Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Officially renamed - How NOT To Be A Stoopid N3wb

CowboySlayer

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again. People are slamming the newcomers w/out giving them a chance to iron out the wrinkles in regards to posting. I don't care if they start a thread on a topic that was already discussed or not. Merge it and let them know that they should follow the guidelines. If it becomes a recurring problem then take the necessary action. Not the constant belittlement that occurs on a regular basis.

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again. People are slamming the newcomers w/out giving them a chance to iron out the wrinkles in regards to posting. I don't care if they start a thread on a topic that was already discussed or not. Merge it and let them know that they should follow the guidelines. If it becomes a recurring problem then take the necessary action. Not the constant belittlement that occurs on a regular basis.

...but watching noobs bash noobs for being noobier is kinda funny.

Irony is funny to me.

I'm kinda new here and I mostly just read the posts at this point. I have yet to start a moron thread (haven't started a thread at all yet, but if I did, it would probably be a moron thread :D ), and I don't really plan on it since there always seems to be threads like this one a dime a dozen on here. No need to add more fuel to the fire, I guess.

Anyways, maybe one day I'll take that step and add my name to the new guys who start dumb threads... I'll give it another month. :cool:

I'm kinda new here and I mostly just read the posts at this point. I have yet to start a moron thread (haven't started a thread at all yet, but if I did, it would probably be a moron thread :D ), and I don't really plan on it since there always seems to be threads like this one a dime a dozen on here. No need to add more fuel to the fire, I guess.

Anyways, maybe one day I'll take that step and add my name to the new guys who start dumb threads... I'll give it another month. :cool:

I found I dramatically limited my stupidity level, scottie, by doing the same thing when I arrived. I probably posted about 6-10 times the first six monthe and didn't start any threads, just read. I've started a grand total of 20 since I arrived. I think there's a lot of ego involved for many thread-starters to get "recognized" or in assuming they're the only one that has had that thought, and that's a big part of the "stupid" problem. And like starting a thread on a message board is some socially-noted/vauled achievement :laugh:

Enjoy, scottie :cheers:

exactly. im new here and my first few threads were horrible(they still are) and I get bashed for writing them. i think i just need more time to get used to everything. maybe not though :D

I found I dramatically limited my stupidity level, scottie, by doing the same thing when I arrived. I probably posted about 6-10 times the first six monthe and didn't start any threads, just read. I've started a grand total of 20 since I arrived. I think there's a lot of ego involved for many thread-starters to get "recognized" or in assuming they're the only one that has had that thought, and that's a big part of the "stupid" problem. And like starting a thread on a message board is some socially-noted/vauled achievement :laugh:

In case anyone skipped this.

im new here and my first few threads were horrible(they still are) and I get bashed for writing them. i think i just need more time to get used to everything.

See.

Sometimes it's a better idea to just hush up for a bit until you get the lay of the land & then start introducing yourself. You'll get bashed less, you'll have time to get the tone of the board, & you'll be much more likely to have a better experience & possibly make some new friends here. That's how I started here. I joined on July-8th-2002 & never even posted until December-10th-2002.

And like starting a thread on a message board is some socially-noted/vauled achievement :laugh:

Oh man, I thought if you start as many threads as you can that the mods would give you special treatment (referencing a weird thread I read earlier today), bubba would copy and paste your name into the posting hall of fame, andyman would personally give you a visit and tell you everything he knows about the Skins, and Joe Gibbs would call you and tell you how great of a fan your are. So none of this is true? Darn, this pressure is not worth it. :laugh:

In seriousness, thanks for your kind words Jumbo. Hopefully I can grow to be an extremeskin just like you. :notworthy :D

Now I shall dissapear back into the newbie shadows.

See.

Sometimes it's a better idea to just hush up for a bit until you get the lay of the land & then start introducing yourself. You'll get bashed less, you'll have time to get the tone of the board, & you'll be much more likely to have a better experience & possibly make some new friends here. That's how I started here. I joined on July-8th-2002 & never even posted until December-10th-2002.

Good point TK. I signed up, March 15th 2005 and did not post until July 25th 2005. My first thread was July 30th about the hold-outs.http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107211&highlight=praise_gibbs.

