Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I think Diaz has to start out standing with just about anyone because his wrestling is his weakness. I almost guarantee that he'll stand with Smith and either try and pick him apart and go for the kill, or wait until he's gassed from boxing and then try to take him down.

i could see Diaz trying to prove a point and standing too long with smith

it worked back in the UFC against Robbie Lawler, but his chin isn't quite as good as Smiths

i could see Diaz trying to prove a point and standing too long with smith

it worked back in the UFC against Robbie Lawler, but his chin isn't quite as good as Smiths

He very well could prove that point. Diaz' standup is no joke. In fact I think his hands are better than Smith's minus maybe some 1-shot power. Although, I see what you're saying. If Diaz has him stunned or way off balance he should go for a takedown and call it a day. Smith will turtle up and release a bomb if you get anxious, ala his last fight. Sometimes you gotta wonder if he exaggerates how stunned/exhausted he is by how well he's fended off kills.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Quick change of subject, rumors on Sherdog going around pitting Anderson Silva against either Jardine or Forrest. MMABay.com (not reliable) says Thiago Silva has been injured and Anderson is filling in to fight Forrest. TheBleacherreport.com has Jardine going against Anderson at 103.

I say throw both of them at him and make the octagon smaller to guarantee action.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=8672&zoneid=2

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has been heavily criticized for his most recent performances, lackluster affairs against Patrick Cote and Thales Leites. He and his camp have become vocal about wanting bigger challenges.

It appears that his boss has been listening. UFC president Dana White on Tuesday informed Yahoo! Sports that the champion will take part in the co-main event of UFC 101 when the promotion lands in Philadelphia on Aug. 2. His opponent will be inaugural Ultimate Fighter winner and former UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin.

“Forrest loved the idea and said he’d do it right away, and Anderson told me he would fight anyone I wanted him to fight, no matter who it is,” White told Yahoo! Sports. “So we got the deal.”

The fight fits right in with desires of Silva and his camp.

"I just think Anderson wants to be involved with the biggest fights possible and the biggest fights that the UFC can put together. If it's at 205, 185 or if it's at some catchweight, it doesn't make a difference," Silva's manager Ed Soares told MMAWeekly.com recently. "He's got four fights left on his contract and he wants to make them the biggest fights possible. He wants to leave a legacy behind."

With the recent criticism of Silva putting a damper on his draw as a headliner, the bout with Griffin will give him a chance to win back fans and headline pay-per-view fight cards. UFC 101, however, will be headlined by lightweight champion B.J. Penn's title defense against No. 1 contender Kenny Florian.

Griffin had initially expected to face Thiago Silva at UFC 101, but the bout with Anderson Silva is obviously a higher profile opportunity. It is unclear what will happen with Thiago Silva at this point, as he has recently been training for the Griffin bout.

good match-up. Forrest would be wise to use his big frame to try and get Anderson down. on the feet, Forrest is too slow and doesn't have the power to challenge Anderson.

Edited by StillUnknown

HELL YA!! forrest can get him too i think.

pretty much comes down to if Griffin can get it to the ground. he'll get picked apart standing i think

on the ground, its no cakewalk either, Anderson's probably got the better BJJ game.

Griffin's biggest asset in this fight will be his size, he's as big as you can get for LHW.

right now without too much thought on the fight, i'd say Anderson by TKO, 3rd Round

I think Forrest can swarm him too though and overtake him. Anderson likes to have space to roam and he likes a fighter to just throw one or two punches and then pick them apart.

Remember Forrest with those leg kicks on Rampage...he can use that same strategy and his head is probably 10x harder then Rich's IMO.

My early prediction would be Forrest by decision.

As long as Forrest can avoid getting caught when he kicks, it's the only thing that cost him against Rashad.

Rashad's nowhere near as technical as Anderson. Forrest can't strike the same way against Anderson because it gives Anderson the opportunity to counter.

i think Forrest best shot is to get it on the ground and maintain top position, otherwise he's in trouble

Edited by StillUnknown

Oh man, Dana is setting Anderson up to be a heel.

It's in Philly, the "fight capital of the world", where fans will love Forrest because he's a brawler. As opposed to Anderson, who has recently been practicing for Dancing with the Stars.

This has good guy vs. bad guy written all over it.

It's a good matchup, but Forrest has to stay off his back. His guard is overrated and his standup is underrated.

LOL to that Forrest Gump pic!

I don't see Forrest being able to finish this fight. I think he does have a chance to win a few rounds and grind out a decision similar to what he did against Rampage.

Anderson won't stand there with his hands half-way down against Forrest like he did against Leites either because Forrest can brawl and he risks getting caught with a power shot.

I agree that the best chance Forrest has is to take Anderson down and lay on him for a few rounds and either pound on him or try to get a submission when Anderson gets tired. May be boring but it's what he'll have to do.

Also, this is an example of a non-title fight that needs to go 5 rounds.

I thought that was a joke/photoshop so I looked it up and all I could find was this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4111250&name=mma

its legit: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/4/29/858828/deep-m-1-challenge-3rd-edition-in

Fedor was basically playing with Aoki. He allowed him to get sub attempts like a flying armbar, a leg lock attempt, and even takedowns like the double leg and a nice seoi-nage.

Watching it though, you could very much tell that Fedor was allowing Aoki live and catch stuff for the sake of the fans. It didn’t stop him from picking him up and slamming him all around the place though, locking up subs of his own before letting go to stand back up. There was one instance where Fedor pounded the ground with a huge fist, right next to Aoki’s head—kind of a sign that, “hey, I can stop this at any moment, kiddo.”

Both were all smiles all the way through the exhibition though, so I imagine they were having lots of fun.