Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About FedExField

Mark The Homer

They go about 214 to 229. They extend across the entire visitor side of the field. And a lot of those seats are very good and even excellent. Mark has a nice summary in the beginning of this thread. The first couple rows have no obstruction, are under cover, and significantly cheaper than other LL seats.

I wouldn't say that "a lot" of them are very good. I've checked it out back there when sitting in the lower level. Maybe the first couple of rows are good.

The overhang is so low that the window of visibility closes drastcally when people get on their feet. Which tends to happen a lot at a football game. So, even if you don't have a pillar in front of you, your view is still obscured and you still get tunnel vision. You have to remember that this stadium was NOT DESIGNED to have seats there. So even adding a couple of rows flies in the face of the design philosophy. If there were actually decent seats to be had back there, don't you think the original designers would have put some back there? It's not an accident that they didn't.

The real problem with those cave seats is that you need to be a true Fed Ex Field historian to really know what seats blow and which ones don't. Pretty much the only guy in the world who really knows which of those cave seats are tolerable is Mark the Homer. For everyone else, it's a complete crapshoot, even if you study this guide.

The only reliable policy is to avoid those seats altogether. I don't find them - with their tunnel vision, pillars, reduced incline, and egregious overhang - to be any kind of a bargain. Maybe the first row or two but even then, you really don't know what you are getting into unless you are Mark The Homer.

Best avoided at all costs.

I wouldn't say that "a lot" of them are very good. I've checked it out back there when sitting in the lower level. Maybe the first couple of rows are good.

The overhang is so low that the window of visibility closes drastcally when people get on their feet. Which tends to happen a lot at a football game. So, even if you don't have a pillar in front of you, your view is still obscured and you still get tunnel vision. You have to remember that this stadium was NOT DESIGNED to have seats there. So even adding a couple of rows flies in the face of the design philosophy. If there were actually decent seats to be had back there, don't you think the original designers would have put some back there? It's not an accident that they didn't.

The real problem with those cave seats is that you need to be a true Fed Ex Field historian to really know what seats blow and which ones don't. Pretty much the only guy in the world who really knows which of those cave seats are tolerable is Mark the Homer. For everyone else, it's a complete crapshoot, even if you study this guide.

The only reliable policy is to avoid those seats altogether. I don't find them - with their tunnel vision, pillars, reduced incline, and egregious overhang - to be any kind of a bargain. Maybe the first row or two but even then, you really don't know what you are getting into unless you are Mark The Homer.

Best avoided at all costs.

I know a lot of the cave dwellers will disagree with you. We have a number on this board who love their seats because they cost a lot less than anything else on the LL and the views from, yes, a lot of those seats are pretty good for what is being paid. If it is not for you, fine. But a lot of fans on a budget like those seats.

As long as there is fair warning about the seat limitations, it is up to the purchaser to decide if it is a fair deal...and considering most of them get sold each season as season tickets, I'd say there is a market for them. So Snyder adding them was a fan-friendly thing to do that you complain so much about, and was a revenue addition for him.

And since they are now sold on a walk up basis so that the purchaser can sit in the seat prior to buying, the purchase knows exactly what they are getting for their money....no need to be a stadium historian....and no crapshoot at all.....in fact, they know their seats better than any of us in the auto upgrade process.

As long as there is fair warning about the seat limitations, it is up to the purchaser to decide if it is a fair deal...and considering most of them get sold each season as season tickets, I'd say there is a market for them. So Snyder adding them was a fan-friendly thing to do that you complain so much about, and was a revenue addition for him..

Wow. I never knew that the creation of the worst seats in NFL was "fan-friendly" but hey I guess the $29 seats are technically the cheapest way to get in, even if you have a better view of the game from the concourse.

I would say that many of these seats are bought by scalpers on "walk up day" who are NOT fans. They are bought - dirt cheap - for the sole purpose of reselling them. That's why Ebay and stubhub are inundated with ads for these seats at relative (to other lower level seats) bargin prices. Sell a pair of $29 seats for $100 and you are still making a good profit.

