Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is where the Dallas offense is headed (merged)

Angus

Hey - the subject is the Dallas offense and how the Skins match up since this is a Skins MB.

Well, in the past 2 seasons against the Dallas offense - I'd say the Skins pretty much do have it "covered." I don't recall your offense doing much of anything in any of the games. Now our defense has improved from a talent standpoint and we can always count on Greg Williams to be in the head of Drew Bledsoe. Like I said, no worries.

Your logic here is questionable. We'll see what happens.

this article is a fluff piece, you can substitute the redskins in this article and it will read exactly the same. With Cooley and Fauria you can make the same arguments for the skins offense this season and our WR supporting cast is far superior to T.O. and Glenn's.

It's funny the writer constantly mention's the KC offense when we have the orchestrator of that offense in DC. Our defense will have the luxury of playing against a high powered offense in practice which will make us thouroughly prepared for anything the Tuna and Company have in store.

Yes I do think the Cowboys are going to be very good this year and I definately think they will make the playoffs, I just know the Skins will be better.

This feature is about a team and other teams that will run a prodominant 2 TE base offense.

Wow, what a surprise.

All's perfect in Washington with no worries whatsoever.

No matter what anyone else does, the Skins got it covered.

Its incredible they havent won a Super Bowl. ;)

whens the last time the cowboys won a playoff game? i think the first step to get to the superbowl is first to win a playoff game.. u thikn parcells would have won 1 in his 4th year :laugh:

Most defensive coordinators code personnel by how many wide receivers are in the game. Three- and four-receiver packages usually dictate five or six defensive back packages. But unless the down-and-distance situation is third and more than 6 yards, Parcells and other coaches with two quality tight ends like their chances against four defensive back defenses for a number of reasons.

And, as the coach pointed out, "Bledsoe is the perfect guy to run the show." He will make very good play choices. Do the math! A man and a half on the flexed tight end, Witten, three defenders on Owens and Glenn, and all of a sudden the five Cowboy linemen and Fasano can get everyone blocked for Jones.

I just don't think Gregg Williams will "do the math" that way. I don't think he codes personnel the same was as "most defensive coordinators." And he doesn't have to b/c of the versatility of people like Sean Taylor and Marcus Washington, who are both big and fast. The math Kirwan describes has 4.5 defenders on 3 potential receivers. While I can someone with Owens' burst needing 1.5 defenders, I think zones cover what is essentially a 3 receiver set up (2 WRs and 2 halfs of a TE).

Kansas City does seem to have changed the offensive trend in the NFL (which Parcells obviously noticed), but the NFL defenses have noticed the need to adjust and set the defensive trend accordingly, i.e., focus on faster outside linebackers and bigger cornerbacks (see the first two rounds of the draft).

With the author of the KC offense added to GW's defensive packages (coding and all), the Skins have more than enough to compete on the Xs and Os. I'm not minimizing the threat of Dallas' repackaging of personnel (Owens and Fasano), but the "dog fight" that GW described a few weeks ago (i.e., at the outside linebacker and SAFETY positions) makes me think that GW has moved the chess pieces in the X/O game one step ahead of everybody else. Does it occur to anyone that GW might have talked about how to stop a KC-type offense with Al Saunders (the guy who would know the weaknesses of his own offense better than anyone else)?

Well, this is the best explanation I have seen yet for why they selected Fasano when they already had Witten. There are some compelling points (none of which have been mentioned by any Dallas fans in this forum since the draft) but it's a fair assessment, if overly optimistic.

The thing is, Kirwan keeps going back to KC as his gold standard for success, and the architect of that whole philosophy is now in charge of the offense here. So every single thing he says in this article could easily be applied to the Skins. Cooley may not equal Witten, but Saunders will find a way to make it work.

This article just doesn't bother me because he's listing all the exact reasons why we will be every bit as good next year.

I do have two issues with the article.

1. So far Jones has not shown that he deserves to be mentioned when discussing backs like Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Tiki Barber and LaDainian Tomlinson.

2. Is this the first time an offense has taken the field with two tight ends?

I just don't think Gregg Williams will "do the math" that way. I don't think he codes personnel the same was as "most defensive coordinators." And he doesn't have to b/c of the versatility of people like Sean Taylor and Marcus Washington, who are both big and fast. The math Kirwan describes has 4.5 defenders on 3 potential receivers. While I can someone with Owens' burst needing 1.5 defenders, I think zones cover what is essentially a 3 receiver set up (2 WRs and 2 halfs of a TE).

Good points about versatility. It's become a hallmark of our defense and a great way to disguise things. It also creates greater depth and allows us to expand the 45 man gameday roster. Think about it: we just drafted a LB who the staff believes can and will play all 3 LB spots. Marshall has proven he can play 2 of them very well. Washington could play DE in a pinch since he played there in college and occasionally at Indy. Both Daniels and Wynn have experience at tackle on passing downs. Carter has experience at LB. We routinely flipped FS and SS last year and that will continue as AA has experience at both positions. Kenny Wright has some experience at both S and CB. Taylor could (and has) played corner and can matchup with just about any WR in the league as long as it's disguised well.

