Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New group. You should read :).

Art

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't post new threads very frequently, in fact I've done it once or twice. I try not to post anything, mostly b/c I don't want to ripped for "useless" information or old information.

I do think it would make sense to keep repeat offenders from posting new threads which have been posted 10 times in the span of 24 hrs!!!

I think it's a good idea under the assumption that everyone uses a descriptive thread title. Sometimes people create titles that don't really address what the topic is REALLY going to cover, especially when those threads have no factual basis or are solely opinion.

I think maybe placing a search button within the new thread function could reduce the number of people who post redundant threads. Or implement a function within the post button that automatically scans the title thread, complaring it with every existing thread title up to a certain point. If a person was forced to see any pre-existing threads on the topic he is about to post before he actually posted it, it would help to resolve this issue.

Of course, people who are unable to clearly enough state their main topic of their thread within their title and end up posting a already spoken on subject, could be put in this thread ban group for their inability to clearly state their topic and such.

Just a thought.

I voted in favor of this idea because we all know there are people on this board who never take the time to search if a topic is there before just starting a new thread. As a new member we were all required to read the rules about posting and there are a great deal of us who use the search feature before starting a new thread, however there are those "few" who just ignore it. Since it is not the majority of the people I do not think the rest of us will be missing out on much if their ability to start new threads in removed for a while.

I do not agree that all new members should be placed in this group until they have reached a certain number of posts. As you can see, I still have not reached 500 posts and I've been here 2 years, yet I am one of those people who search topics first before I post and if were still a cheerleader or waterboy I would be offended if I had done nothing wrong against the rules but my ability to start a new thread was limited.

I like the idea for those people who prove time & time again that they can not use a search feature and abuse the rules, but the list should not extend to all new members because many new members do follow the rules and post correctly.

To Art & the other Mods: While I agree with some that ES should have done this a while ago & doesn't need to take in the views of the members before putting this into effect, I applaud all of you :applause: for your willingness to put the issue before the members for a vote and discussion. Having done that, there can be no crys of "the man trying to keep us down" & "limiting my free speech" because in those types of "communities" a vote & discussion like this would not have even taken place.

i do however read the board daily. but i may have to change that habit, as im not a big fan of the direction the board is going. :( :mad: :doh:

The truth is.... the ES Staff could have incorporated this easily (without telling anyone)... and no one would have been the wiser. That's how seemless the practice is.

To say you'd leave because you don't appreciate the practice is utterly absurd.

To say you'd leave because you don't appreciate the practice is utterly absurd.

being a fan of the team does not require being an active member of this board. to be honest, ive been sitting here reading responses to this thread and wondering what the team's view of this sort of change would be (as the board is associated with them now)? something like this could lead to bad press, and im sure mr snyder doesnt want that happening.

Maybe Chat Rooms could be an answer? Where their are no rules, or, at least the rules are very lax? I'm not sure of the answer, but if censorship is it, it makes me very afraid.

I always thought the chats were a good idea for game days instead of the game day threads, but chats tend to produce spamming and a whole lotta people talking and no one listening... and these were in 24 person AOL chats. 1,000 in one at one time... wow.

im opposed to both methods, but this is just a horrible idea. why is it when a message board is created, people who join believe that post count indicates the worth of an individual? as far as art's idea why stop there? you can monitor all posts within threads, and banish all people who post something you disagree with. :rolleyes: id start with all the people who post some lame comment about "this post closed in 3...2...1....". ignorant messages like that are only adding to that person's post count and upping them closer to the "elite" status.

ive actually been a member here for awhile (alot longer then some that have thousands of posts), i just dont post very often. i do however read the board daily. but i may have to change that habit, as im not a big fan of the direction the board is going. :( :mad: :doh:

This isn't about agreement with an opinion. It's about posting the exact same information repeatedly, or, presuming such vast importance to your words that you leave an existing conversation to have your say on the same topic in your own space.

Nothing in the idea I've proposed mentions or impacts the post count of anyone. Nothing has anything to do with the content of a post in terms of opinion. So, when you ask why stop here, I have to ask why would we go further, since nothing else you reference as a problem has been hinted at AS a problem?

If you are put off by a community that requests it's membership to post anything they want, only to try to do so within existing conversations that may cover the topic, then, it's probably good if you don't hang out so much, because this isn't a new direction. It's ALWAYS been the direction. Some have just decided to ignore it.

I think it would be based on you as a member and how you handle it. If you understand, post in existing threads and not pout, it'll be a short period of time and you can PM any of the staff and say, "Hey, think I could come out of the group?" If you whine about it, it'll probably be forever :).

Kind of like a penalty box--I like it!

I'm just a pinko, commie, liberal, and I'm against censorship in any form it takes, especially on an open forum such as this.

Reposting of same subject topics is a problem, yet is it any worse than some of the personal attacks I see posted on a daily basis? Or the "that's cool", or "that sucks" posts that just lengthen threads?

I've been with this site (in its, and my, different incarnations) for many years; long before it was even Extremeskins, and find now that I read far more than I post. This is a tact I urge many to take. If you have nothing to actually add to the conversation beyond "yeah, I agree," or "no, you're an idiot," let me suggest you keep your fingers still.

