Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

GSP has the physical advantages, BJ has a slight edge in skill. GSP has better cardio and more heart.

GSP edge: Size, strength, speed, cardio, heart

BJ edge: Skill (slightly)

Doesn't sound like my guy has a shot. :)

Edited by Chachie

the fact still remains tho that Penn is one of the best fighters in the game. He is Elite and no one should ever count him out.

Like I said I am scared to death about this fight cuz penn CAN win it.

I will root for Penn in every other fight he is in. He is my second favorite fighter.

Regardless of you who think is gonna win, we are gonna witness possibly the greatest match ever

I'm rooting for Penn and have a sig bet with Orlando but I'll say this for GSP... He's real good in rematches. If he's fought you once and lost, he figures you out and makes the rematch a tough night for you, ala Matt Hughes and Matt Serra.

Penn lost his rematch with Hughes

And he only fought Serra once

:cheers:

who won the WEC fight with faber?

Faber by destruction.

Remember the soctt smith vs pete sell fight how it ended?

It ended like that except there was no comeback.

Pulver ate a left to the body, began hunching over in pain, Then Faber pounced, took him to the ground at choked him out, less then 2 minutes in.

I don't know who to choose for this fight coming up. Both have a good shot at winning. Both are at the top of their game right now too. This is one of those too awesome to call fights.

I like GSP, but I'm going to be rooting for Penn. People who think GSP will take him down easily never saw the 2nd Penn/Hughes fight, where Penn stopped many attempts by Hughes. Both have good standup, and both have good (but very different) ground game. Should make for a very good fight.

You should go back and watch the fight where Varner won the title. He was fighting Razor Rob McCullough and McCullough had him obviously dazed and caught Varner with a hook I believe and it sent Varner's mouthpiece flying, Rob went in for the kill and Varner made a "T" with his hands to the ref begging him for a timeout. The ref stopped and got his mouthpiece and Varner took forever getting it in which gave him plenty of time to recover, then he ended up catching Razor Rob and KOing him. It was a shady ending as well.

Oh crap, you're right that was Varner. What a freaking douche. I'm even more convinced now that the knee didn't even phase him. You can see from the replay that it barely even moved his head. What a joke. Hell of a way to win/lose a belt.

I want Cerrone in the UFC!

I think a lot of people underrate Penn because of the period in time he spent as a lazy fighter. This would include his rematch with Hughes. Penn had Hughes choked out and the bell saved Hughes. Keep in mind this was during the era where people considered Hughes unstoppable. Penn gassed and then eventually lost.

When Penn was in his lazy years he was still beating 99% of his opponents based solely on his talent level and execution.

I like both fighters, I am a fan of both, I almost always root for both these guys in their fights, but Saturday I am going to be rooting for Penn.

I think the difference here is that GSP is one of those guys who is good at a lot of things, but not ELITE in anything. Where as BJ Penn is ELITE in BJJ, and damn near Elite in his standup/boxing.

I think the advantage goes to BJ because if GSP manages to take BJ down, he is going to be contending with a Black Belt in BJJ.

Where GSP has the advantage is his stength because the weight class is his natural weight class, so he will be stronger then BJ Penn, but of course the same could be said about Sean Sherk, that dude was like one big bulging muscle, and he was dismantled by BJ Penn.

If the fight goes past three rounds all eyes will be on BJ Penn's cardio because in the past, during his lazy years, this is where he was most vunerable. IE: 1st GSP fight, 2nd Hughes fight.

i disagree about GSP not being elite at anything. he is an elite wrestler, he may not be credentialed in the area, but he's outwrestled everybody he's fought, including Hughes and even more impressively Koscheck who was D1 Champ. he is easily the best wrestler at 170, and one of the best in all of MMA

Where GSP has the advantage is his stength because the weight class is his natural weight class, so he will be stronger then BJ Penn, but of course the same could be said about Sean Sherk, that dude was like one big bulging muscle, and he was dismantled by BJ Penn.

GSP tooled Sherk even worse

i disagree about GSP not being elite at anything. he is an elite wrestler, he may not be credentialed in the area, but he's outwrestled everybody he's fought, including Hughes and even more impressively Koscheck who was D1 Champ. he is easily the best wrestler at 170, and one of the best in all of MMA

yup. Could have made the Canadian national team for the olympics.

Also he's a Black belt in BJJ. that's not just "good" That's borderline elite.

He also trains with Howard Grant, a former championship boxer. He is no slouch standing

yup. Could have made the Canadian national team for the olympics.

Also he's a Black belt in BJJ. that's not just "good" That's borderline elite.

He also trains with Howard Grant, a former championship boxer. He is no slouch standing

out of curiosity, who'd he get his black belt from? i know he was training with Renzo for awhile before the back and forth he had with Serra.

just asking because not all black belts are created equal (not that i'm questioning his though)

out of curiosity, who'd he get his black belt from? i know he was training with Renzo for awhile before the back and forth he had with Serra.

just asking because not all black belts are created equal (not that i'm questioning his though)

Good question SU, I'm gonna try and find the link where I read it.

I'll be secretly rooting for GSP in this fight. The match is certainly gold, but I think it's a little too early for BJ to be moving up and fighting GSP. Before I go on, I just want to say that I'm excited and looking forward to this fight. This fight is kind of like being married and at the same time wanting to hummingbird-hump her friend with the big balloons. It's great to think about, but you shouldn't do it.

Well you get drunk, and decide to do it one night. And how amazing was it sticking your A-Rod in between her Madonnas? Problem is, you have a wife that has given you consistency and more than enough pleasure. You just HAD to see how it would be getting with the super hot chick. Now you have to come down off that high. Mega****, megafight they're both over and back to the same ole same ole. And the ring that you had to put back on your finger after using said finger to ram it up Mary Jane Rottoncrotches purty pink panties? If you have any ounce of conscience you'll feel like you just dinished its meaning.

If BJ loses, it diminishes the "undisputedness" of his lightweight title, as far as I'm concerned. He gets beat by GSP, and he's still champion? The simple fact that he can sit around and eat seaweed all day at the beach to gain 15 lbs enables him to fatten up to any weight class he wants to. Another thing, this fight, my friends, should be at a catch weight for both belts. If GSP wins and cannot cut to 155 to defend the lightweight belt? The answer is: Give it to Clay Guida. But you can't convince me 15 pounds of fat is the difference between why BJ would get 2 belts and GSP would only keep the one he currently has.

I'm rambling on, perhaps incoherently, but BJ hasn't defended his lightweight title. He has won 3 times in almost 2 1/2 years. Without bias, because I'm not a crazed fanatic of either of these guys, I have to say that their first fight wasn't as close as EVERYBODY thinks it was. GSP got his "busted up" face from a grazing shot and a poke in the eye. He lost round 1, but it wasn't a huge beatdown. Erase the blood and the round is much closer. I cannot see how Penn won round 2, that argument baffles me to this day. As far as I'm concerned, Cecil People's judgment of the fight going Penn's way has planted a seed in the people who are infatuated with BJ Penn. He didn't win, it wasn't really that close, either.

That said, if BJ wins and ends up defending both of these belts over the next year or two, there will be a small-caliber hostage situation going on. Having to cut and gain weight back and forth, defending the titles MAYBE twice a year, respectively. I do not like rooting against great fighters unless they have a bad attitude, but BJ, if the hype is true and you start to dominate Fedor-style, I'll have to start rooting against you for the sake of a lively UFC.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll