Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Even though its a few weeks away.

CHACHIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT YOU SUCKA.

UFC 98

Rashad vs Machida - I got Machida

Hughes vs Serra - I wanna take Serra because I think Hughes is spent but I dunno

Sherk vs Edgar - I got Sherk

Okami vs Miller - I'm taking Miller in the upset

I'm not enjoying the fact that you keep sticking me with Rashad Evans because I don't like rooting for him. He beat Forrest (the night you won the Gauntlet, all hail) winning that bet for me but I'd already lost the Glove so I was free to root against him. MeHateRashad. The problem is that I can't see the other fights as having any real sex appeal at all. Evans it is. I want a gauntlet challenge for UFC 100 though.

If you get banned before fight night, I win by default. :)

I'm not enjoying the fact that you keep sticking me with Rashad Evans because I don't like rooting for him. He beat Forrest (the night you won the Gauntlet, all hail) winning that bet for me but I'd already lost the Glove so I was free to root against him. MeHateRashad. The problem is that I can't see the other fights as having any real sex appeal at all. Evans it is. I want a gauntlet challenge for UFC 100 though.

If you get banned before fight night, I win by default. :)

Deal but remember I took Mir in our last Gauntlet, you make it sound as if you had an unfair shake. :cool:

If Rashad somehow gets past Machida I have the perfect fight:

205 title on the line

Rashad Evans-Randy Couture

I'm betting that Couture would whoop Rashad and get his 2nd 20 title at 46.

How awesome would that be?

If Rashad somehow gets past Machida I have the perfect fight:

205 title on the line

Rashad Evans-Randy Couture

I'm betting that Couture would whoop Rashad and get his 2nd 20 title at 46.

How awesome would that be?

i would have a problem with Couture just coming back down to 205 and leap frogging all the other contenders at 205. let Couture come down and fight a contender or two at 205 before granting him an automatic title shot.

i hated the fact he was granted a title shot at HW after being retired (especially since he was KO'd in his last fight before the retirement). i didn't like Brock getting a shot so early, didn't like Anderson getting a title shot off 1 fight in the UFC (although he had some fights in pride beforehand). all these fighters may have won, but doesn't mean they deserved the title shot when they got it

it cheapens the sport to give people title shots when they really haven't done anything to earn it within the division.

I love Nick Diaz but he would get his ass whipped in a boxing match and probably an MMA match against Roy Jones Jr....unless he got him on the ground of course.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14797/after-ufc-declines-invitation-roy-jones-jr-shut-out-of-strikeforce-too.mma

After UFC declines invitation, Roy Jones Jr. shut out of Strikeforce, too

Boxing legend Roy Jones Jr. continues to strike out in a search for potential homes for a mixed martial arts debut.

After UFC President Dana White recently declined on promoting a potential bout between his middleweight champion Anderson Silva and Jones Jr., Showtime Senior Vice President Ken Hershman today called a Strikeforce bout between the boxer and Nick Diaz a "very long shot."

After his April 11 win over Frank Shamrock, Diaz had challenged Jones Jr. to a boxing-rules match. Jones Jr. has since expressed his willingness to compete under full MMA rules.

"I get a Roy Jones call once a week pitching me things," Hershman said on today's Strikeforce media call. "[A fight between Diaz and Jones Jr.] would be a very long shot of ever happening."

While Jones Jr. would certainly command a salary far greater than that of any current mixed martial artist, Hershman said the financial challenges of the arrangement aren't the biggest issue.

"It has nothing to do with money," Hershman said. "I think it's an insult to the integrity of mixed martial arts to think Roy Jones, or any professional boxer, could just come in and fight Nick Diaz in a mixed martial arts context. In a boxing context, it's completely different.

"But beyond that, it's not the strategy we're employing. We're looking to build the best mixed martial arts brand. I believe we have the best professional boxing brand on television, and I think our fights month in and month out prove that. I don't see the need to combine the two at the moment."

Coker was quoted on GracieFighter.com, a website owned by Diaz's Cesar Gracie camp, as saying he would "absolutely set this fight up." Coker denied that position on today's media call.

"I've had several calls from different people saying, 'Roy Jones vs. Nick Diaz, Roy Jones vs. Cung Le, Roy Jones vs. this guy or that guy, but it's something that we haven't really talked about," Coker said. "I really don't even know how serious it is. But the question is, 'Does he want to fight in MMA? Does he want to fight in just boxing?' These are all things that haven't been fleshed out.

