Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Except Wandy is 8 years younger than Chuck, only one year older than Rampage, and two years younger than his next opponent, Rich Franklin. I am not counting him out just yet. The thing about Wanderlie is that he knows what the crowd likes about him, and he loves to give it to him. That is probably his biggest flaw. But he trains like crazy and has great BJJ so he has a lot of victories left in this sport. He can knock anyone out on any night, and vice versa.

The bad thing is he looks about as old as Chuck from all of the hardcore knockouts and beatings he's been through.

My friend has some old videos of a 20 and 21 year old Wandy fighting in the Brazilian Vale Tudo tournaments. Brutal stuff. No gloves, headbutts, everything.

Yeah but Wanderlei was always just kind of a wild striker. I think he looked more technical and methodical in his prime days in Pride because of some of the ****ty competition.

That's a good point, although what comes to mind right away is how he manhandled Rampage with the thai clinch. It's almost like he welcomes being KO'd now, he'll take one for the fans. Even against ****ty competition he would kick, go to the ground and lock up on the feet. Now it's just a homerun derby with the fists, which will certainly please the crowd, but I think the potential is there for him having more than a puncher's chance.

Like Sebowski said, he isn't that old by any means. However he's been getting shut off lately and got beat up by Chuck, which will quickly add a few years to you. He's ignoring tools in his toolbox, when right now is the time to start using them.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

He's ignoring tools in his toolbox, when right now is the time to start using them.

Exactly. He has a lot of tools on the feet and on the ground. And although he never utilized his BJJ black belt, this is the perfect time to start mixing things up. He needs to use his ground game and all of his Muay Thai tools.

Fighters are more well-rounded than ever and if you're an experienced fighter in your early 30s like Wanderlei, reinventing yourself is the only way that you're going to be successful again. His last few fights he's just come in swinging wild hooks, it worked on Jardine but not on Rampage.

It's the same story with Chuck. He could've saved his career by reinventing himself but he's been very stubborn and won't change his style and that's asking to lose in today's MMA world.

Look at his fight with Wanderlei, he used kicks, spinning backfists, and offensive wrestling plus his normal standup and he totally kicked Wanderlei's ass.

IMO, if he wants to get back in the ring he'd better reinvent himself. John Hackleman didn't make Chuck Liddell, Chuck Liddell made John Hackleman. He doesn't have to disown Hackleman but if he wants to win he's going to have to start using his wrestling, kicks, backfists, etc. Hell, he's got a BJJ purple belt, practice some offensive jiu jitsu in training camp for god's sake!

Imagine if he would've went into the Rashad fight and taken Rashad down a couple of times in the first, made some submission attempts went for some leg/head kicks etc. There's no way Greg Jackson could've gotten Rashad to read Chuck's timing and Chuck could've either won a decision or gotten a TKO or god forbid a submission. But instead, he came in predictable as usual with slower, aging reflexes and Rashad read him like a book and got the KTFO.

IMO, that fight was pretty much the end for Chuck. The Rampage fight was understandable, Jardine won a boring decision but didn't outshine Chuck, but Rashad ended his career.

Like Sebowski said, he isn't that old by any means. However he's been getting shut off lately and got beat up by Chuck, which will quickly add a few years to you. He's ignoring tools in his toolbox, when right now is the time to start using them.

Wandy isn't old in terms of age, but he's "fighting" old. he's been in alot of wars which have added years to him.

look at Big Nog, he's 32 (just found out we have the same birthday :D), but nobody would ever guess that from his recent ring performances. too many wars, now he fights like he is 42

Old October-11th-2007, 10:58 AM

That was one sticking point. Fedor Also didn't like the contract stipulation the UFC always uses that a Fedor would be required to defend the belt if he won it. He couldn't leave as champion. It is similar to the idea that they will not give a fighter a title fight if he only has one fight left on his contract (see: Brandon Vera). Fedor also loves to fight in Russia, and the UFC is not planning on that any time soon.

I don't blame Fedor for this. Money isn't everything to everybody. I just hope he fights Josh Barnett. That is the only fight out there that makes sense. Barnett is the only heavyweight not signed by the UFC that is anywhere in Fedor's league.

And I think Barnett beats him.

Been waiting for this for a very long time. I am hoping to be there, though it will be tough with work.

Edited by Sebowski

Still think Barnett beats him?

I think he still has the best chance of anyone in the world. Best matchup. I think he can take him down and avoid subs while putting Fedor in danger.

For the record, yeah, I'll take my boy Barnett.

Edited by Sebowski

I think Fedor will crack Barnett on the feet and can own him on the ground. As long as he doesn't get stuck on the bottom I think he wins.

I'm gonna choose Barnett so if he wins I can feel good about something. I want Fedor to retire with 1 loss. He'll have Babe Ruth status, if he doesn't already.

who wins between fedor and brock?

Fedor by leglock

fedor hits hard for a relatively small heavyweight, and would have the edge standing. Fedor wouldn't be able to stop the takedowns, but Fedor may be the best Sambo practitioner in the world. Sambo players love arm & leglocks. i think Brock's strength will prevent him from being armbarred, but his legs would be sitting ducks for fedor

I think he still has the best chance of anyone in the world. Best matchup. I think he can take him down and avoid subs while putting Fedor in danger.

For the record, yeah, I'll take my boy Barnett.

If I don't lose my sig to another bet before August I'll take you up on a sig bet.

Barnett does have a good shot IMO but he'll need certain things to go his way to finish Fedor and I think Fedor will train hard to avoid those things (getting caught on the bottom, etc.)

Fedor by leglock

fedor hits hard for a relatively small heavyweight, and would have the edge standing. Fedor wouldn't be able to stop the takedowns, but Fedor may be the best Sambo practitioner in the world. Sambo players love arm & leglocks. i think Brock's strength will prevent him from being armbarred, but his legs would be sitting ducks for fedor

I agree. We should find out a lot more about Brock after this Mir fight too. It will be his first rematch and Mir is one of the best IMO. If Mir subs him again I'll say that Brock may be a little overrated.

Great stuff about Wandy and Fedor, guys. I love when you all get rolling on a subject and everyone has good points to add.

Back to the subject at hand- UFC 98! I'm heading out for a steak dinner with a date. Just found out today she loves the UFC so we'll be back here to catch the event tonight. Hoping for a great card and a Machida victory despite having Evans in my sig bet with BannedOrlando.

Who's gonna be around tonight?

P.S.- Just watched the highlights from the weigh-in. No wonder Rashad is nicknamed "Sugar." Dude is so smooth and relaxed. Machida looks tense. This will be interesting.

Edited by Chachie

Who's gonna be around tonight?

P.S.- Just watched the highlights from the weigh-in. No wonder Rashad is nicknamed "Sugar." Dude is so smooth and relaxed. Machida looks tense. This will be interesting.

I'll be watching on my computer in my office.

Don't mistake tense for intense

very impressed with Edgar's peformance

undersized at LW, yet he defended Sherk's takedowns and outstruck him the feet with some great combo's and movement

good win for Edgar (and for my gauntlet bet with Double)

Edited by StillUnknown