Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New group. You should read :).

Art

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Mods are god. what's so difficult to understand. They write the rules, they pass along the rules... and they enforce the rules. That's the reason why the Redskins formed a merger with ExtremeSkins.... because they like the way the mods do their thing. Believe it or not.

Spoken like a true Mod. (just kidding)

You dont really believe that load of :pooh: . If the Mods are "GOD" what do they need us around here for? Are they just slumming with the common folk? Why even put forth the question?

Basically, If this measure is being taken then for the first time I agree with the idea that it might as well be anyone who has less than a certain number of posts can't start threads. I feel that enough people who have been here a while screw up to set an example for the noobies.

Otherwise, as I've said before, since the merger I think it's hard to enact these widespread rules, because we now represent the Redskins organization, and I'd hate for them to get dragged down with anything we do that is seen as stepping on toes, or restricting of Skins fans.

On a side note, anyone who breaks rules without showing an intent to stay within the framework of ES, should face the consequences, but also be subjected to a good ol' reading of the rulebook so that hopefully they can learn something.

Can all New Users be assigned to this group?

I agree emphatically with those who advocate limiting posting privileges for Cheerleaders, Waterboys, etc. This really would solve a lot of problems, I believe.

Before I joined up officially I lurked here for nearly a year. It's important to develop an understanding and appropriate respect for the community, especially since the merger.

Everybody started out as the avatar's you mentioned. How would you feel if you knew you could contribute worthwhile threads, but weren't able to do so because of a few boneheads?

O'Connor was right. Dictatorship in the US, here we come. :D J/K

Spoken like a true Mod. (just kidding)

You dont really believe that load of :pooh: . If the Mods are "GOD" what do they need us around here for? Are they just slumming with the common folk? Why even put forth the question?

I'm not a mod..... I used to be one :)

No community NEEDS you... you chose to be here so you can speak about your favorite topics with people who share the same interests. It's completely different from people who are hired to maintain the community.

And if it were for me.... I wouldn't put forth the question. I would have just done it... and by the results of this poll... it appears I would have been right ;)

Martini,

Some of what you say is likely true, and, to be honest, the people who do have a problem following the rules are the people we'd kind of like to leave on their own, so, if they're upset, leaving is a sound idea that helps the community.

ES isn't for everyone. The Redskins knew that when they acquired this board as a component of their site. What DH said isn't exactly true, though, there is some truth. The rules are in place to direct the community. A shocking percentage has chosen to simply ignore the rules and flaunt it by suggesting they have a complete free speech right so even if they post something already here, to shut up because they can.

No. They can't.

And, we're GOING to get rid of this element.

Wow. that's a catch 22 really. Good? Yes. Bad? Yes. There are going to be the obvious who deserve it. But, there will also be those who are reputable that will make that occasional honest mistake. So it should be scrutinized carefully and should'nt be use with a quick trigger finger.

Don't worry, we've prevented the quick trigger finger thing by preventing TK from using this group :).

I'M KIDDING :).

does this also include the "this is my 100th or 1000th post" i really can't stand those, unless they come with insightful info on the skins... which they usually don't. I mean i can understand a 10,000th post because that is up there and someone obviously put in the effort. I dunno maybe this is just me.

As far as the no new thread group i think it's a good idea because it gives everyone a chance to follow the rules until someone breaks them instead of punishing people for signing up recently for the site and having a low # of posts.

I for example lurked for a long time before i even signed up but i wouldn't think it was fair if i wasn't allowed to start a thread based on me being a new member.

does this also include the "this is my 100th or 1000th post" i really can't stand those, unless they come with insightful info on the skins... which they usually don't. I mean i can understand a 10,000th post because that is up there and someone obviously put in the effort. I dunno maybe this is just me.

As far as the no new thread group i think it's a good idea because it gives everyone a chance to follow the rules until someone breaks them instead of punishing people for signing up recently for the site and having a low # of posts.

I for example lurked for a long time before i even signed up but i wouldn't think it was fair if i wasn't allowed to start a thread based on me being a new member.

While some find those posts worthless, they do help build community, as introduction posts do. In those cases you can simply move beyond them because they are titled well and you know you don't like them and they are fairly few and far between. If I ever saw 10 a day or more, I'd probably start worrying :).

How about for the first week you write notices to the people who you WOULD have put in the group and see how often you end up having to write notices? See if you end up with writing too many notices, how often people admit to being wrong vs whining and such, and dont forget, this poll is bias, because people who would read other posts before putting up their own thread wouldnt be here... :laugh:

I'm not a mod..... I used to be one :)

No community NEEDS you... you chose to be here so you can speak about your favorite topics with people who share the same interests. It's completely different from people who are hired to maintain the community.

And if it were for me.... I wouldn't put forth the question. I would have just done it... and by the results of this poll... it appears I would have been right ;)

I think you summed it up in your own words "you chose to be here so you can speak about your favorite topics with people who share the same interests"

Dont get me wrong I am not trying to be difficult, as I mentioned earlier this might be a good idea. Fortunately I dont have to live with the decision. I will come here no matter what. The rules are meant to be followed and anyone who decides to display an utter disregard for them should be dealt with swiftly.

