Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP/Wilbon - In the Blame Game, It Goes Both Ways

JimmiJo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/06/AR2006030601641.html

In the Blame Game, It Goes Both Ways

By Michael Wilbon

Tuesday, March 7, 2006; Page E01

LaVar Arrington should have played his entire career with the Washington Redskins. He should have won a championship here. One day, he should have had his name put in that ring of honor, or whatever the Redskins call it, right alongside Sonny and Sam and Riggo and D. Green. He should have retired as one of the all-time greats the club has ever had because he came to Washington with as much raw talent and as much passion as you could pack into one linebacker.

It seemed he would be more than capable of playing the most thrilling, most glamorous position there is on defense: the position of kill the quarterback. Arrington worse jersey No. 56, Lawrence Taylor's number. And instead of laughing at the notion, at what could have been perceived as pure conceit, we watched him when he was 22 years old and thought, "It's not so far-fetched. In time, maybe he'll be that great."

Click on link for full article...

I met Khary Cambell tonight at the Ed Block Courage Foundation reception in Baltimore and I asked him what he thought about the whole Lavar situation. He said he was pretty shocked and didn't know what was going on and mentioned that he could be playing for Dallas and I was like God I hope not. I didn't really take it seriously but after reading two WP articles it could be possible.

The Redskins don't want him, but that doesn't mean he's finished or that he can't make it back to the Pro Bowl or that he can't help a team win a championship.

Uhh... The Redskins did want him. It was Lavar who left.

Sure, he had a lot of turnover in coaches early on, but now that things have finally stablized, he now wants to leave?

So Mike, you want to start a gimpy guy just because QBs are scared of him? I'm sure they'd find out quickly then that he's hurt and take advantage of it.

Wilbon, you've gotten lazy in your old age.

Jason

Never really have been a big fan of Wilbon, this article has changed nothing.

Does it matter who wrote it? It's "truer" then any post we've hasd on thre matter.

Thanks WB.... Well done

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Once emotions subside, he will sign somewhere he can start completely fresh. I also don't see the Eagles or G-Men investing that much money into another defensive player....The Eagles are building their lines while the G-Men signed Pierce to a big deal and already have two high priced defensive ends to rush the passer. The Cowboys are a possibility, but LA said it himself that it might be difficult for him to play there. My call is San Diego.

Interesting that there are players on both sides of the ball that have suffered pretty much the same thing LaVar did, but yet none of their growth seems to be stunted. I guess Wilbon forgot that part.

Theres only 1 other, and thats Chris Samuels.......

Once emotions subside, he will sign somewhere he can start completely fresh. I also don't see the Eagles or G-Men investing that much money into another defensive player....The Eagles are building their lines while the G-Men signed Pierce to a big deal and already have two high priced defensive ends to rush the passer. The Cowboys are a possibility, but LA said it himself that it might be difficult for him to play there. My call is San Diego.

Steelers are his team.. could sneek in for low dough.....

I just don't agree with Wilbon and everyone else on this message board that our mismanagement pre-Gibbs is the reason the Lavar situation got out of hand. I mean lets get real, Jansen and Samuels have been around just as long if not longer then LA. When Gibbs & Co. came in they took it as an opportunity to finally play up to thier potential. They didn't come out with a "you show me" attidue like LA did at that time. If Lavar had such a huge problem with the turnover here he shouldn't have signed the extension with the Skins a couple of years back. He could have acted like Champ and been traded.

That takes me to another point. When we were looking at restructuring LA and Champ it came down to the Skins having to choose one or the other. Champ's attitude towards the Redskins was negative and he would always (and still does) take subtle jabs at them in the media. LA was looked at as the heart & soul of the team and he was chosen by Snyder to be the franchise player. Snyder invested money and resources into making LA the face, and the heart of his team. How does LA re-pay him?? By accusing Snyder of cheating him out of millions. After investing all that money, resources, and time into a player who he had a good relationship with AND choosing over Champ, this is the treatment he got. Can anyone here really blame Snyder if he felt ill will towards LA after all of this?? Snyder gets a bum rap and at times deservedly so, but not in this situation. He made a committment to LA and LA responded with a grievance against him as opposed to the agents who dropped the ball.

Also again, LA should never have accepted the responsibility and opportunity Snyder was giving him unless he was willing to buy into the new coaching staff and if he wasn't to leave the past behind. Jansen and Samuels are proof that he could have moved past it.....

What is it with you guys and always comparing one player to other players on the team? PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT! Certain personalities clash. Some relationships work and some don't. Obviously there was a lot going on behind the scenes that we will probably never know, besides rumors and hearsay. Blame Lavar, blame the team, do as you see fit but you must realize that it might not be THE TRUTH. He gets his chance at a fresh start and we free up cash, just like he said himself, both sides win in this case. There really is no reason for all the bickering and banter over whose to blame because this is probably one the most friendly endings either side could ask for.

In the end, it looks like this staff believes the only way to move beyond the mistakes of the past (from either end) is to move on with a new core in the future....A few players made it through the turnover but they were the players that really bought in and forgot about the past. I don't understand then why harping on things that happened 3-4 years ago benefits anyone...

What is it with you guys and always comparing one player to other players on the team? PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT! Certain personalities clash. Some relationships work and some don't. Obviously there was a lot going on behind the scenes that we will probably never know, besides rumors and hearsay. Blame Lavar, blame the team, do as you see fit but you must realize that it might not be THE TRUTH. He gets his chance at a fresh start and we free up cash, just like he said himself, both sides win in this case. There really is no reason for all the bickering and banter over whose to blame because this is probably one the most friendly endings either side could ask for.
we'll see how "friendly"when lavar ends brunell's career.

Arrington really is loved here, like nobody else playing currently for the Redskins, like nobody playing for the Wizards or Capitals.

I think this isn't really true anymore. It may have been true in the dark years of the Redskins/Wizards, but not now...

we'll see how "friendly"when lavar ends brunell's career.

...and then theres you people that sware Lavar Arrington is The Terminator of QBs like they all just drop like flies in his presence. Get over it guys, it was very cool and he'll always be remembered from that, but that was it and that was a loooonnnggg time ago. The guy can hit but he's not the LT you're making him out to be.

I think this isn't really true anymore. It may have been true in the dark years of the Redskins/Wizards, but not now...

Have you seen all the Lavar threads? Regardless of what he's done lately, he was still pretty much "the man" on the Redskins up until the offense blew up this past season and he didn't even play but a few snaps in 04.

Theres only 1 other, and thats Chris Samuels.......

Jon Jansen? Bottom line... tons of money was invested in LA to make him what he once was. LA then griped about his contract, even though he has made a TON of money in endorsments, appearances, etc. All this thanks to Snyder making him "The Face" The current staff isn't the one that "may" have screwed up LA, and they still gave him a choice to stay here. LA opted out, and is the ONLY one to blame (maybe his agents too)

Oh, and as for him griping about his contract. He was right to gripe, he just griped to the wrong people. His agent screwed up, and he though the team did.

As for him opting out, how can you blame him? Hes had so much turmoil, he needs a fresh start. Much like Ramsey. You dont like him but then when he leaves in a move that you think is best, and he thinks is best, and the team thinks is best, you criticize it?

Arrington made mistakes. So did the redskins FO, for a LONG time. We all know how unsuccesful those teams were, how bad they were, how much turnover there was. There were very few redskins who played on all those teams, and NONE on defense. We have very few defensive players who have been here since before Williams became DC. Let bygones be bygones(or however they spell it... and WHAT the heck are bygones?).

Archived