I read to get a feel for the board. Once I felt I knew what was going on I posted. I always think to myself when I decide to start a thread, "it more than likely has been already posted atleast twice." I do not even bother using the search feature because I am just about never wrong about it already being posted. That dumb thought has saved me a lot of bashing and saved the Mods to have to either merge or delete the previously posted thread.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: and even a ROFLCOPTER with LOLERSKATES!!

And I even quoted myself. With a double post!! Ring of Fame avatar here I come!!

EDIT: Dubya tee eff. you guys fixed it so I can't double click Submit????

And I even quoted myself. With a double post!! Ring of Fame avatar here I come!!

Thanks for bringing so much to the conversation.

You know what they say, if you're not part of the solution...........

My bad TK lol, I thought this was the "free pass to do newb things" thread. But if it's input you want then it's input you'll get.

I don't think people who first join realize how many people are actually a member on this board, and how many people are viewing threads at any given time. Especially since the merger with Redskins.com. I think with the merger, there have been a lot of new people joining. I think once they take a few bumps and bruises they'll see how expansive and how freakin fast things move on here. I rarely if ever try to post anything to break any news because I know I'm not constantly looking for news and so there will probably be 2-3 threads about the news already. Basically, the search button is king.

In addition, I think there needs to be a fair give and take on both parts. People need to minimize the ridiculous threads (a couple hypothetical examples would be, "how about TO as our second receiver" or "Ray Lewis as our MLB?"). Sometimes, rarely, these types of threads can get people thinking in ways they hadn't thought before, but rarely. On the other hand, if the veterans on this board want this community to continue to grow, newbs should be given a couple get-out-of-jail-free cards. Give them a chance to learn, of course at the same time, some will never learn. Some don't realize what's pushing too far, and we don't need that either. In the end you want to increase the number of people who become part of the community and frequently have valueable input into the conversation and that needs to be fostered. But at the same time, I think we need people like Art and yourself TK, to filter out those that never have anything worthwhile to say, and just don't seem to get it at all.

My bad TK lol, I thought this was the "free pass to do newb things" thread. But if it's input you want then it's input you'll get.

I don't think people who first join realize how many people are actually a member on this board, and how many people are viewing threads at any given time. Especially since the merger with Redskins.com. I think with the merger, there have been a lot of new people joining. I think once they take a few bumps and bruises they'll see how expansive and how freakin fast things move on here. I rarely if ever try to post anything to break any news because I know I'm not constantly looking for news and so there will probably be 2-3 threads about the news already. Basically, the search button is king.

In addition, I think there needs to be a fair give and take on both parts. People need to minimize the ridiculous threads (a couple hypothetical examples would be, "how about TO as our second receiver" or "Ray Lewis as our MLB?"). Sometimes, rarely, these types of threads can get people thinking in ways they hadn't thought before, but rarely. On the other hand, if the veterans on this board want this community to continue to grow, newbs should be given a couple get-out-of-jail-free cards. Give them a chance to learn, of course at the same time, some will never learn. Some don't realize what's pushing too far, and we don't need that either. In the end you want to increase the number of people who become part of the community and frequently have valueable input into the conversation and that needs to be fostered. But at the same time, I think we need people like Art and yourself TK, to filter out those that never have anything worthwhile to say, and just don't seem to get it at all.

Wow. Nice save. :applause:

Actually Scottie your comments point to a decided lack of the stupidity required to do some of the things we've witnessed around here recently. I guess it's sorta like the old adage that if you think you're crazy you're probably not.

Welcome. May you post much and some others post little:cheers:

To add to what TK said.....

Here we have a prime example of somebody who thinks they know what makes this place tick, while actually not realizing what matters around here.......

Post counts don't mean squat around here unless there backed up by quality thought that contributes to the discussions at hand. High post counts don't demand respect, it has to earned with solid input to the forum. Ten thousand post of the type you display here will only make people view you for what you come off as................

:cheers:

I think I read this board for over a year before I registered and made my first post. Wish more of these noobs would do something similar.

Doubting that, maybe a thread a day started would be a good idea for noobs with less than 6 months here.

Archived