Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

When a fighter is hurt, they have to do things to protect themselves. 'Run' around a ring and lay flat on their back to minimize damage. It's really quibbling to distinguish between the 2 since both were when each fighter was knocked around, both had the opponent gesture at them and both were a cumulative time of literally seconds. 

4 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

When a fighter is hurt, they have to do things to protect themselves. 'Run' around a ring and lay flat on their back to minimize damage. It's really quibbling to distinguish between the 2 since both were when each fighter was knocked around, both had the opponent gesture at them and both were a cumulative time of literally seconds. 

They aren't the same thing.  BJJ fighters try to invite strikers into a grappling match.  That is far different from turning your back to your opponent and hurrying in the opposite direction.  That's what McGregor did, more than once, and that's what I described as running.  It's rare to see any fighter do that several times in a fight.

Also, for those that missed the Cerrone super combo:

http://i.imgur.com/kYxiRk4.mp4

• Like 1

Thats an interesting use of invitation. Getting knocked onto your back and using a form of BJJ to maximize bad situation I get. If he wanted to be cordial and invite Connor in, he simply could have laid on his back.

Look, both fighters had 'survival' tactics employed. Say what you want, laying on your back 'inviting' your opponent in or 'running' around the ring. Like Nate said, He should have been finished, he was knocked down and wounded. Same could be said for Connor. He was beaten in a corner and escaped out and danced around twice. 

Neither matters to me, both fighters were wounded. Conner won fight on class. The leg kicks alone gets him victory on points. Good fight though, can't wait for III

Since when is running (no quotes needed) a fighting tactic?  I'm happy to point out examples of BJJ fighters laying on their backs and up kicking.  Happens all the time.  This false equivalency isn't needed.  McGregor ran away when he gassed, but he still won.  It's history now.  

• Like 1

Yeah when Nate was on his back I am sure he would have been more than glad for Conor to try and do some ground and pound. He would have ended up getting subbed, which is why he didn't try to swoop in and capitalize.  Someone who was more confident in their own ground work would have bum rushed Diaz once he was knocked down and stunned like that to try and finish the job.  Not faulting Conor for it, he was just self aware of where he did not want the fight to go and it was a smart move.  On the other hand Nate was not disengaging from the fight when he was on his back, he was not crawling backwards to the other side of the cage to get away. 

If you want an example of a BJJ guy straight up disengaging from a fight and refusing to do anything go watch Anderson Silva vs. (I believe) Patrick Cote from a handful of years ago.  Cote would lay down on his own over and over to try and have Silva just voluntarily make it a ground fight.  

19 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Nate should do like Nick and get surgery to remove scar tissue

That and get some corner men who know what the hell they are doing.

46 minutes ago, Destino said:

Since when is running (no quotes needed) a fighting tactic?  I'm happy to point out examples of BJJ fighters laying on their backs and up kicking.  Happens all the time.  This false equivalency isn't needed.  McGregor ran away when he gassed, but he still won.  It's history now.  

Rope-a-dope, running, whatever you need to do to get a breather and if you can compound that with making your opponent use some energy in a less effective manner than it's a tactic. Surviving by all means necessary is a tactic. He ran, than he outclassed him. He was and is the better fighter. Running for 10-15 seconds doesn't discredit the win. Doesn't discredit him knocking Diaz on his butt over and over.

Like other post, Diaz coulda swarmed and attempted to take his back. But Connor had enough to prevent that. Just like Nate had enough to defend himself on back. Both fighters knew that they either didn't have enough to land or even go for kill shot in both scenerios. 

Is what it is, he danced out and caught a breather. Nate was knocked down and recouped on mat. Both positions were advantageous to each fighter as Connor was obviously the better of the 2 on their feet and Diaz would end the match easily on the mat. Both put themselves in a position to be effective while they were vulnerable 

Edited by Bonez3

Rope-a-dope requires defense and toughness.  Any clown can run.  Again, you're confusing tactics with something that is frowned upon severely in the fight game.  Let's not mince words, running is not viewed positively in the fight game by anyone.  Not coaches, fighters, fans, promoters, or judges.  Fighters can back away, circle away, turtle up and survive, wrap up, pin against the cage, take opponents down and just hold them there... any number of things.  Actually turning your back and dashing away multiple times is not something anyone teaches or praises.... and usually it's not something people easily forgive or over look.   

The win is in the books, no changing that.  But the history should be recorded accurately because I doubt we'll see a guy that ran away multiple times win a decision again any time soon.  This win was special.   

• Like 1

I'll just disagree. It was far from special because of that fact. Spin the semantics my way or yours. He was winded and weak and bought a few seconds. Strong enough to still fight and ultimately collected himself to resume fighting. Boxers routinely circle and move to avoid engagements when hurt and weakened. Really, to  me, this was one of the lesser significant matters in the fight. 