"I did get a call from Nick's manager asking me if I'd be interested in looking at a fight between Roy Jones and Nick. I said, 'Are you talking about boxing? Are you talking about MMA?' He says, 'In MMA.' I said, 'Well, that's something we can definitely have a conversation about. That just happened this morning. That's the extent of it."

While Jones Jr. has been a hot topic in conversations regarding Silva for more than a year, Diaz's name has just recently entered the debate. While Jones Jr.'s camp has yet to acknowledge Diaz's challenge, Hershman's comments seem to clearly nix the idea of the bout happening anytime soon.

"I wouldn't want to go down that path right now."

John Morgan is the lead staff reporter for MMAjunkie.com.

Strikeforce is putting on another card with good potential. And Randleplex is making his 2009 debut.

June 6th:

Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Shields

Nick Diaz vs. Scott Smith

Kevin Randleman vs. Mike Whitehead

Phil Baroni vs. Joe Riggs

Rafael Cavalcante vs. Jared Hamman

Jesse Finney vs. Josh Baumgartner

Tyron Woodley vs. Sal Woods

Scott Ventimiglia vs. Lucas Lopes

Pat Benson vs. Dave Lehr Cochran

Booker DeRousse vs. James Wade

If you guys haven't looked at it, SI.com has a good MMA section....

found this there today, apparently Benji Radach plans to appeal the Scott Smith bout!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/mma/05/06/radach.smith/index.html

Radach to appeal Strikeforce bout

Benji Radach and Scott Smith had, what most onlookers would call, the fight of the night at Strikeforce's April 11 debut on the Showtime network. No one would argue that it was a back-and-forth throwdown that ended when Smith landed a knockout blow late in the third round.

Radach, however, has since indicated that he plans to appeal the bout. In an interview with ESPN The Magazine, he made his case for several missteps by referee Herb Dean over the course of the fight.

First, Radach says that Smith grabbed the cage in the second round -- an illegal tactic -- which helped him escape a guillotine choke that Radach believes would have finished the fight. Second, he says that he "was not out" and was getting back to his feet when the fight was stopped due to what he and his management reviewed afterwards as being an illegal blow to the back of the head.

"The only thing that I'm a little upset about is that I think it was a quick stoppage," Radach told MMAWeekly.com shortly after the event. "I was recovering after that first shot and I went down to my side. I was coming back up and he socked me straight down square in the back of my head.

"(The rules state) you can't hit anybody in the back of the head, ear-to-ear, and it was dead center in the back of my head, and the ref stopped it. I don't think that was quite right."

In his interview with ESPN The Magazine, commenting on the decision to file an appeal, he added, "I'm not a sore loser, and I think Scott Smith is a great guy. I wish it didn't come to this. But I'm just doing what I think is right."

Smith and his management team will obviously do what is necessary to deal with Radach's appeal, but they're not happy about it.

"He's obviously entitled to his opinion, but we're disappointed that Benji is trying to take away from what was such a great fight," said Smith's manager, Mike Roberts of MMA Inc.

"At this point, we're moving on and are completely focused on Scott's June 6 fight with Nick Diaz."

As of the time of publication, no time frame for the appeal had been set.

Strikeforce is putting on another card with good potential. And Randleplex is making his 2009 debut.

June 6th:

Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Shields

Nick Diaz vs. Scott Smith

Kevin Randleman vs. Mike Whitehead

Phil Baroni vs. Joe Riggs

Rafael Cavalcante vs. Jared Hamman

Jesse Finney vs. Josh Baumgartner

Tyron Woodley vs. Sal Woods

Scott Ventimiglia vs. Lucas Lopes

Pat Benson vs. Dave Lehr Cochran

Booker DeRousse vs. James Wade

That is a great card. I had not heard about the Randleman fight, but I did see Overeem as a possibility for that card to defend his belt.

That is a great card. I had not heard about the Randleman fight, but I did see Overeem as a possibility for that card to defend his belt.

That is definitely a sweet card. I didn't know about the Randleman fight either, I can't wait to see him fight live again. He's not the most successful fighter but he comes out like a....well....monster as soon as the bell sounds.

I'd actually like to see Overeem and Randleman fight, I have Overeem winning but I think Randleman would make it very interesting.