Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is where the Dallas offense is headed (merged)

Angus

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9444769

This is where the offense is headed

Pat Kirwan By Pat Kirwan

NFL.com Senior Analyst

(May 17, 2006) -- Just before I came on the air for my daily radio show at Sirius Radio last week, Bill Parcells was being interviewed and I listened to what the Tuna had to say about where he thought NFL offenses were headed in 2006.

Parcells made a very interesting point about why his Cowboys selected tight end Anthony Fasano (Notre Dame) in the second round. The Cowboys, like every other NFL team, has multiple needs. And unlike many other teams, the Cowboys already have an elite tight end in Jason Witten. Parcells said, "There are more favorable matchups right now in the NFL when you can come out in two-tight end sets than there are when you come out in three-wide receiver sets." It is a very powerful statement about NFL offenses and defenses. I thought I would break down the matchup possibilities and discuss them with coaches around the league.

The defensive coaches stand on the sidelines and wait to see which personnel group enters the playing field before deciding what they will do on defense. So, let's start with the concept of running an offensive personnel group on to the field and the pressures it can put on a defense. If a team sends out two tight ends, two wide receivers and one running back, which we will call ACE personnel, the defense will usually respond with base defense personnel, which is four linemen, three linebackers and four defensive backs. If the defense happens to be a 3-4 package, it switches the number of linemen and linebackers, but the key is it still sends out four defensive backs. The matchup possibilities can favor the offense if it has an athletic tight end like Witten, Jeremy Shockey, Todd Heap, Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez or newcomer Vernon Davis. Some imagination in formations by any decent offensive coordinator and an offense can isolate one of the tight ends on a linebacker or safety and still have a quality strongside running attack option behind the other tight end. For example:

TE LT LG C RG RT TE

(Witten) QB (Fasano) WR WR

RB

The quarterback will look to see how the defense is configured to the open tight end side. If he sees a 5-foot-11 safety singled up on his 6-5 tight end, he likes the matchup. If he sees a linebacker out on the open tight end, he likes it even more. If he sees some combination of safety/linebacker out there, he really likes the run options back inside, especially to the opposite of the tight end side. If the defense has any combination of two people on the open tight end and the extra safety in the box for the run game, then the two wide receivers are singled up on the corners with no safety help.

Coach Parcells' point was if he sent in a third wide receiver into the game for one of those tight ends, the defense will sub in an extra defensive back for a linebacker, and that shifts the advantage back to the defense.

The third corner, or nickel corner, on most teams today is a legitimate starter and usually plays more than 50 percent of the plays during the season. He can become a very effective blitzer from the slot. The defense knows there is very little chance for a lead blocker in the backfield to get out there on him, and the defense can disguise man and zone coverage schemes very easily.

CB

TE LT LG C RG RT WR

WR QB WR

RB

Most defensive coordinators code personnel by how many wide receivers are in the game. Three- and four-receiver packages usually dictate five or six defensive back packages. But unless the down-and-distance situation is third and more than 6 yards, Parcells and other coaches with two quality tight ends like their chances against four defensive back defenses for a number of reasons.

They can usually reduce the number of quality blitz and zone-dog pressures teams can use against them. They can always motion one of the tight ends into the backfield to create a power lead play from a two-back set. They can create an extra gap to defend by lining up the two tight ends together, and they can get to a legitimate eight-man pass-protection scheme if they have to against pressure teams.

I asked an NFL defensive coach to think through the problems Dallas will pose this season in the two-tight end, two-wide receiver, one-running back personnel grouping, and his first comment was, "I'm glad we aren't playing them unless it's in the Super Bowl."

Here are some of the things that look real good on paper for the Dallas offense right now. As one coach said, "Consider the Kansas City offense has rarely had trouble moving the ball in this personnel grouping with Gonzalez and that they don't have Terrell Owens on the field as one of the wide receivers." Dallas can expect a number of opportunities when the opponent "rolls" the coverage to Owens, something teams rarely do against Kansas City or San Diego wideouts. When they do tilt the coverage to Owens, Drew Bledsoe knows he has Witten or Terry Glenn singled up, and the advantage goes to Dallas. If teams try to play Owens as if he wereEddie Kennison, then Owens wins more often than not. One secondary coach said, "Early in the year, Witten and Glenn may get a lot more opportunities than Owens, but things will shift back to T.O. later on."

As my coaching friend pointed out, "The real winner in the new 'Dallas offense' should be running back Julius Jones. Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Tiki Barber and LaDainian Tomlinson are all great backs, but the running opportunities they get when they set up the offense the right way doesn't hurt their chances. Julius Jones is going to get more rushing plays with a blocker on every defender in the box than he has had in the past."

