Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

BTW- I'll be rooting for Forrest every second. I just think Spider has too many weapons. LHWs don't scare Silva. See "James Irvin" for reference.

Who? Forrest Griffin, as funny as it sounds, is lightyears ahead of Irvin. I think Forrest will go in there with a safe gameplan. OH NO. Right? But not to worry, it's Forrest, he will engage and prevent this from being a snoozer. Everyone has seen lately that all Silva wants to do is counter. Forrest has gotta pick his spots and get out of Dodge City. Make Silva get greedy with a countering opportunity, and grab a leg. Forrest can take him down, and he has a good chance to finish Silva on top.

Like we were saying with Diaz vs. Smith, and even more urgently than that, Forrest's best chance is to be on top of Anderson. Forrests' standup has improved a crapload since getting spanked by Jardine, but it's still not enough to risk turning the tides up there.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Who? Forrest Griffin, as funny as it sounds, is lightyears ahead of Irvin. I think Forrest will go in there with a safe gameplan. OH NO. Right? But not to worry, it's Forrest, he will engage and prevent this from being a snoozer. Everyone has seen lately that all Silva wants to do is counter. Forrest has gotta pick his spots and get out of Dodge City. Make Silva get greedy with a countering opportunity, and grab a leg. Forrest can take him down, and he has a good chance to finish Silva on top.

Like we were saying with Diaz vs. Smith, and even more urgently than that, Forrest's best chance is to be on top of Anderson. Forrests' standup has improved a crapload since getting spanked by Jardine, but it's still not enough to risk turning the tides up there.

Griff is my fave fighter because his personality and guts ROCK. However, he's clumsy and I just think Spider will eat that up. We'll see...

Got this from mmajunkie:

Demain Maia vs. Nate Marquardt set for UFC 102 in Portland on Aug. 29

Love this fight. We'll get a clear #1 contender while Anderson moves up to fight Forrest (sorry Okami, you just don't count).

I got Nate being to much for Maia, but will be rooting for Maia. I want to see the Jackson camp start losing and get taken down a peg or 12.

Got this from mmajunkie:

Love this fight. We'll get a clear #1 contender while Anderson moves up to fight Forrest (sorry Okami, you just don't count).

I got Nate being to much for Maia, but will be rooting for Maia. I want to see the Jackson camp start losing and get taken down a peg or 12.

Nate is an ass-kickin SOB. He is really damn good at every aspect of MMA. And he piledrove Thales Leites. I know who I'm rooting for.

Got this from mmajunkie:

i would imagine winner of Bisping/Hendo would get next crack at Anderson at MW, the winner of maia/nate would probably come next (okami sits in the corner waitin patiently :silly:)

nate has a great gound game himself, but he'd be wise to keep it standing. somehow he'll get sucked into Maia's world, where he'll be finished

Even though its a few weeks away.

CHACHIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT YOU SUCKA.

UFC 98

Rashad vs Machida - I got Machida

Hughes vs Serra - I wanna take Serra because I think Hughes is spent but I dunno

Sherk vs Edgar - I got Sherk

Okami vs Miller - I'm taking Miller in the upset

Edited by SkinsOrlando

i would imagine winner of Bisping/Hendo would get next crack at Anderson at MW, the winner of maia/nate would probably come next (okami sits in the corner waitin patiently :silly:)

nate has a great gound game himself, but he'd be wise to keep it standing. somehow he'll get sucked into Maia's world, where he'll be finished

I forgot about Hendo and Bisping. I'd still give the shot to the Maia-Nate winner though. Both have been more impressive of late imo.

Apparently Jose Canseco is taking on Hong Man Choi at the open-weight tourney in Dream 9 :laugh:

Canseco sucked at boxing, I imagine he's going to get his ass kicked pretty good by Hong Man Choi here.

Also Bob Sapp is fighting some ****ty middleweighter, Sokudju is fighting a 6-8, 330 lb K1 kickboxer, and Mousasi is fighting Mark Hunt.

http://sherdog.com/news/news/jose-canseco-to-collide-with-choi-in-super-hulk-tournament-17245

Jose Canseco to Collide with Choi in Super Hulk Tournament

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Jordan Breen

Jose Canseco to Collide with Choi in Super Hulk Tournament Although the featherweights were thought to be the center of attention for Dream 9, parent company Fighting and Entertainment Group has added another tournament focal point on the other side of the scales.

In a true Japanese mixed martial arts-style spectacle, FEG has announced its second tournament series of 2009: an eight-man open-weight competition that includes Major League Baseball bad boy Jose Canseco and has been christened the Super Hulk Tournament.

