Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rumor on the Junkies today

The Ringer

Did anyone hear this morning on the Junkies that Lurch was at a party with some Redskins coaches and they told him about when Spurrier was there? Apparently the Old Ball Coach would load up a van before the games with kegs and the coaches would drink on the drive to the games. Also in 2003, Spurrier made a deal with the players. If they beat the Bears in a December game then they would have the next week off until a walk through for their impending game against the Eagles. Sure enough, the Skins lost to Chicago and to punish the team Spurrier only gave them Monday-Thursday off. The Skins proceeded to get smoked by the Eagles 31-7 on the Sunday night finale. This guy was such a joke, I can't believe I was on his bandwagon when he came to the Skins, thank God Joe Gibbs came back to steer this sinking ship into an upright position.

Sorry, don't buy it.

I know it's fashionable and fun to bash Steve Spurrier, but the guy is a professional coach. Yes he failed here, but has been a success everywhere he's been other than us, and that includes as a pro football coach in the USFL.

I seriously doubt his reward to a team for winning a game is to not practice the next week until the walkthru.

It sounds absurd to me even as I write it.

Yeah I don't buy this too much. It would explain the "drunk" play calling, but lets face it, he's a professional and knows how to act. He's been around the game long enough to know the value of practice and how to conduct himself. Sorry I just can't believe it...

I almost want to believe it, that way Spurrier would have some defense for how awfully the team was prepared :) In all fairness to Steve though, I seriously doubt that it happened. I concur with what a lot of people have said about SS: He is a great coach, a professional and I seriously doubt he would have done something like that. He failed here in the NFL, but I'm sure he gave it his all.

While the week off I could see happening, the van full of booze i don't really see having had happened. While Spurrier was a gigantic joke as an NFL coach, he has done a pretty good job in his one year at my Alma Mater.

Yeah but there is no comparison between that and the NFL. For one - it is much easier to get your players respect in college where as in the NFL if players think they know even close to as much as you they most likely won't respect you.

Not to mention the preparation and humongous size of most playbooks (obviously not Spurriers)

He did go play golf *all* the time. I could see him drinking b4 games.

edit: Do people really think that was Spurrier's all? I guess it might be, but that is sad if that is his all, when other coaches seem to work so much harder on scouting, planning, play design etc.... and less hard on golfing.

Sorry, don't buy it.

I know it's fashionable and fun to bash Steve Spurrier, but the guy is a professional coach. Yes he failed here, but has been a success everywhere he's been other than us, and that includes as a pro football coach in the USFL.

I seriously doubt his reward to a team for winning a game is to not practice the next week until the walkthru.

It sounds absurd to me even as I write it.

the story IS absurd. however spurriers success isnt surprising that every team hes coached besides our beloved Skins was college. and yes i count the usfl as college, call it AAAA.

I don't believe it. Spurrier was a joke as an NFL head coach, but as others have pointed out, he has been an amazing success at every other coaching level. You don't achieve that level of success without being professional.

I personally believe that if he hadn't become disillusioned with the whole experience, and simply put his nose to the grindstone he would have eventually achieved success in the NFL as well. His "fun-n-gun" offense could have been tweaked to work at the pro level. Unfortunately for us the the Redskins organization, he simply didn't have that extra bit of fire left in his belly to work things out.

He really should have come to the NFL as a coordinator first......

Does Spurrier even drink?

QUOTE]

Oh yeah, he is famous for having a fridge full of Coor's Light in his office and drinking a bottle of Hieneken at black tie functions so he could drink and store the bottle without spilling it in the inside pocket of his sport jacket. This came from his college coaching at Florida so his hands would be free to sign autographs and shake the hand's of booster's.

I have heard many rumor's of Spurrier going in hung over, so there may be no validity to this one but he definitley exhibited some absurd behavoir while coaching here.

Archived