I think it's fair to say that a large number of these seats end up being bought by Redskins fans who really have no idea how bad they actually are. You certainly can't tell from the ads on Ebay or Stubhub.

For the most part, Fed Ex - and Redskins ticket buyers - would be much better off if they had never been created.

I think it's fair to say that a large number of these seats end up being bought by Redskins fans who really have no idea how bad they actually are. You certainly can't tell from the ads on Ebay or Stubhub.

I would agree with that statement. My 2nd FedEx experience (long before I knew about ES existing), I accidentally ended up in horribly obstructed seats, but thankfully was able to talk my way into paying an upgrade with the ticket office and landed great seats by the time kickoff started.

Now - thanks to Mark's knowledge, I'll never make that mistake twice, but there are certainly a lot of people who still get easily confused by these tickets and end up with them without knowing any better.

You seem like a nice guy....but if anyone on here offers to host your group at a tailgate or offer advice on how you can buy tickets or parking passes, we should permanently ban that member. :evilg:

My only advice....buy some upper level end zone seats..... :ols:

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 12:07 PM ----------

come on...think about what HOF was trying to do.....maybe reading my reply will be a bigger bat over the head? :D

LOL the endzone thing was funny as hell man. -- We are going to probably try to get visitor sideline, or endzone, LL seats anyways, but thanks for the "heads up", haha.

Panda, if you or a couple of your Jet people were to show up at the ES tailgate, I think you'd be welcome. I enjoy meeting fans from around the league.

However, given that your fanbase's reputation is level w/ Philthy on the conduct meter, there's no way I welcome a big group of you.

We can't stop you from coming, but you'll need to obtain your trip planning advice elsewhere.

Have a great game. Our fans are generally nice people and I think you'll enjoy your visit, if you stay classy.

Panda, if you or a couple of your Jet people were to show up at the ES tailgate, I think you'd be welcome. I enjoy meeting fans from around the league.

However, given that your fanbase's reputation is level w/ Philthy on the conduct meter, there's no way I welcome a big group of you.

We can't stop you from coming, but you'll need to obtain your trip planning advice elsewhere.

Have a great game. Our fans are generally nice people and I think you'll enjoy your visit, if you stay classy.

Jets fans get a bad wrap, we really do. We are nowhere on the same level of Philadelphia, and I can assure that my friends and I are not a group who is going to cause a problem. Are we going to cheer for our team? Sure. Are we going to engage in friendly smack talk? Of course, but we're more than welcoming to visiting fans to our tailgate and we have and will continue to act appropriately on the road, too. If we could manage to not get into any trouble in New England and Pittsburgh in the playoffs, which we did manage, we won't get into any trouble in Washington. -- Trust me RFKFedEx, we won't be looked upon as a burden or a troublesome group. Yes we like to drink, but we don't get drunk, and yes we like to have a good time, but we're realists and we'll have a fun time with the Redskin faithful.

Jets fans get a bad wrap, we really do. We are nowhere on the same level of Philadelphia, and I can assure that my friends and I are not a group who is going to cause a problem. Are we going to cheer for our team? Sure. Are we going to engage in friendly smack talk? Of course, but we're more than welcoming to visiting fans to our tailgate and we have and will continue to act appropriately on the road, too. If we could manage to not get into any trouble in New England and Pittsburgh in the playoffs, which we did manage, we won't get into any trouble in Washington. -- Trust me RFKFedEx, we won't be looked upon as a burden or a troublesome group. Yes we like to drink, but we don't get drunk, and yes we like to have a good time, but we're realists and we'll have a fun time with the Redskin faithful.

Sounds like you are a great bunch of fans....you do it the right way. I hate fans, some of our own included, who go way past the smack talking and start insulting and getting physical. The Philly fans are truly the worse fans in football. The only Jet fan I know is my father-in-law; I guess he's not such a bad guy.

Sure you won't reconsider those end zone seats? In another thread, there is information from Dan Snyder how you can buy two for $250. They're even portable! Sounds like a great deal for you and your buddies! :D

Sounds like you are a great bunch of fans....you do it the right way. I hate fans, some of our own included, who go way past the smack talking and start insulting and getting physical. The Philly fans are truly the worse fans in football. The only Jet fan I know is my father-in-law; I guess he's not such a bad guy.