Four quarter-final bouts are slated for Dream 9 on May 26 at the Yokohama Arena in Yokohama, Japan, pitting fighters of all shapes and sizes against one another.

The opening round of the Super Hulk draw will see middleweight Ikuhisa Minowa play a familiar David role against Goliath Bob Sapp; Pride Fighting Championships and UFC veteran Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou will square off with K-1 veteran Jan Nortje; former Dream middleweight titleholder Gegard Mousasi will meet 2001 K-1 World Grand Prix champion Mark Hunt; and South Korean super heavyweight Hong Man Choi will face Canseco.

Minowa (41-30-8) is coming off of a disappointing decision loss to professional wrestling convert Katsuyori Shibata at Dream 8, while Sapp (10-3-1) has not seen action since he stopped amateur wrestling convert Akihito Tanaka -- under his now-infamous Kinniku Mantaro costume -- on New Year’s Eve. Sokoudjou (5-4), loser of three of his last four, was submitted in the second stanza by Renato "Babalu" Sobral at Affliction’s “Day of Reckoning” in January. The 6-foot-11 Nortje (2-5), despite being stopped in consecutive K-1 bouts by Peter Aerts and Bjorn Bregy, was victorious in his last MMA venture in February 2008, as he stopped fellow tournament competitor Sapp in 55 seconds inside the Strikeforce promotion.

The 23-year-old Mousasi (24-2-1) -- one of MMA’s hottest prospects after his 6-0 blitz in 2008 that saw him take Dream’s middleweight grand prix by storm -- recently vacated his Dream 183-pound throne in order to move up to 205 pounds and beyond. He has not fought since winning the crown by polishing off Melvin Manhoef and Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza in September. Hunt (5-5), 35, has lost his last four MMA bouts. He was shockingly knocked out by the aforementioned Manhoef in just 18 seconds on Dec. 31.

New Year’s Eve also marked the last action for the 7-foot-2 Choi (1-2), who was chopped down with leg kicks by Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic in the first round. Canseco, 44, has never competed in MMA, despite reported backgrounds in tae kwon do and muay Thai. The steroid whistleblower’s most prominent combat sports forays have come in celebrity boxing exhibitions. Canseco was knocked out in the first round of his bout with former NFL special teams maven Vai Sikahema in July and fought to a three-round majority draw with former child star Danny Bonaduce in January. He played for seven teams in his 17-year career in the major leagues and ranks 32nd on the all-time list with 463 home runs.

Dream event producer Keiichi Sasahara did not reveal any additional details on the tournament’s structure and scheduling for future rounds. However, Sasahara did promise a 15.0-percent television rating for Dream 9, the promotion’s first primetime broadcast of 2009 on the Tokyo Broadcasting System. In the promotion’s inaugural year, Dream garnered only paltry ratings in a flagging Japanese MMA market, pulling ratings of 8.9, 10.0 and 9.0 for its three primetime broadcasts. The strongest ratings star of Dream’s last two primetime broadcasts was Yoshihiro Akiyama, who has since left the promotion and signed with the UFC.

The Dream 9 telecast will be supported by a boxing lead-in, which will feature Japan’s most popular combat sports commodity, Daisuke Naito, defending his WBC 112-pound title against China’s Xiong Zhao Zhong. Naito has routinely drawn in the 25.0 rating range since he took his title from Thai rival Pongsaklek Wonjongkam in July 2007. Naito’s last defense, an 11th-round stoppage of countryman Shingo Yamaguchi in December, drew a 25.6 rating on TBS.

Apparently Jose Canseco is taking on Hong Man Choi at the open-weight tourney in Dream 9 :laugh:

Canseco sucked at boxing, I imagine he's going to get his ass kicked pretty good by Hong Man Choi here.

Also Bob Sapp is fighting some ****ty middleweighter, Sokudju is fighting a 6-8, 330 lb K1 kickboxer, and Mousasi is fighting Mark Hunt.

http://sherdog.com/news/news/jose-canseco-to-collide-with-choi-in-super-hulk-tournament-17245

Finally some credibility in Japan.

Sherdog also had a pretty short Fedor interview...nothing new here really:

8 Questions for Fedor Emelianenko

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Tony Loiseleur

8 Questions for Fedor Emelianenko TOKYO -- Before he met Shinya Aoki in a sambo exhibition at Wednesday's M-1 Challenge card in Tokyo, I was able to catch up with Fedor Emelianenko for a short interview.

And, by “catch up,” I really do mean “catch.” Between doing a multitude of interviews for other media outlets and fulfilling his many commitments for the Japanese side of the evening's Deep/M-1 co-promotion, it was difficult to find time to talk to Emelianenko.