Someone should do an article on us!

Dallas' starting tackles will be different than last year. I think Flozell got hurt in week 5 or 6. Dallas will have 3 OL that have made a pro-bowl. Also the two TE set is designed to help our O-line.

Flozell is very good at T. But mentioning that Rivera & Fabini made the Pro Bowl doesn't change the fact that they're both over the hill chumps who will get hurt again.

Way to aim high douchebag:

Cowboys | Jones sets goals for 2006 season

Thu, 18 May 2006 06:26:08 -0700

Mac Engel, of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, reports <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/14/nfl">Dallas Cowboys RB Julius Jones has set his goals for the 2006 season. He believes he will rush for 1,000 yards. "I just want to make it through 16 games," Jones said. "If I can make it through 16 games, I'll be fine." He has had problems with injuries in his first two seasons.

LOVE IT! :laugh: :notworthy

Well, this is the best explanation I have seen yet for why they selected Fasano when they already had Witten. There are some compelling points (none of which have been mentioned by any Dallas fans in this forum since the draft) but it's a fair assessment, if overly optimistic.

I think it also explains why JG and AS signed Christian Fauria so quickly (when we already have Chris Cooley, not to mention Mike Sellers).

Way to aim high douchebag:

Cowboys | Jones sets goals for 2006 season

Thu, 18 May 2006 06:26:08 -0700

Mac Engel, of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, reports <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/14/nfl">Dallas Cowboys RB Julius Jones has set his goals for the 2006 season. He believes he will rush for 1,000 yards. "I just want to make it through 16 games," Jones said. "If I can make it through 16 games, I'll be fine." He has had problems with injuries in his first two seasons.

:laugh:

His goals were 1800 yards last season.

Good to see JJ keeps it real.

Hey - the subject is the Dallas offense and how the Skins match up since this is a Skins MB.

Well, in the past 2 seasons against the Dallas offense - I'd say the Skins pretty much do have it "covered." I don't recall your offense doing much of anything in any of the games. Now our defense has improved from a talent standpoint and we can always count on Greg Williams to be in the head of Drew Bledsoe. Like I said, no worries.

And I'm sure you werent worried about the Skins and were 100% confident they would come back in the first game too right?

And I'm sure you werent worried about the Skins and were 100% confident they would come back in the first game too right?

The point was that the Cowgirls didn't do much on offense in that game. They mustered one touchdown on a trick play and two field goals. In the second game, they scored only once in garbage time, once the game was well out of hand.

Last year, we lost 13-10 on last minute mumbo-jumbo, and 18-21 on some total garbage. By my count, you're averaging 13.5 points per game against us the past two seasons, so yeah, no worries. :rolleyes:

The point was that the Cowgirls didn't do much on offense in that game. They mustered one touchdown on a trick play and two field goals. In the second game, they scored only once in garbage time, once the game was well out of hand.

Last year, we lost 13-10 on last minute mumbo-jumbo, and 18-21 on some total garbage. By my count, you're averaging 13.5 points per game against us the past two seasons, so yeah, no worries. :rolleyes:

Plus for all the hoopla about what TO will bring to the Pokes... it might be noted that in his two appearances with the Eagles against a William's Redskin defense... was very ordinary... some would say disappointing, especially in the second game.. with only two short catches and a fumble in the red zone.

Plus for all the hoopla about what TO will bring to the Pokes... it might be noted that in his two appearances with the Eagles against a William's Redskin defense... was very ordinary... some would say disappointing, especially in the second game.. with only two short catches and a fumble in the red zone.

:notworthy :cheers: :notworthy

The article is on point. I do not expect the girls to have a dominant offense next year, but it is definitely improved. They added a very talented WR who will give their other talented recieving targets more opportunities. Fasano is also a solid blocker with decent hands and great size. Their O-line isn't impressive and Bledsoe is a statue, but this was the case last year as well. Given this fact they should be much improved.

BTW Jones and Barber are both quality RBs. The knock on Jones isn't that he doesn't have skills, it is that he is more injury prone than Rex Grossman. If he stays healthy, IF, he will likely break 1200 yds (he has 1800 yds in 21 games [19 starts] to date)and Barber will be able to complement him with a number of yards too (540 yds in 13 games [2 starts]).

Just because we are better doesn't mean they suck. We are just friggin good.

Edit: Lets not forget this is an article about the girls improving their offense, nowhere does it say that the girls have a shot at beating the skins. Lets call a spade a spade.

But dont you think its just a little bit funny when you lose its "on last minute mumbo-jumbo", but when we lose, its not that way it all?

Its not blown coverage when Dallas does it, its Washington just being the better team.

But when Washington does it, it was just a very rare blown assignment, and youre still the better team.

Just something I found interesting.

And take away the 35-7 game from last season, and the Skins havent fared any better vs. us offensively.

One game doesnt make up for 7 years does it?

I think thats part of the point of the article.

Because of all the other weapons Dallas will have, (that the Eagles did not), he should be just fine.

Archived