I don't think anyone is saying it discredits or taints his win.  Unless I missed someone's reply. And I also wouldn't call Conor "better" on his feet than Diaz, unless you are saying he has heavier hands which he obviously does. To me if you look at the fight as a whole I think when Diaz was dominant he was very dominant where as the rounds Conor won were a lot closer.  I don't even think anyone who scored it for Diaz is even that salty over Conor getting the decision either.  It was a good close hard fought win, but it seems like you (Bonez3) are trying to frame this as if McGregor was just out there out classing a guy that he barely scored a decision victory over.  There was no "out-classing" going on despite who you thought won.

Sidenote: Nate should really consider getting the same surgery Nick did to remove some scar tissue because he gets bloodied up so quick and easily. 

• Like 1

the fight came down to round two.  

Round 1 and 4 were clearly McGregors.  He dominated the 1st and beat a blind man in the 4th.  

Round 3 and 5 were clearly Diaz.  He destroyed Connor in the 3rd and stayed after him in the 5th winning a sloppy round for both fighters, probably because he ended it with a successful takedown and followed it with strikes from on top.  

im not a fan of the decision but it's not nearly the worst I've seen.  It's nit even on that list, this was more arguable than awful.  Diaz threw more strikes and landed more.  McGregor did more visible damage.  

I thought McGregors take down defense was the most under appreciated aspect of that fight.  Diaz clearly wanted it on the ground and never could get it there.... and I can't remember if he's shown that kind of defense before.  Had Diaz scored takedowns in several rounds, and he tried, I think he finishes the fight.  

No one got outclassed.  If you wanted an example of outclassed look at the previous fight.  Donald Cerrone took Rick Story to striking school and landed one of the sweetest combinations you'll ever see in a real fight.  

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I thought McGregors take down defense was the most under appreciated aspect of that fight.  Diaz clearly wanted it on the ground and never could get it there.... and I can't remember if he's shown that kind of defense before.  Had Diaz scored takedowns in several rounds, and he tried, I think he finishes the fight.  

I would also say McGregor's heart was on display for perhaps the first time ever. As good as he looked in the first round and a half, he looked equally almost done by the end of the third.  I was pretty convinced he would be finished in the 4th (as was my original prediction coincidentally).  Now, was maybe his resurgence due somewhat to Diaz being virtually blinded by his own blood during that round? Sure, however Conor still gets props for that second wind and storming back.  Wasn't sure he had that in him.

Without having rewatched the fight yet, but listening to some more commentary on the fight. I almost want to say the 47-47 draw could have possibly been the most accurate score for how the fight went, giving Conor 1-2-4, and Diaz a 10-8 3rd round and the 5th.  Diaz's flurry on McGregor in the final :60-90 seconds might not have won him the round but it surely did enough to erase any notion of Conor getting a 10-8 for the 2nd (as some Conor fans are demanding if you are of the mind that Diaz should have got 10-8 for the 3rd).

• Like 1

Welterweight standout Rory MacDonald is closing in on a deal with Bellator. The news first was reported by FloCombat.com, and a UFC official confirmed to MMAjunkie the UFC declined to match a contract offer MacDonald received.

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/08/report-former-ufc-welterweight-title-challenger-rory-macdonald-headed-to-bellator

I figured this was going to happen as soon as he became a free agent. I have never been a huge MacDonald fan, but he is a very good fighter. I assume he is going to get paid very well, and good for him. He deserves it. 

I don't think it is a huge loss for the UFC though. Although he is an excellent fighter, he never seemed, to me at least, like he was a "must see" fighter. Earlier in his career, he seemed like he had all the talent in the world, but he has never really gotten over that hump, and I have to wonder how much that war with Lawler took out of him. He took a year off, and he didn't have much for Wonderboy in his last fight. Thompson deserves a lot of credit for that, but Rory just never got going. He's still a young guy, but he has taken a lot of damage in his career thus far.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens for him in Bellator. They obviously are not as deep, but they have some good fighters at 170, as Benson Henderson found out.  

Edited by lovetoaster

5 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Nick Diaz got jumped in Vegas. 

Damn...that's crazy. I was just reading about that. Apparently they didn't know who he was, it was just a random thing. 

Haha...I like this line: 

Diaz told Bellagio security he didn’t want to press charges because, “They got the worst of it.”

http://thebiglead.com/2016/08/24/nick-diaz-involved-in-brawl-at-las-vegas-night-club/

Soszynski is probably not the most impressive choice to demonstrate how hard to hit a UFC fighter is but the video does serve as a reminder how absurd regular people trying to throw a punch actually look like. The last guy in this video is what I imagine some random morons in a club trying to fight a UFC fighter would be like. 

It sounds like McGregor will fight Diaz again but at 155... Not sure how I feel about that, but I guess it makes sense for Conor to demand a jump back to his more natural weight (or at least closer to).

Destino, I agree with your assessment of the fight, but would give Round 2 to Diaz thus he won 3-2 or 48-47.

On 8/25/2016 at 0:23 AM, Destino said:

I need to see video.  I want to see what drunk idiots trying to fight a UFC fighter looks like.  Talk about messing with the wrong guy... 

Being at the Bellagio, there's absolutely video of the whole fight, and in every place it spilled into.

Question is, whether they release it to the public.