And, as the coach pointed out, "Bledsoe is the perfect guy to run the show." He will make very good play choices. Do the math! A man and a half on the flexed tight end, Witten, three defenders on Owens and Glenn, and all of a sudden the five Cowboy linemen and Fasano can get everyone blocked for Jones.

As for third-and-long, another coach added that if the Cowboys elect to stay in this personnel grouping on third downs in what would be considered very high pass-to-run ratio situations and the defense sends out nickel defense responding more to down-and-distance than personnel grouping, then guys like Bledsoe and Parcells will take the run options, and that will stress the defense even more.

When you look at the possible matchup problems in the red zone, especially with a team like Kansas City, which has been the top point producer over the past few years, it appears Dallas has the matchup game covered again. Also, it's a place Fasano could come alive because he definitely will get linebacker coverage down there, and he could resemble Parcells' old favorite, Mark Bavaro.

For now, it looks like Parcells, by drafting Fasano and signing Owens, finally has built an offense that has all the classic conflicts a coach could want heading into a season. He said he thought the matchups were favorable to a three-wide receiver offense, and the defensive coaches I spoke with agree.

Interesting piece. But I still think our defense matches up wonderfully with Dallas because of one player: Sean Taylor. As long as he's in there - no worries. He can take away any player who has the hot hand. And I'll take my chances with Rogers and Springs one-on-one against the other threats. We also drafted the best cover-LB in college with McIntosh. I'm sure either he or Washington would be fine on Fasano.

The best way to attack the Skins is to spread us out with 4 Wrs or 3 Wrs and an athletic TE. I believe the Giants/Colts match up best with our defense (out of the teams we will be playing).

We'll see if the theory works as well as this writer thinks...this article reads like crap this guy sounds like a total fan.

Kirwin is one of the best there is. He's a little biased since he worked with Parcells but it's not insane to imagine nice improvement from the Dallas offense. If their line can just be solid, they could be explosive.

Still - like always - it will come down to the division games. Whoever wins 4 or 5 of those will be going to the playoffs. Whoever doesn't, doesn't.

Kirwin is one of the best there is. He's a little biased since he worked with Parcells but it's not insane to imagine nice improvement from the Dallas offense. If their line can just be solid, they could be explosive.

Still - like always - it will come down to the division games. Whoever wins 4 or 5 of those will be going to the playoffs. Whoever doesn't, doesn't.

Read the article to yourself without thinking Kirwin is the one behind it. Can't you see what I am saying...?the article reads like a fan wrote it.

i'm not even gonna lie. dallas really could have a great offense. the only thing is that they need a solid o-line. if their o-line stays healthy and plays well, then they really coould do a lot with the offense they have. but i'm just looking forward at the fact that drew bledsoe will being seeing the number 21 after every play. :dallasuck

A couple thoughts.

1. The author assumes an unproven rookie will step in and play right away (maybe he will and maybe he won't)

2. The author assumes that defensive linemen won't disrupt the Dallas offense by overwhelming the Oline players. Some Dline players require two offensive players to block.

3. Some LB's can actually cover TE's in this league.

4. The author assumes Jones is a good RB. The same Jones the pukes tried to trade in the offseason.

5. The author assumes the QB can get the job done.

The above said, I think Dallas will have a better offense than last year and should pose some problems to some teams.

I dont see the 2 tight end tandem of the Cowboys as a problem given Washington's skills as a cover guy, and McIntosh's speed. Of course nobody can depend on a rookie to cover a pro bowler well, but McIntosh is a good cover LB and if matched up against Fasano should at least be able to stop a fellow rookie. Our safeties arent exactly small pushovers that a matchup of a big tight end would disturb. Taylor is very quick, and can bring down...well I dont know his limit because I have never seen it...Archuleta had a reputation as a hard hitter, so I dont see the tight ends being too much of a problem to our LB's or our safeties...heck all of our Linebackers are pretty quick, I have never worried about them in coverage these past 2 years.

Also, we have a nice little 2 TE thing ourselves with Cooley and Fauria. Cooley is a good reciever, Fauria is more of a blocker but is skilled none the less.

I find it interesting how the article mentionsKansas City's propensity to have sucess in the same personell grouping. Hmmmmmm..............

In any event from a practical perspective though I wonder if an offense that runs primarily in this setting (and I'm not saying Dallas will) will be able to stretch the field on a consitently.

I'm guessing not........

Interesting piece. But I still think our defense matches up wonderfully with Dallas because of one player: Sean Taylor. As long as he's in there - no worries. He can take away any player who has the hot hand. And I'll take my chances with Rogers and Springs one-on-one against the other threats. We also drafted the best cover-LB in college with McIntosh. I'm sure either he or Washington would be fine on Fasano.