Sure you won't reconsider those end zone seats? In another thread, there is information from Dan Snyder how you can buy two for $250. They're even portable! Sounds like a great deal for you and your buddies! :D

LOL -- You know you guys are getting a bargain by being able to buy the old seats two for $250. For a pair of seats at Giants Stadium it was $500.

As for Philadelphia, yeah, they're insane. We were discussing as a group whether we should do Baltimore, Washington or Philadelphia and Philly was almost immediately eliminated because of the horror stories a couple of our members had when we last played there in 2003. Baltimore is an hour closer, but it's a Sunday Night game and that might be a problem for some of our group, and since one of my co-founders' birthday is December 2nd, we decided Washington would be a great option since it's a 1pm game, an NFC team so we don't expect any huge problems from fans, and a birthday celebration, all in one.

I've always wanted to head down to FedEx, and one of the guys who went in 2003 said it was one of the most beautiful stadiums he's been to, so I'm excited.

We'll be tailgating in full force with hopefully some people from this board, an you won't miss the 15 or so green jerseys, but we'll be more than respectable and humble.

I've always wanted to head down to FedEx, and one of the guys who went in 2003 said it was one of the most beautiful stadiums he's been to, so I'm excited.

One of the guys who went in 2003 must have had a lot of beer. :ols:

Seriously though, beautiful is not a word I would use to describe it. "Impressive" might be more apt. It is hella big.

Seriously though, beautiful is not a word I would use to describe it. "Impressive" might be more apt. It is hella big.

Its probably a matter of perspective. Considering the Jets played in the old Giants Stadium, which was close to 30 years old at that point, I can see how the place might have looked palatial to some. My mother and I went to a Skins-Eagles game at the stadium in the late 90s and my mother told me later than on the train back Eagles fans were saying "how nice of a stadium they have down there," which was probably true compared to the old Vet.

I do wish the place had been built with a nicer exterior, though. Then again, the pictures I've seen of the outside of New Meadowlands don't excite me.

Its probably a matter of perspective. Considering the Jets played in the old Giants Stadium, which was close to 30 years old at that point, I can see how the place might have looked palatial to some.

Then again, the pictures I've seen of the outside of New Meadowlands don't excite me.

Your first point -- dead on accurate. I loved GS, I was probably one of of about three Jets fans who did, but most hated the place.

As for your second point about NMS .. yeah .. it looks like a cell phone tower that was formed in the shape of a bowl on the outside -- we often joke about it being our prison because you can also make that out, too. Inside, it's really nice. It actually does feel like our own stadium, and since we actually really do split this one 50/50, unlike GS, it is our own stadium. The home field advantage is definitely a lot better, and our video boards in each corner are superb and something I've never seen. Much better than having an annoying jumbotron in the middle of the damn field like Dallas has. That thing is a disgrace. NMS is a nice stadium .. but was it worth $1.6 billion? NO. There should be a retractable roof on the thing, IMO. -- And forget about sitting in the Upper Tier. The fourth row in the Upper Tier in NMS is as high as the last row in GS .. basically if you sit past Row 4 in the Upper Tier in NMS .. bring binoculars. I know a lot of people who aren't renewing or who buckled to buy PSL's because of how it is up there.

Overall it's a nice stadium and I enjoy it, but it's nothing to write home about. There could be a lot more color on the outside and on on the inside before you get to your seats. The concourse is very much like the outside -- gray. They try to liven it up a bit, but until you get to your section it's pretty bland.

Re the OV seats, my daughter, DLSF, has repeatedly told me she'd rather sit in our 20% obstructed view seats downstairs then on the sidelines upstairs with a full view. "There's more energy down there," she says. And there's a lot to be said for that.

I think this definitely means that we'll be trying to locate Lower Level seats when we come down in December. -- Surprised that the Upper Tier isn't rowdy.

