Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Walker Gets $40+ Mil From Broncos

jimster

Walker's Agent: Deal Done With Broncos Worth at Least $40M

May 9, 5:55 PM (ET) Email this Story

By ARNIE STAPLETON

DENVER (AP) - Javon Walker is set to sign a five-year extension worth more than $40 million with the Denver Broncos, who acquired the wide receiver in a draft-day deal.

"We do have a deal in place," Walker's agent, Kennard McGuire, wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

"I can't give you details," McGuire added, other than to confirm the extension was worth between $40 million and $42 million.

The Broncos have a policy of not discussing financial terms of contracts.

Walker, who is still recovering from a major knee injury he sustained in last year's season opener, is expected to sign the pact Wednesday. The extension will take him through 2011.

Walker, 27, is due to make $1.15 million next season and a $1 million roster bonus, part of the five-year, $7.485 million rookie contract that he signed in Green Bay after joining the Packers as a first-round draft pick out of Florida State in 2002.

Walker began seeking a bigger paycheck more than a year ago after he made the Pro Bowl following the 2004 season, when caught 89 passes for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns. He hired agent Drew Rosenhaus, who said there was no way Walker could risk injury playing for slightly more than $500,000 in 2005.

Walker's summer-long threats to hold out drew the ire of quarterback Brett Favre, who said Walker should live up to his contract, which at the time had two years remaining.

Surprisingly, Walker reversed course and reported to training camp without any assurances from the Packers that they would re-negotiate his contract. Then, in the season opener at Detroit he tore a ligament in his right knee that sidelined him for the remainder of the season.

Walker fired Rosenhaus and hired McGuire, then announced in the offseason that he'd rather retire than play again for the Packers. General manager Ted Thompson gave Walker permission to talk to other teams and the Broncos met with him on the eve of the draft, when they determined his recovery was going well and that they could meet his contract demands.

They agreed on the parameters of a five-year extension and sent the Packers a second-round pick on April 29.

If Walker can return to his pre-injury form, he would become the Broncos' best playmaker and give them a deep threat opposite Rod Smith to open up the offense.

Walker, who has been working out in Arizona, will continue his rehab in Denver, where he'll take a crash course in the playbook but won't likely do any field work until late July.

"The target is to have him ready once we go to camp," coach Mike Shanahan said during the draft. "He is still recovering from his ACL, and I don't want to push him along too quick. He went through all the physicals with our trainers and doctors and he should be ready to go full-speed by the time we start camp."

Some of the contracts WR received this year amaze. Most are okay, not really proven, coming off injury or have on/off field issues. Imagine the contract if a top flight WR withhout "issues" becomes available next season or cut after June.

That makes 6 years/$36 million for a proven commodity with no injury issues look pretty damn good...

Are Len and Peter going to scream about how much he was overpaid like they did with our guys?

Of course not...hacks.

Thats a great move for Denver , and you know they will get one of the best WR's in next years draft ...

I really like the Broncos , the way they run there organization

Not to mention they were dumb enough to give us Clinton Portis ....

This number is meaningless until you know what the guaranteed money is.

There was an article on ESPN.com about it. I think $25 million of it is in the first three years of the deal. It's a good haul for a guy who had one good season.

I think people are going to learn quickly that playing with jake Plummer is a little different than playing with Brett Favre. I'm trying to think of any wide receiver who was even "Serviceable" after leaving Green bay.....

I don't think that they overpaid. Look at the money the Redskins spent on wideouts.

The only thing that matters is how much he helps the team, Denver manages thier cap much like we do. I am sure the numbers are reasonable.

If the Redskins signed him for the same contract we would be defending it like we always do.

Not a knock on either team, I just think as fans we should not throw stones from our glass house.

HAH! I think Shanahan has won how many SB's without Elway? Oh yeah none. I used to have a certain amount of respect for that franchise, thought they did things right. After obtaining Cleveland's entire D-Line last year and now this, I'm beginning to wonder what they're thinking.