The best way to attack the Skins is to spread us out with 4 Wrs or 3 Wrs and an athletic TE. I believe the Giants/Colts match up best with our defense (out of the teams we will be playing).

Wow, what a surprise.

All's perfect in Washington with no worries whatsoever.

No matter what anyone else does, the Skins got it covered.

Its incredible they havent won a Super Bowl. ;)

I can't remember, who made the playoffs? Was it Dallas or Washington?

Oh, that's right. I guess the 'Skins have had it covered. But thanks for playing anyway. :)

This is where the offense is headed

By Pat Kirwan - NFL.com Senior Analyst

(May 17, 2006) -- Just before I came on the air for my daily radio show at Sirius Radio last week, Bill Parcells was being interviewed and I listened to what the Tuna had to say about where he thought NFL offenses were headed in 2006.

Parcells made a very interesting point about why his Cowboys selected tight end Anthony Fasano (Notre Dame) in the second round. The Cowboys, like every other NFL team, has multiple needs. And unlike many other teams, the Cowboys already have an elite tight end in Jason Witten. Parcells said, "There are more favorable matchups right now in the NFL when you can come out in two-tight end sets than there are when you come out in three-wide receiver sets." It is a very powerful statement about NFL offenses and defenses. I thought I would break down the matchup possibilities and discuss them with coaches around the league.

The defensive coaches stand on the sidelines and wait to see which personnel group enters the playing field before deciding what they will do on defense. So, let's start with the concept of running an offensive personnel group on to the field and the pressures it can put on a defense. If a team sends out two tight ends, two wide receivers and one running back, which we will call ACE personnel, the defense will usually respond with base defense personnel, which is four linemen, three linebackers and four defensive backs. If the defense happens to be a 3-4 package, it switches the number of linemen and linebackers, but the key is it still sends out four defensive backs. The matchup possibilities can favor the offense if it has an athletic tight end like Witten, Jeremy Shockey, Todd Heap, Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez or newcomer Vernon Davis. Some imagination in formations by any decent offensive coordinator and an offense can isolate one of the tight ends on a linebacker or safety and still have a quality strongside running attack option behind the other tight end. For example:

TE...........LT..LG..C..RG..RT..TE

(Witten).............QB..............(Fasano)..... WR.....WR

.......................RB

The quarterback will look to see how the defense is configured to the open tight end side. If he sees a 5-foot-11 safety singled up on his 6-5 tight end, he likes the matchup. If he sees a linebacker out on the open tight end, he likes it even more. If he sees some combination of safety/linebacker out there, he really likes the run options back inside, especially to the opposite of the tight end side. If the defense has any combination of two people on the open tight end and the extra safety in the box for the run game, then the two wide receivers are singled up on the corners with no safety help.

Coach Parcells' point was if he sent in a third wide receiver into the game for one of those tight ends, the defense will sub in an extra defensive back for a linebacker, and that shifts the advantage back to the defense.

The third corner, or nickel corner, on most teams today is a legitimate starter and usually plays more than 50 percent of the plays during the season. He can become a very effective blitzer from the slot. The defense knows there is very little chance for a lead blocker in the backfield to get out there on him, and the defense can disguise man and zone coverage schemes very easily.

.................................................. CB

......TE...LT..LG..C..RG..RT.....WR.............WR

......................QB........................WR

......................RB

Most defensive coordinators code personnel by how many wide receivers are in the game. Three- and four-receiver packages usually dictate five or six defensive back packages. But unless the down-and-distance situation is third and more than 6 yards, Parcells and other coaches with two quality tight ends like their chances against four defensive back defenses for a number of reasons.

They can usually reduce the number of quality blitz and zone dog pressures teams can use against them. They can always motion one of the tight ends into the backfield to create a power lead play from a two-back set. They can create an extra gap to defend by lining up the two tight ends together, and they can get to a legitimate eight-man pass protection scheme if they have to against pressure teams.

I asked an NFL defensive coach to think through the problems Dallas will pose this season in the two-tight end, two-wide receiver, one-running back personnel grouping, and his first comment was, "I'm glad we aren't playing them unless it's in the Super Bowl."

Here are some of the things that look real good on paper for the Dallas offense right now. As one coach said, "Consider the Kansas City offense has rarely had trouble moving the ball in this personnel grouping with Gonzalez and that they don't have Terrell Owens on the field as one of the wide receivers." Dallas can expect a number of opportunities when the opponent "rolls" the coverage to Owens, something teams rarely do against Kansas City or San Diego wideouts. When they do tilt the coverage to Owens, Drew Bledsoe knows he has Witten or Terry Glenn singled up, and the advantage goes to Dallas. If teams try to play Owens as if he wereEddie Kennison, then Owens wins more often than not. One secondary coach said, "Early in the year Witten and Glenn may get a lot more opportunities than Owens, but things will shift back to T.O. later on."