This may sound like a stupid question, but does FedEx Field have escalators, walking ramps or both? I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I went to Gillette Stadium (New England) in 2006 and saw that I would have to walk about 30 ramps to get up to the Upper Level because it's "too cold" to have escalators up there (horse ****, the Meadowlands has always had escalators and it gets just as cold if not colder -- cheap **** Kraft).

We have one escalator for the entire upper deck. Going up is worth the wait. Coming down is another story. Our ramps are the longest and highest of any stadium I've ever been to including NE. I didn't walk up the ramps in New Meadowlands since I sat in LL, but the jaunt is probably comparable in Landover.

We have one escalator for the entire upper deck. Going up is worth the wait. Coming down is another story. Our ramps are the longest and highest of any stadium I've ever been to including NE. I didn't walk up the ramps in New Meadowlands since I sat in LL, but the jaunt is probably comparable in Landover.

What about for the Lower Level? Is there an escalator for it or is it a stadium like New England's where you basically enter and you're there?

The LL concourse is on ground level. When u walk through the turstiles to enter the building, ur on the lower level. Sitting downstairs saves an average of about 10 mins when arriving and leaving seats for the day.

OBTW, I did find it strange that the LL concourse of the New Meadowlands has three different platforms. For those unfamiliar w/ the New Meadowlands, the most expensive outdoor seats are in the lower club level between the 25 ydlines, on both sides. LL Club patrons enter the building on ground level, no steps, elevators, or escalators. The rest of the LL patrons have to climb a 40 ft staircase to get the GA concourses around the endzones. There is no midfield seat access for GAs in the LL.

Panda I was very impressed with the parking staff at the NM. The tailgating was more spacious than I expected. The were no battles with tailgate party patrons and later arriving vehicles bc each lot was filled in order, and closed off once at capacity. The pedestrian bridges go over the vehicle roads around the stadium, thus no battles between peds and cars.

What about for the Lower Level? Is there an escalator for it or is it a stadium like New England's where you basically enter and you're there?

On the N-NW side of the stadium, walking from the parking lots, there are steps you have to walk up to get to the LL concourses

But everywhere else around the stadium, walking into it, there are no stairs to walk up.

The club level at fedex, you can either walk up the ramps on each corner of the stadium to get to it, or inside the stadium, there are 2 escalators that take you to the club level only, 1 is on the North side concourse, the other is on the South side concourse next to the stadium store.

There is only 1 escalator to the UL at FedEx, and that is on the SW side of the stadium, and is always packed. This was not around until after Dan Snyder bought the team

Panda I was very impressed with the parking staff at the NM. The tailgating was more spacious than I expected. The were no battles with tailgate party patrons and later arriving vehicles bc each lot was filled in order, and closed off once at capacity. The pedestrian bridges go over the vehicle roads around the stadium, thus no battles between peds and cars.

Yeah, that's on one side .. on the other side is where I tailgate and there's no pedestrian bridges, but it's run the same. The tailgating is nice and spacious and the security definitely will come around and make us adhere to the one spot for one car policy, but since our tailgate goes about 30 cars long, we're thankfully able to spread out. Also, I think our parking lots have a lot of space in between cars unlike other stadiums .. our parking lots are pretty big.

I'm not sure how it is once at the Meadowlands if you aren't there when the lots open because I can't remember the last time I wasn't there an hour prior to the gates opening, but the people who role in around 10, 1030 for a 1pm kickoff usually have little problems.

---------- Post added June-26th-2011 at 08:52 PM ----------

On the N-NW side of the stadium, walking from the parking lots, there are steps you have to walk up to get to the LL concourses

But everywhere else around the stadium, walking into it, there are no stairs to walk up.

The club level at fedex, you can either walk up the ramps on each corner of the stadium to get to it, or inside the stadium, there are 2 escalators that take you to the club level only, 1 is on the North side concourse, the other is on the South side concourse next to the stadium store.

There is only 1 escalator to the UL at FedEx, and that is on the SW side of the stadium, and is always packed. This was not around until after Dan Snyder bought the team

Thanks.

I think this is yet another reason that we'll be trying to buy mostly LL seats.

Archived