Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP/Wilbon - In the Blame Game, It Goes Both Ways

JimmiJo

Ok, now all at once, everybody let go of the Lavar testicle swing.

Please.

He hasn't been that good and who cares if he was once the one bright spot on a overall horrible team.

He's a headcase that we don't need on our now competitive team. He could be replaced by any number of average players and the defense would be just as good and likely even better. Not to mention his 10% of our cap no longer being an issue.

Can someone please refresh my memory? I can't seem to remember all these great plays from #56 that make him worthy of being considered 'great' and being the highest paid player on the team.

I can remember:

Knocking Aikman out.

INT return for a TD sparking us to the first win for Marty.

Strip of Kurt Warner to win the game vs. Rams during Spurrier's first season.

Great game vs. the Jets on opening night (Thursday night) for Spurrier.

What else?

He had the INT against Tampa in the playoffs this year, but any LB could have caught that, the ball was tipped right to him. Pay the man $12 mil!

Sorry, unless my memory is really wrong, Mr. Arrington is a lot of hype and much less actual production. Perhaps he was mismanaged early in his career. But don't great players overcome that? He is the poster child for Snyder's early years: lots of money, lots of hype, lots of attention, not such great production.

I just find it really interesting that all along Lavar was preaching to anyone who would listen about how he'll always be a Redskin, or he'll retire before he plays for another team...I mean his words.

But when it came down to it, it was he who gave up his money to get out. When he had the chance to come back, injury free and dominate, yet he chose door number two. Does everyone just gloss over this fact? I'm not saying that he wouldn't have a good reason to go but the guy has some serious bi polar issues going on.

Let's see.

Lavar will soon be going to a new team.

That new team will have a Defensive Coordinator that is new to Lavar.

That DC will have a scheme that is new to Lavar.

Will the new team accept that built-in excuse if he doesn't perform up to their expectations?

No way.

But we should have?

Give me a break.

I enjoy reading LaVar haters trying to make excuses as to why Wilbon isn't right. All Wilbon is citing is FACTS.

Sorry, it isn't a fact that the Redskins wanted to get rid of Lavar, unless you are calling Gibbs a liar.

It's pathetic to read people who's irrational dislike for LaVar has clouded any objectivity when it comes to his time here in DC.

And it is pathetic to read people defending Lavar when the emperor has no clothes.

Are you Redskins fans, or Lavar fans?

Jason

Sorry, it isn't a fact that the Redskins wanted to get rid of Lavar, unless you are calling Gibbs a liar.

I don't think Gibbs is a liar. I don't think Gibbs is always completely truthful either.

Anyone who had ever watched sports should have known that Lavar was in his last year with the Redskins last October. Whatever song and dance Gibbs and Williams were giving to the media was not reflective of reality.

And that's fine. Gibbs has every right to decide who is on the team and who is not on the team. But I find the idea that everything Gibbs says to the media and the fans as gospel to be the height of absurdity.

Uhh... The Redskins did want him. It was Lavar who left.

Sure, he had a lot of turnover in coaches early on, but now that things have finally stablized, he now wants to leave?

So Mike, you want to start a gimpy guy just because QBs are scared of him? I'm sure they'd find out quickly then that he's hurt and take advantage of it.

Wilbon, you've gotten lazy in your old age.

Jason

Give me a break. the realtionship was soured on both ends. To say the Skins wanted to keep him is a joke. They wanted Lavar out just as much as he wanted to leave. Don't be naive.

Oh and by the way, I am a Skins fan. But I have respect for Lavar. I doubt you even see his injury when he plays next year.

And that's fine. Gibbs has every right to decide who is on the team and who is not on the team. But I find the idea that everything Gibbs says to the media and the fans as gospel to be the height of absurdity.

It's not about what Coach Gibbs says. It's about what he doesn't say. He never once publicly threw a player under the bus. How many times did LaVar go to John Thompson's show with his "whoa is me" nonsense last year, then flat-out lied and said he didn't know why he wasn't playing.

Gregg Williams said LaVar knew why.

Dale Lindsey said LaVar knew.

Shawn Springs said LaVar knew.

Were they all lying, too?

It's not about what Coach Gibbs says. It's about what he doesn't say. He never once publicly threw a player under the bus. How many times did LaVar go to John Thompson's show with his "whoa is me" nonsense last year, then flat-out lied and said he didn't know why he wasn't playing.

Did we ever find out a reason for him not playing. It was all speculation and rumor. Was he too dumb? Was it his injury? Did he not listen to the coaches? How dare Lavar want to play football!! How can he even ***** about not playing? I would love to see what a saint you are when you are completely frustrated....

Having grown up in Western PA, I've known about Lavar since he was about 17 years old. He's still a legend in the WPIAL, a league that has probably produced more legends than any high school conference in the country.

I followed him at Penn State, where he had a great career...but one that never quite lived up to expectations unfortunately. And I've followed him as a Redskin, where he had a good career...but one that never quite lived up to expectations unfortunately.

I do think that Lavar was snakebitten here to some degree. And part of that was his own fault. He has always been emotional and has always needed a lot of structure around him, which is why Penn State was perfect for him. He knew when he arrived that there that Paterno and Sandusky (who retired after Lavar's last game) were pretty much always going to be there for him and were always going to guide him with a pretty careful hand. I think he relied on that and needed that.