HAH! I think Shanahan has won how many SB's without Elway? Oh yeah none. I used to have a certain amount of respect for that franchise, thought they did things right. After obtaining Cleveland's entire D-Line last year and now this, I'm beginning to wonder what they're thinking.

the dline worked out very well for them last year

it is a lot of money, and i highly doubt we'll see anyone in the media bashing it the way they did for brandon lloyd or ARE.. although, i guess walker is more of a proven commodity, he still has some ? marks just like our guys

Man, no wonder the Eagles steered clear. I would have tried to sign him to a relatively short term, average contract with some option years at a higher salary if he did well. Man, that's a lot of money for an injury risk.

Man, no wonder the Eagles steered clear. I would have tried to sign him to a relatively short term, average contract with some option years at a higher salary if he did well. Man, that's a lot of money for an injury risk.

High risk high reward. If he gets healthy and has a pro bowl type year Denver wins. Personally, I think you will not start to see him excel the second half of the season. A new system and that injury takes a little while to get your legs back.

Walker had one great year and then suffered a major injury. This move falls in line as a significant risk for Denver. The fact that Walker's time in Green Bay ended so badly also has to fit into what a team thinks they are receiving in terms of a locker room presence. Walker seems to only be about the money. The team carried him for a couple of mediocre years and then after his breakout year he wanted GB to give him Brett Favre money.

Even though the Redskins gave up players and/or picks to get Moss and Lloyd, both players were healthy when they arrived at Redskins Park and neither seemed to have the baggage that Walker does.

Ok the official numbers are not released. The contract could be 100 mill and it wouldnt matter. Jeez i would think that out of any fans in the league Redskins fans would understand that a huge number doesnt mean dick, untill you know whats garaunteed. If he got 10 mill up from or like 12 total then thats not a bad deal at all. The guy was comin off a top 5 season before the knee injury and has alot of potential if he is healthy. Luckily for him he went down the first game so he has had lots of time to recover. Cant really call the deal bad if we dont know whats actually in it. I mean what if the last two years have base salaries of 10 mill? Then who cares.

The deal includes $15 million in option bonuses, $10 million due in 2007 and the other $5 million due in '08, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reported Monday.

Walker, 27, is due to make $1.15 million next season plus a $1 million roster bonus, part of the five-year, $7.485 million contract he signed after joining the Packers as a first-round draft pick out of Florida State in 2002.

the new deal is a 5 year deal that begins in 2007. The 10 million in 2007 will get prorated over 5 years, so thats 2 mill per year. And the 5 million will get prorated over 4 years, so thast 1.25.

So in bonus money hits it looks like this

2006=0

2007=2

2008=3.25

2009=3.25

2010=3.25

2011=3.25

of course 15 mill leaves 25 in base salary, over 5 years which is an average of 5 mill a year. so each years cap number will be around 8.25 after 2006, however you know the base salaries will be backloaded at least a litte, so look for 2007 to be under 8 and 2001 to be around 10 or 11.

The big thing that i see is if he cannot play well this year or shows signs he wont recover from the knee, it looks as though they can drop him without any real harm done.

If he turns into a star again, then 8 mill a year is about right for a top of the line wr

Walker had one great year and then suffered a major injury. This move falls in line as a significant risk for Denver. The fact that Walker's time in Green Bay ended so badly also has to fit into what a team thinks they are receiving in terms of a locker room presence. Walker seems to only be about the money. The team carried him for a couple of mediocre years and then after his breakout year he wanted GB to give him Brett Favre money.

Even though the Redskins gave up players and/or picks to get Moss and Lloyd, both players were healthy when they arrived at Redskins Park and neither seemed to have the baggage that Walker does.

I totally disagree with this. Walker was not demanding Brett Favre type money. He had a great breakout year, making his value worth more to the team and wanted to restructure. If he was all about the money, he would've hold out until they would've either trade him or pay him. Obviously he didnt.

Brett Favre has a 100 million dollar contract. The last person who should open his mouth and talk about someone else being selfish is this guy. He doesnt have to worry about money with the contract he has. Favre is a hypocrite and I'm disgusted by him. He first came out to the media and said that he is not going to guid Aaron Rodgers and its not his job to help him out. Then, he holds his entire team hostage with his bull**** retirement talk. I wish this guy would just retire(I knew he was full of it and wouldnt). I'm sick and tired of him crying for attention.

Archived