Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Officially renamed - How NOT To Be A Stoopid N3wb

CowboySlayer

Here's an idea for a game that can help make anyone a better member for their own and everyone else's enjoyment :)

Think to yourself: "what sort of comment/stance could I make in a post/thread-starter that I think would be stoopid?" Then ask yourself if you ever make those kind of comments. If the answer is "yes" it gives you something to work on. ;)

Also, ask yourself: "what sort of things do others do that I think are stoopid?" Then, try not to do those things yourself. :silly:

It's fun, it's easy, and it's only a start :D

See.

Sometimes it's a better idea to just hush up for a bit until you get the lay of the land & then start introducing yourself. You'll get bashed less, you'll have time to get the tone of the board, & you'll be much more likely to have a better experience & possibly make some new friends here. That's how I started here. I joined on July-8th-2002 & never even posted until December-10th-2002.

I am new here, just two months and have started threads. In response to some threads, they were either ignored or got some good feedback. I have learned a few things as well, like not giving input to every thread. But by posting a new thread when I first arrived, I had the opportunbity to make a new friend as a result. Living in South Florida it is hard to come by Redskins fans so by taking initiative and creating a new thread, I have made friends with another Redskins fan down here.

This forum is awesome, but I can't stand when people think that just because some one is new, that they don't have anything to contribute. Get real people.

I am new here, just two months and have started threads. In response to some threads, they were either ignored or got some good feedback. I have learned a few things as well, like not giving input to every thread. But by posting a new thread when I first arrived, I had the opportunbity to make a new friend as a result. Living in South Florida it is hard to come by Redskins fans so by taking initiative and creating a new thread, I have made friends with another Redskins fan down here.

This forum is awesome, but I can't stand when people think that just because some one is new, that they don't have anything to contribute. Get real people.

It's not, in most cases, that new members don't have anything to contribute, it's what they contribute. Mind you, you don't have to be veteran member to contribute something of substance, but recently it seems as though there is a large amount of repetitive, whatever I'm thinking I'll post threads that just don't seem to......"fit". Almost as if, ( as has been suggested earlier and elsewhere at times), it's more important to have actually started a thread than what it consists of.

Memo to new members: You don't have to start threads to be recognized or respected< ( and for the most part, few are going to say " Wow. That ____ is something. Look at the threads he started). Take a look at some of the veteran posters and how many respond to them and how. Now take a look at how many threads they have started. For some, there is a large difference.

Find your way here. Let a part of who you are in real life interject itself in this community. Grow to care about the place and how special it is. Then it gets easy. :)

There is no solution but the way I see it, let it be or block people with under 50 posts to make threads.

But then again, I'm not heard unless I have 40k posts.

Really. So how do you explain TK "hearing" you with your 398, ( or however many it was at the time), posts and responding?

I joined this site in august and just started my first thread last week. There are so many people here that have so much info that I just try to keep up. With people like TK Bubba OM and Art if you just read your sure to learn a lot. Thanks for letting me just hang around everyday

Because Bubba is allowed to make a joke, and I'm not?

Oh please. A few of you fellows seem to be a little sensitive towards the thread bubba started a few days ago. Get over it. Now let's not divert here and don't be obtuse. Your sarcasm in the previous post was noted and accounted for. Jokes and sarcasm are many times exlcusive to each other. This appeared to be one of those times, ( " No really. I was joking"). Seems as though this thread has turned into a sort how to for new members. This is a good thing. Pessimism isn't exactly a solution and sarcasm doesn't help. Input does. That's all I'm saying.

:laugh: ok sure...

What's wrong with one liners? Esp in a thread like this?

Big picture here. ;) Some of us old timers & more veteran posters are trying to work on the signal to noise ratio that's been affecting this place for awhile now. Right now, one liners are only going to serve to derail what we've got going right now.

Oh please. A few of you fellows seem to be a little sensitive towards the thread bubba started a few days ago. Get over it. Now let's not divert here and don't be obtuse. Your sarcasm in the previous post was noted and accounted for. Jokes and sarcasm are many times exlcusive to each other. This appeared to be one of those times, ( " No really. I was joking"). Seems as though this thread has turned into a sort how to for new members. This is a good thing. Pessimism isn't exactly a solution and sarcasm doesn't help. Input does. That's all I'm saying.

I know what you're thinking. "Was he really joking?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a Redskins board, the most powerful football message board in the world, you've got to ask yourself a question: What was in the other half of his 2nd post in this topic?

I know what you're thinking. "Was he really joking?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a Redskins board, the most powerful football message board in the world, you've got to ask yourself a question: What was in the other half of his 2nd post in this topic?

That's the worst Clint Eastwood ever ;):D

ID, I remember the nature of our early interaction. You do well when you're not taking things too personally. :) You've made some pretty interesting posts in the last few months with some good ideas.