But “The Last Emperor” was kind enough to set aside some time to answer what few questions I could field him in our 11-minute, 41-second interview. While I couldn't ask his opinions on the upcoming Lesnar-Mir title bout, whether or not he's been in touch with the UFC or who he believes his next opponent will be, there are a few gems contained herein.

Sherdog.com: You've been fighting less and less these days. Is there ever a desire or a restlessness in you to fight more often?

Fedor Emelianenko: I'm quite satisfied with the schedule that I have right now. I think for every fighter, there's a time that you have to fight more often to win a reputation or to establish your name. Then after that, there comes a time when you have to prepare yourself more seriously for a certain fight, and you have more responsibility for each fight you have to fight. So, I'm pretty satisfied with the time schedule right now.

Sherdog.com: Would you rather have been really fighting someone instead of just grappling with Aoki? What motivated you to take the exhibition match in the first place?

Emelianenko: Of course I want to fight in a real fight, especially in Japan. We are now in the process of negotiations with Dream and other companies, other organizations, but we have not reached any concrete decision yet. Regarding this exhibition match, I was ready to show myself to the Japanese fans -- I think we've missed each other a lot. Of course, I wanted to show my technique to the Japanese fans, who are always supporting me.

Sherdog.com: I know this has been asked before, but regarding rankings, do these things matter to you? At the end of the day, is it important to you that people know you as the best fighter in the world?

Emelianenko: I try not to pay much attention to rankings, but I want to keep my ranking just because I am performing on behalf of my country. For me, it’s more important that Russia is considered to be a strong country and not myself, personally. Regarding how I can finish my career, that all depends on God's will. Maybe my career will finish all of a sudden, or maybe I'll be able to continue working as a fighter as long as possible.

Sherdog.com: Do you see the end as near? Or is that something you don't think about?

Emelianenko: Of course I try not to think about it. But if you consider my age, of course it's time for me to start thinking about it, I know. But I try not to think about it.

Sherdog.com: Is fighting a "legacy in the making" for you, or is it just a job to earn money for you and your family? Or like you said just now, is it something you do to show how strong Russian fighters are? Ultimately, what is it that you fight for?

Emelianenko: MMA is everything for me -- everything in my life. It's a way I can represent my country. It's a way I can please the fans that support me, and this is something that I can do best. So this is all. My life.

Sherdog.com: Another top pound-for-pound fighter, Anderson Silva, recently defended his title at UFC 97. Did you see that fight, and if so, what did you think? What are your thoughts of the criticism leveled on him after the fight?

Emelianenko: Regrettably, I didn't get to see the match because I was training in the mountains. And well, for those who want to criticize, I think that anything that catches their eye can be adopted for criticism. We're not supposed to think too much about criticism.

Sherdog.com: After the fight, Anderson Silva and his manager, Ed Soares, recently expressed in an interview with Yahoo an interest in possibly fighting you in the future. As a top pound-for-pound fighter yourself, what are your thoughts on Silva and a potential fight with him?

Emelianenko: He's two classes lighter, and there's no possibility to negotiate with fighters still in the UFC. But if there is any possibility, of course we are open to proposals.

Sherdog.com: He's said to walk around at 215 pounds -- about 15 pounds lighter than you -- and his contract will eventually be up someday. Is there a time in the future that you can foresee fighting him?

Emelianenko [After taking a moment to confirm the weight issue with his interpreter]: Why not?

Translation by Junpei Takahashi

Meia's standup is rudamentary at this point of his career, if Nate keeps it on the feet, he will tear his ass apart. I think Griffen will hand Silva is first loss. Forrest is a big 205, even if Silva walks around at 215, Griffen is probably close to 225-230lbs. I think Griffen can over power him on the ground.

Meia's standup is rudamentary at this point of his career, if Nate keeps it on the feet, he will tear his ass apart.

I agree with this. I love Maia as I'm a huge fan of the sub game, but I think Nate might be a little too much for it on his feet. However, Maia has a tendency to be able to get the fight to the ground somehow, and if that happens, Nate better watch out.

Honestly, as accomplished as Maia is in pure jiu jitsu, I'm still not sure how well it's been translated for MMA. He owned Nate "Belt so White it's Clear" Quarry in like half a second. Everybody's jaw dropped. Was very impressive.

He nabbed Sonnen, as well. Sonnen has a mediocre ground game at best. It also took him 3 rounds to put away essentially the only decent ground fighter he's fought in the big leagues so far, Jason MacDonald.

Nate Marquardt is a monster when he doesn't try to do WWF wrestling maneuvers. I think his wrestling will keep him from landing on his back and if he does score a takedown he will commence to unleash his manic G&P and TKO Maia

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll