing up for 5 rounds in my opinion. But I do think GSP can standup with him at times and do very well striking. I think the Serra fight where he clearly got clipped on the ear messing up his equal liberum has made people think he has some terrible chin. GSP is the best control wrestler in MMA period. Florian said he already walks around at 195lbs which is a decent sized middleweight already without putting on weight. Greg Jackson has said nobody in his camp can stop GSP from taking them down not Rashad, not Bones,not Marquart none of them. Rashad has said its like being put in vice grips he is so strong.

Knowing all this and how powerful GSP shots are, how and the holy heck do you expect Silva to keep it standing?

Silva has to win this fight by KO early. And this is'nt even taking into account the type of wear and tear and pace GSP is gonna force on him with his cardio and constantly trying to defend takedowns. We have seen Anderson slow down later in his fights.

I don't care if Anderson comes into that fight at 210lbs and GSP is 171lbs he will take him down regardless of any weight or height difference people make to big a deal about that.

One problem with your GSP will take down Silva theory: he has to get to Silva first. Yeah Sonnen got in there and took him down, but Anderson did not want to strike in that fight, he wanted to beat him with BJJ after Chael's Nogueria bros comment, so the idea that the Silva GSP fight will look like the Silva Sonnen fight with a better wrestler is mistaken, Silva will know that is what GSP will try and do and will counter. I predict Anderson will deliver the most devastating knockout blow to GSP as he is trying for a takedown, the kind of KO that people will not see coming. Silva will prevent it from going to the ground as much as possible, but even if he gets taken down, it's not like fighting off of his back is a problem for him. Even with having Sonnen on top of him for 5 rounds, he still had an over 63% striking defense, had Sonnen had any other fighter in that position for that long, they would be a bloddy mess with all the strikes he would have landed, but Silva can defend and attack from his back better than anyone on the planet. How does Sonnen lay on a man for 5 rounds and his face is the one that looked like he got bullied? GSP cannot and will not submit Silva, the only chance GSP has is to win 5 rounds of wrestling, and even that is not a sure thing.

Freddie Roach's jab-as much as I love that guy- will provide no help for GSP, too much movement from Silva to be caught with such a simple punch (Koscheck, on the other hand, kept walking into it). All I can say about Silva is that you know you are watching greatness when a guy makes fighting look so easy. GSP is a grinder and I respect him for that, but Silva is just a pure natural.

Anderson needs to move up to 205 and fight the winner of Jones-Shogun

I'd rather see that, as well. Still, GSP vs. Anderson is the biggest-named fight you can get in the sport. If we want to stop saying "fastest growing sport in the world" any time in the next 200 years, fights like this need to happen. It will be one of the biggest sports in the world if fights like this are put together. Especially before a "Werdum" happens to either of them.

Cracks me up how people think the only reason Sonnen beat Silva for 23 minutes was because of steroids. Do you really think it gave him that much of advantage?

No, but combine that with the fact that Silva had a cracked rib and wanted to prove a point by beating Sonnen with BJJ, and you get what idiot fight fans think is the closest thing to a challenge for Anderson Silva. Sonnen is not that good of a fighter, if he was any good at all he would have been able to land one of the thousand or so shots he tried to take at Anderson while he was on top of him. Like most Silva opponents, he got frustrated with the fact he could not strike cleaning, so he resorted to playing patty cake on Silva's face. Look what that got him, 23 minutes of top position and a tap out, thanks for coming.

After seeing what Silva did to Belfort, do you really think he could not have made a similar striking move on Sonnen? He chose not to. I don't get why people hate Silva so much, like I said before, you cannot blame him alone for some boring fights, there was another fighter in that octagon that decided not to engage Anderson, and if you don't like how he danced around the ring, I consider that a slight on the other fighter, who when given a golden opportunity to take a shot at the champ, does not jump on it.

What cracks me up is people who think Sonnen, or any other wrestler for that matter, pose a problem to Silva. He has only submitted some of the best wrestlers and BJJ guys in MMA like Henderson, Lutter and Sonnen. When you beat the best at their own game, then I think that usually means you are better than them. I only see 2 guys who might stand a chance of beating Silva: Jon Jones and he still needs some time to improve or Alistair Overeem if he ever came back down to LHW. Jones needs at least 4 more fights or 2 years of training before he can even think of stepping into the ring with Anderson, and Overeem is just as much of a freak as Anderson, but due to weight and contracts, this one probably will never happen.