I like coming here and will continue regardless. These things usually snowball rather quickly, it starts with people having their right to start new threads revoked and then escalates to who knows what.

It is dangerous ground.

Hardass talk notwithstanding, when it comes right down it, it's going to be very hard indeed for anyone to seriously make a case this is an unfair or heavyhanded new application.

We will use this tool as we use every other moderating tool---on a case-by-case basis, and applied with the intent of bettering the community. It will not be used capriciously.

We will not be perfect in every instance. To expect otherwise would be foolish. But we will have the community's best interests in mind, both when we elect to use the application, and, when appropriate, when and if we take someone back OFF the "no new thread" list.

Meanwhile, let's please not insult one another's intelligence by trying to turn this "yet another example of The Man trying to keep us down." It's not. It's your fellow Redskins fans, who happen to run this message board, doing what they've tried to do since Day One ... create an on-line Redskins community that best serves the common interests of the vast majority of that community, as we best see fit. When we find a new tool to try to help in that mission, we're going to use it.

It's really not any more complicated, or ominous, than that.

IMHO it's a good idea if it would consolidate the threads enableing us get our information easier.

There will always be those that are goofy and don't pay attention to what's going on with the board, on a mission to post. Then there are those who think the rules don't apply to them. Hopefully, Art this will make some people pay more attention in this great place.

I wonder if some of these people park in the fire lane in front of the grocery store or pass me in the HOV lane by themselves? GRRR whoops I'll shut up before I'm in trouble.

I think you summed it up in your own words "you chose to be here so you can speak about your favorite topics with people who share the same interests"

Dont get me wrong I am not trying to be difficult, as I mentioned earlier this might be a good idea. Fortunately I dont have to live with the decision. I will come here no matter what. The rules are meant to be followed and anyone who decides to display an utter disregard for them should be dealt with swiftly.

I like coming here and will continue regardless. These things usually snowball rather quickly, it starts with people having their right to start new threads revoked and then escalates to who knows what.

It is dangerous ground.

RIGHT to start new threads? Dangerous ground? Interesting...I was unaware ES had a Bill of Rights! I know they have rules....maybe I missed the right to start a thread rule! Perhaps there will be a revolution one day! :laugh:

Seriously though...there are 50,000+ on this board. I think I've started 4 threads. Chances are someone has already said what you want to say. Just look for it, maybe even add to it, but no need for a new thread for everything!

By the by...I don't necissarily agree with post count being a factor(to all that say it should)...there are some here who like to think they contribute and don't have 1000 posts yet....

I think it is a good idea. I mainly come to read and post rarely. If it is the same old crap posted by 16 different people, I will skip over it most of the time.

I don't think there are any awards given out to people who make the most new threads so I would say take it easy and see what everyone else has put up first.

OH NO!!!!!! I don't have over 250 posts, my opinion here must be stupid!!! (Note the sarcasm)

Anyway, I think a stern PM to a person who screws up once should be in order before being placed into "the group." Everyone messes up once; even the mods aren't perfect. (or are they?) Basically make a two strike rule. If the member does not change their ways after the PM then KILL THEM!!! I mean, put them in the new group.

EDIT: with this being said, I never start new threads so if you skin 'em alive I don't care too much.

I like the idea, I haven't been a problem in the past so I don't have to worry. Most of the questions I had already have been answered. I do have one though, will there be a test period to see how it works or will it be a permanent rule of the board?

It's a good idea, but not allowing people with less than 100-250 posts to start threads would solve all ills on this board.

:2cents:

im opposed to both methods, but this is just a horrible idea. why is it when a message board is created, people who join believe that post count indicates the worth of an individual? as far as art's idea why stop there? you can monitor all posts within threads, and banish all people who post something you disagree with. :rolleyes: id start with all the people who post some lame comment about "this post closed in 3...2...1....". ignorant messages like that are only adding to that person's post count and upping them closer to the "elite" status.

ive actually been a member here for awhile (alot longer then some that have thousands of posts), i just dont post very often. i do however read the board daily. but i may have to change that habit, as im not a big fan of the direction the board is going. :( :mad: :doh:

Many in this country have forgotten that with great Freedom comes great Responsibility. Having the right of Free Speech does not absolve you of the Responsibility to use it wisely and frankly if you do not accept the Responsibility then I think you give up the right.

Great idea, do it.

I'm just a pinko, commie, liberal, and I'm against censorship in any form it takes, especially on an open forum such as this.

Reposting of same subject topics is a problem, yet is it any worse than some of the personal attacks I see posted on a daily basis? Or the "that's cool", or "that sucks" posts that just lengthen threads?

I've been with this site (in its, and my, different incarnations) for many years; long before it was even Extremeskins, and find now that I read far more than I post. This is a tact I urge many to take. If you have nothing to actually add to the conversation beyond "yeah, I agree," or "no, you're an idiot," let me suggest you keep your fingers still.

Maybe Chat Rooms could be an answer? Where their are no rules, or, at least the rules are very lax? I'm not sure of the answer, but if censorship is it, it makes me very afraid.

Archived