And I think you could be real good at showing how someone can be as invidual as you want and still keep the original spirit of the forum flying just by caring about the guidelines :cheers:

These type of threads always bring some interesting outlooks about the board.

All of the Redskins fans that post on these boards are here for the same reason. To learn about, evaluate, criticize, and discuss the Redskins.

I have no problems with newbs (We were all newbs at some point) .

I think for the most part Mods are (excuse the unintentional pun) extremely lenient with newer posters (that arent obvious trolls).

I often start to make a post or thread and after reading it back for mistakes realize that it is not needed. Not because my opinion isnt valid or valued, but because my opinion can be made in one of many threads already discussing this topic usually.

This is a wonderful community, with an astounding amount of comraderie and compassion among its members. Enjoy it, relish in the fact that you are surrounded by family and friends. At the same time respect it. Respect the older brothers and sisters that have paid their dues. Respect your fellow Redskins fan that is just as involved in the day to day happenings of this team that we have all come to love and cherish.

When I say HTTR, It incorporates all of us that are true fans, the organization, and the legends of past.

BTW - HTTR.

To add to what TK said.....

Here we have a prime example of somebody who thinks they know what makes this place tick, while actually not realizing what matters around here.......

Post counts don't mean squat around here unless there backed up by quality thought that contributes to the discussions at hand. High post counts don't demand respect, it has to earned with solid input to the forum. Ten thousand post of the type you display here will only make people view you for what you come off as................

:cheers:

I'll take it that what was said was with a light hearted overtone given the avatar you closed with, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you understand that I fully agree with you. What I posted in those three threads was to not be taken literally. I followed up with my true feelings in a couple posts later; however, to clarify a little more, let's address the suggestion that some have made that there be a minimum post count in order to be allowed to start threads. That could be a solution but it would create another problem. It's a given that there will be some people who post one word or one phrase comments that do not really contribute anything. Perhaps even reiterate something someone had already said and attribute it to themselves as an original thought. That would uneccesarily contribute to the monitoring and policing that the mods do already. So all in all, it's a give and take that seems to come out null in the end.

I joined this site in august and just started my first thread last week. There are so many people here that have so much info that I just try to keep up. With people like TK Bubba OM and Art if you just read your sure to learn a lot. Thanks for letting me just hang around everyday

Now... here's a kid (I use that just as a gesture) who gets it. He finds this site and immediately began reading and subsequently understanding what this board is all about. He indentified those who bring TRUE CONTENT to this board and understood that... when creating a thread... the model used should be those of the veteran members OR New Posters who create threads about Redskin issues, news, or team aspects.

What this board is not is comedy hour.... a one liners contest.... a board for personal attacks.... and post accumulation monuments. It's about all things Redskins... relevant Redskins issues.....and thought provoking opinions regarding all aspects of the Redskin organization. Here's an example of what probably isn't needed on this board.

**"We can't cut/trade Lavar... I just bought his jersey"

**"Brunell sucks... let's cut him" <-----just piling on... no facts offered

**"Should the Redskins change to gold shoelaces in their cleets?"

**"I know we don't have a 1st round pick, but let's draft Reggie Bush"

Come on guys... let's lift the informational value of this site by culling the threads created just to see them on the front page. If you provide insightful information or detailed opinion about an aspect of the Redskins.... by all means share it.... and we'll all read it and add our thoughts and subsequently create threads that delve into the subject manner from a variety of angles and viewpoints.

I think that it would be a HUGE mistake to drop all of this on only the new members. There are many longer term members who are just as bad, or worse, than a lot of the "noobs".

If you don't believe me I have two words for you.

game thread

I've discussed this and fully agree with Monte51. High-jacking threads by any poster by making numerous posts of certain close-minded, even obssessional, themes that they already provide with enough regularity that anyone who remains here a month will know them, is just one example of how to derail good agree/disagree discussions and instead substitute any-old-board dynamics.

One message maybe to get across, if I've recieved it accurately, is that this wasn't intended to be just another internet message board, so just because you're used to a certain level of chat-room or other-board behavior, doesn't mean it's what's desired on this site. And its not about Monte's or Jumbo's standards, thankfully, it's about knowing the rules and the guidelines of this forum.

Many people like to the throw "freedom" of expression or such out there when they feel defensive about their behavior. Well there is pleny of freedom. And America is free. But you can move into many communities, or buildings even, where there are rules and guidelines, even regarding expressions. And if you violate them enough, you are asked to leave. No one here is advocating anything like group-think, which stinks, or some draconian system, just pointing out a very common and normal reality.

Concerned and motivated people who appreciate all the effort that has gone into making this site the best there is, would love to see it remain that way and provide the pleasure to everyone that we have been fortunate enough to enjoy.

Archived