After seeing what Silva did to Belfort, do you really think he could not have made a similar striking move on Sonnen? He chose not to. I don't get why people hate Silva so much, like I said before, you cannot blame him alone for some boring fights, there was another fighter in that octagon that decided not to engage Anderson, and if you don't like how he danced around the ring, I consider that a slight on the other fighter, who when given a golden opportunity to take a shot at the champ, does not jump on it.

Anderson has earned some of that hate. Anderson is one of my favorite fighters, but he's brought alot of that on himself. its one thing to be a counter striker and wait for your opponent, its another thing completely when you start to clown around like he did in the Maia & Leites fights. thats where the hate comes from.

if he's good enough to clown his opponent, he's good enough against that opponent to break from his conventional role as a counter striker and become to the aggressor to end the fight

No, but combine that with the fact that Silva had a cracked rib and wanted to prove a point by beating Sonnen with BJJ

Then why did Anderson land that ridiculous kick and elbow in the 4th? They had KO intentions written all over them. Let's not pretend Anderson dictated where that fight took place. I'm sure he wanted to win any way possible, especially the deeper the fight got.

and you get what idiot fight fans think is the closest thing to a challenge for Anderson Silva.

The Sonnen fight seemed challenging to me.

Sonnen is not that good of a fighter, if he was any good at all he would have been able to land one of the thousand or so shots he tried to take at Anderson while he was on top of him.

Sonnen did land while on top, hell, he landed more on the feet than Anderson! Didn't Sonnen get close to a record for most strikes landed in a fight? It sounds to me like you're ignoring what happened because Sonnen didn't knock him out.

Are you suggesting Anderson planned that whole Sonnen scenario out? A last-minute triangle, after getting dropped and swamped the entire fight? With the belt and winning streak on the line? Like Albert Puljols not swinging at anything for an entire World Series game, only to swing at the last pitch and get a walk off homer. Mhmm, believable...

Like most Silva opponents, he got frustrated with the fact he could not strike cleaning, so he resorted to playing patty cake on Silva's face.

What opponents of Silva played patty cake on his face? Sonnen, Lutter for a moment...not sure where you're going with this. Sonnen had some nice moments of ground and pound for sure, and he definitely hit Anderson cleanly on the feet.

After seeing what Silva did to Belfort, do you really think he could not have made a similar striking move on Sonnen? He chose not to.

Please. As arrogant as Silva has seemed in the octagon before, he definitely tried to land on Sonnen. Sonnen came foward right away, in every round. He didn't stand in field goal kicking distance like Belfort did. Vitor's head was like a baseball on a tee for Anderson. Sonnen gave Anderson about one chance every round to land something. Big difference in approach between Sonnen and Belfort.

I don't get why people hate Silva so much, like I said before, you cannot blame him alone for some boring fights, there was another fighter in that octagon that decided not to engage Anderson, and if you don't like how he danced around the ring, I consider that a slight on the other fighter, who when given a golden opportunity to take a shot at the champ, does not jump on it.

Don't hate Anderson, just won't order a card he's on anymore. You can blame Leites, Maia, Cote, but the X factor in the equation is Anderson Silva. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times, I'm using TVUplayer.

What cracks me up is people who think Sonnen, or any other wrestler for that matter, pose a problem to Silva. He has only submitted some of the best wrestlers and BJJ guys in MMA like Henderson, Lutter and Sonnen. When you beat the best at their own game, then I think that usually means you are better than them.

They didn't get beat at their own games, they are wrestlers, he beat them with BJJ. Henderson got rocked and subbed for the finish, and he's been subbed plenty of times in his career. Sonnen has a sign that says (please triangle me) on his forehead. All top level fighters pose problems to each other.

Alistair Overeem if he ever came back down to LHW

Something tells me he won't.

Jones needs at least 4 more fights or 2 years of training before he can even think of stepping into the ring with Anderson, and Overeem is just as much of a freak as Anderson, but due to weight and contracts, this one probably will never happen.

I don't know, one thing we didn't get to see this past Saturday was Jones throwing his murderous elbows. If HE gets Anderson down, WOAH. Woah.

