Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

washingtonpost.com: 'Marriage Is for White People'

Destino

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/25/AR2006032500029.html

'Marriage Is for White People'

By Joy Jones

Sunday, March 26, 2006; Page B01

I grew up in a time when two-parent families were still the norm, in both black and white America. Then, as an adult, I saw divorce become more commonplace, then almost a rite of passage. Today it would appear that many -- particularly in the black community -- have dispensed with marriage altogether.

But as a black woman, I have witnessed the outrage of girlfriends when the ex failed to show up for his weekend with the kids, and I've seen the disappointment of children who missed having a dad around. Having enjoyed a close relationship with my own father, I made a conscious decision that I wanted a husband, not a live-in boyfriend and not a "baby's daddy," when it came my time to mate and marry.

Guest sith lord

I hate to say it, but a lot of these women today are getting exactly what they deserved. Most of these woman knew that their man wasn't about nothing when they slept with him. But I really don't know what she means by saying "marriage is for white people."

I hate to say it, but a lot of these women today are getting exactly what they deserved. Most of these woman knew that their man wasn't about nothing when they slept with him. But I really don't know what she means by saying "marriage is for white people."

You might want to read the article then.

Lol, that's a novel idea. Good read, though, very interesting points. I thought the last couple sentences were especially interesting

As one woman said, "If it weren't for the intangibles, the allure of the lovey-dovey stuff, I wouldn't have gotten married. The benefits of marriage are his character and his caring. If not for that, why bother?"

It's another example of the disintegration of the black family. I was blessed to be raised by two black people who loved each other, had sense and did everything they could for me to ensure that I had what they weren't able to get. I probably could not have been as successful in life without their support system. Today, many black men are in jail, doing drugs, on the down-low and not taking any responsibility for their actions. That article shows a major consequence of that.

Guest sith lord

OK, I just read the article and she makes some points but she's wrong on some fronts.

Guest sith lord
It's another example of the disintegration of the black family. I was blessed to be raised by two black people who loved each other, had sense and did everything they could for me to ensure that I had what they weren't able to get. I probably could not have been as successful in life without their support system. Today, many black men are in jail, doing drugs, on the down-low and not taking any responsibility for their actions. That article shows a major consequence of that.

I was on another message board discussing this, what is up with this "down low" thing? There's been guys of all races that have been on the "down low" for years. It's not just a black man thing. I think it's just another stigma/stereotype put on black men.

That is insightful for someone like myself. I never realized that our society, in any area, was declining in such a manner as to say that marriage isn't for them. Don't take this the wrong way, but is this possibly the reason why we see more black children out there causing problems because they don't have the proper home environment? That seems to be what one of the writers friends who works with adolecents was implying. People in this society all over are wondering why we are having a decline in morals of our children across the board, and maybe its because the adults need to own up to their own responsibilities and show what good morals are, act properly, and be an example instead of "just worrying about me" like everyone out there seems to do. Children look up to adults, not just their parents, and maybe if the ppl around these children were getting married and taking care of their children then we wouldn't be seeing all the troubled youth in america, that's across the board, not just black or just white, but everyone.

Interesting. Thanks for posting, falling marriage numbers are something I have recently been following in our country.

In my marriage I have noticed 2 things required for a great marriage.

Men: Love and adore your wife above all others. Show it A LOT!

Women: Praise and respect your husband. Even when you feel he doesn't deserve your respect. You'll be pleased with the result, my wife was.

This is the truth.

It boggles my minds to hear females tell me stories about their relationships these days.

Very interesting article.. Now I can show it to my wife and say "LOOK! This could be you! Now cook me a steak!"

Nah in all seriousness maybe women in general don't have the time or desire to commit to marriage. Women have grown by leaps as far as their careers go in the last 20 years. Life is different. Women have goals outside the home they want to accomplish. I don't see that as a bad thing at all. There should be a balance though.

I bet it would be a better story if she did some fact finding on Occupations vs. divorce vs. Black/White/Asian/Monglolian vs. divorce...

I never will understand how the same people that go to church every single sunday then get divorced because it's toooooo harrrrd! ALL my needs aren't being met...

Divorce should never be based on anything more than:

You made a ill informed decision to marry someone and the decided it was too hard for you to maintain because your lazy... (for the one that ended it)

Its a personal responsibility: NOT a group issue. Other than we are not hard enough on the people that do it..

I've been divorced twice: Me being left... I understand them :) And I'm white.. shocker... And I have my babies...

(one while in Korea in the Army) the other cause I'm impossible...

I'm going to throw another twist into this thing. Something that was briefly mentioned at the end of the article.... the fact that this is NOT just an African-American issue.

I'm a 31 year old, professional, college-educated, caucasian male who has never even been CLOSE to getting married.

Of course part of that is due to the fact that I am about the ugliest human being on the planet. No lie.

The other part of it, though, is largely the caucasian women out there in my age-range these days. I have certain (non-physical) attributes that I look for in the women that I date and that I could ever even consider be married to. They're mostly based on fairly traditional American family values and morals. I've found it nearly impossible to find any women in my age group who fit even a majority of the attributes I'm looking for, never mind one who's anywhere close to the "perfect" mold.

My point: It's not just a black/white thing. It's also a male/female thing.

The other part of it, though, is largely the caucasian women out there in my age-range these days. I have certain (non-physical) attributes that I look for in the women that I date and that I could ever even consider be married to. They're mostly based on fairly traditional American family values and morals. I've found it nearly impossible to find any women in my age group who fit even a majority of the attributes I'm looking for, never mind one who's anywhere close to the "perfect" mold.

It's called LOVE, not shopping for a car.

My suggestion is to try a different approach. :2cents:

I'm going to throw another twist into this thing. Something that was briefly mentioned at the end of the article.... the fact that this is NOT just an African-American issue.

I'm a 31 year old, professional, college-educated, caucasian male who has never even been CLOSE to getting married.

Of course part of that is due to the fact that I am about the ugliest human being on the planet. No lie.

It could also have to do with the fact that you do not believe in the concept of love.

I was on another message board discussing this, what is up with this "down low" thing? There's been guys of all races that have been on the "down low" for years. It's not just a black man thing. I think it's just another stigma/stereotype put on black men.

I'm curious about this as well. I've been reading a lot about this. Seems to be a big issue in the AA community these days.

I think its considered a black thing for two reasons:

1. The name - "the down low" is a 'black term'

2. The book that came out about it (revealing it to most of America) was written by a black man.

:2cents:

Archived