Julius Jones could very easily go over 1,000 rushing for the first time in his career.

As my coaching friend pointed out, "The real winner in the new 'Dallas offense' should be running back Julius Jones. Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Tiki Barber and LaDainian Tomlinson are all great backs, but the running opportunities they get when they set up the offense the right way doesn't hurt their chances. Julius Jones is going to get more rushing plays with a blocker on every defender in the box than he has had in the past."

And, as the coach pointed out, "Bledsoe is the perfect guy to run the show." He will make very good play choices. Do the math! A man and a half on the flexed tight end, Witten, three defenders on Owens and Glenn, and all of a sudden the five Cowboy linemen and Fasano can get everyone blocked for Jones.

As for third down and long, another coach added that if the Cowboys elect to stay in this personnel grouping on third downs in what would be considered very high pass-to-run ratio situations and the defense sends out nickel defense responding more to down-and-distance than personnel grouping, then guys like Bledsoe and Parcells will take the run options, and that will stress the defense even more.

When you look at the possible matchup problems in the red zone, especially with a team like Kansas City, which has been the top point producer over the past few years, it appears Dallas has the matchup game covered again. Also, it's a place Fasano could come alive because he definitely will get linebacker coverage down there, and he could resemble Parcells' old favorite, Mark Bavaro.

For now, it looks like Parcells, by drafting Fasano and signing Owens, finally has built an offense that has all the classic conflicts a coach could want heading into a season. He said he thought the matchups were favorable to a three-wide receiver offense, and the defensive coaches I spoke with agree.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9444769

cowboyuptx: just want you to note I didn't even put you in the No New Threads group for posting the exact same article that had a thread in here an hour before yours. :)

This will remind you of how nice I am, even to fans of rival teams.

And when the day comes where I do have to mess ya up, you'll know it ain't out of bias :D :laugh:

cowboyuptx: just want you to note I didn't even put you in the No New Threads group for posting the exact same article that had a thread in here an hour before yours. :)

This will remind you of how nice I am, even to fans of rival teams.

And when the day comes where I do have to mess ya up, you'll know it ain't out of bias :D :laugh:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Wow, what a surprise.

Its incredible they havent won a Super Bowl. ;)

Hey - the subject is the Dallas offense and how the Skins match up since this is a Skins MB.

Well, in the past 2 seasons against the Dallas offense - I'd say the Skins pretty much do have it "covered." I don't recall your offense doing much of anything in any of the games. Now our defense has improved from a talent standpoint and we can always count on Greg Williams to be in the head of Drew Bledsoe. Like I said, no worries.

this article is a fluff piece, you can substitute the redskins in this article and it will read exactly the same. With Cooley and Fauria you can make the same arguments for the skins offense this season and our WR supporting cast is far superior to T.O. and Glenn's.

It's funny the writer constantly mention's the KC offense when we have the orchestrator of that offense in DC. Our defense will have the luxury of playing against a high powered offense in practice which will make us thouroughly prepared for anything the Tuna and Company have in store.

Yes I do think the Cowboys are going to be very good this year and I definately think they will make the playoffs, I just know the Skins will be better.

i'm not even gonna lie. dallas really could have a great offense. the only thing is that they need a solid o-line. if their o-line stays healthy and plays well, then they really coould do a lot with the offense they have. but i'm just looking forward at the fact that drew bledsoe will being seeing the number 21 after every play. :dallasuck

Dallas' starting tackles will be different than last year. I think Flozell got hurt in week 5 or 6. Dallas will have 3 OL that have made a pro-bowl. Also the two TE set is designed to help our O-line.

I find it interesting how the article mentionsKansas City's propensity to have sucess in the same personell grouping. Hmmmmmm..............

In any event from a practical perspective though I wonder if an offense that runs primarily in this setting (and I'm not saying Dallas will) will be able to stretch the field on a consitently.

I'm guessing not........

Why not? All you're doing is replacing a traditional fullback with a TE?

Way to aim high douchebag:

Cowboys | Jones sets goals for 2006 season

Thu, 18 May 2006 06:26:08 -0700

Mac Engel, of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, reports <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/14/nfl">Dallas Cowboys RB Julius Jones has set his goals for the 2006 season. He believes he will rush for 1,000 yards. "I just want to make it through 16 games," Jones said. "If I can make it through 16 games, I'll be fine." He has had problems with injuries in his first two seasons.

Why not? All you're doing is replacing a traditional fullback with a TE?

Saunders just doesn't call it an HB. However, the TE does move around a lot and some of the players have hinted that defenses will see even more pre-snap movement this year. The only difference I think will be Cooley not lining up in the FB position. However, maybe Saunders will do that too.

Archived