No, but combine that with the fact that Silva had a cracked rib and wanted to prove a point by beating Sonnen with BJJ, and you get what idiot fight fans think is the closest thing to a challenge for Anderson Silva. Sonnen is not that good of a fighter, if he was any good at all he would have been able to land one of the thousand or so shots he tried to take at Anderson while he was on top of him. Like most Silva opponents, he got frustrated with the fact he could not strike cleaning, so he resorted to playing patty cake on Silva's face. Look what that got him, 23 minutes of top position and a tap out, thanks for coming.

What cracks me up is people who think Sonnen, or any other wrestler for that matter, pose a problem to Silva. He has only submitted some of the best wrestlers and BJJ guys in MMA like Henderson, Lutter and Sonnen. When you beat the best at their own game, then I think that usually means you are better than them. I only see 2 guys who might stand a chance of beating Silva: Jon Jones and he still needs some time to improve or Alistair Overeem if he ever came back down to LHW. Jones needs at least 4 more fights or 2 years of training before he can even think of stepping into the ring with Anderson, and Overeem is just as much of a freak as Anderson, but due to weight and contracts, this one probably will never happen.

Was he really hurt? How many fighters have gotten their asses handed to them and suddenly it's "well I was fighting hurt". Come on dude, show me where in that fight that his rib was keeping him from being this super duper spectacular ass kicking figthing machine that you seem to think he is. He's bad ass, obviously, but the dude has struggled with pure wrestlers, Lutter, Hendo had him on his back in the first round and Sonnen. That's the only pure wrestlers he's really fault.

Besides, IMO, he's still not the best P4P fighter like the UFC keeps touting him to be. That crown still belongs to Fedor until someone beats his ass. How long was Fedor undefeated?

Lets be real nobody Anderson has fought in the UFC has the ability of GSP. I like both fighters alot 2 of my favorites but its a terrible style fight for Silva it will be a worse repeat of the Sonnen fight except GSP will mark up his face and have him gassed while finishing the 5 round decision victory. I would'nt be shocked if GSP finished him late in the fight.

Its like the Shields fight its a terrible style fight. Shields BJJ is straight nasty but do you think GSP will take him down?

Do you actually think Shields can take him down?

Not a chance of either GSP will KO him because Shields strikes like a girl. GSP gameplans to win fights whether its boring or not its smart.

Edited by Samuels

Its like the Shields fight its a terrible style fight. Shields BJJ is straight nasty but do you think GSP will take him down?

Do you actually think Shields can take him down?

Not a chance of either GSP will KO him because Shields strikes like a girl. GSP gameplans to win fights whether its boring or not its smart.

How many people thought Shields could take Hendo down at will? He did. And Hendo has a great wrestling pedigree, and is much bigger than GSP to boot.

How many people thought Shields could take Hendo down at will? He did. And Hendo has a great wrestling pedigree, and is much bigger than GSP to boot.

I love Henderson but its a different type of athlete from GSP and Hendo looked extremely outta shape in that fight I think the cut affected him. Not only that but he could'nt finish a clearly gassed Hendo, could'nt finish Jason Miller, and struggled bigtime looking horrible againest Martin Kampmann, honestly Kampmann was stuffing his takedown rather easily.

Is Henderson really bigger then GSP he weighs in under 205 for all his fights there and has said he walks around about 200lbs. While GSP walks around and trains at 195lbs and i'd be willing to bet GSP is a hellva alot stronger then Hendo. GSP looks drained to me at 170lbs and honestly I feel he is a true 185lber and will be even more dynamic there whether he fights Anderson or not. Listening to Florian he said GSP plans to move to 185lbs permantely and put on another 15lbs to get up around 210lbs.

Sonnen outstruck Silva in volume only, but all you have to do is look at both faces post-fight, and see who took more punishment. Silva barely looked like he was in a fight, and Sonnen was busted up, bruised and bloody. This is what happens when you take Silva down, and don't make something happen fast, you will be taking lots of abuse from Silva, even if Silva is on his back. As far as Silva's torn muscle in the Sonnen fight, if you listen to the commentary, you clearly hear Rogan and Goldberg bring up the fact that Silva is not moving like usual, looking tentative. This was before anyone even knew about the injury.

Takedowns are fastly becoming the most overrated move in all of MMA, because people pretty much are ignoring what happens after the takedown, it is just "oh wow he took him down....he is dominating" You are already seeing fighters try to get a meaningless takedown with :10 left in a round because of how the judges score a takedown, regardless if the fighter can do absolutely nothing once he takes his opponent down.