Maybe Chat Rooms could be an answer? Where their are no rules, or, at least the rules are very lax? I'm not sure of the answer, but if censorship is it, it makes me very afraid.

Explain to me what portion of this idea has any relationship with censorship?

being a fan of the team does not require being an active member of this board. to be honest, ive been sitting here reading responses to this thread and wondering what the team's view of this sort of change would be (as the board is associated with them now)? something like this could lead to bad press, and im sure mr snyder doesnt want that happening.

You know how many threats the Redskins and ES has had regarding going to the press about "forum" matters? Anybody who would even entertain such a proposition is a verifiable loon.

The team brought aboard a 3rd party staff because it didn't have the background in dealing with the largest online NFL community... even before the merger.

The Redskins know about the rules of the board. And they are proponents of their enforcement.

OH NO!!!!!! I don't have over 250 posts, my opinion here must be stupid!!! (Note the sarcasm)

Anyway, I think a stern PM to a person who screws up once should be in order before being placed into "the group." Everyone messes up once; even the mods aren't perfect. (or are they?) Basically make a two strike rule. If the member does not change their ways after the PM then KILL THEM!!! I mean, put them in the new group.

EDIT: with this being said, I never start new threads so if you skin 'em alive I don't care too much.

This is also a good idea--couldn't this just be handled through a PM warning?

This is also a good idea--couldn't this just be handled through a PM warning?

You're assuming a few things:

(1) That this hasn't already been tried for the last 6 years

(2) That people READ their PMs.

(3) That people actually care enough to follow the suggestions of moderators... at the expense of their own time and effort.

The team is very big on the rules of the community. They were when they approached us as to possibly using this as their fan community. They are now. Nothing in this could lead to bad press any more than the ban group or read-only group which have existed on every message board community in the world. This is simply something LESS than keeping members from being able to express themselves while at the same time compelling them to pay attention to the rules.

Since every other group we have has GREATER penalty than this group, it's unlikely making a LESS punishing group would lead to bad press. Understand, we could simply ban all members who do it or put them on a total read-only blackout. But, we've felt that's too harsh, yet, the insistence on being able to post the exact content anywhere you want leads us to look to another method of enforcing simple rules we were MUCH more comfortable with the community standards enforcing on their own.

I totally agree with the new group idea as long as we can also put those folks who keep posting new threads about "Madden" and "Fantasy league" type trades .

That would encroach upon the content of a post. We're not going that route.

I am new here so will not try to act like I know what is best for this site. I agree with the legislation because frankly there aren't that many relevant topics that arise every day. I would take the measure a step further and say that only mods/admins can create a thread. If it's new they can post it, and if its not, we can all take a minute and search for previous posts.

I really disgree with people who say this is censorship. That's pretty uninformed, as they are not telling you what you can and can't say. You can still voice your opinion in an already created relevant thread. If no relevant thread exists, you can send a message to a selected group who will act as a filter, and then post credible, intelligent threads.

I'm a newbie so i don't want to step on toes(yes i do), but this will improve the quality of this site.

Guest santana4prez
Can all New Users be assigned to this group?

I agree emphatically with those who advocate limiting posting privileges for Cheerleaders, Waterboys, etc. This really would solve a lot of problems, I believe.

Before I joined up officially I lurked here for nearly a year. It's important to develop an understanding and appropriate respect for the community, especially since the merger.

I agree if Extremeskins sets a limit of 100-250 posts it will make the person try to earn the privilege to start threads and make that guy work harder to only post threads that havent been posted before.

I really disgree with people who say this is censorship. That's pretty uninformed, as they are not telling you what you can and can't say. You can still voice your opinion in an already created relevant thread. If no relevant thread exists, you can send a message to a selected group who will act as a filter, and then post credible, intelligent threads.

Exactly. I thought it was pretty straight forward. It's discouraging to see people misinterpret pretty simple instructions.

You know how many threats the Redskins and ES has had regarding going to the press about "forum" matters? Anybody who would even entertain such a proposition is a verifiable loon.

The team brought aboard a 3rd party staff because it didn't have the background in dealing with the largest online NFL community... even before the merger.

The Redskins know about the rules of the board. And they are proponents of their enforcement.

for your information i wasn't making a threat, just an observation of something i fealt could become an issue if the wrong person was irritated by being placed in such confines.

I am new here so will not try to act like I know what is best for this site. I agree with the legislation because frankly there aren't that many relevant topics that arise every day. I would take the measure a step further and say that only mods/admins can create a thread. If it's new they can post it, and if its not, we can all take a minute and search for previous posts.

I'm a newbie so i don't want to step on toes(yes i do), but this will improve the quality of this site.

This option would be called a "moderated" forum. Like our Redskins.com Audio forum or fan chat forum, where everything posted is read and approved before release. We won't ever go that route here. We enjoy most of the conversations here so much we're trying to find a way to keep giving them the attention they deserve rather than forcing them off the board with repeat threads.

90 percent of this community cares as witnessed by the poll. The rest will have to comply or leave.

Archived