So to come here and go through Norv and Robiskie and Marty and Spurrier and Gibbs and Lewis and Edwards and Williams and everyone else certainly hurt his development. He needed that steady hand and never got it. And when things soured with Gibbs and Willaims (and it is obvious they did), he was not capable of dealing with it. I think he saw it as "We finally have stability and the coaches don't want me." Again, this is partly his fault. Not it's just the way he is.

Samuels and Jansen are the only ones to go through the same thing Lavar has. But there has been more stability on offense and it's not like tackles are asked to do radically different things in any system. Besides, both have different personalities. (And to be honest, I've never been that big a fan of Samuels).

I think that if he had gone to Philly or Pittsburgh or even Baltimore, where they were was one head coach and limited turnover on the defensive side of the ball, he might have become the other-worldly player we thought he could be.

At 27, I don't think he can do that now. But I do think that in the right system with the right guidance, he can become an All-Pro again.

No. Lavar handled the last two years pretty poorly. He deserves a lot of blame. But, as I said in another post, I think that's just the way his personality is - to his detriment.

But listening to Gibbs and Williams last year, anyone with a brain could tell that they had no need for Lavar. You could tell he was going; it was just a matter of how. And anything they said about wanting him to stay was mostly a negotiating tactic.

Did we ever find out a reason for him not playing. It was all speculation and rumor. Was he too dumb? Was it his injury? Did he not listen to the coaches? How dare Lavar want to play football!! How can he even ***** about not playing? I would love to see what a saint you are when you are completely frustrated....

The Coaches owed us no explanation, but Gregg Williams said everything was about the injury. Was he being nice? Who knows, but that was what he said.

There will be people in LaVar jerseys ready to call the Coaches liars, regardless the reason.

"There will be people in LaVar jerseys ready to call the Coaches liars, regardless the reason."

I don't have an LA jersey. I agree that the staff - Joe Gibbs - went out of his way to keep LA. that is why I don't buy into the freelancing liability argument.

Joe comes out looking pretty good in my book...unlike just about everyone else connected to this Peyton Place little drama.

btw....LA did land up playing.....why is that if he was such a detriment?

"btw....LA did land up playing.....why is that if he was such a detriment?

Gregg Williams would comment on how LaVar was getting up to speed on a fairly regular basis. Whether it was the injury (which Williams insists all-along as the culprit) or LaVar's grasp of the scheme, then I guess it depends on when he was out.

Just because LaVar is gone is no indication that Warrick Holdman is going to be the starting WSLB next year.

The reason LaVar didnt play was simple. He wasnt up to football speed, and he himself admited it later. Maybe the papers didnt publish it because it simply made him look like a good guy, and we couldnt have that. Its hard to come back from injury and be back to football speed in no time, and thats why he was slow starting again, from both Greg Williams mouth and Arringtons.

LA was not a detriment to the team, all the players liked him, got along well with him, and Williams thought he was important enough to start. The coaches THEN made an offer to allow him to stay on as a Redskin, and earn the money in his contract. They dont keep players on the team they think are a detriment. Arrington made the decision to go for a fresh start.

Having grown up in Western PA' date=' I've known about Lavar since he was about 17 years old. He's still a legend in the WPIAL, a league that has probably produced more legends than any high school conference in the country.

I followed him at Penn State, where he had a great career...but one that never quite lived up to expectations unfortunately. And I've followed him as a Redskin, where he had a good career...but one that never quite lived up to expectations unfortunately.

I do think that Lavar was snakebitten here to some degree. And part of that was his own fault. He has always been emotional and has always needed a lot of structure around him, which is why Penn State was perfect for him. He knew when he arrived that there that Paterno and Sandusky (who retired after Lavar's last game) were pretty much always going to be there for him and were always going to guide him with a pretty careful hand. I think he relied on that and needed that.

So to come here and go through Norv and Robiskie and Marty and Spurrier and Gibbs and Lewis and Edwards and Williams and everyone else certainly hurt his development. He needed that steady hand and never got it. And when things soured with Gibbs and Willaims (and it is obvious they did), he was not capable of dealing with it. I think he saw it as "We finally have stability and the coaches don't want me." Again, this is partly his fault. Not it's just the way he is.

Samuels and Jansen are the only ones to go through the same thing Lavar has. But there has been more stability on offense and it's not like tackles are asked to do radically different things in any system. Besides, both have different personalities. (And to be honest, I've never been that big a fan of Samuels).

I think that if he had gone to Philly or Pittsburgh or even Baltimore, where they were was one head coach and limited turnover on the defensive side of the ball, he might have become the other-worldly player we thought he could be.

At 27, I don't think he can do that now. But I do think that in the right system with the right guidance, he can become an All-Pro again.[/quote']

And what coaching system is more stable than Philly, Jim Johnson is a great Defensive coordinator and he isn't going anywhere. They have Andy Reid and he aint going anywhere. They have Jeremiah Trotter who Lavar loves. You're probably going to see Lavar at the Linc next season and My bet is right now that we will regret it. I sure hope not but I don't want him ending Mark Brunnells career.

Archived