BJJ black belts spend at least 75% of their training on working from their backs. It isn't surprising to see at least 50% of subs take place when the BJJ guy is working off their back. There is a reason for this. If anything it is the shorter rounds that help wrestlers, because in theory it is easy to take someone down, and hold them down giving off the "dominating" position, than it is to try and sub someone in the same amount of time. I think we would see more subs if wrestlers had to try and pull the same strategy off in a 10 minute round.

GSP is not going to outstrike Silva. His strategy is going to be to close the distance and go for take downs. Or he can try jabbing again, but this time the reach difference is going to be pretty huge. If GSP takes Silva down, he is going to be trying to control a guy that is much bigger, naturally strong, and a wizard at BJJ. People really underrate Silva's ground game, merely because he finishes most of his fights with a devastating KO.

Sonnen outstruck Silva in volume only, but all you have to do is look at both faces post-fight, and see who took more punishment. Silva barely looked like he was in a fight, and Sonnen was busted up, bruised and bloody. This is what happens when you take Silva down, and don't make something happen fast, you will be taking lots of abuse from Silva, even if Silva is on his back. As far as Silva's torn muscle in the Sonnen fight, if you listen to the commentary, you clearly hear Rogan and Goldberg bring up the fact that Silva is not moving like usual, looking tentative. This was before anyone even knew about the injury.

Takedowns are fastly becoming the most overrated move in all of MMA, because people pretty much are ignoring what happens after the takedown, it is just "oh wow he took him down....he is dominating" You are already seeing fighters try to get a meaningless takedown with :10 left in a round because of how the judges score a takedown, regardless if the fighter can do absolutely nothing once he takes his opponent down.

BJJ black belts spend at least 75% of their training on working from their backs. It isn't surprising to see at least 50% of subs take place when the BJJ guy is working off their back. There is a reason for this. If anything it is the shorter rounds that help wrestlers, because in theory it is easy to take someone down, and hold them down giving off the "dominating" position, than it is to try and sub someone in the same amount of time. I think we would see more subs if wrestlers had to try and pull the same strategy off in a 10 minute round.

GSP is not going to outstrike Silva. His strategy is going to be to close the distance and go for take downs. Or he can try jabbing again, but this time the reach difference is going to be pretty huge. If GSP takes Silva down, he is going to be trying to control a guy that is much bigger, naturally strong, and a wizard at BJJ. People really underrate Silva's ground game, merely because he finishes most of his fights with a devastating KO.

Not going to argue with much of what you said but as much as you think those of us in the GSP corner are over estimating him, I think you're highly understimating several key facts.

You're underestimating how dominant wrestling is in MMA. You're also underestimating what Silva did from his back. He's a BJJ wizard, gotcha, unfortunately until he pulled the sub he did little to work a sub before that. He was completely owned on the ground, damage doesn't matter if you've been completely controlled the entire fight. You keep using Sonnen's face compared to Silva's, so are you trying to say if Silva didn't pull out the triangle he would have won because Sonnen looked more beat up? Seriously? End the fight right before the sub and Sonnen wins the fight 50/45. There's no denying that.

Wrestling nulifies Silva's strengths. No one is arguing his ability to strike, kick, move and avoid damage. Take him down, all of this goes away. So what's left? He's long, he has great BJJ. Okay, but that's not where he's comfortable. If he was so comfortable there, why in the hell would he continuously avoid the ground against guys like Maia? If his BJJ is so great, why not wade into Maia's world? People say the boring fights are as much about the opponent as it is about Silva, true. But if he's such a GREAT well rounded fighter why not put that on display instead of dancing around the ring like a freaking idiot?

GSP IMO is a much more well rounded fighter, period! Not saying he's necessarily a BETTER fighter than Silva, just more well rounded MMA fighter. I think GSP is a bad matchup for Silva and has a better chance than anyone at 185 to beat him. GSP walks away with it, beats him easily? Absolutely not! Silva wins easily, absolutely not! Guarantee you Silva has not fought a more well prepared, well trained, well rounded or disciplined fighter than GSP.

Finally, cardio! GSP hands down, walking away, 10 out of 10 fights. The way GSP grinds on people, I think cardio would be the determining factor in the end.