Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About FedExField

Mark The Homer

:D Hey Mark,

I took my tape measure to the Ravens game. Seats in Section 109 are 18.5 inches between each arm rest. The seat is 17 inches deep from front to back.

I am a very large guy. I swear this seat is a tad wider, maybe an inch, than my old seat in Section 424 row 5.

Did you remember your tape measure? :silly:

I know......I need to get a life......

Cool. That's the same measurement I got. 18.5 inches between the arm rests.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=256327

Odd thing about seats in that 109 endzone is they look different. The seat backs are straighter and flatter. If you compare pics using the redskins.com site, you can see they are different. But they apparently are not different in width, as I didn't think they were.

What we need to find is the width between arm rests in the Cave.

Thanks for your help, Sir. :)

How many false starts has FedexField caused? Its not seat related. Well partially it is I guess. I just wondered if anyone had any idea.

I'm glad you asked that question.

I've kept the FedExField false start database updated in painstaking and intimate detail and I've been updating it and documenting it routinely since the Cardinals game in Sept of '97. Hang on a sec while I look that up...

:silly:

Cool. That's the same measurement I got. 18.5 inches between the arm rests.

Odd thing about seats in that 109 endzone is they look different. The seat backs are straighter and flatter. If you compare pics using the redskins.com site, you can see they are different. But they apparently are not different in width, as I didn't think they were.

What we need to find is the width between arm rests in the Cave.

Thanks for your help, Sir. :)

Your welcome. The first 12 rows are on aluminum floorboards...or whatever it is called. Starting in row 13, the seats are anchored into concrete. Not sure if they measure differently. I guess I could check at a future game. Interestingly, row 14, which is my row, starts out with seats anchored to aluminum floor boards for about the first 15 seats on the right (behind/over the Redskins tunnel) and then the next 15 are anchored to concrete where I sit. I assume all those seats anchored to aluminum are removable so that large items can be moved from under the stadium onto the field; for example concert setups.

I noticed something else about those seats in the first 12 rows. People were rocking them back and forth like they are loose. Seems like a safety issue to me.

I am not sure about this but I think the seats installed on the aluminum panels added to the endzones are the same ones installed in the cave. If so, they should be narrower than the original seats. The easiest way to tell if they are the new narrower seats is to look at the armrests. They are almost non-existent on the newer seats compared to the real armrests on the original seats.

Here's what 109 used to look like. The tunnel was wider and taller. You can also see the lower rows of 109 have flat backs.

http://seatdata.com/images/nfl_redskins/1024x768/109.jpg

109 is across the field...

http://seatdata.com/images/nfl_redskins/2048x1536/130.jpg

Snyder took over and shortened and narrowed the tunnel to install more seats. You can see the aluminum decking. The seats and arm rests look the same from this pic though.

http://www.redskins.com/images/tickets/seats/lg-sec209.jpg

109 is across the field and the tunnel is significantly smaller...

http://www.redskins.com/images/tickets/seats/lg-sec129.jpg

Homer, were those smaller seats in 109 installed with the Field Club seats in 2000? Or did they appear later when the FC seats were expanded; around the time that the TG Club was born in '03 I believe it was?

Those narrower chairs were (and probably still are) marketed as premium seats. Few premium customers probably ever made note that they were paying more for less. The tunnel and the Hogettes being the bait.

I am not sure about this but I think the seats installed on the aluminum panels added to the endzones are the same ones installed in the cave.

This Mark is what I'm basing my assumption on. The seating in the cave has been long believed to be narrower than the 1997 models from JKC, although never confirmed.

OK...OK...I'll walk down a couple rows at the Dallas game and find out the story behind the "upright" seats in section 109. Sheesh.....Mark's appetite for all things FedEx Field is insatiable! :silly:

Would you like me to take a seat sample to determine the seat composition while I'm at it? Do you need the seat height and the leg room dimensions, also?

Perhaps I can look for a date on the bottom of the seats to satisfy RFK's curiousity? :D

Maybe I'll walk around to the Cave and measure the seat width.

Maybe I'll actually get to watch some of the game.......:D

I am not sure about this but I think the seats installed on the aluminum panels added to the endzones are the same ones installed in the cave. If so, they should be narrower than the original seats. The easiest way to tell if they are the new narrower seats is to look at the armrests. They are almost non-existent on the newer seats compared to the real armrests on the original seats.

Actually....the easiest way is to measure the distance between the arm rests.

OK...OK...I'll walk down a couple rows at the Dallas game and find out the story behind the "upright" seats in section 109. Sheesh.....Mark's appetite for all things FedEx Field is insatiable! :silly:

Would you like me to take a seat sample to determine the seat composition while I'm at it? Do you need the seat height and the leg room dimensions, also?

Perhaps I can look for a date on the bottom of the seats to satisfy RFK's curiousity? :D

Maybe I'll walk around to the Cave and measure the seat width.

Maybe I'll actually get to watch some of the game.......:D

?

I don't have any concern about 109.

Others have mentioned they think the seats are narrower in the cave, so yeah, I wonder about that...

Those flatbacks appear to be in the lower section of 109 closest to the field. Is this the area with the aluminum floors? I didn't think it was. Maybe these flat back seats were simply replacements for some reason. Also it looks like they have the best armrests that actually can be folded. Take a look.

It appears that there are at least three different type of seats in the lower level:

1. the originals

2. the narrow ones in the cave

3. the lower section 109 flatbacks

I am now not sure whether or not the upper endzone aluminum floor seats are the same as the cave seats.

Flatbacks. I like it. A new term for FedExField seating. :)

I am pretty sure the flatbacks are original seats. The pic below is old. It's probably from the year 2000.

It looks like the flatbacks span across from 109 through 113 for the first 12 rows. You can see they stop where the aluminum deck stops. The raised arm rest is cool. Another unique feature of FedExField.

http://seatdata.com/images/nfl_redskins/2048x1536/128.jpg

The flatbacks appear to be only in the lower endzone seats between the tunnels. From the pic the sun reflects differently off of these seats. I think all the other regular seats at Fedex are curved.

Section 132 lowers are curved as shown in the second pic.

Those flatbacks appear to be in the lower section of 109 closest to the field. Is this the area with the aluminum floors? I didn't think it was. Maybe these flat back seats were simply replacements for some reason. Also it looks like they have the best armrests that actually can be folded. Take a look.

It appears that there are at least three different type of seats in the lower level:

1. the originals

2. the narrow ones in the cave

3. the lower section 109 flatbacks

I am now not sure whether or not the upper endzone aluminum floor seats are the same as the cave seats.

4. padded seats in 242 :)

075.jpg

Is there any update on the possible early opening of the FedEx parking lots for Dallas? I know Snyder had said he wanted to do something like this but I've heard nothing for a couple of weeks.

Given the NFL's push to cut down on rowdy behavior, I'm wondering if they might have stepped in and put the kabosh on this.

Anyone know anything?

Nope.

And I don't agree that it'll promote rowdy behavior. :)

In fact, I think it will have a calming effect - not only within stadium grounds, but throughout the metro area. :)

In fact, I hope it will have such a calming effect, that Mr. Snyder will be tempted to expand lot openings to eight hours prior for all remaining games for 2010 and beyond. :)

Archived